• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nintendo Switch

I didn't get a Wii U because I didn't really see it as all that big an improvement over my Wii which I already had a ton of games for. I camped out before Christmas one year to get my Wii. Well actually it is my son's Wii from Santa Claus. I don't think I'll pre order the switch. But I'll eventually get one. I have always liked Nintendo's console specific games and hence why I buy their systems.
I didn't get a Wii U and still the only thing I'd want it for that my Wii can't do is LEGO Dimensions. Which isn't even coming to the Switch. $300 isn't an awful price for the switch, though I wish it was $249, but the extra costs for accessories and the unknown costs like expanding memory, possible online subscription and $60 price point for games just adds up to not worth it.

To me the only two true gaming hardware companies out there are Nintendo and Sega; nowadays Sega has, following the Dreamcast, departed the market. Microsoft and Sony are all very well, but they don't seem to be the same as Nintendo. I don't know why, it just feels that way to me.

It looks cool, I'm sure we'll eventually own it but most likely won't happen until next Christmas. I really like the Wii U because one kid can be playing it while the other can be watching TV or playing the Xbox or regular Wii. If the Switch can do the same we'll upgrade eventually, hopefully with a bundle deal.

To me the only two true gaming hardware companies out there are Nintendo and Sega; nowadays Sega has, following the Dreamcast, departed the market. Microsoft and Sony are all very well, but they don't seem to be the same as Nintendo. I don't know why, it just feels that way to me.

Nintendo created their legacy with Mario. That brand has stood the test of time and always gives them a built in advantage. Sega had the hedgehog but that doesn't compare. And Sony doesn't really have much although when they came up with the original Playstation, they were #1 by a landslide at that point.

Nintendo created their legacy with Mario. That brand has stood the test of time and always gives them a built in advantage. Sega had the hedgehog but that doesn't compare. And Sony doesn't really have much although when they came up with the original Playstation, they were #1 by a landslide at that point.

I am actually really fond of Sonic, but you are right: Mario made the transition to 3D far more successfully than Sonic. For me, Sonic was the superior 2D game but was only about a 80% game in 3D, whilst Mario excelled at about 96% :)

It looks cool, I'm sure we'll eventually own it but most likely won't happen until next Christmas. I really like the Wii U because one kid can be playing it while the other can be watching TV or playing the Xbox or regular Wii. If the Switch can do the same we'll upgrade eventually, hopefully with a bundle deal.

Switch can definitely do that as the system really is a handheld, in that unlike WiiU all of the hardware is in the screen with no need for a base station. Think of it like a fancy tablet that hooks up to your TV too.

I've got my preorder in as well. I actually preordered 2, because I'm paranoid one will get screwed up somehow, lol. One online at Best Buy, one in person at GameStop.

I think the Switch is the perfect console for parents (and I mean for us to play, not the kids, haha). I barely have enough time to play video games, so the portable aspect is really useful just so I can play in different places around the house.

A lot of times after the kids are asleep, my wife likes to watch TV, which leaves me in a bit of a quandary. I'd like to play some games, but that means going to play in the bedroom. This is sort of a shame because I don't get much alone time with my wife as it is, so having the Switch will be nice so I can sit with her on the couch and play.

I've got my preorder in as well. I actually preordered 2, because I'm paranoid one will get screwed up somehow, lol. One online at Best Buy, one in person at GameStop.

I think the Switch is the perfect console for parents (and I mean for us to play, not the kids, haha). I barely have enough time to play video games, so the portable aspect is really useful just so I can play in different places around the house.

A lot of times after the kids are asleep, my wife likes to watch TV, which leaves me in a bit of a quandary. I'd like to play some games, but that means going to play in the bedroom. This is sort of a shame because I don't get much alone time with my wife as it is, so having the Switch will be nice so I can sit with her on the couch and play.

That's why I liked the PSP and later Vita with the PS3/4. You can play PS3/4 games remote on the PSP and PS vita. The signal isn't very strong though so you have to be in the same room as the system.

Bringing this back...who got one?

I picked up my red/blue one this morning along with Zelda Breath of the Wild. I might download that racing game for it too, but holding off on anything else for now. Zelda, which I've only played for a hour or so, is pretty amazing, but different from previous Zelda games. It is apparently a masterpeice though and reviews are extremely positive. I leave for WDW on Sunday for a few days, but I think this baby's gonna make the trip with me.

Last edited:
Waiting for ours from Best Buy, shipping says Monday. Should know better than to trust them, they screw up everything.

Snipperclips looks like a great game for $20.

My son was at Target this morning at 7:00 a.m. and was able to get the Red/Blue Switch, Limited Edition Zelda game and a pro controller. He seems to love it.

I may buy one if more games are released. However, Nintendo has really put me off in the past several years with their practice of creating demand through manufactured scarcity (or they are grossly incompetent at determining demand for their products).

My husband's just arrived from Best Buy. He's stuck in traffic on his way home from work. He also got the Zelda game and a pro-controller.

I saw this yesterday and was like WTH? I can't believe they actually spent money to do something so kids don't eat them. How bizarre. And how did one end up in a gamer's mouth to "notice the repellent flavour"? This game cartridge smells delicious, I think I'll eat it! :)

I dunno, often I find myself thinking, why not nosh down on that games console over there?

GameStop had a midnight launch, so my husband picked it up and then this morning he and my son set it before school.

After school my son and I played 1-2 Switch. We played Ping Pong. Just sound. Lordy. Then he played Zelda for a bit on the big screen, and switched to the small screen to have a snack. Zelda is beautiful and looks like a lot of fun.

Now he's on the couch. Sleeping. Yup, launch day and he's sleeping. That's what happens when there's only two games (and one of them really doesn't count).

Again, the disclaimer here is that I'm just the mom what do I know. I'm clearly missing the point of this whole thing. lol

GameStop had a midnight launch, so my husband picked it up and then this morning he and my son set it before school.

After school my son and I played 1-2 Switch. We played Ping Pong. Just sound. Lordy. Then he played Zelda for a bit on the big screen, and switched to the small screen to have a snack. Zelda is beautiful and looks like a lot of fun.

Now he's on the couch. Sleeping. Yup, launch day and he's sleeping. That's what happens when there's only two games (and one of them really doesn't count).

Again, the disclaimer here is that I'm just the mom what do I know. I'm clearly missing the point of this whole thing. lol

You could verify the above post - pop the console in your mouth and have a good ol' munch :)

I tasted the cartridge because my BF dared me to and I am twelve, apparently.

It's like that stuff they used to sell to keep you from biting your nails.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter