Magic Kingdom After Hours coming back (DAH); Reviews: Page 18 >>

OTOH, if it closes at 11 PM, then you would get 7 hours of MK Park time (7 PM - 2 AM) for your $119, as opposed to four hours (7 PM - 11 PM), with three of those 7 hours guaranteed to not only be limited in attendance, but also including free snacks. IMHO, the later that MK closes, the better the value.

I love that they brought this back! It's still not something we can take advantage of, but if we had only one day in Orlando on our way to the Keys, this is absolutely something we plan to do.

I might be misunderstanding you, but I don't know what having a PH has to do with it. You need to buy an extra ticket for EMM. This is a paid event, not EMH.

My mistake, brain cramp. It would be the same whether you had a ticket to MK or PH, there is no difference between the two for this context. I am not sure what I was thinking when I said that. I just meant if you were already in MK, then you could stay until closing regardless of when that may be, so being able to get in at 7:00 and stay later is not really an advantage (since you would already be in anyway). Sorry for the confusion!

I love this. I hope they keep it around. I have been to MK before and my husband has never been. This is something I would do in heartbeat. Just to get more time and be able to take more pictures and not deal with crowds.

Have a question related to this. Do you think this is available during Peak Spring Break in April? I would be interested in seeing this especially at the $119 price. That is what I would take a look for this type of event.

We have decided to do this because our first night is 2/16 and we always go to MK, I got the AP price of 89.00 we will give it a try and hope it isn't to crowded for the price!

I don't think it's quite that black and white.

I think there are people who like the idea, but think it's priced too high.
  • Cost for this is $119, for a total of 4 hours in the park. (The regular operating hours on all of the days listed in the OP is 9am-8pm, so the event ends at 11pm according to the OP). That's more than a one day ticket costs on any of those days (each day is $105 according to TP), and those with a one day ticket are getting 11 hours in the park.
  • Yes, there are other benefits, and I'm not discounting them, but the value of them will be different person-to-person.

I think there are people who don't mind the idea (don't love it, don't hate it), but don't like that its implementation is taking away park time from other guests.
  • Park hours in 2016 compared to 2017 (comparing the same Thursday to the same Thursday,and based on park hours as Disney site has them listed for 2017 at the time of this post):
    • January 21 2016, 9am - 8pm January 20th 2017, 9am-8pm (These are the same)
    • January 28, 2016, 9am-8pm January 27th 2017, 9am-8pm (These are the same)
    • February 4 2016, 9am - 9pm February 2nd 2017, 9am-8pm (Net loss of 1 park hour for general public)
    • February 11 2016, 9am - 11pm February 9th 2017, 9am-8pm (Net loss of 3 hours for general public)
    • February 18 2016, 9am-10pm February 16 2017, 9am-8pm (Net loss of 2 hours for general public)
    • March 4 2016, 9am-9pm March 2nd 2017, 9am-8pm (Net loss of 1 hour for general public)
    • March 11th 2016, 9am-11pm March 9th 2017, 9am-8pm (Net loss of 3 hours for the general public)
  • Total loss of hours available to the general public over those days this year is 10 hours....almost a full day of park operations at that time of year.
  • Again, I'm not saying I believe this is a *huge* deal myself, but I can see how people who might return every year around the same time might be less than thrilled at now having to pay for hours that they used to have available to them as part of the regular operating day.
I do think there are people who don't like all the upsells that Disney is doing, just flat out. I don't think it's "hating on" Disney to dislike the upsells, though.

I also think there are those who can see and acknowledge that upsells like this may be good business sense for Disney, but just don't personally like the idea.

Basically I'm just getting at the point that I don't think it's right to just boil this down to a black and white issue like it seems the post quoted is trying to do. I think most people have a bit more thought go into their reactions than just those 2 possibilities.
Well no, I wasn't trying to make it that black and white. Or present it that my 2 choices where the only options.

But I did say that you have 1 segment that will hate on all add on choices, not Disney in general (though there are those too, just not what I mentioned here). That segment isn't going to like it, ever. No matter how good the add on is

I will add it's very thin ice to assume park hours for a given year based on park hours from a past year. You can't really say that you loose something just because they did it in the past. That would be assuming they planned to extend hours. No one knows that.

Have a question related to this. Do you think this is available during Peak Spring Break in April? I would be interested in seeing this especially at the $119 price. That is what I would take a look for this type of event.
If it sells it will be extended.

But I did say that you have 1 segment that will hate on all add on choices, not Disney in general (though there are those too, just not what I mentioned here). That segment isn't going to like it, ever. No matter how good the add on is
I did acknowledge that in my post.

I will add it's very thin ice to assume park hours for a given year based on park hours from a past year. You can't really say that you loose something just because they did it in the past. That would be assuming they planned to extend hours. No one knows that.
I'm not assuming anything. There are less hours this year than there were last year, as of today when I posted that. You're right that there's no way to know whether the shortened hours are due specifically to this additional offering, or whether they would have been shortened hours regardless of the extra event...but either way, those days have less operating hours in 2017 than they did in 2016 (again, as of this post). All I was saying is that there may be some people out there who don't appreciate the shortened hours (regardless of the reason for the shortened hours).

@AngiTN and @mom2rtk woukd you ladies mind giving a recap of which rides you were able to squeeze in during the event (and really just during the extra 3 hours)? As empty as it sounds like it was, sounds like your experience would be close to best-case scenario. It sounds like a pretty good deal if it were announced far enough out to make plans for it (and if we hadn't just gotten back, those later dates would be almost do-able). Thanks!!
@cgattis ~ of the two you've listed, only @AngiTN has attended the After Hours event.

I believe @HopperFan and @Accident are the other DISers who have attended "After Hours."

@cgattis ~ of the two you've listed, only @AngiTN has attended the After Hours event.

I believe @HopperFan and @Accident are the other DISers who have attended "After Hours."

I posted in the spring what we got done, I'll have to go look. Haven't found it yet BUT ...

... we knew the 3 hours would go fast so we went in with a simple plan. "Rides" only so no shows, no characters, no shopping. We went on just about everything and some things we repeated. Space Mountain was 3 or 4 times, both sides. Walking in between we tried all the different ice creams, and now I know Mickey Bar still my favorite but the fruit one was good. We had a few cokes to keep us going and pocketed a few waters in our backpack. We had a blast!

Last edited:
@AngiTN and @mom2rtk woukd you ladies mind giving a recap of which rides you were able to squeeze in during the event (and really just during the extra 3 hours)? As empty as it sounds like it was, sounds like your experience would be close to best-case scenario. It sounds like a pretty good deal if it were announced far enough out to make plans for it (and if we hadn't just gotten back, those later dates would be almost do-able). Thanks!!
I wish I could tell what rides we did exactly but it's been too long. I know it was any ride we wanted to. I'm sure we skipped Splash, as DH isn't a fan even on a hot and sunny day.

My mistake, brain cramp. It would be the same whether you had a ticket to MK or PH, there is no difference between the two for this context. I am not sure what I was thinking when I said that. I just meant if you were already in MK, then you could stay until closing regardless of when that may be, so being able to get in at 7:00 and stay later is not really an advantage (since you would already be in anyway). Sorry for the confusion!
Except you can't stay until EMM closing if you only have a MK ticket that day. If the park closes at 8 (or 7 or 9) the day of this event, if you don't have a ticket for EMM you need to leave, just like the nights there is a Halloween or Christmas party. It's not like EMH where you can stay if you're not a resort guest, and just not ride - if you don't have an EMM ticket, you will need to leave the park.

Edit: I see now, I've probably added to the confusion here. I mean DAK, not EMM, and maybe that's where our mutual misunderstanding is. I do mean DAK both in the above and my previous response to you, @GlennN Sorry!

Last edited:
The dates for very early in the year may not sell too well if the weather tends to be on the colder side. I wonder if they considered that.

We will be there on Feb. 2nd and this is tempting. My only concern is the weather. It wouldn't be much fun if it is really cold that night.

Except you can't stay until EMM closing if you only have a MK ticket that day. If the park closes at 8 (or 7 or 9) the day of this event, if you don't have a ticket for EMM you need to leave, just like the nights there is a Halloween or Christmas party. It's not like EMH where you can stay if you're not a resort guest, and just not ride - if you don't have an EMM ticket, you will need to leave the park.
I think what may be confusing to some is that EMM is for the Early Morning Magic event which is a paid event held an hour before park opening (MK and DHS).

After Hours at MK has always been known as DAH.

I think what may be confusing to some is that EMM is for the Early Morning Magic event which is a paid event held an hour before park opening (MK and DHS).

After Hours at MK has always been known as DAH.
Oooh you're right! I'm not helping here!

We are going the first week of February and I am hoping the temps during the day won't be to cold, but I believe after 6 or 7 pm, they sure could be.

I attended the event last year and was one who was not that impressed. I did it because tickets were offered half off, so we paid about $75 each for two of us. No way I would have paid full price, or even this new $129 price. Here's the thing, I simply do not like the monetizing of EMH. If you look EMH offerings over the last 6 years you will see they have been cut, along with park hours. That is directly effecting my dollars spent as I'm getting less for more. If I had wads of cash I might not care so much.

As for the event itself it was OK. Over the years we have rode everything multiple times, so riding attractions is not the big draw for us. There were just two of us and we really hustled between rides and were unable to ride everything (did not do meet and greets except for Frozen). It was nice to meet cast members that were not stressed out and you could tell they loved the low crowd, so I'm glad my money made them happy.

I went on a night where they might have sold more tickets than other nights and I can tell you the place was not empty (there was a line for back seat at BTMRR, had to wait two trains at Mine Train) and worst of all they ran out of frozen bananas. There were way more people than just 200 (that wouldn't even come close to covering operational costs) and if they can get attendance up it will be a money making deal for them. Trust me, there is an end game to this. Disney is not doing this to lose money.

Wish they would start the 2nd week of January. That would be 6 tickets right off the bat.

Well, I gave it a shot and called Disney to see if I could purchase the tickets at the passholder rate even though I'm not currently a passholder - I did it! The agent just said I must have my annual pass when I check in for the event. I'm so happy I could do this!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter