Join us in celebrating our 25th Anniversary...DeLuxe Style! SURPRISE FINALE

Which of these Signature Restaurants is better?

• Flying Fish Cafe

• Yachtsman Steakhouse

Results are only viewable after voting.
yay! you got my vote for yachtsman! in our trips, they have consistantly been a winner for us! i get the filet, and df gets the porterhouse, combined with soup/salad and a yachtsman sundae... it will be a favorite for years to come!! luckily--i get to go here in march, may and november this year! we'll be sure to ask for oscar!!

yay! you got my vote for yachtsman! in our trips, they have consistantly been a winner for us! i get the filet, and df gets the porterhouse, combined with soup/salad and a yachtsman sundae... it will be a favorite for years to come!! luckily--i get to go here in march, may and november this year! we'll be sure to ask for oscar!!

Deena, I am so jealous! Sadly, we didn't discover Yachtsman until this last trip. We have even stayed at the Yacht Club Resort a few times and have walked right past YSH. :guilty: It will probably be one or two years before our next Disney trip, and so it will be a long time before we get to return to Yachtsman. :sad1: I can't wait to take DS there, as he is the biggest steak lover of the family. Anyway, until then, I will be living (or eating ;)) vicariously through you and the other YSH fans here on the boards. :thumbsup2

Oh, and just a reminder that less than 4 hours remain to vote in the current poll of Yachtsman vs. Flying Fish. So if you haven't already voted, please do so now. :thumbsup2 Later today I will be announcing the winner of Round 2 and then (assuming that the poll results don't change in the next 4 hours) move on to Round 3, the tie-breaking round. So maybe check-in later after the Super Bowl for the final results of the YSH vs. FF competition. :happytv:

Welcome back to Part II of the first episode of the WWD Signature Smackdown (Preliminary Round). As you recall from Part I of this episode, Yachtsman Steakhouse had dealt a decisive blow to Flying Fish Café in Round 1 of their competition. It was then left up to the DIS audience as to whether Flying Fish would remain down for the count and therefore out of the competition.

Then in Round II, we discovered that FF has many fans present here in the audience and they rallied to revive their beloved restaurant. :lovestruc And so the Round II poll is now closed and the results are in. By a vote of 17 to 8, the audience favorite and Winner of Round II is…

3216716918_8fbcdfec261.jpg

So with each of these two worthy opponents winning one round of the competition, we are in need of a tie-breaking round.

ROUND III

This round will again be based on the dining experience of the show’s creator, but this time will focus on only four aspects of the meal…Appetizers, Entrées (including sides), Desserts, and Service.

Okay, so we will first compare the Appetizers…

IMG_3917.jpg

Flying Fish Cafe's Signature Crispy Maine Coast Jonah Crab Cake with vegetable slaw, roasted red pepper coulis, and ancho chile remoulade

IMG_3974.jpg

Yachtsman Steakhouse's Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail served with fresh lemon and cocktail sauce

I’m going to give this one to Flying Fish as the crab cakes were delicious, probably the best I have ever had. :thumbsup2

Next we will compare the Entrees (including sides)…

IMG_3918.jpg

Flying Fish Cafe's Signature Char-crusted Certified Black Angus New York Strip Steak served with Heirloom beans, roasted parsnips, celery root, rainbow carrots, fingerling potatoes, and a classic sauce foyot

IMG_3977.jpg

Yachtsman Steakhouse's Filet Mignon with red wine sauce and served with mashed potatoes

This one definitely goes to Yachtsman, as they not only had the better steak but their side dish of mashed potatoes totally blew away the fingerling potatoes served at Flying Fish.

Then comes the Dessert comparison…

IMG_3925.jpg

Flying Fish Cafe's Signature Caramelized Banana Napoleon - phyllo, banana mousse, creme caramel, exotic fruit coulis and bitter chocolate

IMG_3982.jpg

Yachtsman Steakhouse's Creme Brulee with fresh berries and rolled chocolate

Although Flying Fish’s signature dessert looked quite good, we were disappointed with it overall. Therefore, this one goes to Yachtsman Steakhouse.

And finally we will compare the Service at these two Signature restaurants. Although the service was good at both, I would have to say that Flying Fish would come in third (behind California Grill and Artist Point) if I had to rate the service we received at all six of our Signature meals. So, this one goes to Flying Fish Café.

With each restaurant having two wins in Round III, the tie-breaking round ends in a tie. :confused3 So since it seems that both of these restaurants are equally worthy, I will solve this dilemma by allowing both Yachtsman Steakhouse and Flying Fish Café to proceed to the Semi-Final Round of the WWD Signature Smackdown. :thumbsup2

Please stay tuned for the next episode, where two out of the four remaining Signature restaurants (Artist Point, California Grill, Narcoossee’s, and Citricos) will compete in a Preliminary Round to determine which will join Yachtsman and Flying Fish in the Semi-Finals. :happytv:

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the second episode of the WWD Signature Smackdown! :wave2:

Our first contestant this evening is located at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Following the National Park Lodges of the Pacific-Northwest theme of the resort, this restaurant features dishes from Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia, including game dishes such as venison and buffalo. Though menu options change seasonally, the restaurant's signature dish is cedar plank-roasted salmon. Favorite desserts include warm berry cobbler and seasonal sorbets. The rustically elegant furnishings of this restaurant provide a warm and inviting atmosphere. Hand-painted murals and paintings of the Pacific Northwestern scenery adorn the walls and ceiling, and ornate iron lanterns hang from the large timber columns of the dining room. As an added bonus, the restaurant’s two-story windows provide a good view of the resort’s Silver Creek Falls, beautiful rocky landscaping, and Fire Rock geyser. Ladies and gentlemen of the DIS, please give it up for…

artist-point1.jpg

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Our challenger is located at Disney’s flagship resort, the Grand Floridian. However, this seafood restaurant is not in the main building of the resort, like the other Grand Floridian restaurants. Instead it sits on the shores of the Seven Seas Lagoon in its own Victorian-style octagon shaped pavilion. Although its Victorian-style on the outside, this restaurant’s interior décor is airy and contemporary, with hardwood floors, high ceilings and a wall of windows overlooking Seven Seas Lagoon. And of course, the best part is that right across the lagoon lies the Magic Kingdom and Cinderella’s beautiful castle. If you time your meal here correctly, the private deck of this restaurant offers a spectacular view of the Wishes fireworks show held every night at Magic Kingdom (weather permitting, times vary). As for the food, this is one of the few restaurants at Disney World which offers Whole Maine Lobster (even on the Dining Plan), in addition to its many other seafood specialties like Crispy Whole Snapper and Ahi Tuna. But be sure to save room for their delicious Signature dessert, the almond-crusted cheesecake with Lambert cherry sauce. Ladies and gentlemen, please give a warm DIS welcome to…

images11.jpg

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

ROUND I (based on their performance in the YUMMY Awards)

Narcoossee’s had a very respectable showing at the YUMMY Awards, garnering 4 nominations and 1 win. Here’s a quick review…

Their Shrimp and Crab Chowder was nominated and won the award for MOST “SOUP” ERIOR PERFORMANCE by a SOUP.

IMG_4023.jpg

Their Wishes fireworks view was nominated for BEST VISUAL EFFECTS.

Wishes20in20Disneys20Magic20Kingdom20from20our20balcony20at20Disneys20Grand20Floridian20Hotel20Orlando20-200611072012_edited-11.jpg

They were nominated for BEST PRODUCER of an ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION for their Confetti Decorate Table, Anniversary Menus, Decorating our Desserts, and Complimentary Glasses of Sparkling Wine.

IMG_4027.jpg

And finally, last but not least, their Almond-crusted Cheesecake was nominated for BEST PERFORMANCE by a DESSERT.

IMG_4026.jpg

However, Artist Point had an even better performance with 5 Yummy nominations and 3 wins. Here is a quick review of these…

They were nominated and won the award for BEST SOUND EDITING (aka Quietest).

They were also nominated and won the award for BEST PRODUCER of an ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION with their Personalized Anniversary menus, Complimentary Glasses of Dessert Wine for 3 of us, and Lighted Candles on our Dessert.

IMG_3948.jpg

A third nomination and win was received for BEST LEAD ENTRÉE for their Cedar Plank-roasted King Salmon.

IMG_3945.jpg

Their Smokey Portobello Soup was also nominated for MOST “SOUP” ERIOR PERFORMANCE by a SOUP.

IMG_3937.jpg

And finally, our server Diana was nominated for the BEST DIRECTOR award.

So the clear winner of Round I is…

artist-point1.jpg

:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

Okay, now I will turn it over to all of you to determine if Narcoossee’s will be the first restaurant to be eliminated from the Signature Smackdown competition. So stay tuned for Round II, coming very, very soon. :happytv:

ROUND II - Audience Participation Round

Okay, now it's time to vote for either Artist Point or Narcoossee's, whichever you think is the better restaurant. I wasn't able to add a second poll to this thread or remove the previous poll so that I could post this one. Therefore, I have posted a poll on the main page of the Restaurants boards. Please add your vote to this poll there and also post any comments (cheers or jeers) here regarding these two restaurants. And pictures are welcome too. ;)

I'm going to try to post a link to the poll. I hope it works.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2654188

NOTE: Winner of Round II will be announced one week from today, on Feb. 16th.

These comments were posted on my poll thread:

We haven't yet eaten at Artist Pointe but plan to!

Narcoossee's was super yummy. I had the whole Maine Lobster (tasted nice and fresh) and my sister had the filet mignon which was also excellent.

Voted for narcoossees.

We went on the rainiest, coldest most miserable night in February but you couldn't beat watching wishes and the food was pretty good too.

Artist Point Is consistently underrated on the boards. It is our must do every trip. We have gone as a couple, as a family and as a group and always had good service. As with any restaurant, if you go 10 times things change; menu items, service, waitstaff. But this place has remained consistent over time. Nice wine list and nice lounge for before or after dinner drink(or both).

I wanted to add your opinions to this thread also. Thanks again for voting and adding your comments! :)

I voted for Artist Point.

I have eaten at both and several times at Narcoosees. The food at Narcoosees is very good and you can see the fireworks at the MK, but the last 2 times I have eaten there, the service was terrible.

The food at Artist Point is wonderful and the service is outstanding.

If you are looking for food and views, Narcoosees, but if you want food and great service, I would go for Artist Point.

Never done Narcoossee's but thumbs up for AP. Fabulous service, great food, great atmosphere. What's not to love? :confused3

Just adding a couple more comments posted on the poll thread.

Here are a couple of comments in favor of Narcoossee's:

We plan on doing Artist Point on our next trip, can't wait. We did Narcoossee's last time and plan on returning every trip. There was not one negative about the whole experience. The food, service, atmosphere, view, just everything about the whole place was exceptional. My husband (not a foodie, nor does he like to eat out) raved about this place, something he never does. He also said that is one place he definately wants to visit again.

I voted for Narcoossee's. Each time we have eaten there the food and service have been wonderful!

Been to both multiple times, like both, but much prefer Artist Point. We love their mushroom soup, mussels, buffalo, and berry cobbler. Their wine flat is wonderful too. Narcoosee is just OK. It's a great deal to get steak and lobster if you are on the DDP and I love their almond cheesecake. They'd still rank well below Artist point though.

Not on your poll, but my favorite Signature is Flying Fish though.:cloud9::lovestruc

It's definitely a tough choice, but I went with Narcoossees.
Artist Point is wonderful, but I do not eat much meat and Narcoossees has more seafood options.:tongue:

Plus - standing out on Narcoossees porch is THE BEST viewing spot for Wishes IMO! I LOVE that the music is piped in, with the speakers right over your head. :cloud9:

Two more differing opinions.

Welcome back to Part II of the second episode of the WWD Signature Smackdown (Preliminary Round). As you might recall from Part I, Artist Point had soundly defeated its opponent, Narcoossee’s, in Round I of their competition. It was then left up to the DIS audience as to whether Narcoossee’s would remain down for the count and therefore out of the competition.

In Round II, we discovered that although Narcoossee’s had many fans in the audience, their fans were outnumbered by those of Artist Point. With the poll now closed, I can officially declare a winner.

By a vote of 54 to 37, the audience favorite and Winner of Round II is….

artist-point1.jpg

And so… sorry Narcoossee’s, but you’ve been SMACKED DOWN!!!

images11.jpg

:wave2::wave2::wave2::wave2::wave2::wave2::wave2:

Stay tuned for Episode 3 of the WWD Signature Smackdown, which will feature two audience favorites. :thumbsup2

Ladies and gentlemen of the DIS, welcome to the third and final episode of the preliminary round of the WWD Signature Smackdown. Tonight’s episode should prove to be very interesting; as we have two very popular restaurants competing for the one last spot remaining in the semi-final round of the competition. So without further ado…

Let’s Get Ready to Rumble!!! :cool1:

Our first contestant can be found in a second floor alcove of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort, adjacent to Disney’s premier dining establishment, Victoria & Albert’s. This signature restaurant, whose name means citrus in Spanish, has a large, open dining room with Mediterranean-style décor that includes wrought-iron accents, mosaic tile floors, swirling patterned carpet, and large windows that overlook the resort’s beautiful courtyard and one of its pools. Being decorated with shades of brown, yellow, orange, and cream, gives this restaurant a warm feeling, despite its large size. You may recognize some similarities to the décor of California Grill and Flying Fish, as all three restaurants were designed by the same designers, the Martin Dorf firm. One thing that this restaurant has in common with the others is that it has a show kitchen. From this kitchen the chef prepares American dishes with a strong Mediterranean influence—such as oak-fired grilled steaks, risotto, pastas, and seafood. Their signature entrée is a Braised Veal Shank that is slow-roasted for six hours, until it so tender that the meat can be flaked from the bone with a fork. As for dessert, it is hard to resist their Warm Chocolate-Banana Torte with Vanilla Ice Cream and Handcrafted Belgium Couverture Chocolate Crown. Need I say more?

Ok, so let’s give a warm DIS welcome to one of your favorites….

imagesCA31D0DY.jpg

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Our challenger sits at the top of Disney’s Contemporary Resort. With its 15th floor location this restaurant offers panoramic views of the Magic Kingdom, the Seven Seas Lagoon, and the surrounding area from its wall of floor-to-ceiling windows. As an added bonus, with a little planning and timing, guests can watch the nightly fireworks bursting over Cinderella's Castle from inside the restaurant or from its observation deck. The contemporary interior of this restaurant incorporates Art Deco elements (curved pearwood walls, vivid splashes of color, polished black granite surfaces) with a vibrant, upbeat atmosphere, but the central focus is an exhibition kitchen with seven stations, including a wood-burning oven and rotisserie and a sushi bar. This brings us to the food, which is as spectacular as the views! Their eclectic menu features a wide variety of sushi, as well as brick oven-baked flat breads, handmade Sonoma goat cheese ravioli, oak-fired filet of beef with Teriyaki barbeque sauce, and oak-fired pork tenderloin. And for dessert, there is Valrhona chocolate cake; warm chocolate cake with a molten center and house-made ice cream.

Ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for another DIS favorite…

contemporary2-0141-1.jpg

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

ROUND I (based on the YUMMY AWARDS)

Citricos had a disappointing performance in the YUMMY AWARDS, receiving only two nominations and winning no awards.

Their Kalamata Olive Bread was nominated for BEST SUPPORTING “ROLL” (or Bread or Chips). (Sorry, no pic)

And their Sauteed Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese was nominated for BEST INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE by an APPETIZER at a DISNEY MEAL.

IMG_4051.jpg

On the other hand, California Grill had an outstanding performance at the YUMMY AWARDS, receiving 8 nominations and 4 wins!

Here is a quick review:

Their Triple Cheese Flatbread was nominated and won the award for BEST INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE by an APPETIZER.

IMG_4013.jpg

Their Filet of Beef was nominated for SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD for a STEAK WELL DONE (or in this case... Medium Well).

IMG_4016.jpg

They were a surprise nominee (mostly to reward their improvement) for BEST SOUND EDITING (aka Quietest).

They were nominated and won the award for BEST VISUAL EFFECTS for their spectacular fireworks view.

They were nominated for BEST PRODUCER OF AN ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION for their Confetti Decorated Table, Decorating our Dessert, and a Complimentary Slice of Decorated Chocolate Cake to go.

IMG_4029.jpg

Their Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Goat Cheese Polenta, Roasted Mushrooms, Zinfandel Glaze, and Sage was nominated for BEST LEAD ENTRÉE.

IMG_4014.jpg

Their Valrhona Chocolate Cake- Warm Chocolate Cake with Molten Center, Marshmallow, and Peanut Butter Gelato was nominated and won the award for BEST PERFORMANCE BY A DESSERT.

IMG_4017.jpg

And last, but certainly not least, DAWN of CALIFORNIA GRILL was nominated and won the award for BEST DIRECTOR OF A DISNEY MEAL because of her (Above and Beyond Signature Quality) EXCELLENT SERVICE.

So as you can see, California Grill dominated at the YUMMY AWARDS. I therefore must declare the winner of Round I to be…

contemporary2-0141.jpg

Don't touch that dial because Round II (The Audience Participation Round) will be posted very soon! :happytv:

ROUND II -The Audience Participation Round

Okay, now it’s time for your voices to be heard. Will Citrico’s remain down for the count or will it return to compete in a tie-breaking Round III?

It’s for you to decide. :confused3

Here is the link to the poll...CA Grill vs. Citricos, which do you think is better?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2659405

Oh, and don't forget to post your cheers here for your favorite or jeers for your least favorite. All comments and pictures are welcomed. :thumbsup2

:cheer2: California Grill :cheer2:

We will be eating there AGAIN on June 27th...yum-mo!

We've been to Ca Grill several times and have always loved it. I can't give an opinion on Citrico's yet since I haven't been there yet. However, we're trying to decide between Citrico's and Flying Fish for our upcoming September vacation, so I'm anxious to see what others think of Citrico's myself.

Seriously... loved both. Look at the menu and take your pick.... California Grill has a high up view of MK, and has sushi that I like and I really enjoy the seafood entrees there. Citricos is more formal and a really great presentation of the food, and the Grand Floridian is great to visit... we enjoy the orchestra in the lobby and the new character floor tile - a work of art. Read more about California Grill in my review below. Went to Citricos in 2009 - was great.

We ate at both in the same week, and I'm giving the edge to Citricos. Neither meal was bad, but Citricos was better, and we liked the atmosphere more.

Cali Grill has always been a wonderful experience for us. Citiricos did not meet that expectation - the service and timing of the food was not good. We go to Cali Grill usually every trip.

We need to try Citricos again.

Three for California Grill, one for Citricos, and one tie. :confused3 :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter