Magic Band "NEW KIND" -Update: Post #70-

This looks like a change for the better. I'm happy to see it, and will be even happier to use it!
My wife is delighted about the keychain\lanyard option.

They have also created a new revenue stream: Disney branded watch repair kits. You're going to need a tiny Phillips head screwdriver to remove the puck.

I've seen designs like this before for fit bit style wrist bands. As gross as this is going to sound, you just have to....well....squeeze it like a pimple and the center puck will pop out.

I am so excited about the keychain options. I doubt it will come out before my January trip, but maybe they will come out before my June trip. I hate wearing things in my wrist. I already have an idea for turning one into a retractable brooch.

They have also created a new revenue stream: Disney branded watch repair kits. You're going to need a tiny Phillips head screwdriver to remove the puck.

Anyone who fixes or upgrades their own computer would already have one of these sets.

I've seen designs like this before for fit bit style wrist bands. As gross as this is going to sound, you just have to....well....squeeze it like a pimple and the center puck will pop out.

I don't think so. It looks like the tiny screws actually go INTO the puck. So that kids don't do exactly what you're describing.

Way too big for me. That thing will take up my entire wrist. I'll stick with the old ones.

I hope we get the choice between them. The new style sounds interesting but I dont like how wide the old ones are so from appearances this is not an improvement to me

It says right in one (or both) of those links that they screw in so they can't be easily popped out.

FAQ
Why is Disney changing the design of MagicBands?
As technology continues to evolve, so does the MagicBand and this new design allows our Guests to continue to customize the MagicBand to fit their every day vacation needs. MagicBand 2 allows our team to continue to push the boundaries in technology wearables over the next few years, and evolve and expand even further.

Will the old MagicBand still work?
Yes, Guests may continue using the previous MagicBand.

Will the graphic MagicBands continue to be in this new MagicBand 2 design?
Yes, we will be introducing graphic MagicBand 2, including limited-edition and limited-release MagicBand 2s, over the next few months. Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for further announcements.

When do graphic MagicBand 2s go on sale?
Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for further MagicBand 2 announcements.

Will the graphic MagicBands continue to be in this new MagicBand 2 design?
Yes, we will be introducing graphic MagicBand 2, including limited-edition and limited-release MagicBand 2s, over the next few months. Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for further announcements.
This is the part that I am interested in. I 'assume' that they will not make any special sounds/lights at the touch points since you have a single RFID Puck...how would it know that this is the Frozen one v. Star Wars?

AP's will be able to get the new Magic Band 2's in December. Regular resort guests will begin receiving the new ones starting in January 2017.

I hope that happens. I have a reservation at the end of January and plan to upgrade to an AP during that trip. I know sometimes they release dates and then they push it back.

This is the part that I am interested in. I 'assume' that they will not make any special sounds/lights at the touch points since you have a single RFID Puck...how would it know that this is the Frozen one v. Star Wars?
But each graphic MB has its own Puck.
magicbandcollectors.com has photos of some of the new graphic MBs next to the original graphic MBs.

FAQ
Why is Disney changing the design of MagicBands?
As technology continues to evolve, so does the MagicBand and this new design allows our Guests to continue to customize the MagicBand to fit their every day vacation needs. MagicBand 2 allows our team to continue to push the boundaries in technology wearables over the next few years, and evolve and expand even further.

This is their way of saying, the new Magicband design allows us to make a ton of new accessories that our guests can shell out a fortune for.

I didn't like the idea of wearing a magicband at first, but it was so convenient that I ended up loving it. The only problem was that it was very big for my wrists, this new design won't work for me. If they no longer make the original, I'll just go back to a card. The lanyards and keychains are cute but I'm sure they aren't free.

I hate watches. I don't want something giant on my wrist like that. Plus they look like they would be giant on small children.

I hope you can keep getting the old ones.

AP's will be able to get the new Magic Band 2's in December. Regular resort guests will begin receiving the new ones starting in January 2017.

When I renewed my ap in Sept I got the purple band as it was finally available to passholders does this mean I'd have to wait for renewal in the fall to get my 2.0 or would I still be able to get it when it rolls out?

I would be really surprised if they keep both types.

These are the new bands. I am betting that the old ones will be phased out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter