Nintendo Switch

BrianL

Doom Buggy Driver
Who's after one of these babies? The presentation last night was really good I thought and I was very excited, but even now just this morning all the pre-orders seem to be gone. Man, nerds move fast! I'm kinda uncertain now if I can snag one. I was okay with that at first, since it launches on March 3rd, 2 days before I go to Disney. I figured it'd just sit at home anyway, until I realized I could take it with me! Uh, right, that's the point. I hope they aren't too hard to get.

High Points:
All the tech in those tiny controllers
New Mario Game
Arms fighting game
Splatoon 2
Zelda (of course!)

Low Points:
Paid online & no details about the system - they really need a better one if they're going to charge
Price - a tad steep, but not bad considering
Not a lot of launch games

I still want one though!

Last edited:
I love the look of this console and the fact it is handheld and TV console. I have had all their handhelds From game and watch to DS. No way this is passing by! I'm in. Zelda yes please!

My husband stayed up late last night to watch the presentation and was able to get a pre-order from Best Buy early this morning (Amazon pre-orders were already gone). He has been waiting for this for a long time, but he was disappointed by the lack of launch games. He is excited about Zelda but very disappointed that the new Mario game won't be out till next Christmas. He'd also heard rumors that it would be $250, so the $299 price tag was a bit disappointing (and he said that extra accessories seem pricey too.)

My husband stayed up late last night to watch the presentation and was able to get a pre-order from Best Buy early this morning (Amazon pre-orders were already gone). He has been waiting for this for a long time, but he was disappointed by the lack of launch games. He is excited about Zelda but very disappointed that the new Mario game won't be out till next Christmas. He'd also heard rumors that it would be $250, so the $299 price tag was a bit disappointing (and he said that extra accessories seem pricey too.)

That new Mario looks so great! I don't mind waiting until the holidays, but I slow-burn my games. I'll probably barely be finished with Zelda by then. I know some people are disappointed by the launch-day lineup, but I don't really need more than one or two games at a time.

The Joy-Cons are pricey, but they do so much! They each have motion controls, IR cameras that can detect proximity of objects, enhanced force feedback (I haven't figured out if this is like haptics or not). I did not like the look of them by themselves, but the straps with the extra piece on top makes them look much better.

I went directly to a GameStop store to preorder.

I'm not sold on how it will supposedly replace the wii/wii u. The tech is great, but I already have a shelf full of games that it looks like I will still need the Wii U in order to play. And with only two games so far for the Switch, I don't see the draw. BUT there are others in the family with their own opinion and cash, so it's been preordered.

Preorder placed this morning!

i did have some trouble with the Target site, but after a few tries I got my confirmation email.

Have one pre-ordered with Target. Honestly, don't think I will keep it. No Mario launch game....again. Controller prices are a joke! $70 for a Pro. $80 for the Joy-Con, $30 for the Joy-Con Charging grip ($110!).

I will keep the pre-order and debate it. Maybe I will wait for Mario to launch or a price drop.

Gamestop has them for pre-order right now. I had one, went all the way to checkout but decided not to. Not enough games and not sure 2 of my 3 kids will even want it.

Already preordered. The Zelda launch day game was enough to get us on board. Now to find another plug in the living room haha. We already used up all the outlets in our 2 surge protectors with all the tech we have.

Haven't bought a gaming system in years as I kind of outgrew it but might be interested again. So this is mainly a portable system but you can also "switch" it and use it on a large TV. Do I have it about right? If I have a 4K TV, would I get the 4k resolution with this system?

Haven't bought a gaming system in years as I kind of outgrew it but might be interested again. So this is mainly a portable system but you can also "switch" it and use it on a large TV. Do I have it about right? If I have a 4K TV, would I get the 4k resolution with this system?

It is really both. The system itself is a screen though so really is a new market completely since it is suppose to seamlessly go between handheld and tv.

Last edited:

According to Forbes, the answer is "no" regarding 4K. It will run at 1080p in docked mode, and 780p with the handheld screen. http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...-know-about-the-nintendo-switch/#4b942e60d584

Sorry for doubly reply the dock will only allow up to 1080 output but you may get closer to 4K with your tvs built in upcoverter. Some tech reports say it has the brains capable of 4K but no games are being released that high and the default (possibly unchangable) output in dock mode is 1080. In handheld and tabletop mode it is 720.

DH watched the presentation and was excited. He thought Arms looked surprisingly fun and of course is super hyped for Zelda. We were going to pre-order but now he's having second thoughts, especially since the new Zelda game can be played on the WiiU. We'll see!

Got my preorder in at Gamestop. And Zelda Special Edition (No Master Edition :( boo). And ready to download 1 2 Switch so its always in the system wherever I take it.

So this is mainly a portable system but you can also "switch" it and use it on a large TV. Do I have it about right?

You do have it right, but I think it is really more of a TV console with he added benefit of being portable. Nintendo seems to be positioning it as more of a console, with console-like games. Battery life is also an issue (though surely there will be accessories for extended battery). They say it will replace the Wii U, but won't replace the 3DS (because the 3DS actually sells), however, it will probably eventually replace both.

I think the idea is genius and I'll probably wait to pick one up until my birthday in May. I used to have a Wii and I loved it, so I'm sure I'll love ths just as much. I'm a bit of a gamer girl, so this is definitely something I'll want at some point.

I didn't get a Wii U because I didn't really see it as all that big an improvement over my Wii which I already had a ton of games for. I camped out before Christmas one year to get my Wii. Well actually it is my son's Wii from Santa Claus. I don't think I'll pre order the switch. But I'll eventually get one. I have always liked Nintendo's console specific games and hence why I buy their systems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter