Magic Band "NEW KIND" -Update: Post #70-

This will probably mean they will sell bands that you can pop that thing in. Hopefully a new "pop-in" band would be cheaper than just buying a brand new Magic Band now. I am sure a lot of people are hesitant to buy a special band simply because they already HAVE a band. The psychological mindset of buying a new band to pop in your existing "button" may mean more sales of customized bands.

I would hope it means more customized bands (and even 3rd party sellers). Then you can combine your magic band "button" with a real watch .. or a smartphone watch .. or a fitbit .. etc.

Plus the freedom to wear the "button" however you want .. lanyard, pocket. Shoe.

Great idea.

I think thats a really good point. Heck they could even incorporate that into the screen when you get to customize your magic band when you book your trip. They could offer a selection of "free" ones (a few color options) and then you can purchase upgrades and have them shipped when your get your box so you'll have them before you leave.

"Lanyard" and "in-your-pocket" fans take note...
(Although I can't tell how LARGE these units actually are.)

From WDW Magic HERE.

Disney's next generation of MagicBand has been revealed as part of the standard FCC testing process.

New MB-R1G2 MagicBand

Named Model MB-R1G2 (the original as MB-R1G1), the band differs significantly from the first in that it does not appear to have a strap.

It may be that Disney is planning to offer straps separately from the main body of the MagicBand, which can then be attached, much like the Apple Watch. This would allow guests to change the look of the band, without having to dispose of the electronics and re-register the new band in the My Disney Experience app. The design also allows for other attachment options, such as lanyards or belt clips, although it isn't clear if this is something that Disney will be pursuing.

Like the original, the new model of the MagicBand has been developed by Synapse, and includes a 2.4GHz radio, along with a passive HF RFID tag radio.

The original FCC filing was placed in May 2016, and has just been declassified by the FCC.
It's definitely going to be cool to see when Disney rolls out some official information for us! Thanks for starting this thread, Robo! We chose it to be featured on today's edition of the DIS Daily Fix!

Neat, but my big want for the MagicBand system is still an Apple Watch app so I can just use that instead of having to wear the band in addition to my watch

I would love it if they could somehow do something with my fitbit since I will already be wearing it in the parks. Maybe some day

Aside from the obvious pros discussed so far (easy/cheaper to customize, can be incorporated into other wearing methods, etc) I think there might be another reason they could be heading in this direction. I don't think this was the main goal but could have been a side goal of MagicBand 2.0 (yep I'm coining that phrase, you heard it here first). If they phase out the old and go forward with this style then I would imagine most/all shops would only sell accessories and not the actual "transponder" component. Thus solving another problem, or at least making it harder to do.

I would love it if they could somehow do something with my fitbit since I will already be wearing it in the parks. Maybe some day

I don't see Fitbit ever being involved because I don't think even the most expensive fitbits have RFID technology. With smart watches I believe most of them already have the technology it would be able coding them to work i.e. the hotel apps that let you use your apple watch as your hotel key but you can also get a standard rfid based key card as well.

I don't see Fitbit ever being involved because I don't think even the most expensive fitbits have RFID technology. With smart watches I believe most of them already have the technology it would be able coding them to work i.e. the hotel apps that let you use your apple watch as your hotel key but you can also get a standard rfid based key card as well.

I know but maybe someday there will be something like that on a fitbit, like a new version of the Blaze.

I kind of assumed they would be like the fitbit zips and straps.

IMG_6940_zpsk2xcxfc6.jpg
IMG_6941_zpswvdvxheq.jpg

I was planning to buy a magic band for an upcoming trip (we stay offsite). Waste of money now? I assume this will completely replace and therefore make current bands useless.

I was planning to buy a magic band for an upcoming trip (we stay offsite). Waste of money now? I assume this will completely replace and therefore make current bands useless.

Nope.

The "internal technology" (what makes the units work with the scanners) of these newer "fobs/blobs/amulets" is apparently fully compatible with the current MagicBands and WDW scanners.
They just have a different external shape.

Last edited:
I kind of assumed they would be like the fitbit zips and straps.

IMG_6940_zpsk2xcxfc6.jpg
IMG_6941_zpswvdvxheq.jpg

I think this'll be neat, however, not having any experience with the above, I can't help but wonder how secure this would be inside of a strap of any sort. I imagine myself riding a ride and having it fling out as I'm waving my arms in the air or something. If it's possible at all, it may just happen to me lol. Thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter