Mom & Dad - But Where's the Son? Empty Nest F&W Trip! - Update 1/12 - Frontera & Jocks!

GoofySon'sMom

DIS Veteran
Hello! I am having some serious WDW planning withdrawals so its time to start the latest Dining Report!

DH and I spent 12 days celebrating our 25th anniversary at most magical place on earth. Our first trip together without the DS since 2004!

Here we are ...

We spent 9 nights at POP before moving to Bay Lake Tower for our last three nights. In the interest of full disclosure, our actual anniversary was June 1st. We didn't celebrate or go to dinner on that day as I knew I wanted to fully celebrate at F&W so we waited until October. The 3 nights at BLT were my gift so I didn't feel guilty saying that we were celebrating our anniversary as that was true!

We honeymooned at the Grand Floridian back before Disney made such a big deal about weddings and honeymoons so I felt like a giddy young girl again!

DH had never been to F&W and I only went for one long weekend with DS several years ago. I booked several events including a Party for the Senses. We made it our mission to try something at every Food Booth purely for reporting purposes! LOL

So, please come along for the ride!

We arrived last on Thursday, October 20th. We got to the MK bright and early on Friday the 21st to upgrade our tickets to APs and purchase TIW. I knew about the new AP dining discounts but we are planning at least 3 trips next year and will be eating at several restaurants that only have the 10% discount plus there is the alcohol to consider! So TIW it is for us!

I felt it fitting that our first meal be in the Castle so I booked a later breakfast at CRT. We had a perfect window seat!

First up the pastries ...

Including the very cute Mickey muffins ...

These were fine and very sadly the highlight of our meal. DH had the shrimp and grits

Very odd grits cake and not the creamy grits that are more traditional. He said the shrimp were fine but all in all it was a bit weird

I had the steak and eggs ...

What can I say about this? It was just not good. The steak was tough and chewy. The omelet egg thing was bland. The broccolini was actually quite good and for sure the highlight of my plate.

All in all not a great start to our vacation. We left hoping this would be the worst dining experience of our trip. Unfortunately, it wasn't even the worst meal of the day!

As CRT is prepaid, we received a $20.25 credit with the TIW card. Meal was somewhat rushed. Our server was efficient but not super friendly. The interaction with the princesses was actually quite good. And you really cannot beat the atmosphere. So no real regrets for this meal but after several meals at CRT, this will be our last.

Joining in, I was not impressed with our breakfast at CRT either. Very rushed and so so food and wait staff. Looking forward to all your reviews.

Joining in for your trip report. I'm having Disney withdraws. I can't wait for a trip with just DH and no kids. :love: That's too bad about your meal. Those shrimp and grits do look different. Not all like the shrimp and grits I had at Boatwright. I hope your trip gets better.

Here and excited to read more! :thumbsup2

Joining in, I was not impressed with our breakfast at CRT either. Very rushed and so so food and wait staff. Looking forward to all your reviews.

Joining in for your trip report. I'm having Disney withdraws. I can't wait for a trip with just DH and no kids. :love: That's too bad about your meal. Those shrimp and grits do look different. Not all like the shrimp and grits I had at Boatwright. I hope your trip gets better.

Welcome! Thanks for coming along!

It was very hot and crowded in the MK so after seeing the very cute new Muppet show and watching the Castle Friendship Faire, we headed over to EPCOT. We were both a bit hungry but didn't want to eat much due to our upcoming late lunch so we decided to share our first F&W snack ...
  • Artist Palette of Wine and Cheese: Trio of Artisan Cheese paired with Conundrum White Blend 25th Anniversary, Kurt Russell's GoGi "Goldie" Chardonnay and Robert Mondavi Maestro Red Blend

This was the perfect way to start our food vacation. Neither of us loved the Chardonnay but the other two wines were good and the cheeses hit the spot.

On our way to catch the boat to DHS, I couldn't resist one more stop ...

OMG! The Dole Whip with coconut rum! This was absolutely delicious. I promised myself I would get another one but unfortunately never did.

Two unplanned snacks as we intended to start our F&W snacking the next day definitely got us ready for the rest of the booths!

We had a late lunch planned at ...

I really wanted to try the Wagyu Burger and chicken sandwich that are only available at lunch ...

First up the rolls and salted butter ...

Rolls were hot and crunchy on the outside. I was determined to limit the bread/roll baskets this trip or I would have had more than one!

We then split the Cobb Salad ...

And mixed and split ...

This was, as always, salad perfection. I love the way the ingredients are finely chopped. Even when I try to do it at home, I just can't get it so perfectly!

After the salad came one of the best things we ate all week! Be hold the Wagyu burger ...

And the chicken sandwich

And a blurry pic of my half of each ...

I absolutely loved the burger. I am a sucker for an egg on a burger any way but then throw on some pastrami and I am hooked! The chicken sandwich was just ok for me but DH loved it.

Definitely looking forward to having these again in the future! $11.30 saved with TIW!

After spending the rest of the day at DHS, we headed back to the boat to try a new restaurant for us ...

Trattoria Al Forno

We were really looking forward to trying this as we are both a fan of antipasto platters and Tuscan wine

DH got a glass of a red wine that I didn't write down (Bad!). I had the Tour of Italy wine flight

First up the Pinot Grigio

This was very good. Crispy, a bit citrus-y. I enjoyed it a lot.

Then the Chianti

Again, very good. It paired very well with the antipasto platter (coming soon ....!)

Last but definitely not least, the Barolo

This was my favorite of the three ... I planned to enjoy it with our shared "main course" ...

Continued next post

After our huge lunch, we decided to share a couple of appetizers and a pizza. First up the Italian Cured Meats (serves 2)
small_gold_star.png
- with pickled vegetables and seasonal accompaniments

This was very well done. The meats were perfect. I enjoyed the Chianti very much with this.

We also tried the Grilled Treviso - with ciabatta, croutons and creamy garlic dressing

This was a very interesting take on a warm Caesar salad. The Treviso was slightly bitter and went well with the creamy dressing. I definitely enjoyed this.

So after two successful appetizers we waited for the Fennel Sausage, Salametto Piccante and House-pickled Peppers pizza we ordered. And we waited ... and waited. Our server came over and said it was coming up. Then came back a second time to say she was checking on it. SO we waited some more. 45 minutes after she had cleared our appetizer plates, she came to tell us that they never made our pizza! Then she actually said that they made so many pizzas that night that ours was overlooked. WHAT?!

Needless to say we told her never mind and asked for the check. ($13.60 saved with TIW) She did apologize but that was it. The only time this trip I was made about the automatic TIW tip!

On the way out we walked by the open kitchen and one of the sous chefs asked how our meal was. I couldn't help but say that we didn't know because they forgot to cook it! The look on his face made me regret saying anything. He seemed truly horrified and asked what they could do. Unfortunately too little too late.

So as much as we did enjoy the apps and wine, we more than likely will not go back.

I always enjoy your reviews. Looking forward to the rest. Congrats on your 25th anniversary.:hug:

Looks like a great time. We had planned an empty nest trip for early December - then one of our kids got off from work and has invited herself!

We were there around the same time as you (10/16-10/24) and also had issues at Trattoria al Forno, though different than what happened to you guys (at least our food made it to us!). It's actually the first review in the report I just started yesterday. They don't seem to be well equipped to handle a busy dinner rush if they are struggling to seat and feed people properly.

At any rate, hope things improved for the rest of your trip. Congrats on the anniversary! :)

That's too bad about the wait for pizza at Trattoria Al Forno. We haven't eaten there. But I hate when the service doesn't go well, disappointment with a meal. You express their failure, when they clearly realize their fault on something, and they do nothing. It just leaves you feeling gypped.

Hi Vicki!!!! So happy to find one of your reports, even if there is no son this time around :-)

Sorry CRT was a bust of a start but it looks like F&W and Brown Derby made up for it. We had a bad experience at the derby but I've been wanting to try lunch and give it a second trip. Jason wasn't down with that until I just showed him your burger pic. Think you may have just earned me a visit next trip.

I can't believe Il Mulino forgot your food and did nothing to make up for it. I don't blame you for not going back, though what you did eat looks pretty darn good

Joining in!

Grits Cakes - blech! Grits should be creamy and cheesy!

Trattoria al Forno seems like one of those places we aren't going to go out of our way for. I've eaten there once for dinner and once for breakfast. Dinner was just ok - I ate there with a girlfriend before a the Princess Half in 2015. Breakfast was good for me but my friend had gotten her meal miss cooked and had to send it back. With so many better Italian options like Il Mulino or Tutto Italia, I rather spend my mother at those places!

I always enjoy your reviews. Looking forward to the rest. Congrats on your 25th anniversary.:hug:

Thanks!

Looks like a great time. We had planned an empty nest trip for early December - then one of our kids got off from work and has invited herself!

I wasn't sure how I would feel without DS but we had an awesome trip!

We were there around the same time as you (10/16-10/24) and also had issues at Trattoria al Forno, though different than what happened to you guys (at least our food made it to us!). It's actually the first review in the report I just started yesterday. They don't seem to be well equipped to handle a busy dinner rush if they are struggling to seat and feed people properly.

At any rate, hope things improved for the rest of your trip. Congrats on the anniversary! :)

Thank you and yes things definitely improved!

Looking forward to following along! Congratulations on your anniversary

Thank you!

That's too bad about the wait for pizza at Trattoria Al Forno. We haven't eaten there. But I hate when the service doesn't go well, disappointment with a meal. You express their failure, when they clearly realize their fault on something, and they do nothing. It just leaves you feeling gypped.

Yes, I cannot believe they forgot to cook our food! Mostly I just didn't like the way the server handled it.

Hi Vicki!!!! So happy to find one of your reports, even if there is no son this time around :-)

Sorry CRT was a bust of a start but it looks like F&W and Brown Derby made up for it. We had a bad experience at the derby but I've been wanting to try lunch and give it a second trip. Jason wasn't down with that until I just showed him your burger pic. Think you may have just earned me a visit next trip.

I can't believe Il Mulino forgot your food and did nothing to make up for it. I don't blame you for not going back, though what you did eat looks pretty darn good

Trattoria Al Forno forgot our food - I wish we had eaten at Il Mulino! LOL I hope Jason will reconsider HBD. The Cobb Salad is one of my top favorite WDW foods and the burger was truly amazing!

Joining in!

Grits Cakes - blech! Grits should be creamy and cheesy!

Trattoria al Forno seems like one of those places we aren't going to go out of our way for. I've eaten there once for dinner and once for breakfast. Dinner was just ok - I ate there with a girlfriend before a the Princess Half in 2015. Breakfast was good for me but my friend had gotten her meal miss cooked and had to send it back. With so many better Italian options like Il Mulino or Tutto Italia, I rather spend my mother at those places!

I totally agree on Trattoria. I didn't understand the decision to put another Italian restaurant there and my meal did not change my opinion.

We had a late lunch planned at ...

I really wanted to try the Wagyu Burger and chicken sandwich that are only available at lunch ...

First up the rolls and salted butter ...

Rolls were hot and crunchy on the outside. I was determined to limit the bread/roll baskets this trip or I would have had more than one!

We then split the Cobb Salad ...

And mixed and split ...

This was, as always, salad perfection. I love the way the ingredients are finely chopped. Even when I try to do it at home, I just can't get it so perfectly!

After the salad came one of the best things we ate all week! Be hold the Wagyu burger ...

And the chicken sandwich

And a blurry pic of my half of each ...

I absolutely loved the burger. I am a sucker for an egg on a burger any way but then throw on some pastrami and I am hooked! The chicken sandwich was just ok for me but DH loved it.

Definitely looking forward to having these again in the future! $11.30 saved with TIW!
Oh my this looks amazing!!!! My DH is a wagyu beef fan too, might have to add HS back to the itinerary. BTW I'm very much enjoying ur DR!! Good for you too to enjoy an anniversary trip, worth it to wait for F&W!

Oh my this looks amazing!!!! My DH is a wagyu beef fan too, might have to add HS back to the itinerary. BTW I'm very much enjoying ur DR!! Good for you too to enjoy an anniversary trip, worth it to wait for F&W!

The HBD burger was definitely a highlight of the trip! Thank you so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter