Mom & Dad - But Where's the Son? Empty Nest F&W Trip! - Update 1/12 - Frontera & Jocks!

Finally catching up again. Your Ramen looks amazing. I love all things Ramen. We never seem to order anything but appetizers and sushi at California Grill.

You did so many things we did, only a week later. Seems like we have a lot of the same tastes.

Give the Food & Wine Classic another chance. We have gone the last few years. It is much more fun with a group. We plan to go on the Friday 2017. Last year we did Saturday.

The Food & Wine Classic looks like so much fun! Maybe it would have been better without the wind? I would think there'd be a lot of couples, but did it just seem like it was intended to be more of a group type event?

Glad you had such a great meal at CA Grill! It's always nice to have a favorite redeem itself :)

We arrived last on Thursday, October 20th. We got to the MK bright and early on Friday the 21st to upgrade our tickets to APs and purchase TIW. I knew about the new AP dining discounts but we are planning at least 3 trips next year and will be eating at several restaurants that only have the 10% discount plus there is the alcohol to consider! So TIW it is for us!

I felt it fitting that our first meal be in the Castle so I booked a later breakfast at CRT. We had a perfect window seat!

First up the pastries ...

Including the very cute Mickey muffins ...

These were fine and very sadly the highlight of our meal. DH had the shrimp and grits

Very odd grits cake and not the creamy grits that are more traditional. He said the shrimp were fine but all in all it was a bit weird

I had the steak and eggs ...

What can I say about this? It was just not good. The steak was tough and chewy. The omelet egg thing was bland. The broccolini was actually quite good and for sure the highlight of my plate.

All in all not a great start to our vacation. We left hoping this would be the worst dining experience of our trip. Unfortunately, it wasn't even the worst meal of the day!

As CRT is prepaid, we received a $20.25 credit with the TIW card. Meal was somewhat rushed. Our server was efficient but not super friendly. The interaction with the princesses was actually quite good. And you really cannot beat the atmosphere. So no real regrets for this meal but after several meals at CRT, this will be our last.

I love reading your dining reports, but I'm more of a lurker.

I have to say we went to CRT for breakfast in June 2015 (I think they had *just* changed to this menu and when the reports of whether or not you could get seconds were around). The highlight was that it was DH, I, and our 3 kids (9, 2, and 2) and we had TiW, so we only paid 2 adults and 1 child with a discount (still an expensive breakfast). My biggest things were that our waiter seemed to be put out (this was the first rotation of the day, so it's not like he had been working 8 hours and was tired), we couldn't hear the wishing ceremony, and we were hungry afterwards. The castle is pretty, the princesses are great, but I think I would just to Akershus from now on.
I know it isn't guaranteed, but I had heard that they *might* give food to our 2 year olds (or heck, even say I could pay for another plate)...nope, and the waiter seemed shocked that I asked for an extra muffin so my 2 year olds would have something to eat without arguing over the Mickey shaped one (our pastry plate for 5 people-3 paying, was the same as yours for 2). DH got the adult traditional and DS got the kid traditional. I got the shrimp and grits. The shrimp and grits were real shrimp and grits and tasted good-looked much better than what yoru DH got, but about 4 shrimp and not even 1 cup of grits.

Wow, that is some serious tofu praise. I remember someone else commenting how good this was too. Will have to try it sometime as I am a sucker for all things truffle!

Me, too! Hoping this stays on the menu for the next time we get to Cali!

Great reviews! I can't wait for the food and wine festival!

Me, too ... cannot wait to go back this year!

The Food & Wine Classic looks like so much fun! Maybe it would have been better without the wind? I would think there'd be a lot of couples, but did it just seem like it was intended to be more of a group type event?

Glad you had such a great meal at CA Grill! It's always nice to have a favorite redeem itself :)

Definitely think it would have been more fun for us if we were with other people!

I love reading your dining reports, but I'm more of a lurker.

I have to say we went to CRT for breakfast in June 2015 (I think they had *just* changed to this menu and when the reports of whether or not you could get seconds were around). The highlight was that it was DH, I, and our 3 kids (9, 2, and 2) and we had TiW, so we only paid 2 adults and 1 child with a discount (still an expensive breakfast). My biggest things were that our waiter seemed to be put out (this was the first rotation of the day, so it's not like he had been working 8 hours and was tired), we couldn't hear the wishing ceremony, and we were hungry afterwards. The castle is pretty, the princesses are great, but I think I would just to Akershus from now on.
I know it isn't guaranteed, but I had heard that they *might* give food to our 2 year olds (or heck, even say I could pay for another plate)...nope, and the waiter seemed shocked that I asked for an extra muffin so my 2 year olds would have something to eat without arguing over the Mickey shaped one (our pastry plate for 5 people-3 paying, was the same as yours for 2). DH got the adult traditional and DS got the kid traditional. I got the shrimp and grits. The shrimp and grits were real shrimp and grits and tasted good-looked much better than what yoru DH got, but about 4 shrimp and not even 1 cup of grits.

What a very un-magical experience! Everything I got to CRT I saw it will be the last time. Then a year to two goes by and back I go! Haven't tried Akershus yet. One of these days!

Saturday we met my sister, nephew and a friend of hers with her son in Disney Springs to try a new restaurant

We all love Mexican food so we were really looking forward to this meal! First the menu ...

Drinks!

First up for me was an iced tea

And of course a sangria!

Toast!

First up some Queso Fundido - queso Chihuahua melted with roasted poblanos, and caramelized onions- warm corn tortillas

and Bacon Guacamole - Nueske bacon, tomatillos, toasted pepitas, cilantro, and onions (contains seeds) served with chips

So really what is better than guac .... guac with bacon! This was very, very good! The queso was good as well but DH and I agreed we like La Hacienda's better. No real reason, just a preference for us

We also tried the Grilled Calabacitas - grilled Mexican squash with Mojo

This didn't have a lot of flavor. We were not impressed

For entrees, DH and I decided to share the Carne Asada - garlic and red chile-marinated Creekstone Natural Black Angus steak, black beans refritos with queso frsico, caramelized plantains with crema and queso fresco, tomatillo salsa, served with warm corn tortillas (contains dairy, pork

I was very disappointed in these. The meat was tough and didn't have much flavor. The salsas were good. If we come back, I would definitely try something different

My sister is vegetarian. There was no separate veggie menu but several of the items on the main menu were vegetarian. DSis had
Zucchini and Poblano Rajas Tostadas - Crispy tostadas, garlicky grilled squash with poblano peppers, grilled mojo, fresh goat cheese, creamy black beans, pea shoots and frisee

These were delicious! Really good ... very flavorful and fresh tasting. This definitely raised the meal for us

My sisters friends son had the children's chicken tacos

I am told he is a fussy eater and he loved these.

My nephew had a second order of the queso fundido and her friend had the carnitas. She enjoyed them more than DH and I did.

The dessert menu ...

Nothing really appealed to any of us. We took the boys over to Sprinkles but I didn't take pics of their cupcakes.

This was a hit and miss meal for us. We really enjoyed the guacamole and the vegetarian tostados. The queso fundido was solid. The carnitas were meh. DS and his DGF love Mexican food. I think we will wait until the next trip that they join us so and then we will go give it another try.

My sis and friend took the boys back to the hotel to swim. As DH and I were moving to Bay Lake Tower, we were temporarily 'homeless'. Hmmm.... what to do?

Have a beverage of course!

The only other time I was here I had the Reggie's Revenge and loved it so that was my choice

Next time I may try this

DH decided to stick with sangria

Here we are!

And our drinks

This was a nice break in the day while we waited for our room. I got the room ready text while there so we headed over for our first DVC stay

The room was very small

But the view was A-Ok!

Thanks for the frontera review. We were considering going there on our trip next month, but looks like we'll pass. That is if I can convince the hubby who is a huge Rick Bayliss fan.

Your room may be small, but it looks really nice. And that view, wow!

Awesome reviews as always!! BLT would be such a treat! I've gotta hit up JH for one of those cocktails. I'm sooooooo excited!!!!!!! I see you leave in a week? Are you doing more reviews? Our trip is finally coming up for Flower & Garden! (First time for the food booths @ F&G) So any reviews you have will be appreciated!! :mickeyjum

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter