Just curious - Disney Dining Plan

Whatever happened to just setting aside a budget for food-if I put $1000 in my savings account BEFORE my trip as my Disney food budget-is that not equivalent to pre-paying? :confused3
Some people are better at this than others. For some, socking the money away in a place they absolutely can't touch works well, and for others, they're able to have it "available" (note, the availability and accessibility is different per person, but just in general, e.g. the savings account) without touching it.

Myself, I'm one of the formers, and my budgeting is absolutely horrible. It's one of the things that keeps me going to Disney every year, the ability to book and then pay off in small chunks. Whereas a non-package trip (e.g. a trip to Yellowstone) would require me to pay either in full either at time of service or at time of booking (depending on which piece) and I'd not likely have the money socked away well enough and end up struggling to pay it off afterward. (as a personal aside, before this ends up a side conversation, it IS something that I am actively working on and getting better at. Still have a ways to go, but it's getting there and my peaks and valleys are smoothing out).

Now, how much to "pay" for the ability to make it easier to budget is purely subjective. I may go up to about $50 or so, but that's about it, others may choose more, others may choose none, while still others may choose to ignore potential savings less than a certain amount so they don't get tied to a plan. That's the great thing about said plans, they're optional and you don't have to get them unless they'll work out for your situation and trip. (Barring Disney's marketing and hard-selling of said plans, but that's where we come in :p)

It strikes me, that I generally don't hear anybody value pre-paying, about anything other than justification for the Disney dining plan.
Do most people prefer to pay for their Disney vacation in full as soon as possible, or do a lot of people put off payment until approximately the 45 day mark?

Do anyone send money into their credit card companies in order to carry a credit on their balance, and thus pre-pay their purchases? Or do most people wait until *after* they get their credit card bill, to pay it off?

Many retailers offer their own financing... Buy Now, pay it off over time, later. Don't see many retailers saying, "Pay us $500 now, and we'll let you pick a couch priced up to $500 in our store next year!"

You could walk into a restaurant, hand the waiter $100 --- And say, "I'm prepaying my meal, just take this money, I don't want any change.... Just let me order any entree I want."

Truthfully, you could find ways to pre-pay all your purchases in life. But other than Disney dining, it doesn't seem to be a popular option.

It strikes me, that I generally don't hear anybody value pre-paying, about anything other than justification for the Disney dining plan.
Do most people prefer to pay for their Disney vacation in full as soon as possible, or do a lot of people put off payment until approximately the 45 day mark?

Do anyone send money into their credit card companies in order to carry a credit on their balance, and thus pre-pay their purchases? Or do most people wait until *after* they get their credit card bill, to pay it off?

Many retailers offer their own financing... Buy Now, pay it off over time, later. Don't see many retailers saying, "Pay us $500 now, and we'll let you pick a couch priced up to $500 in our store next year!"

You could walk into a restaurant, hand the waiter $100 --- And say, "I'm prepaying my meal, just take this money, I don't want any change.... Just let me order any entree I want."

Truthfully, you could find ways to pre-pay all your purchases in life. But other than Disney dining, it doesn't seem to be a popular option.

I guess I just don't see why it matters so much to you.

Do you think suddenly everyone is going to "see the light" and stop buying the Disney Dining plan, and that Disney will add more choices back into their restaurants and have tables available for walk-ups again?

Sorry to break it to you. That's not happening. Dining plan or not.

If I rent DVC points, I prepay for my lodging in full. If I book CRT, the dinner shows, special meals, or special tours, I prepay for those too. If I book MNSSHP ahead of time, I'll prepay there as well. I've already prepaid for my package, whether or not I've paid it off ahead of the 45 day mark, it's still all prepaid. If I bought DVC, I'd have prepaid for several years worth of lodging. If I book travel (airfare, trainfare, busfare, etc), I'm prepaying there too. Prepayment is simply paying in full before services are rendered, and there are many cases where this is the concept. It doesn't work as well with retail, as there is a definitive object that you receive when paying for it, but services are different.

I guess the difference is that, with a plan, I'm prepaying with options at the time of use, rather than just prepaying and getting what's given to me. This means that I'm in charge of how much (or how little) value I can pull out of the payment. If this works for you, then great, if not, not a big deal. We have the option of choosing a plan and the responsibility of choosing the one that works for us. If none of them do, then we can go without.

If prepayment has a value for you due to financial, ease of budgeting, or mixed party reasons, then great, if not, then, again, not a big deal. Not sure why someone deciding to prepay for whatever would be a concern to someone who would not. So long as they know what they are paying for in advance and are given the proper information regarding said decision (which, I know and we agree that Disney does not do, that's what research is for and that's why we, collectively, attempt to guide people into making the right decision, whichever it may be), it doesn't matter what they choose.

Am I getting ripped off if I decide to prepay my dining? Especially knowing how the system works and having an ability to make that system work to my advantage? If I decide that "losing" $50 is worth it to me for the value of said prepayment, am I still getting ripped off? Even though I agreed that the cost of said prepayment was worth whatever benefit I received from it?

Now, I get that YOU may feel ripped off in that second case. That's fine, that's why it doesn't work for you. I am not you, and thus place different value on different things and the ability to toss my money into Disney's mouth now to utilize the services later works for me.

In the past we always used the ddp in our travels to the world. We found out that we would order to much food and over eat. We now purchase the same in costs of the dinning plan and place on a Disney gift card. At the end we can save the card with extra money on it or purchase items in the park

That's a very good idea! I know that the Disney plan "saves you 20%" but really the only reason we use it is so that we can budget and pay for it ahead so we don't have to carry cash for other than tips and souvenirs.

The problem that will be solved with ridding the world of the dining plan is QUALITY! But the only way to make dining fair really is to get rid of the 180 adr system completely.

That's a very good idea! I know that the Disney plan "saves you 20%" but really the only reason we use it is so that we can budget and pay for it ahead so we don't have to carry cash for other than tips and souvenirs.

The problem that will be solved with ridding the world of the dining plan is QUALITY! But the only way to make dining fair really is to get rid of the 180 adr system completely.

But you make the assumption that the lower quality and 180 day ADR system exists ony because of the dining plan. Lowering the quality saves Disney money and having tables filled so far out benefits their staffing and planning. So I really don't think ridding the world of the dining plan will make either of those go away.

If I rent DVC points, I prepay for my lodging in full. If I book CRT, the dinner shows, special meals, or special tours, I prepay for those too. If I book MNSSHP ahead of time, I'll prepay there as well. I've already prepaid for my package, whether or not I've paid it off ahead of the 45 day mark, it's still all prepaid. If I bought DVC, I'd have prepaid for several years worth of lodging. If I book travel (airfare, trainfare, busfare, etc), I'm prepaying there too.

In all those cases, the seller is requiring pre-payment. It's not often that given the choice, that the buyer opts for pre-payment.

Take trainfare as an example --- I live amongst NYC commuters. You can pay daily, or you can buy a monthly ticket (prepayment). The monthly ticket is significantly CHEAPER than the daily rate, encouraging people to buy it. But if the monthly ticket was priced HIGHER than daily tickets... would people buy it solely for the prepayment aspect?
If daily round trip tickets were $20... would buyers be willing to pay $700 for a monthly ticket? Or they buy the monthly ticket only because it is priced at $300?

Am I getting ripped off if I decide to prepay my dining? Especially knowing how the system works and having an ability to make that system work to my advantage? If I decide that "losing" $50 is worth it to me for the value of said prepayment, am I still getting ripped off? Even though I agreed that the cost of said prepayment was worth whatever benefit I received from it?

No, you're not getting ripped off. Where the numbers are close, I fully understand someone personally choosing the dining plan because they place subjective value in pre-payment, or a feeling of all-inclusiveness, or whatever the case may be.
While I don't personally agree with that sentiment myself, I can fully respect it.

Notably, the DisneyLAND dining plan is basically a pre-payment plan.
I wonder (I have NO clue what the answer is) how popular that pure pre-payment plan is. I wonder how its popularity differs from the Disney World dining plan. I wonder if it has the same level of participation, or how different the level of participation is.

I am planning my first ever trip to Disney world with my son when he turns 6 in 2014. I hope they will still offer dining plans to UK residents then as it keeps a worry off my head knowing meals are paid for. I will probably experience buying my own food without DP if I go on more trips to Florida but until then it suits me especially if it's free

I am always amazed when people declare that the DDP is the reason that meal quality has diminished. I wonder if it is the reason that some places have managed to remain open or if it contributes to keeping the quality higher than it would be without.

I do not dispute that the DDP is a very advantageous tool that Disney uses to keep their guests staying and eating onsite. I have no idea what the bottom line profit or loss number is for WDW nor do I know how every individual business contributes or detracts from the overall health of WDW resort. I do know that if guests find that staying offsite is a better value and they have no incentive to remain on Disney property there will be a negative effect on the parks, the resorts and the restaurants.

Unless you have access to Disney financial statements and business plan it is impossible to state with real accuracy what determines how Disney orders food and how Disney manages to generate a profit. It is impossible to know if the DDP is actually contributing to the overall health of those TS restaurants that you think have declined in quality.

The fact remains that if a family purchases the DDP they must be purchasing a package. That means that there is a minimum number of days they purchase, they must stay onsite. You want that plan you keep Disney Resorts hopping. You want that plan you are agreeing to buy tix to the parks. You want that plan you may decide not to go to Universal Studios or Clearwater Beach. You want that plan you are agreeing to pay for a certain amount of meals. You are not taking your money to Steak and Shake.

Notably, the DisneyLAND dining plan is basically a pre-payment plan.
I wonder (I have NO clue what the answer is) how popular that pure pre-payment plan is. I wonder how its popularity differs from the Disney World dining plan. I wonder if it has the same level of participation, or how different the level of participation is.

I have only been to DLR once but I would not have even considered the plan. There was no incentive for me to stay on Disney property because there were plenty of hotels within walking distance to the parks. I have read here on the boards that the plan is offered but is not popular or cost effective at all.

I have only been to DLR once but I would not have even considered the plan. There was no incentive for me to stay on Disney property because there were plenty of hotels within walking distance to the parks. I have read here on the boards that the plan is offered but is not popular or cost effective at all.

Seems the biggest reason to stay on property is EMH, especially for Cars Land.

Not to get into the big argument, just wanting to share my recent experience.

Two families traveled together for 10 days - same configuration for both families: mom, dad, one Disney adult, one child. We looked it over before we left and decided to not purchase the DDP. The other family did. We had 90% of our meals together. I don't think that the other family saved much money, if any, based on my calculations, but even if they did, we were quite happy that we didn't get the DDP. What I noticed was that the other family was very concerned with maximizing their value, as other people have posted. They had tons of desserts in their fridge, because the kids would be too full to eat them. The older child always wanted stuff off the kids' menu but they pushed him towards adult menu items. It just seemed to be more stressful for everyone.

Two families traveled together for 10 days - same configuration for both families: mom, dad, one Disney adult, one child. We looked it over before we left and decided to not purchase the DDP. The other family did. We had 90% of our meals together. I don't think that the other family saved much money, if any, based on my calculations, but even if they did, we were quite happy that we didn't get the DDP. What I noticed was that the other family was very concerned with maximizing their value, as other people have posted. They had tons of desserts in their fridge, because the kids would be too full to eat them. The older child always wanted stuff off the kids' menu but they pushed him towards adult menu items. It just seemed to be more stressful for everyone.

Those seem to be the mirror positions.
Some people look at OOP as being stressful, saying that worrying about the price of each item gives them anxiety. And the DDP gives them the "freedom" where they don't have to care about prices.
On the flip side, some people think DDP is more stressful, because having already spent a ton of money on it, you start stressing about getting value.

Personally, I generally don't look at menu prices when OOP. I mean, if ordering a bottle of wine, I don't get the $5,000 1981 Chateau Mouton Rothschild. But I'm not swayed between the $18 pasta and the $22 pork and the $28 steak by the price. I order dessert if I'm in the mood for dessert, not based on its price. But if I'm on the DDP, then I'm more likely to look at the prices, since I feel compelled to get value. And if I'm on the DDP, I'm more likely to order dessert even if I'm just on the fence about it.

The 'free' dining plan isn't really free. It's a trade off with having to pay rack rate for your room. In evaluating the dining plan vs paying out of pocket, we determined that we would have money saved by paying OOP.

Well since pop century only got 5% off for my dates. I will take my free QSDP that saves me over 800.00 vs the 50.00 I would have saved for the room only. I do understand what you are saying but that don't apply to everyone. Alot of the deluxes with FD even priced out cheaper than the room only discount this year also since there wasn't alot of 40% off this year. So yes in my world it is free!

People that were traditionally Disney foodies believe that it has resulted in the homogenization of the dining experiences and a general dumbing down of dining in the World. There is quite a bit of truth to that, I think. It also is what drives the 180 days out reservations, which many don't like, especially locals.

I spent some time yesterday booking adrs for my Disney holiday. I got all the ones I wanted and that was booked 2 days out from the actual holiday.

I have a similar situation, I have a adult child that prefers the children's menu but charged an adult on ddp not sure if I should pay put of pocket or ddp?

I have a similar situation, I have a adult child that prefers the children's menu but charged an adult on ddp not sure if I should pay put of pocket or ddp?

Will your adult child eat $55 +/- day in food? If not than that person will not be getting the most bang for your DDP buck. If you are going to be doing a lot of character meals the DDP might be a break even since you'd be paying an adult price regardless of what your adult child is eating.

When I am helping someone plan a trip and the DDP comes up I tell them to browse the menu prices found online, get an idea of what they'd order and see if they'd break even or save with/without the DDP. That is also how I figure out if we will use the DDP during a trip and since we aren't big dessert people and eat what we want (DDP or OOP) we tend to save going OOP.

Will your adult child eat $55 +/- day in food? If not than that person will not be getting the most bang for your DDP buck. If you are going to be doing a lot of character meals the DDP might be a break even since you'd be paying an adult price regardless of what your adult child is eating.

When I am helping someone plan a trip and the DDP comes up I tell them to browse the menu prices found online, get an idea of what they'd order and see if they'd break even or save with/without the DDP. That is also how I figure out if we will use the DDP during a trip and since we aren't big dessert people and eat what we want (DDP or OOP) we tend to save going OOP.

I guess I'll have to figure out where we'll eat and check the menus and check pricing. It's tough because half will probably be adult meals or family style which he would be charged adult and the others kids. So if it's not a huge savings just do ddp? Although I agree with others about the wasted horrible qs desserts. I wish the kids weren't cut of at age 9. I feel like an 9 year old doesn't turn into an adult by 10! Disney should have a junior rate till 11 or 12 years old. Example kids $18, juniors $35, and adults $55. Good idea, keep dreaming!!:cheer2:

DDP is perfect for us (kids are grown) because I'm not constantly pinching pennies at the restaurants. I realize I'm fooling myself; we are paying for the food.............but it for sure allows me to have a better dining experience:)
Also, we have been going twice a year for the past decade or so and I really haven't noticed a drop in quality. I do however miss the boom days when tip and apps were included but:confused3 that's Disney.
For us DDP is still the best

I guess I'll have to figure out where we'll eat and check the menus and check pricing. It's tough because half will probably be adult meals or family style which he would be charged adult and the others kids. So if it's not a huge savings just do ddp? Although I agree with others about the wasted horrible qs desserts. I wish the kids weren't cut of at age 9. I feel like an 9 year old doesn't turn into an adult by 10! Disney should have a junior rate till 11 or 12 years old. Example kids $18, juniors $35, and adults $55. Good idea, keep dreaming!!:cheer2:

That would be a great deal!! My DS9 is just not going to eat adult meals like me.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter