Magic Band "NEW KIND" -Update: Post #70-

Robo

1971 Castle in the Hub: Your lights are on!
"Lanyard" and "in-your-pocket" fans take note...
(Although I can't tell how LARGE these units actually are.)

From WDW Magic HERE.

Disney's next generation of MagicBand has been revealed as part of the standard FCC testing process.

New MB-R1G2 MagicBand

Named Model MB-R1G2 (the original as MB-R1G1), the band differs significantly from the first in that it does not appear to have a strap.

It may be that Disney is planning to offer straps separately from the main body of the MagicBand, which can then be attached, much like the Apple Watch. This would allow guests to change the look of the band, without having to dispose of the electronics and re-register the new band in the My Disney Experience app. The design also allows for other attachment options, such as lanyards or belt clips, although it isn't clear if this is something that Disney will be pursuing.

Like the original, the new model of the MagicBand has been developed by Synapse, and includes a 2.4GHz radio, along with a passive HF RFID tag radio.

The original FCC filing was placed in May 2016, and has just been declassified by the FCC.

I want it in a ring...

2f2918deab369bbe304b16cf84494b4d.jpg

Something tells me the (and I am just guessing) that the mickey head on these are the same size as the mickey heads on the current magic bands.

If you go by the last revision of normal magic bands, they started to appear about 7 weeks after that fcc filing. I suspect this one might have some more manufacturing with the different accessories they that can be put into. I think we'll see them by end of year.

I love this innovation. I would purchase the custom or fancier (D&B) MagicBand if I knew the strap would last a long time and I could simply replace this smaller battery driven inside piece for the longer-term. Or do they intend the battery piece to be the longer-lasting component? Hmmm...

Here's @ethanwa's photo from
his site: magicbandcollectors.com - size comparison:
View attachment 188407

Thanks for the picture. So am I correct in assuming from the photos that the new one looks like it would need a newly designed strap? It clearly won't fit into the existing ones, and you can't remove the center of the current ones anyway. I am just wondering if Disney is going to ship out the 'core' as usual, but have guests pay to purchase the straps as an extra .... In other words, you get a Magic Bean free, but you pay for a Magic Band.

Thanks for the picture. So am I correct in assuming from the photos that the new one looks like it would need a newly designed strap? It clearly won't fit into the existing ones, and you can't remove the center of the current ones anyway. I am just wondering if Disney is going to ship out the 'core' as usual, but have guests pay to purchase the straps as an extra .... In other words, you get a Magic Bean free, but you pay for a Magic Band.
Ethan has some more photos and explanation of possible new straps on his site that he posted on Monday.

This will probably mean they will sell bands that you can pop that thing in. Hopefully a new "pop-in" band would be cheaper than just buying a brand new Magic Band now. I am sure a lot of people are hesitant to buy a special band simply because they already HAVE a band. The psychological mindset of buying a new band to pop in your existing "button" may mean more sales of customized bands.

I would hope it means more customized bands (and even 3rd party sellers). Then you can combine your magic band "button" with a real watch .. or a smartphone watch .. or a fitbit .. etc.

Plus the freedom to wear the "button" however you want .. lanyard, pocket. Shoe.

Great idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter