Magic Band color complaint

OP here. Sorry to those who thought I was perpetuating gender stereotypes. Not my intent. :goodvibes My boys were the ones who were excited about us all having different color - and if you have teenage boys you may know how hard of a task that is. Thank you to those who posted about personalizing the bands. I hadn't realized that was possible. I now have some creative ideas that I can use.

OP here. Sorry to those who thought I was perpetuating gender stereotypes. Not my intent. :goodvibes My boys were the ones who were excited about us all having different color - and if you have teenage boys you may know how hard of a task that is. Thank you to those who posted about personalizing the bands. I hadn't realized that was possible. I now have some creative ideas that I can use.

Yes. They should have purple. It is my youngest daughters favourite. They have all the other colors of the rainbow (well.. except for poor forgotten Indigo). Oh well though, guess they substituted Grey as a color of the rainbow instead. The rainbow now goes Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Grey. In a few months they will probably add purple and some others as payable upgrades (maybe even the colors offered now).

I buy all my stuff in pink. Not b/c it's my favorite color but b/c nobody "borrows" Mom's pink stuff. LOL

Magic Bands are so new, maybe new colors will come out soon. I have seen Magic Band covers & charm things. Until they come out with purple, I'd get one of those.

Enjoy your trip!

I am super bummed that there is not purple and in fact posted about it myself about a month ago. *I* wanted purple!!

Really? My favourite colour has always been black, ever since I was little.

I think a lot of people would choose black. They should have more colors, why not.

I think they will have payable upgrades one day, too. They could have the same colors, but with glitter in them. So RedSparkle! would be an option, for only $5 more!

OT not Disney:

In addition, I always thought they should provide EZPass Transponders in colors, for an up charge…… (the little toll scanner things in your car to speed thru tolls). I know, stupid, but I might fall for it. I have to look at that thing every time I drive. :moped:

Isn't your post doing exactly that?

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.

Not at all. I also, wanted purple. I started reading the OP and have been following the thread since the beginning.

I don't understand why people make negative comments about what is an acceptable post. This IS a WDW travel forum so in the grand scheme of things it is ALL minutia. So who gets to judge?

If you aren't interested, just move along. Why bother being negative if you don't have to and I don't want anyone thinking what they have to say isn't "good enough" or acceptable.

Purple and pink are "girl" colors? Are all other colors boy colors?

They actually substituted orange, not grey. In the early promotional art for the bands, there was a purple band. They removed purple and replaced it with orange. I'm sure there was some sort of reason.

I like teal personally, why don't they have a teal band?

Bands-2-500x283.jpg

I think a lot of people would choose black. They should have more colors, why not.

I think they will have payable upgrades one day, too. They could have the same colors, but with glitter in them. So RedSparkle! would be an option, for only $5 more!

I am thinking of getting a grey one (I have 3 coming for 2014 so am trying to decide what to do with each one!) and making it sparkly black and silver, kinda like real jewelry. We customized all of ours for our December trip and they were very easy to do and very cute. We received tons of comments and several CMs actually took pictures of them.

Apparently purple is a thing now, because a friend of mine who is an AP holder said he went to Epcot last night and I guess it was an option when he went to Guest Services to get his MB

ETA: No, it's not, my friend is just a punk. LOL

FLchick415 said:
Apparently purple is a thing now...

ETA: No, it's not, my friend is just a punk. LOL

That is so funny anybody would even think to lie about that.

My three year old son loves everything pink right now. He wants a pink magic band for our May trip. So he will get a pink magic band. I don't think it will delete his Y chromosomes or magically change what's between his legs. (Now that really would be a magic band! :lmao:)

If you don't like the color, paint it with fingernail polish, which comes in all kinds of colors these days. A number of people have posted amazing things on http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3190181 and have had no problems with it. You can also draw on patterns with a Sharpie. Let your boys decorate their own with team colors, or camo patterns, or whatever they find "boy" enough.

As to "boy" and "girl" colors, 100 years ago it was boys who wore pink and girls who wore blue. Red was a military color, suitably softened to pink for babies. Blue was the color of innocence (c.f. all those paintings of the Virgin Mary wearing blue) and thus suited for girls. It's all a matter of social perception.

Personally I'm getting blue since I typically wear blue jeans, but I am considering adding some windows and a white "Police Box" banner. It looks to be the right shade of blue.

If you don't like the color, paint it with fingernail polish, which comes in all kinds of colors these days. A number of people have posted amazing things on http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3190181 and have had no problems with it. You can also draw on patterns with a Sharpie. Let your boys decorate their own with team colors, or camo patterns, or whatever they find "boy" enough.

As to "boy" and "girl" colors, 100 years ago it was boys who wore pink and girls who wore blue. Red was a military color, suitably softened to pink for babies. Blue was the color of innocence (c.f. all those paintings of the Virgin Mary wearing blue) and thus suited for girls. It's all a matter of social perception.

Personally I'm getting blue since I typically wear blue jeans, but I am considering adding some windows and a white "Police Box" banner. It looks to be the right shade of blue.

Yes! It's very close to the right colour (just a little light), and once you add the Tardis design in white nail polish, it'll be perfect.

And you'll run into SO many Whovians at Disney! :cool1:

I have several of Karen Hallion's Disney/Doctor Who tees, and wore a different one on every day of my last trip. I got a ton of compliments from other guests and cast members.

9YwpWBv.png

Oh... now I'm wondering if I could turn my red band into a Dalek...

If you have to have 2 or more of the same colour bands, buy a set of the Magic Bandits (3 to a set) and have a different bandit on each band.

Keep your receipt, should you lose a bandit, you go back to the point of purchase & they will replace it free of charge. My dd lost a Tinkerbelle bandit twice, she had no problem having it replaced at all - either time. ;)

I don't know what they would use specifically to make the color purple for the material the use in the MagicBands, but I do know that some coloring agents used for plastics contain metal oxides, etc. These could potentially interfere with them.

Similarly, I'd caution against nail polish, or at least too much of it. Although the experience so far has been positive, some polishes can have materials that might affect function. And it's hard enough getting them to work as it is...

Besides, Disney has a vested interest in limiting color choices - they want to upsell the coverbands. :)

pbrim said:

And now i am changing mine to blue and stealing this idea.

I had the same idea... ;)

When we were checking in to VGF in mid November, the cast member checking us in said that there had been a lot of people asking for purple and that it was going to be added. This was unsolicited (I.e. I wasn't complaining about colors or asking for more, they brought it up). There was no mention of this being a premium color that would cost extra.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter