• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

JUST BACK - NEW DDP changes in action (Photo added)

My problem with the DDP is the selection on the CS Kids Menus. Any restuarant usually has hot dogs, chicken nuggets, pasta, pizza or a hamburger but not Disney. The fact I have to research CS menus to find something my kids will eat in crazy, this is vacation. I booked ddp before the menus changed so I do feel "entitled".

I agree with that the CS meals for kids are lacking. However the menus have been like this for awhile. We've made 6 trips since 2002 and the counterservice kids menus haven't changed much.

It's the TS kids menus that have changed a lot since the DDP has been introduced.

So I'm not sure what you think you are "entitled" to.

Let me try to make this more concrete with an example: John and Jane have four credits. Scenario A (no rule): John and Jane share two meals as you suggest, ordering appetizers, entrees and desserts at each. They now have two extra credits, and can cover a third meal, which incidently they don't have to share, and as a result, since they're not big eaters, they only order one appetizer and one dessert. Scenario B (with rule): John and Jane aren't allowed to share, so they use up all four credit they have on just two meals instead of three, but because they're not big eaters, they only order one appetizer and one dessert eat each meal.

Scenario A = 3 appetizers, 4 entrees, 3 desserts.
Scenario B = 2 appetizers, 4 entrees, 2 desserts.

OK, I understand your point, but one last time, just for clarification:

John and Jane are on the dining plan. In your scenarios, if they order everything they are "entitled" to, they would be ordering four appetizers, four entrees, and four desserts overall, which many people do. So in either of your two scenarios, they haven't used everything they are entitled to (by their choice, not by Disney's rules). And neither of those scenarios addresses the fact that they may be saving that "extra" credit to use at a Signature restaurant, which actually dilutes the number of meals the guest receives. I think that's the most confusing - trying to figure out a way to work in the Signature dining and still eat the other days, according to the plan.

I still think a reasonable cash premium, instead of two credits, would make it less confusing all the way around. Or maybe a special credit "add on" where you can buy a certain number of "extra" credits for the premium dining experiences (totally separate from the basic credits). I'm sure, with the new policies they have already put in place, they will continue to tweak the program so that it makes better sense, both from the guest's point of view and Disney's.

You know, I read this a couple of times before something really sunk in. I think maybe some of us -- generationally or culturally -- have a real problem with wasting food. And for others, it doesn't bother them. :scratchin I dunno, just a thought.

Why is it that some people have such a problem with wasting food in particular? I mean, isn't it the same as wasting any other resource? Wasting $5 of food is the same as wasting $5 of anything else. It is not like there is a food shortage in the U.S.

Why is it that some people have such a problem with wasting food in particular? I mean, isn't it the same as wasting any other resource? Wasting $5 of food is the same as wasting $5 of anything else. It is not like there is a food shortage in the U.S.

Wow, I'm not sure how to answer this without going completely off topic for this thread, so I won't even try :rotfl2:

I booked ddp before the menus changed so I do feel "entitled".
Disney has never published menus to guests at home. Beyond that, the Dining Plan brochure explains that all aspects of the plan are subject to change without notice. There truly is no foundation for any entitlement based on the content of menus.

John and Jane are on the dining plan. In your scenarios, if they order everything they are "entitled" to...
Sometimes they don't. Again, I need to refer you to what I said earlier: I believe your confusion stems from the fact that you're only considering one of many possible scenarios that allowing sharing of meals supports. There are many other ways you could use credits "saved up" from sharing of meals.

I'm sorry, there just is no other way to explain it better.

So in either of your two scenarios, they haven't used everything they are entitled to (by their choice, not by Disney's rules).
Which is typical, but note how in my scenario, one of the possible scenarios, the application of one extra rule actually brought about more non-use. So, you can see, that rules can have a significant impact.

I still think a reasonable cash premium, instead of two credits, would make it less confusing all the way around.
I disagree, but beyond that, it would almost surely have a negative impact on sales, because they can no longer say "eat anywhere, it's all included".

Or maybe a special credit "add on"
That would be more complicated.

I'm sure, with the new policies they have already put in place, they will continue to tweak the program so that it makes better sense, both from the guest's point of view and Disney's.
Continually.

:thumbsup2 Absolutely correct. This is often a reaction programmed into children by their parent, but in reality has no relevance in today's society. If anything, ordering as little as you can figure you can get away with is anti-American farmer. Each year tons upon tons of food is left in the field to rot, because there is more food than there is demand for the food. And what's more, technically, incremental amounts of food that aren't going to be eaten have no value, so when you leave food on the plate, you're not only doing the right thing to fight today's obesity epidemic, but you're also not wasting anything of value.

Since most 8 year olds couldn't finish an adult meal, even if they prefer the adult choices, many people do share their adult meal with their kids, and use their child credits for a child meal at another time, perhaps at breakfast, where there is less difference in the type of meals offered.

Both my 5 year old and my 8 year old eat the Adult CS meals (incl dessert) with no problem (and they are skinny! They have high metabolisms and a child's meal doesn't fill them up.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter