Kid's meals on DDP

Nope, not so. They wouldn't let us sub french fries at any of the CS places we ate at. We either ordered an adult meal with french fries and let the kids eat those or used a snack credit to get fries. There were no problems subbing at TS tho.

Very dissappointing. Do you remember where you ate your CS's--this way I know where to stay away from.

I know last Friday (2/2) we were not allowed to sub fries at Flame Tree Barbecue on the kids meals.

Jennifer

We were able to sub french fries in our dd4's kids meals when we were there early January. I do not recall off the top of our head exactly where though. We only did that once or twice. I want to say that Pecos Bill did it though.

Edit: Just found my Pecos Bills receipt and we ordered grapes and applesauce there. I know we did sub it at least once, I just don't remember where. Sorry! I do remember hearing that you can sub FF though and it was in very very small type at the bottom of the kids menu somewhere. I remember commenting on it to DH (about how small the type was).

None of the CS places we ate at let us sub fries or desserts if we ordered a kids meal. They would let you use a snack credit though. I really believe that Disney will upset many guests if they seperate CS credits. As it stands now, if a parent says that their child can't/won't eat the 2 kid choices at most places, the CM's can let them get a burger (or something else) at their discretion. If they seperate them, I really think they will have people flipping out in CS lines demanding to speak to managers. And yes, I know these people could NOT purchase the DDP. But I KNOW that there are many families who go to Disney with the plan and have know idea that they could check out CS menus online, and would never even think to do so. When these people get there and find out that their kids have 2 choices (chilled chicken and mac and cheese-for example) at the CS place they have stopped at...well, not every one is going to be happy with that. Some may even demand to know why their kids can't get a hot dog or hamburger or pizza or chicken fingers, etc. At this point, the CM's can deal with this easily. If credits are seperated, they won't be able to.

Kids TS choices are really rather good, I don't know why the kids CS is so bad just about everywhere. :confused3

I don't think it would be a major concern. People purchase something for $10.99, they expect to get $10.99 worth of stuff, not more. You'd be very hard-pressed to find a child CS meal and a child TS meal that together don't add up to at least $10.99.

I don't think Disney really cares about the difference between adult CS meals and child CS meals as much as for TS meals ($3-$4 difference for each CS, versus $20-$30 difference for each TS), so it may take a lot more abuse before they impose significant enforcement of the rule.

We did the dining plan for the first time in January. My DD8 wasn't crazy about some of the counter service choices either. I ended up sharing with her in most of the counter service restaurants. The portions were large and came with dessert. We did this in Tusker House, shared the rotissiere chicken and chocolate cake and Columbia Harbour House fish and chips as well as others. There was so much food on the dining plan, I was glad for the two of us to share. We then used some of the counter services to share breakfast also.

Hey, if Disney is looking for someone to revamp their CS kids' meals, they can PM me. I will come up with unique offerings CS restaurants that will make the kids happy, give the poor lil' guys some variety, make the parents happy, and keep the cost within Disney's budget. :laughing:

Well in the new Disney Visa rewards it states right in there about the healthy lunch and snack. It says in writing that "you can still opt for fries and sodas at no extra charge" for the kids menus. I will bring this with since my kids only like certain fruits and veggies and on vacation I let them have a little more fun with their meals.

We just returned yesterday from a short birthday trip for my son (he turned 9 during our weekend). I had DDP for all of us (3A and 2C). This was our first trip since November (before the menu changes really started at the TS places). The CS credits are not separated, but we easily managed with sharing A meals between all of us. At times my 4.5 yo wanted the kids nuggets so I got him that. He doesn't eat fries much so I didn't bother asking if I could have them, and he won't eat the jello so I didn't get that either.

However, we faced our biggest challenges this time at TS. I knew the menus had changed and thought we'd be fine. The place that was the best was LeCellier. DS9 ordered the cheese soup and the steak. I ordered the tenderloin kebob and swapped that w/ his soup. So everyone was happy.

However, we went to Kona and Coral Reef (his birthday pick) and it wasn't as great. The "healthy selections" allow for no substitutions...servers specifically stated that. So even if he wanted the macaroni w/ beef and cheese, he didn't want the appetizer or dessert. So we had to opt for the choose your own side. The m&c is now the same as offered at CS places (very thick, cheesy and I'm sorry, kind of gloppy). CR used to offer something called Triton's pasta with a choice of cheese sauce or marinara (so you could control the amount). No more. The fish was mahi mahi, which he won't eat, and the one of the healthy choices was fish also so he was really limited. So he got the soup (which he loves) and got the grilled chicken breast, with mashed potatoes and broccoli. I ordered the prime rib and agreed to swap some with him.

The dinner came out and there was 1 single broccoli floret on the plate. Not a serving, but a single floret. The chicken breast was small, and when I tried it, overdone and dried out. I couldn't eat it and certainly wouldn't have expected a 9 yo to want it either. I was very disappointed with this selection. DS4.5 ordered the pizza w/o chicken as a selection options and he ate some, but DS9 realized that he should have gotten something like that. However, most places don't offer it as a choose your own (only a preplated choice).

I think that if this trend continues, we will not be purchasing DDP again. Our son was too unhappy that there wasn't more that he liked on the menus and frankly, they are basically the same ones over and over again. I just think that we've perhaps outgrown it for a period of time now and we'll have to rethink it in the future when DS ages out of the kids meal.

We just returned yesterday from a short birthday trip for my son (he turned 9 during our weekend). I had DDP for all of us (3A and 2C). This was our first trip since November (before the menu changes really started at the TS places). The CS credits are not separated, but we easily managed with sharing A meals between all of us. At times my 4.5 yo wanted the kids nuggets so I got him that. He doesn't eat fries much so I didn't bother asking if I could have them, and he won't eat the jello so I didn't get that either.

However, we faced our biggest challenges this time at TS. I knew the menus had changed and thought we'd be fine. The place that was the best was LeCellier. DS9 ordered the cheese soup and the steak. I ordered the tenderloin kebob and swapped that w/ his soup. So everyone was happy.

However, we went to Kona and Coral Reef (his birthday pick) and it wasn't as great. The "healthy selections" allow for no substitutions...servers specifically stated that. So even if he wanted the macaroni w/ beef and cheese, he didn't want the appetizer or dessert. So we had to opt for the choose your own side. The m&c is now the same as offered at CS places (very thick, cheesy and I'm sorry, kind of gloppy). CR used to offer something called Triton's pasta with a choice of cheese sauce or marinara (so you could control the amount). No more. The fish was mahi mahi, which he won't eat, and the one of the healthy choices was fish also so he was really limited. So he got the soup (which he loves) and got the grilled chicken breast, with mashed potatoes and broccoli. I ordered the prime rib and agreed to swap some with him.

The dinner came out and there was 1 single broccoli floret on the plate. Not a serving, but a single floret. The chicken breast was small, and when I tried it, overdone and dried out. I couldn't eat it and certainly wouldn't have expected a 9 yo to want it either. I was very disappointed with this selection. DS4.5 ordered the pizza w/o chicken as a selection options and he ate some, but DS9 realized that he should have gotten something like that. However, most places don't offer it as a choose your own (only a preplated choice).

I think that if this trend continues, we will not be purchasing DDP again. Our son was too unhappy that there wasn't more that he liked on the menus and frankly, they are basically the same ones over and over again. I just think that we've perhaps outgrown it for a period of time now and we'll have to rethink it in the future when DS ages out of the kids meal.

Thanks for the heads up regarding Coral Reef. I might have to re-think dining there for our next tripl.

Hey, if Disney is looking for someone to revamp their CS kids' meals, they can PM me. I will come up with unique offerings CS restaurants that will make the kids happy, give the poor lil' guys some variety, make the parents happy, and keep the cost within Disney's budget. :laughing:

And I would be more than happy to help you. I really hope they make some changes in this plan before our next trip.

The dinner came out and there was 1 single broccoli floret on the plate. Not a serving, but a single floret. The chicken breast was small, and when I tried it, overdone and dried out. I couldn't eat it and certainly wouldn't have expected a 9 yo to want it either. I was very disappointed with this selection. ... I think that if this trend continues, we will not be purchasing DDP again.
Though this issue is not a Dining Plan issue, but just a regular dining issue. The alternative would be to buy adult meals for him...

The problem is making sure the meal isn't attractive to adults and older kids who might be looking for a less expensive meal. Disney isn't willing/able to enforce the age rule on kids meals, particularly CS. Restaurants, including Disney, discount kids meals by more than just the savings from smaller portions.

The problem is making sure the meal isn't attractive to adults and older kids who might be looking for a less expensive meal. Disney isn't willing/able to enforce the age rule on kids meals, particularly CS. Restaurants, including Disney, discount kids meals by more than just the savings from smaller portions.

But by doing this, unfortunately, they are also not making the choices attractive to the typical 7, 8 & 9 year old. My children will be turning 8 & 9 during our next trip and I know already that unless things change, I will be paying alot out of pocket for them.

I think the point is that, apparently, that won't matter enough, while the converse will matter -- i.e., they lose less money this way than they'd lose the other way.

Well in the new Disney Visa rewards it states right in there about the healthy lunch and snack. It says in writing that "you can still opt for fries and sodas at no extra charge" for the kids menus. I will bring this with since my kids only like certain fruits and veggies and on vacation I let them have a little more fun with their meals.

Yes, on TS meals you can sub (you can also get soda.) We were told NO SUBSTITUTIONS at any of the CS meals we ate at: Columbia Harbour House, Flame Tree BBQ, Tusker House, ABC Commisary and Roaring Fork. We usually ordered something with fries and shared it with our kids, or used a snack credit to get extra fries. Maybe there are some CS meals that are allowing substitutions (sounds like maybe Pecos Bills :confused3 ) but not that we found. This was last week when we were there.

Again, at TS there was no problem substituting and we found most restaurant to be rather accomodating. No complaint there :) .

First, I want to say that I agree that the CS kids' choices stink. However, I've been around the boards this evening and have noticed that the snack credits are really great. We went in November 2005, and could not get then what you can get now. We're going for 6 nights - 2 adults and 3 kids (one is 2, so no plan for him) which means we get 24 snack credits. I just read that you can get an eight-pack of Entenmann's donuts for ONE snack credit! That will be breakfast for all of us for 2 mornings (granted we're small breakfast eaters!) You can also use snack credits on soft pretzels, ice cream cones, popcorn, fruit bowls, lots of pastries, etc. I think I'd be happy giving my CS credits to my kids, and just eating snacks:)

Here's the link to the snacks thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1109080

This makes me much happier about doing the DDP:woohoo:

I hope we aren't forgetting, while we discuss business, and profit, and the bottom line...that Disney is supposed to be a fun and pleasant place for children? ;) CS offerings for guests age 9 and under shouldn't have to be nauseating (like that yummy sounding "chilled chicken") to discourage adults from ordering kiddie meals for themselves.

Most major fast food restaurants have managed to make a profit by offering kids meals that have something palatable that children actually want to eat. I think they could offer at every counter service a kid's burger, chicken strips, pb&j, and mini cheese pizza -- standard, across the board -- and then one or two other entrees, like a small ham or turkey sub, or mac and cheese, or something appropriate to the restaurant's theme, like a BBQ chicken leg at Flame Tree. All three of those items are offered at Sunshine Seasons, so Disney definitely knows how to make those entrees into kid's meals. And some more choices on the sides, like a fruit rollup, or a small pack of trail mix, a package of teddy grahams, a cup of yogurt, or a cup of fruit like diced peaches or mandarin oranges. It doesn't have to be anything gourmet, but if your family is staying for a week at Disney, there are only so many cups of applesauce and sugar free Jello a kid can take. Unless Disney's intention is that parents will give up by the second day and just start paying OOP for adult meals for their kids.

I hope we aren't forgetting, while we discuss business, and profit, and the bottom line...that Disney is supposed to be a fun and pleasant place for children? ;) CS offerings for guests age 9 and under shouldn't have to be nauseating (like that yummy sounding "chilled chicken") to discourage adults from ordering kiddie meals for themselves.

Most major fast food restaurants have managed to make a profit by offering kids meals that have something palatable that children actually want to eat. I think they could offer at every counter service a kid's burger, chicken strips, pb&j, and mini cheese pizza -- standard, across the board -- and then one or two other entrees, like a small ham or turkey sub, or mac and cheese, or something appropriate to the restaurant's theme, like a BBQ chicken leg at Flame Tree. All three of those items are offered at Sunshine Seasons, so Disney definitely knows how to make those entrees into kid's meals. And some more choices on the sides, like a fruit rollup, or a small pack of trail mix, a package of teddy grahams, a cup of yogurt, or a cup of fruit like diced peaches or mandarin oranges. It doesn't have to be anything gourmet, but if your family is staying for a week at Disney, there are only so many cups of applesauce and sugar free Jello a kid can take. Unless Disney's intention is that parents will give up by the second day and just start paying OOP for adult meals for their kids.

I could not agree more.

I hope we aren't forgetting, while we discuss business, and profit, and the bottom line...that Disney is supposed to be a fun and pleasant place for children? ;)
It is. It absolutely is. I think you're reading a lot more into what's being discussed than is actual, and I believe a lot of people allow minor annoyances to adversely affect their vacations in unfounded ways.

CS offerings for guests age 9 and under shouldn't have to be nauseating (like that yummy sounding "chilled chicken")
It's not "nauseating". That's hyperbole, and all hyperbole does adds more emotion/less logic to the discussion. Some children, like my DN6, actually prefer bland food.
... to discourage adults from ordering kiddie meals for themselves.
As Lewis suggested, blame greedy adults who have been abusing Disney's generosity for decades. I can point you towards dozens of threads that show the kind of behavior we're referring to, if you'd like.

Most major fast food restaurants have managed to make a profit by offering kids meals that have something palatable that children actually want to eat.
Most fast food restaurants haven't had to deal with the kind of behavior on the part of their customers that Disney has to deal with. Many people simply walk into the theme parks with a stronger, almost disabling, sense of entitlement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter