Kid's meals on DDP

Okay, so how about this? Let's get rid of the child meals, as they are now. For the Dining Plan, let's charge $22 per day per child 3 - 9 years old. For cash customers, let's charge $5.49 for CS meals for children that currently cost $3.99 ($5.99 for $4.99, etc.) and let's charge $16 for child meals at TS restaurants instead of $7.99. Then, let's make each child meal a choice between a child favorite or a one-third portion of an adult meal.

Would that work out for you?

That would be awesome! :goodvibes

Good for you and me. Too bad we're not typical. :(

I would be happy if they would just bring back a few of the old items to the menu. What I don't understand is if an adult is paying for DDP and wants to get a kids meal why does disney care? Won't disney save money if an adult orders a kids meal for $3.99 rather then a adult meal for $7 for meal $2 for drink and $4 for dessert. I don't like the menus myself, my DD 2 who eats only mac and cheese and two bites at that loves it. But my DS who is a piggy would rather eat more of the adult style meals. I am not going to pay OOP for an adult meal for DS who is one! Just give a few better options. And don't even get me started on sugar free jello! Even my DS (the piggy) won't touch it. That being said I can live with it if we have too. I will find something to feed them. I am just not sure why they can't just add a few items to menus instead of changing the whole thing. I could be wrong but if disney is so broken up about the DDP why are they giving it away for free?

If the counter service isn't seperated as stated above, I dont see why you couldn't, lets say, if you have 2 children. Order one adult counter service and split it between the 2 kids.... I mean, your still paying for it... right?
Do you see what I'm saying?
Not to make anyone angry... just thinking in my head, lets say you have 2 adults, 2 children...young children.... one of the adults goes up and orders 3 adult counter service meals for that family of 4 to eat. Couldn't that be done????
Or will the people at the counter stop you from doing that?
Just a thought....not saying DO IT... but was just curious about that option for families.......

I don't think it would be a major concern. People purchase something for $10.99, they expect to get $10.99 worth of stuff, not more. You'd be very hard-pressed to find a child CS meal and a child TS meal that together don't add up to at least $10.99.

I don't think Disney really cares about the difference between adult CS meals and child CS meals as much as for TS meals ($3-$4 difference for each CS, versus $20-$30 difference for each TS), so it may take a lot more abuse before they impose significant enforcement of the rule.

Are you saying I can order an adult c.s meal for my 5 year old dgs, He actually loves Mac & cheeseand probably would be okay with that a few times but I can't see him being happy with chilled chichen B4efore I felt it was cheating but now this new kids menu has me thinking SOWHAT!!!

If the counter service isn't seperated as stated above, I dont see why you couldn't, lets say, if you have 2 children. Order one adult counter service and split it between the 2 kids.... I mean, your still paying for it... right?
Do you see what I'm saying?
Not to make anyone angry... just thinking in my head, lets say you have 2 adults, 2 children...young children.... one of the adults goes up and orders 3 adult counter service meals for that family of 4 to eat. Couldn't that be done????
Or will the people at the counter stop you from doing that?
Just a thought....not saying DO IT... but was just curious about that option for families.......
I'm not speaking from experience as I haven't been to WDW yet (going in 6 Days!!).....but I think in your example the system would show you only have 2 adults on the DDP. It would thus only let you order a max of 2 adult CS at one time; someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know what would happen if adult #1 orders 2 adult CS meals, followed closely in line by adult #2 who orders a third individual adult CS meal as part of a separate transaction. That would accomplish your hypothetical objective, but I don't know if that is possible. Perhaps someone else can clarify.

What I don't understand is if an adult is paying for DDP and wants to get a kids meal why does disney care?
I think it would only be a matter of having procedures and sticking with them, rather than falling back on the Carousel of Policy.

Solely because it is not permitted:

ChildAndAdultCredits.JPG

I think it would only be a matter of having procedures and sticking with them, rather than falling back on the Carousel of Policy.

Okay so again why would disney care if an adult pays for a adult DP and wants to order a kids meal for themselves. Disney stand to make more money from that.

It is not something that I would do, the kids meals are gross IMO. Plus I just don't do it.

I'm sorry if my earlier message wasn't clear. What I was saying is that it would only be a matter of sticking to a policy, i.e., "Child meals are for our guests 3 - 9 years old." If they allow adult Dining Plan patrons to order child meals, maybe they're concerned that someone will feel that entitles them to do so when paying cash, and then would insist on paying the menu price instead of a higher (unpublished) adult price. See Lewis' earlier messages...

Disney wants policies that are easy and avoid confrontation. They could just have a written notice on the menu. Something like, our kids menus are so good some adults want to try it (not sure how true that is:) ) We'll be happy to preapre an adult version of any child menu item for $ (an extra $10, double the price or list an adult price). We'll adjust the portion size and side dishes to satisfy adults that still have kids tastes.

I'm sorry if my earlier message wasn't clear. What I was saying is that it would only be a matter of sticking to a policy, i.e., "Child meals are for our guests 3 - 9 years old." If they allow adult Dining Plan patrons to order child meals, maybe they're concerned that someone will feel that entitles them to do so when paying cash, and then would insist on paying the menu price instead of a higher (unpublished) adult price. See Lewis' earlier messages...

Okay that makes total sense. You both have such great information! Bicker I hope you have a great trip.

Solely because it is not permitted:

ChildAndAdultCredits.JPG

Maybe I read samiandsky's message wrong, but I think they were saying have two children split an adult meal, not an adult have a child's meal. I don't think this is a problem if you're paying cash, but I'm not sure how the CS credits on the dining plan work (see ShappityTap's post)

My own question on this is - I have a 9 year old son, can I purchase an adult DDP for him? (don't know that I really want to, just wondering...)

I am going to be visiting in July, and knowing all of this info I have still purchased the dining plan, because I agree with the idea that even if the kids don't like the CS it is plenty of food for $11.00 a day, and the TS and snack are worth it without the CS. However, I think the new kids CS menus are really poor, and very "Un-Disney". Customer satisfaction is supposed to be the #1 objective, and so many people are unhappy, and for good reason. The kids choices are so poor. The fruit and veggie sides are a good idea as CHOICES but the kids should be able to get fries if they want them. We have 3 adults (oldest DD is 12) and 2 kids (DD4 and DD9) and I'm sure we can order 3 adult CS and 2 kids CS and share. I'll probably end up eating the kids meal and letting my daughters eat mine. I could eat chilled chicken and fruit for lunch and save the calories for my daily TS and desserts. The point is that this may not work for every family.

We try very hard with our kids to get them to eat well balanced meals with fresh ingredients and lots of fruits and veggies, but this is vacation. I think they should be able to eat fries and sweets and all the things that we usually restrict because vacation is all about cutting loose and having a good time. DH and I will be eating a lot of things that we usually don't eat at home, like rich desserts, so why shouldn't the kids too? As far as the SF Jello is concerned, red #40 and artificial sweetener are very unhealthy, and my kids won't be eating that.
:)
Has anyone written their complaints to Disney in a letter or email? I think maybe if they get enough complaints, they may do something about it.

AFAIK most CS restaurants will let you substitute fries for kids meals.

You did the math. The kids plan costs $11, the snack is worth $3-$4 and a TS character meal is worth $15 (with tax and tip).

Jello is literally free in cost as well as calories. Use a snack credit or pay cash if you want your child get an alternate dessert.

Disney is trying to come up with kids meals that are healthier, inexpensive and are unattractive to older kids and adults.

I am going to be visiting in July, and knowing all of this info I have still purchased the dining plan, because I agree with the idea that even if the kids don't like the CS it is plenty of food for $11.00 a day, and the TS and snack are worth it without the CS. However, I think the new kids CS menus are really poor, and very "Un-Disney". Customer satisfaction is supposed to be the #1 objective, and so many people are unhappy, and for good reason. The kids choices are so poor. The fruit and veggie sides are a good idea as CHOICES but the kids should be able to get fries if they want them. We have 3 adults (oldest DD is 12) and 2 kids (DD4 and DD9) and I'm sure we can order 3 adult CS and 2 kids CS and share. I'll probably end up eating the kids meal and letting my daughters eat mine. I could eat chilled chicken and fruit for lunch and save the calories for my daily TS and desserts. The point is that this may not work for every family.

We try very hard with our kids to get them to eat well balanced meals with fresh ingredients and lots of fruits and veggies, but this is vacation. I think they should be able to eat fries and sweets and all the things that we usually restrict because vacation is all about cutting loose and having a good time. DH and I will be eating a lot of things that we usually don't eat at home, like rich desserts, so why shouldn't the kids too? As far as the SF Jello is concerned, red #40 and artificial sweetener are very unhealthy, and my kids won't be eating that.
:)
Has anyone written their complaints to Disney in a letter or email? I think maybe if they get enough complaints, they may do something about it.

Disney wants policies that are easy and avoid confrontation. They could just have a written notice on the menu. Something like, our kids menus are so good some adults want to try it (not sure how true that is:) ) We'll be happy to preapre an adult version of any child menu item for $ (an extra $10, double the price or list an adult price). We'll adjust the portion size and side dishes to satisfy adults that still have kids tastes.

How would adjusting the portion size help if the adult is looking for a smaller portion? If I go to Backlot Express and order a chilled chicken strips meal which I often do for a snack, it's because I want some food but I don't want a full adult meal. CS portion sizes are sometimes way too big. I guess I am supposed to throw half of it away. I don't like that idea but maybe WDW would appreciate that better since they got the cash anyway. I've only ordered myself kids meals at CS because I can order smaller portions (appetizers) at TS places.

Disney put out some press thing awhile back that said when they were testing the new menus, parents would order fruit or other healthier side choices a vast majority of the time for kids IF those choices were made the primary component of the menu. They say that's why you see carrots or fruit on the menus now, and you have to ask if you want fries.

We just got back from WDW a week ago and were on the DDP with DD age 5 and DS age 3. The new sides of grapes and carrotts they loved. I loved them too of course, for nutritional value. But the main course choices are TERRIBLE!

My DS had one bite of the Stouffer mac-n-cheese at Columbia Harbor House and spit it out! I don't know about anyone else, but if it's not Kraft Mac n Cheese my kids won't eat it! The only other choice was cold chicken. I really wish they had chicken strips as a choice in more places! As for the PBJ; if you like the uncrustables well, you'll be happy. But, I took one bite and I couldn't stomach it! Too much Peanut Butter and Jelly.

We were happy at Liberty Tree Tavern when I nicely asked our CM if our kids could possibly have a grilled cheese and he let us!!! Both of my kids gobbled them up! My son was terribly upset that they didn't have mini corn dogs anymore!

So, be prepared if you have a more picky Pre-schooler! :)

Ofrget about whether we are saving money by going on the dining plan or not - forget about the fact that disney is trying to cut costs because quite frankly I think that is a pretty weak argument when the savings on the dining plan for adults can be huge!! So I have trouble believing that Disney is concerned with the price difference between a burger and a sloppy joe when I can have steak and seafood for dinner and my meal exceed the price i am paying on the dining plan for the day! Carrots, grapes - great - healthy and certainly nutritious...but as a parent of two children (7&5) that eat just about anything don't try to sell me that the nutritious offerings to help combat childhood obesity are mac and cheese (stouffers?), pb&j (one thing my children have never eaten and will not eat), and sugar free jello. Am I really to believe that this is better than a veggie pizza, some ribs and corn, fish, salad or any of the other countless things my children actually will eat! Some are saying that these meals are made to deter adults ...well let's be sure about one thing if they deter adults, they most definitely will deter children! I don't have the option of not doing DDP for my kids so buffets and certain TS restaurants are required (even many of those have bad food choices?!) and paying OOP for CS for my kids while I of course eat like a queen...not rational

There are plenty of kid meal options at most fast food places today. [Wendy's has these great turkey sandwiches!!] Many adults order kids meals, lets face it the portion sizes are really what meals should look like for most grown people. It doesn't cause a major upset to those companies. I just don't see why they had to make the Kids Meals so gross. I am still not happy over the fact that kids do not have adequate meal choices for a vacation, "fun" venue. Heck, they could just do exactly what the major Fast Food companies do!!???!!! ( we do plan on ordering OOP, if we need to) And I'm sure I'll end up eating some of that junk..(except the Jello--yuk!!!!.how nice for me :scared1: )

PS-one of my little darlings is allergic to red food dye, that ought to be a hoot when it comes to trying to get a CS meal dessert!!!!

luv-I emailed Disney 3 times, I spoke to a rep once and I did let them know our displeasure of not being able to get a typical "kids meal" offering at every venue. I really hate the idea of having to walk across the park to get a kids meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter