Mass Shooting at Orlando Club

Allllllrighty then...

I am talking about the conservative side of the media conjuring up imaginary perverts to scare parents of daughters. How long will the Fox News people and their compatriots stick to this being simply being a horrible tragedy before they bring the victims' orientation into this?

I am positive I am saying this in a manner that offends someone because you can't convey everything you mean through text. I don't intend to offend.

I am trying to say that I hope that the victims do not get discounted because of their orientation or gender identity.

You are absolutely correct, but even those in the LGBT community are saying don't make this into a political issue. They are saying, let's stand together and show them we are a better community than violence against anyone.

They're absolutely correct, we should all be standing together and condemning any attack. Trying to say that it is even more of an egregious mass murder because it was targeting a specific group of Americans, is extremely shallow thinking. Is there less hate perpetrated if they had targeted dependents of military personnel?

The message should be simple: An attack on any of us is an attack on all of us.

I am talking about the conservative side of the media conjuring up imaginary perverts to scare parents of daughters. How long will the Fox News people and their compatriots stick to this being simply being a horrible tragedy before they bring the victims' orientation into this?

I am positive I am saying this in a manner that offends someone because you can't convey everything you mean through text. I don't intend to offend.

I am trying to say that I hope that the victims do not get discounted because of their orientation or gender identity.

Every single news agency I have switched to have really not touched the fact that this was a gay club besides to explain that Pluse is a gay club in Orlando. Our news (being local) has been covering this since 2 am, and not one word. I hope and pray we don't diminish the victims into some title of being gay, instead of being ACTUAL PEOPLE. There is absolutely no need to bring up bathrooms, etc.

A couple of random thoughts from a retired homicide investigator, SWAT team leader, and EMT:
  • It is WAY too early to make any judgements about the cause, motive, actual sequence of events, response, outcome, or where we go from here regarding this tragic mass murder. Facts are super-sketchy at this moment, and we're all processing them through our own narrow perspectives -- including, quite obviously from the political nature of some of the comments, our personal political leanings. It will be several days before we have any halfway clear picture of what really happened here. Some information will not come out for weeks, some may never be released, and some facts will never be revealed. Trying to make judgements at this point, no matter how well-intentioned, is an exercise in futility.
  • The death toll from this horrific crime surprises nobody with law enforcement experience. In fact, I'm surprised the number wasn't higher -- and it may go much higher, depending on the nature and severity of the injuries to the 53 injured people. The weapons used, although probably meeting legal restrictions, are very capable of doing enormous damage in a hurry. A semi-auto AR-15 or semi-automatic pistol shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger. An AR-15 fires a very small bullet (basically a glorified .22 caliber round), but at tremendous velocity. The formula for energy is mass (weight) times velocity SQUARED, so the velocity of the bullet is what makes it so destructive. As someone else posted, the effect is like an explosion because there is not only the energy of the projectile itself, but also the shock wave of energy traveling through the body. The shock waves of a .223 round passing through the body can explode organs without the bullet actually touching them. Considering that there were probably several hundred people in the club at the time of the attack, randomly spraying rounds into the crowd without pointing, much less aiming, would have devastating effect. So the carnage -- as horrible as it is -- is not surprising to me.
  • Several quick-thinking people obviously saved many lives. The officer who confronted the subject outside, resulting in an exchange of gunfire, probably saved a lot of lives both inside and outside the club. It's reported that staff members of the club knocked down a partition allowing patrons to escape out the back of the club. The SWAT team apparently knocked down a door or part of a wall, allowing 30 or so people to escape. One patron ripped off his shirt and applied a makeshift tourniquet to stop bleeding of a victim's arm described as "blown apart" -- no doubt saving that person's life.
  • This could have been much worse. If this had been a suicide bombing, or a multiple suicide bomber attack, or a chemical/biological attack, there could have been hundreds of fatalities.
  • Focus on the victims. This is not about me, it's not about you, and it's not about any of our political beliefs. This is about 50 people who died for nothing more than going to a club with their friends on a Saturday night -- and ran into a young man determined to murder them.

The most intelligent post yet. Thank you.

They're absolutely correct, we should all be standing together and condemning any attack. Trying to say that it is even more of an egregious mass murder because it was targeting a specific group of Americans, is extremely shallow thinking. Is there less hate perpetrated if they had targeted dependents of military personnel?

We finally agree on something.

Just when I thought this tragedy couldn't be milked for more of a political agenda, I'm proven wrong.

Very sad, and a complete disregard for the victims of this terrible violence.

Guys, this is shocking and heartbreaking. I really want to let everyone converse, just remember to keep it respectful toward one another, and avoid political or religious diatribes.

Just unbelievable...

CNN reporting that the gunman called 911 to claim allegiance to ISIS

You are absolutely correct, but even those in the LGBT community are saying don't make this into a political issue. They are saying, let's stand together and show them we are a better community than violence against anyone.

There are also those in the LGBT community who don't want people to overlook the fact this was a hate crime because it was. it's not a political agenda to point out a straight out fact. One can still stand together and show that their community is strong even with a terrible crime committed against them.

There are also those in the LGBT community who don't want people to overlook the fact this was a hate crime because it was. it's not a political agenda to point out a straight out fact. One can still stand together and show that their community is strong even with a terrible crime committed against them.
Exactly what I was trying to say. You worded it better.

LA News reporting suspect with arsenal arrested at LA Gay Pride festival :sad2:

THIS THIS THIS (snip of quote mine):
They're absolutely correct, we should all be standing together and condemning any attack.

There are so many critically wounded and they are saying many do not have identification outside of possible cell phones. So how else do you identify without breaking HIPPA guidelines? There are times those guidelines don't make any sense, identify and notifying victims families would be one of them in my opinion

Do people not have to show ID to get into nightclubs and aren't there metal detectors? All nightclubs here you have to show your driver's license or other picture ID and go thru detectors. How can people out enough to be in a club not have ID on them? i guess with females they may be separated from their purses

I consider myself a conservative and stand strong with lbgt community. No one wants to see this happen to anybody. Buts it's time to get these crazies out of our country. They don't want to adapt to our values. They want sharia law and will kill innocent people to make their point. Muslims leaders need to do their part also, too many times this happens they remain silent. They need to speak up and start denouncing these acts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter