News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's suppose Disney isn't opening anything new for the next 5-6 years at DHS. What on Earth are they going to do with that park over the next five years? As much as they want it to, the Frozen Summer Fun isn't going to sustain that park for too long, even with a sequel on the works. I know they are closing attractions that are not super popular, but they're still experiences that take people away from the main rides and add some extra stuff to do during the day.

I say phased openings are going to happen at Star Wars land.
That's why the rumor is Pixar will be first to open and then Star Wars so it gives something for people to do.

Spirit popped back in to say Board of Directors is indeed headed for WDW tomorrow to go over plans for DHS. Over is already there and staying at GF. What happens during their meetings will have a direct affect as to what happens or is announced in August.

What's funny is it's still the 2nd biggest Pixar opening ever, just they failed to come in first.

We actually saw BOTH movies over the weekend. Both very good if not quite great. (Though I admit only Inside Out left me wanting to see another movie with the same characters.) One made us want to go on an existing ride in a Universal Theme Park, the other made us long for a dead pavilion in a Disney Theme Park.

It was however the biggest opening in history for an original property movie.

What is startling about Inside Out's weekend is that it is the highest opening weekend ever for an original property (that is to say one that is not a sequel or a non-sourced work), passing Avatar, which made $77M on its December 18-20, 2009 bow.

Let's suppose Disney isn't opening anything new for the next 5-6 years at DHS. What on Earth are they going to do with that park over the next five years? As much as they want it to, the Frozen Summer Fun isn't going to sustain that park for too long

Errr ... Inside Out Summer Fun?

Running a half-park for people to visit with the half-price portions of their multiday passes is easy. All they need is to have a hit movie every 2 years or so, or else they can always use special events to milk the properties that have pent-up demand. Like Star Wars ... bounty hunter training academy anyone? Are there any popular or recent-hit Marvel characters not locked up by Universal? Just put on a meet and greet and a special breakfast and souvenir stand and the fans will beat a path to your door.

Errr ... Inside Out Summer Fun?

Running a half-park for people to visit with the half-price portions of their multiday passes is easy. All they need is to have a hit movie every 2 years or so, or else they can always use special events to milk the properties that have pent-up demand. Like Star Wars ... bounty hunter training academy anyone? Are there any popular or recent-hit Marvel characters not locked up by Universal? Just put on a meet and greet and a special breakfast and souvenir stand and the fans will beat a path to your door.

The Frozen phenomena happens once or twice every decade. No movie has affected the parks this much probably since Lion King and Toy Story. DHS attendance probably hasn't suffered because of Frozen. I doubt they can replicate that with a simple hit, they need THE hit. A park that is becoming less family friendly every year may as well be skipped.

It shouldn't reduce its numbers significantly anyways. Unlike DL, WDW can rely on its first-timer tourist based clientele that will probably go to DHS anyways.

Last edited:
It was 5 years from announcement to full completion. But, with DCA, the existing park stayed open. Cars Land was built in what was backstage land. The rest of the changes were a "pardon our dust" situation where most of the theming was removed and rebuilt will the parks were opened.

Plus, I think the first year of Cars Land development was demolition, if their closing off park of DHS already, that may be underway.

But my guess is this would be similar. They will close off the rear portion of the park, and keep much of the front open. They might have a hard time selling 1-day tickets, but I don't think it'll hit them too hard. My guess is they'll play it like a magician, and "wave their hands" at the Frozen ride and new AK stuff and hope no-one notices that DHS is half a park.

Yeah, I insist that Disney can build fast if they want to. If attendance starts to suffer, they'll do it faster. Of course, according to the rumors the board isn't happy with the stuff the Imagineers have pitched, so that's also important to consider.

It's just interesting to see how confident they seem at closing pretty much all the crowd eaters 5 years before the alleged opening ceremony.

What "crowd eaters" are they closing. My guess is all the rides stay open. (There's only 5 rides in the park.) They leave TSMM open and add the new Pixar stuff behind it. I would guess (don't care about rumors) that the Indiana Jones show stays open as does Star tours, and everything behind THAT closes. I know its' rumored Indiana jones is closing, but I bet it doesn't, at least not until Pixar Place opens.

The rumor about the board wanting more/bigger...I don't buy that. How would that leak?? Only the very HIGHEST would know that. Those people don't spill.

Spirit has now said that he has also heard the Animation is closing. After that he said 2-3 more things will close before the start of the year.

But my guess is this would be similar. They will close off the rear portion of the park, and keep much of the front open. They might have a hard time selling 1-day tickets, but I don't think it'll hit them too hard. My guess is they'll play it like a magician, and "wave their hands" at the Frozen ride and new AK stuff and hope no-one notices that DHS is half a park.

What "crowd eaters" are they closing. My guess is all the rides stay open. (There's only 5 rides in the park.) They leave TSMM open and add the new Pixar stuff behind it. I would guess (don't care about rumors) that the Indiana Jones show stays open as does Star tours, and everything behind THAT closes. I know its' rumored Indiana jones is closing, but I bet it doesn't, at least not until Pixar Place opens.

The rumor about the board wanting more/bigger...I don't buy that. How would that leak?? Only the very HIGHEST would know that. Those people don't spill.

Well, Backlot Tour was a high capacity ride. If they close Indiana Jones or LMA, or even both since they've been rumored to get the axe, then you'd have another high capacity attraction being closed. Even Beauty and the Beast has been rumored to get replaced. All the other rides that have been closed are pretty minor attractions, but still, the people who used to go into those attractions will now accumulate at the major rides, specially the family friendly ones (hence the TSMM third track addition and the recent interest on GMR).

Spirit has now said that he has also heard the Animation is closing. After that he said 2-3 more things will close before the start of the year.

I'm going to WDW in November and have a 1:05 pm Fantasmic lunch package at Mama Melrose and then planned to spend the rest of the day at HS...after my 3 FPs, I hope there's enough to do until Fantasmic and Osborne lights that night. Was hoping to actually try Animation this trip. I always skipped it in the past and was looking forward to finally going this trip!

So that would just leave the Animation Academy in California? That seems like such a popular attraction to just can entirely, I'm hoping at least they could move it to a different space. Between Star Tours, TSMM, RNR, and Tower of Terror....without the Animation Building, you can pretty much knock out DHS in 3 hours.

So that would just leave the Animation Academy in California? That seems like such a popular attraction to just can entirely, I'm hoping at least they could move it to a different space. Between Star Tours, TSMM, RNR, and Tower of Terror....without the Animation Building, you can pretty much knock out DHS in 3 hours.
Well spirit didn't say but there have been rumors that animation at DHS would change a bit. Movie with mushu would leave and drawing studio would be expanded. Meet and greets can always be moved wherever.

Well spirit didn't say but there have been rumors that animation at DHS would change a bit. Movie with mushu would leave and drawing studio would be expanded. Meet and greets can always be moved wherever.

I can get behind getting rid of Mushu. Seems like that was there when in went back in '98. Expanded drawing studio would be great.....always usually a line to get in to the next class.

To go along with the disney quest rumors. Disney has gotten rid of the disney quest vouchers they give to those who buy packages in 2016. Does this mean disney quest is indeed going away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter