Magic Kingdom After Hours coming back (DAH); Reviews: Page 18 >>

Oh, I don't think they are going to sell as many as they do for the parties. Nowhere near that. I'm just saying that my experience with the parties makes me skeptical any time they say something is "limited".

I have to agree with you that I am worried as I do feel the parties are quite crowded. I look forward to the reports on this and I hope that the reviews are as good as they were when it was first introduced. If so, I am hoping to do this event when my family visits in May. We are AP holders but an empty (or feels empty) park with walk on rides is just too tempting to pass up... even with the high price.

FROM DISNEY:

The event takes place 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM:

• Thursday, February 2, 2017
  • Thursday, February 9, 2017
  • Thursday, February 16, 2017
And 9:00 PM to 12:00 AM:

• Friday, January 20, 2017
  • Friday, January 27, 2017
  • Thursday, March 2, 2017
  • Thursday, March 9, 2017

Now that I am seeing the posted hours ....
... and there are folks who were anticipating/hoping hour changing to longer ....
... this is a way to offer longer hours ....

I would be much more interested in this event if they would add some of the characters similar to the Christmas and Halloween parties. Even just the princes with their princesses and maybe something fun like the 7 Dwarves. I'm wanting my kids to meet them, especially the princes for DD, that we are considering pushing our February trip back to next December just so we can attend MVMCP. I would do it in a heartbeat if they would!

Something else I would be tempted to do if they are going to start offering add-ons year round is stay offsite and save a bunch of money. And then splurge on one of these events! 30 day FP window for 7DMT wouldn't be such a big deal if I could ride it over and over again for less than the cost of staying on site all week!

FROM DISNEY:

The event takes place 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM:

• Thursday, February 2, 2017
  • Thursday, February 9, 2017
  • Thursday, February 16, 2017
And 9:00 PM to 12:00 AM:

• Friday, January 20, 2017
  • Friday, January 27, 2017
  • Thursday, March 2, 2017
  • Thursday, March 9, 2017
Interesting. I see this information on the Disney site, indicating that the event begins at 9 PM on certain dates, but the Park Hours Calendars are showing MK with an 8 PM close on all of the 2017 After Hours Dates. I suspect the calendar will be updated soon, otherwise After Hours guests will be in "limbo" between 8 and 9 PM on those dates.

I'm very interested in the January 27 event. However the posted closing time is currently 8:00pm for a Friday night. I'm anticipating this time to change to 10 or 11. It would be easier to commit if you knew the actual closing time well in advance. Having the park to yourself from 8-11 sounds great. Having it from 11-2, not as much.
I think this means your hopes of longer regular park hours are gone.

Interesting. I see this information on the Disney site, indicating that the event begins at 9 PM on certain dates, but the Park Hours Calendars are showing MK with an 8 PM close on all of the 2017 After Hours Dates. I suspect the calendar will be updated soon, otherwise After Hours guests will be in "limbo" between 8 and 9 PM on those dates.

Maybe. But even so it's just an hour, not the couple+ hours I think folks might have been expecting.

Aww man. I actually really wanna do this but our last day is January 17th. As much as I would love to extend our trip I don't think it's feasible.

I'm very interested in the January 27 event. However the posted closing time is currently 8:00pm for a Friday night. I'm anticipating this time to change to 10 or 11. It would be easier to commit if you knew the actual closing time well in advance. Having the park to yourself from 8-11 sounds great. Having it from 11-2, not as much.

I don't expect the times to go up at all. This fall it was a lot of "why is everything closed to early" nights. It only recently went past 9pm for the december crowds and sept - now was not that empty.

You will have to leave. I can't remember now what they did to clear out the other guests. This is much harder to wander around in without a ticket. They give you a very large lanyard that you have to wear, it's pretty easy to see who has one and who doesn't.

They actually didn't require anyone to leave the first time they did this. Almost all food was closed, you needed to have a after hours lanyard to get in line and it didn't take long before everyone just naturally left but they were more than welcomed to walk around (and some did) to an empty MK. I saw many also taking their time shopping on main street on their way out. 1 night I went MSEP even ran an hour late and many waited for it.

It was a great way to do this. There is no extra parade or another fireworks show so it's really walk around with nothing else to do and enjoy the empty park (great for people who want to do photos) or have a ticket to get on rides.

Oh, I don't think they are going to sell as many as they do for the parties. Nowhere near that. I'm just saying that my experience with the parties makes me skeptical any time they say something is "limited".

I have to agree with you that I am worried as I do feel the parties are quite crowded. I look forward to the reports on this and I hope that the reviews are as good as they were when it was first introduced. If so, I am hoping to do this event when my family visits in May. We are AP holders but an empty (or feels empty) park with walk on rides is just too tempting to pass up... even with the high price.

I felt this way the first time they did it. I wasn't planning to go and then the reports from the first night came out and it was my dream event of no crowd and ended up attending twice... I also compared the wording to a party and it matched, I wasn't going to pay party prices for no party. In the end, I loved the event but I think we're going to run into the same people coming on those dates already have their trips planned out and locked down so again not so many people to discover it.

OTOH, if it closes at 11 PM, then you would get 7 hours of MK Park time (7 PM - 2 AM) for your $119, as opposed to four hours (7 PM - 11 PM), with three of those 7 hours guaranteed to not only be limited in attendance, but also including free snacks. IMHO, the later that MK closes, the better the value.

Not for those of us with Park Hopper. Then we get three hours, regardless of when the park closes. And, if, as the poster above said, one does not want to stay that late, it becomes less of a deal to them. I get what you are saying, and if you did not buy a ticket for MK that day (or have PH) I completely agree with you. As with most things, there are two reasonable sides. (Of course, since they did say it is 8:00 to 11:00 on the site, I guess this is a moot point anyway).

@AngiTN and @mom2rtk woukd you ladies mind giving a recap of which rides you were able to squeeze in during the event (and really just during the extra 3 hours)? As empty as it sounds like it was, sounds like your experience would be close to best-case scenario. It sounds like a pretty good deal if it were announced far enough out to make plans for it (and if we hadn't just gotten back, those later dates would be almost do-able). Thanks!!

I love that they brought this back! It's still not something we can take advantage of, but if we had only one day in Orlando on our way to the Keys, this is absolutely something we plan to do.

Not for those of us with Park Hopper. Then we get three hours, regardless of when the park closes. And, if, as the poster above said, one does not want to stay that late, it becomes less of a deal to them. I get what you are saying, and if you did not buy a ticket for MK that day (or have PH) I completely agree with you. As with most things, there are two reasonable sides. (Of course, since they did say it is 8:00 to 11:00 on the site, I guess this is a moot point anyway).
I might be misunderstanding you, but I don't know what having a PH has to do with it. You need to buy an extra ticket for EMM. This is a paid event, not EMH.

You have 2 sets of folks that do this.
1 set will hate on anything Disney does that is an add on. Has nothing to do with how popular or not popular something is.
The other set will reconsider when presented with the facts and realize maybe they were hasty in their panning of an idea.

I don't think it's quite that black and white.

I think there are people who like the idea, but think it's priced too high.
  • Cost for this is $119, for a total of 4 hours in the park. (The regular operating hours on all of the days listed in the OP is 9am-8pm, so the event ends at 11pm according to the OP). That's more than a one day ticket costs on any of those days (each day is $105 according to TP), and those with a one day ticket are getting 11 hours in the park.
  • Yes, there are other benefits, and I'm not discounting them, but the value of them will be different person-to-person.

I think there are people who don't mind the idea (don't love it, don't hate it), but don't like that its implementation is taking away park time from other guests.
  • Park hours in 2016 compared to 2017 (comparing the same Thursday to the same Thursday,and based on park hours as Disney site has them listed for 2017 at the time of this post):
    • January 21 2016, 9am - 8pm January 20th 2017, 9am-8pm (These are the same)
    • January 28, 2016, 9am-8pm January 27th 2017, 9am-8pm (These are the same)
    • February 4 2016, 9am - 9pm February 2nd 2017, 9am-8pm (Net loss of 1 park hour for general public)
    • February 11 2016, 9am - 11pm February 9th 2017, 9am-8pm (Net loss of 3 hours for general public)
    • February 18 2016, 9am-10pm February 16 2017, 9am-8pm (Net loss of 2 hours for general public)
    • March 4 2016, 9am-9pm March 2nd 2017, 9am-8pm (Net loss of 1 hour for general public)
    • March 11th 2016, 9am-11pm March 9th 2017, 9am-8pm (Net loss of 3 hours for the general public)
  • Total loss of hours available to the general public over those days this year is 10 hours....almost a full day of park operations at that time of year.
  • Again, I'm not saying I believe this is a *huge* deal myself, but I can see how people who might return every year around the same time might be less than thrilled at now having to pay for hours that they used to have available to them as part of the regular operating day.
I do think there are people who don't like all the upsells that Disney is doing, just flat out. I don't think it's "hating on" Disney to dislike the upsells, though.

I also think there are those who can see and acknowledge that upsells like this may be good business sense for Disney, but just don't personally like the idea.

Basically I'm just getting at the point that I don't think it's right to just boil this down to a black and white issue like it seems the post quoted is trying to do. I think most people have a bit more thought go into their reactions than just those 2 possibilities.

Anyone thoughts on how this might impact crowds that day? Had tentatively planned to be at MK on Mar 2 during our March trip. . .

Thanks.

It won't impact crowds that much at all, but it'll cut your park day short

I think it's good for those that want to shell out more money for a few hours of lower crowds. I would never partake because the price point is way too high. Right around the $50-$60 range is where I would contemplate it

I see that there's a discounted rate for passholders. We're going in February, and I will be upgrading our park hopper tickets to annual passes. Will I be able to purchase these tickets now at the passholder rate?

I see that there's a discounted rate for passholders. We're going in February, and I will be upgrading our park hopper tickets to annual passes. Will I be able to purchase these tickets now at the passholder rate?
Not if you aren't currently a passholder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter