• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kid's meals on DDP

I really don't understand why they don't have food specific to the restaurant type on the kids menus. What's the point of taking your child to a special restaurant if they only have a choice of the same items at every restaurant. We were looking forward to Kona Cafe & Spoodles with our 8 yr old but now I'm considering changing our reservations to the Buffets at Boma & Beach Club so there will be more for him to eat. Of course we were looking forward to the sit down dinner & food at Kona & Spoodles but not if he'll only have pizza & mac & beef to choose from....I'm really disappointed! I hope there's still good kid's choices at Le Cellier & Wolfgang Puck's Cafe.

Some say it's to prevent adults from ordering children's meals. There's also some indications by Disney that it's trying to come up with healthier offerings for children. They've already had to change from their original revamped kids' menus, so the first attempt didn't go over too well.

I don't see how mac & cheese is any healthier than pizza. And it's the same menu everywhere. The reason we go to different restaurants is to try different foods. Disney has brought the same food to different restaruants. Some sort of Dyslexia I just dont get. Why bother reading the menu at all. Just eat based on convenience & atmosphere.

No one at Disney is saying that macaroni and cheese is healthier than pizza. That's an inference unsupported by the statements they've made. It's surely an assertion that is easy to argue against, but since they haven't made that assertion, the argument against it is pretty pointless, so I won't go into the details of what's "wrong" with macaroni and cheese and pizza from a health standpoint. It's just not relevant.

The word "choices" refers to more than one option. There is indeed more than one option at each location, hence the appropriate use of the word "choices".

Keep in mind that different restaurants do offer different foods -- just not at the cut-rate discounted prices they charge for child meals. Remember that child meals cost about 28% of adult meals. Since the cost of food ingredients is pretty minimal, that difference in price cannot be accounted for solely by smaller portions. There needs to be some other foundation for such insanely low prices (by comparison) for child meals beyond just portion size, and indeed efficiencies of scale is that foundation.

I think they should charge something more appropriate for the kid's program like $20. Maybe they could offer 2 levels of kid's dining. I think. ultimately, that you shouldn't have to puchase a meal plan for your kids. I would rather purchase whatever they want at the counter service & just get them an appeitzer & share:hippie: :surfweb: our meals at the TS. It would cost me more than the DDP so Disney wouldnt lose out & my kids could get what they want. I know I have the option of purchasing these things oop but when you are forced to spend money for the plan you sort of feel compelled to use it for something...even if it's something you don't really want...maybe it's just me.

Nobody's forced to spend money on the plan. Everybody has the choice to get the plan or to not get the plan. The only thing you're compelled to do is, if you want the plan for the adults in the party, you're also required to buy the plan for the children.

If the plan for the adults saves so much money, why not get the children's plan, which doesn't cost much anyway, and then supplement the kids' meals out of pocket?

That's exactly what we're doing but it does seem a shame that there's not many child sized meals of normal food. You have to either purchase an adult sized portion or share yours & get an extra appetizer. It would be nice if your child could get an appropriately proportioned sized meal of their own of the same type of food on the rest of the menu. Especially since you can each choose what you want instead of having to make that decision on something you are sharing.

That's exactly what we're doing but it does seem a shame that there's not many child sized meals of normal food. You have to either purchase an adult sized portion or share yours & get an extra appetizer. It would be nice if your child could get an appropriately proportioned sized meal of their own of the same type of food on the rest of the menu. Especially since you can each choose what you want instead of having to make that decision on something you are sharing.

If it's suggested enough, Disney may offer larger portions of children's meals, but no doubt at a higher price. The way it is now, it's still a deal to get the dining plan if you supplement the meals for the kids, or share.

I agree that it's a great value but I think it's more of a special experience for your child to be able to order their own meal & not having to share someone else's. Ordering an adult meal for them when you know a large portion of it will go uneaten seems like such a waste of food but I know that's what we will be doing some of the time. This is our first time on the ddp & we're looking forward to it.

It would be nice from a parent's standpoint -- after all, that's the way we feed our kids at home. We don't eat steak and give them chicken nuggets; we give our kids a smaller steak, if that's what they want. However, if you look at kid's meals at restaurants, that's not the way it works. All kids menus are different offerings, much smaller plates and typically cheaper, plainer foods than the adult menus.

Kids' meals are a loss leader for restaurants. If you offer the kids' meals cheap, maybe just above cost, then the parents will be more willing to pay full price for their own meals, maybe even splurge on extras or a more expensive meal. Look at all the places that offer "kids eat free" on their slower nights.

Kids' meals are plainer foods because most kids balk a bit at blue cheese crusted steak, asparagus with hollandaise, strawberry-rhubarb crumble, or other dishes designed to tempt an adult palate. Some kids may be more gourmet, but most want familiar foods like burgers, fries, pizza, chicken nuggets, and ice cream.

Kids' meals are typically limited to "guests 10 and under" because the restaurants don't intend to feed adults at almost no profit. Some restaurants have started catering to smaller adult appetites with seniors' menus (but you have to meet an age requirement there, too!), or "lighter selections" -- but if you notice the prices aren't necessarily much lower than full-sized portions.

I am sorry but no way is my 8 year old eating off the kids menus for 14 days.
I have been through all the menus and there is very little choice and cs and ts meals are very similar.
I will be going to as many buffets and family style TS as possible,for any others we will share or pay oop.DH is not keen on desserts so she can have his and DD13 couldnt eat 3 courses so between us we should be ok.
As for CS meals she will share with us or I will pay oop.
We have got free dinning so I dont mind paying oop and it will not spoil our holiday as I am informed before I go,however if I had paid for the dinning plan and turned up without knowing what was on offer I would have been very upset.I cant argue that it isnt good value because it is for the ts meals alone but if you have a few kids and you think you have budgeted for the kids meals it could be really hard.

WDW rule of thumb: Always keep the little ones out-numbered. :lmao:

We usually share an appetizer & a dessert between 2 of us & end up taking home a "doggy bag" so I'm confident that there will be plenty of food for all of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter