News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jurassic World has the same old plot from the previous movies. Inside Out was much better, in my opinion. No wonder Hollywood is making tons of reboots/sequels.
While yes it did I thought JW was a much better sequel to the first movie than the sequel that was made before it. Saw inside out yesterday and thought it was very very good another big hit for pixar. No doubt pixar is the best animation studio out there today. Hopefully Iger sees that the movie is doing good and they put it in some way in the parks.

Jurassic World has the same old plot from the previous movies. Inside Out was much better, in my opinion. No wonder Hollywood is making tons of reboots/sequels.

Even my twelve year old daughter who liked Jurassic World said "It's just dinosaurs eating people...what else would you expect." There's pretty much a limit to what you can do with a Jurassic Park/World movie. It's why it isn't really a sustainable long-term franchise. I think the reason it hit was it was just long enough that parents remember the original fondly, while the kids haven't had one of their own. They can maybe milk another sequel, but returns will diminish quickly I would think. (Though I could be wrong - people still seem to pay about a billion a movie for Transformers movies and those are literally the same movie over and over again.)

While yes it did I thought JW was a much better sequel to the first movie than the sequel that was made before it. Saw inside out yesterday and thought it was very very good another big hit for pixar. No doubt pixar is the best animation studio out there today. Hopefully Iger sees that the movie is doing good and they put it in some way in the parks.

They have an Inside Out "pre parade" before the DCA Pixar Parade. They characters were on a float with Joy as the star. Anger would occasionally shoot flames out of his head. There is even a cute and inspiring graffiti wall with Inside Out quotes in front of the Downtown Disney AMC. I was rather impressed that TPTB had all this ready to go at the same time that the movie was released. Guess they learned from the Frozen debacle.

Even my twelve year old daughter who liked Jurassic World said "It's just dinosaurs eating people...what else would you expect." There's pretty much a limit to what you can do with a Jurassic Park/World movie. It's why it isn't really a sustainable long-term franchise. I think the reason it hit was it was just long enough that parents remember the original fondly, while the kids haven't had one of their own. They can maybe milk another sequel, but returns will diminish quickly I would think. (Though I could be wrong - people still seem to pay about a billion a movie for Transformers movies and those are literally the same movie over and over again.)

Not trying to argue to argue, but if there is another squeal, doesnt 5 films over a 25 year span actually mean a sustainable long term franchise?

They have an Inside Out "pre parade" before the DCA Pixar Parade. They characters were on a float with Joy as the star. Anger would occasionally shoot flames out of his head. There is even a cute and inspiring graffiti wall with Inside Out quotes in front of the Downtown Disney AMC. I was rather impressed that TPTB had all this ready to go at the same time that the movie was released. Guess they learned from the Frozen debacle.
It would be nice if they did something in WDW tho. I saw the preparade and it seems disneyland always gets those types of things.

It would be nice if they did something in WDW tho. I saw the preparade and it seems disneyland always gets those types of things.

DL does a lot for promotions up until the opening weekend for a film. After the opening weekend, you'll often be hard pressed to find anything more than a poster somewhere for a current-run Disney movie. Even the merchandise is pulled form the shelves after the opening weekend. If the movie is a hit, then they'll order more merchandise to be made for it.

DL does a lot for promotions up until the opening weekend for a film. After the opening weekend, you'll often be hard pressed to find anything more than a poster somewhere for a current-run Disney movie. Even the merchandise is pulled form the shelves after the opening weekend. If the movie is a hit, then they'll order more merchandise to be made for it.
That's very true but with the movie being popular you'd think we'd see a meet and greet with joy or something.

That's very true but with the movie being popular you'd think we'd see a meet and greet with joy or something.

They have to ask, "will that make us $$$?"

Any promotion after opening weekend won't really affect ticket sells. Now they have to see if the movie will move merchandise from the shelves of Walmart and Target; and figure out if people will plan trips to WDW for the characters (Frozen! - did you see my jazz hands?) before they'll pay someone to climb into a costume to promote it further. There are people with calculators standing by making that decision.

They have to ask, "will that make us $$$?"

Any promotion after opening weekend won't really affect ticket sells. Now they have to see if the movie will move merchandise from the shelves of Walmart and Target; and figure out if people will plan trips to WDW for the characters (Frozen! - did you see my jazz hands?) before they'll pay someone to climb into a costume to promote it further. There are people with calculators standing by making that decision.
I agree but that never used to be how Disney did things. I know that my 9 year old sister who saw the movie is already asking my mother to buy her inside out merch. This obviously isn't frozen or a princess movie so merchandise isn't going to go as well as those do.

I agree but that never used to be how Disney did things. I know that my 9 year old sister who saw the movie is already asking my mother to buy her inside out merch. This obviously isn't frozen or a princess movie so merchandise isn't going to go as well as those do.

I was typing in another thread the DL is far more flexible than WDW. WDW deals with a LOT more people and people who are kinda trapped...er, staying...for days or weeks on-site (or near site). Everything about WDW has be economized and more more efficient. Meet 'n' Greets were placed indoors with FP's; ADR's booked 6 months out; rides booked 2 months out; restaurants were redesigned to move and seat thousands of people, etc. In an effort to more more efficient and serve more guests at once, the unique, intimate, personal touches and interactions went away. By comaprison, DL is still mostly a day park visited by locals are for one day during a larger So. Cal. trip. The schedule is published 45 days out and even then changes often. People don't pre-book restaurants or rides, and the characters are found outside throughout the park (often rarer characters make appearances as well...it's just a change of costume) with no set schedule to plan around. DL, is much more like MK was in the '80's. When people ask me to compare WDW to DL, I usually start with saying WDW is like a cafeteria whereas DL is more of a cafe. I think every little change at WDW is considered a monkey-wrench in the system.

Let's suppose Disney isn't opening anything new for the next 5-6 years at DHS. What on Earth are they going to do with that park over the next five years? As much as they want it to, the Frozen Summer Fun isn't going to sustain that park for too long, even with a sequel on the works. I know they are closing attractions that are not super popular, but they're still experiences that take people away from the main rides and add some extra stuff to do during the day.

I say phased openings are going to happen at Star Wars land.

WDWNT says the magic of disney animation in DHS will be closing down soon. There have been rumors that more will be closing this year at DHS. Though this will make me sad if it does because I loved the animation academy and learning to draw characters.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/06/rumor...on-set-to-close-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

My wife loves the drawing academy, even though the crowds there have grown considerably lately. However, as I've been saying for a while..if these closures actually lead to something major, then go right on ahead.

Let's suppose Disney isn't opening anything new for the next 5-6 years at DHS. What on Earth are they going to do with that park over the next five years? As much as they want it to, the Frozen Summer Fun isn't going to sustain that park for too long, even with a sequel on the works. I know they are closing attractions that are not super popular, but they're still experiences that take people away from the main rides and add some extra stuff to do during the day.

I say phased openings are going to happen at Star Wars land.

I agree - there's no way they close all this stuff and then sit on it for 5-6 years before it opens. It will definitely be a phasing in of stuff. My guess is the Pixar Place expansion will come in first, within probably 2 years. The Star Wars stuff will take a little longer. How long did DCA take? I say 4 years to completion at most - which is still way too long, but I think that they will want it all completely in place as the lead up to the 50th anniversary. (I can't believe they aren't starting to see attendance at DHS sagging from all the closures. I mean, they haven't closed anything really popular, but if LMA goes away and they do something with Indiana Jones, people will start avoiding that park in droves.

How long did DCA take? I say 4 years to completion at most - which is still way too long,...

It was 5 years from announcement to full completion. But, with DCA, the existing park stayed open. Cars Land was built in what was backstage land. The rest of the changes were a "pardon our dust" situation where most of the theming was removed and rebuilt will the parks were opened.

Plus, I think the first year of Cars Land development was demolition, if their closing off park of DHS already, that may be underway.

Yeah, I insist that Disney can build fast if they want to. If attendance starts to suffer, they'll do it faster. Of course, according to the rumors the board isn't happy with the stuff the Imagineers have pitched, so that's also important to consider.

It's just interesting to see how confident they seem at closing pretty much all the crowd eaters 5 years before the alleged opening ceremony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter