Magic Band "NEW KIND" -Update: Post #70-

I missed this when it was first on the radar (too busy riding Space Mountain repeatedly!) but in theory I like the idea. I'd love a couple of personalised bands, but I can't justify the money on them when the battery is not replacable. I'd totally buy personalised bands where the magic part is replaceable! I have at least three I'd want (Orange Bird, BB8 and Donald!). Works better for their less frequent guests, definitely!

Couldn't the MDE app have a unique NFC ID for your MDE account and you could just use your phone's NFC to communicate with the entry posts? It's probably a nonstarter because apple wants NFC implementation to be for Apple Pay alone. Isn't it trivial to have your android act as a "virtual" magic band? I see the magic band as old technology, much the way people look at The Great Movie Ride as being past it's prime.

I agree with others, with these I'd be tented to buy a personalized band. I had my eyes on a Hunted Mansion MB last trip, but then I thought it would last for me only a couple of trips (coming from Europe, I visit every year and a half on average) before the battery would run out. If I can reuse them I'd be tempted to buy one and then... after a couple or trips get bored and buy a new one anyway :D

I agree with others, with these I'd be tented to buy a personalized band. I had my eyes on a Hunted Mansion MB last trip, but then I thought it would last for me only a couple of trips (coming from Europe, I visit every year and a half on average) before the battery would run out. If I can reuse them I'd be tempted to buy one and then... after a couple or trips get bored and buy a new one anyway :D

Resistance is futile

Since I finally 'bit' and bought myself and the Mr lovely Haunted Mansion MB from Disney shopping, I'm sure they will be come rapidly obsolete lol

Running gag here as to # of regular MBs in the house. Rarely have reused them, no idea if the batteries may have died in earlier ones.

Assume they have shelf life of a few years, have there been any reports to confirm how long they do tend to function?

Resistance is futile

Since I finally 'bit' and bought myself and the Mr lovely Haunted Mansion MB from Disney shopping, I'm sure they will be come rapidly obsolete lol

Running gag here as to # of regular MBs in the house. Rarely have reused them, no idea if the batteries may have died in earlier ones.

Assume they have shelf life of a few years, have there been any reports to confirm how long they do tend to function?
The oldest ones we have used were about 3 1/2 years old. We had less trouble with the batteries, and more trouble with the number of bands linked. A quick trip to the resort desk solved any issues we had.

The oldest ones we have used were about 3 1/2 years old. We had less trouble with the batteries, and more trouble with the number of bands linked. A quick trip to the resort desk solved any issues we had.

For everything we use to touch the Mickey head to a sensor, the battery is not needed. So FP+ and payments will last forever.
The battery allows the more intriguing features, like your name and city appearing on the screens at the end of it's a small world, on in the Expedition Everest queue and who knows for what in Avatar Land. For these, the long range signal granted by the battery is needed. That's why I'll always get a new MB for every visit, I don't want to risk the battery being dead and miss some of the newest interactive experiences.

For everything we use to touch the Mickey head to a sensor, the battery is not needed. So FP+ and payments will last forever.
The battery allows the more intriguing features, like your name and city appearing on the screens at the end of it's a small world, on in the Expedition Everest queue and who knows for what in Avatar Land. For these, the long range signal granted by the battery is needed. That's why I'll always get a new MB for every visit, I don't want to risk the battery being dead and miss some of the newest interactive experiences.

We always get a new one as well, but have still had good luck with the batteries on the older ones; Mine Train videos, Star Tours, etc. Curious as to how long the new ones are supposed to last, vs. the older bands.

I feel like that size without any attachment would be more easy to lose/ drop/ misplace...? It would be nice just to put that little thing in your pocket and go but then would you remember it when you change clothes, etc? Maybe that is because I lost both my Misfit Shine and Fitbit for months at a time. Later, I found them, in 'a safe place' where I had put them and then couldn't remember it. So imagining keeping up with all the kids' for a week's trip makes me nervous. The bulk of the current MB is what makes them easier to keep up with IMHO.

I'm not a fan of MBs, and although I've not seen this new kind of MB I don't believe I like it either. I just don't want to be tracked when I move around WDW. So for that reason, I just get a card key without the RFID antennae. It fits in my pocket, and is much faster to tap at the turnstyles. I'm happy. I really hope I will be able to continue using a card when we go back.

I'm not a fan of MBs, and although I've not seen this new kind of MB I don't believe I like it either. I just don't want to be tracked when I move around WDW. So for that reason, I just get a card key without the RFID antennae. It fits in my pocket, and is much faster to tap at the turnstyles. I'm happy. I really hope I will be able to continue using a card when we go back.

I'm pretty sure they are still tracking you with your card.

glad I got my bands for upcoming trip - not liking new look.

have you actually seen a real picture of the new style? where??? all anyone's posted here is the prototype tiny fob pic. no one's posted a full picture of what it will fully look like. if you've got a secret ugly pic of the whole new band, you've gotta share so we all can be horrified!

Magic Blobs just does not have to DIS ring to it.

Magic Pucks? Nah

Magic Discs? Sounds like a infommercial.

Magic zing zang doodle?

maybe it doubles as a bar of soap? Or a change purse.....

No matter what it is uninspired and ugly....I will keep my band.

It's probably a nonstarter because apple wants NFC implementation to be for Apple Pay alone.

Apple does use NFC for ApplePay, but that doesn't preclude other NFC uses. NFC is simply a technology, similar to bluetooth or wifi, to transmit information wirelessly.

I actually really like this new MB concept. I'm one of those people who doesn't like wearing my MB and instead loop it around my backpack strap. This would new a great alternative!

Yeah, I gotta say that I like the idea of a Magic Nugget, or whatever they'd be called. I hope this style ends up in production. Put it in a necklace, put it in a wristband, put it in a belt clip...the merchandise options are almost limitless, and I think that will drive it more than anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter