Join us in celebrating our 25th Anniversary...DeLuxe Style! SURPRISE FINALE

Which of these Signature Restaurants is better?

• Flying Fish Cafe

• Yachtsman Steakhouse

Results are only viewable after voting.
Three more comments to add, 2 for Citricos and 1 for California Grill.

Used to be CG but last few years just not the same, we still go but we have enjoyed Citricos more. Also, really enjoy Flying Fish and Bluezoo.

Been to both - View may be better at CG but I liked the food and service better at Citrico's. Probably the most enjoyable meal I have ever had.

We've been to Citrico's four times, and it's had a 50% success rate. Twice incredible, twice just so-so. The last time was so underwhelming, we've decided not to go back for a while. We've been to Cali Grill three times, it has a 100% success rate. Great every time. If we stay at BLT the next trip, we're going to go twice.

Two more for California Grill and two for Citricos.

We love the California Grill!!! Just made our reservations for May 27th!

Have been to both several times, my vote goes to Citrico's. For us the service and food has always been amazing.

My voteis for CG, but I've never eaten at Citricos. CG was one of the best meals of my life, and I am a foodie. Our waits was spectacular!

The view at California Grill is superior to Citricos but the food at Citricos had us raving. IMO the desserts were much better at Citricos.

If only Citricos has sushi for my DH and DD we'd probably never go back to California Grill.

You arent the first person to mention the special decorations for your celebration at disney meals. How do you get that? We'll be traveling to WDW in Sept for my 30th and taking my kids for their first trip. Will my birthday some how be noted in my reservation even if we book through DVC? Or do I need to tell them directly when making a reservation? If the hotel knows and they make our reservations is it then past along?

Thanks for the help!:thumbsup2

I made all of my dining reservations online and noted our anniversary celebration. There is a place to do this on the online reservation screen, where it says "Add a Celebration". If you are making your dining reservations over the phone, then you need to tell them so they will note it on your reservation.

I should note though that you are not able to request that a restaurant do something special for your celebration...i.e. decorating your table with Mickey confetti. This is entirely up to the discretion of the restaurant and is highly variable. All you can do is note that you are celebrating a special occasion on your dining reservation and hope for some magical pixie dust. :wizard:

One more thing to add, you can order a personalized made-to-order birthday cake at many of the restaurants ahead of time. I think some restaurants also have a small, standard birthday cake available for purchase at the time of your meal.

Hope this helps!

I agree--California grill has the view( and better appetizers) but overall Citrico's is the better restaurant.

We have only done Cali Grill and more times than I can actually remember but I do know this I have never had a bad meal only great meals there. You won't be disappointed..Cali Grill all the way...

have eaten at both. Our impression of the CG was pretentious presentation of very small servings of fairly mediocre food...seems like at CG you're paying for the view mostly. It was extremely loud & crowded (numerous noisy infants around. It's Disney, yes, but still!) And we didn't even actually get to enjoy the view since they had the blinds down (5:30 dinner time in the summer, so sun was still up.) Apparently enough people complained about paying for the view and not getting it that they finally raised the blinds about 10"...so if you slouched in your chair to about table height you could see the Magic Kingdom. Whoop tee doo.

Citricos was also noisy (at 9:00 PM there was still a lot of very small children in there, some very definitely well past their bedtime. Again, I know it's Disney, but still!) Anyway, noise aside, the tables did not seem to be quite as close together, and the food was far superior, as was the service. Definitely felt we were getting signature quality & quantity here.

Three more opinions...two in favor of Citricos and one for California Grill.

Welcome back to Part II of the third episode of the WWD Signature Smackdown (Preliminary Round). As you might recall from Part I, California Grill had soundly defeated its opponent, Citricos, in Round I of their competition. It was then left up to the DIS audience to decide whether Citricos would remain down for the count and therefore out of the competition.

In Round II, we discovered that although Citricos has many, many fans here on the DIS, they were unable to revive their beloved restaurant.

By a vote of 28 to 24, the audience favorite and Winner of Round II is….

contemporary2-0141-1.jpg

And so… sorry Citricos, but you’ve been SMACKED DOWN!!!

imagesCA31D0DY.jpg

:wave2::wave2::wave2::wave2::wave2::wave2::wave2:

Hello everyone! It’s now time to start the Semi-Final Round of the WWD Signature Smackdown. Four great Signature restaurants remain in the competition… Flying Fish Café, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Artist Point, and California Grill.

The first two of these to compete in the Semi-Final Round are Flying Fish Café and Artist Point.

ROUND I

As you may recall from the YUMMY AWARDS, Our first contender, Flying Fish Café, received 3 YUMMY nominations…

Highlighted by their Crispy Maine Coast Jonah Crab Cake, which was nominated for BEST PERFORMANCE by an APPETIZER.

IMG_3917.jpg

However, Artist Point had an even better performance with 5 Yummy nominations and 3 wins…

Highlighted by their nomination and win in the BEST LEAD ENTRÉE category for their Cedar Plank-roasted King Salmon.

IMG_3945.jpg

And so I must declare the winner of ROUND I of this competition to be…

artist-point1.jpg

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Okay, now I will turn it over to all of you to determine if Flying Fish will be eliminated from the Signature Smackdown competition or return for a tie-breaking round. So stay tuned for Round II, coming to your computers very, very soon. :surfweb:

ROUND II -The Audience Participation Round

Okay, now it’s time for your voices to be heard. Will Flying Fish Cafe remain down for the count or will it return to compete in a tie-breaking Round III?

It’s for you to decide. :confused:

Here is the link to the poll...Flying Fish Cafe vs. Artist Point, which do you think is better?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2664426

We have eaten at both and had good experiences at both. I think the food is a little better at FF, but the atmosphere is better at AP. I voted for FF.

thoughts exactly.

These may very well be my favorite restaurants at Disney. Like the wine list at AP more. Both get much less respect on the boards than they should, IMHO. With consistency over time, these two have shown to be better tan most.

Food is better at AP,it's quieter,there is more room between tables,the servers better knowledgeable about food,atmosphereis less rushed.
Like both but FF just doesn't add up.

Four comments regarding Flying Fish and Artist Point, split pretty evenly between these two great restaurants.

Two more for Flying Fish!

Artist Point had maybe the best dish -- a side -- that I've ever had at WDW, the adult mac and cheese. Incredible. Overall, though, Flyish Fish has a much better rounded food quality. Between the two, AP is a maybe on our next trip. FF is an absolute MUST.

oooh, you picked my two favorite Signatures. Tough choice but I'd probably have to go with Flying Fish. I love their mussels, tomato mozzarella salad, or cheese plate for an appetizer, their char crusted steak or scallops for an entree, and whichever of their dessert trios they are offering that night for dessert. At Artist Point I love their mushroom soup or mussels for an appetizer and their buffalo for an entree (but wasn't happy when they changed the sides that came with the buffalo). Since they changed their berry cobbler a few years ago, I haven't been that fond of any of their desserts.

Four more comments...two for Artist Point and two for Flying Fish.

We've never eaten at Flying Fish, but Artist Point was amazing :thumbsup2.

I have eaten at both several times and never had a bad experience at either location. In fact, they both would make my top 5 places to get an ADR.

I do prefer AP a bit more, but really I am always happy at either locations.

Flying Fish is near the top of my "Disney operated" Signature restaurants.
Artist Point is near the bottom.
FF has excellent seafood and a good steak.. We always eat at the bar, or once in awhile at the Chefs counter. AP has neither option--and the menu has never held much appeal.

Totally agree {with Uncleromulus}. Hard to believe their in a same Disney rating level, which makes you question the integrity of the signature designation..especially with LCC getting the designation on what appears to be ADR demand then the restaurant and it's offerings.

These two great restaurants are running neck and neck in my poll, which btw closes tonight (so if you haven't already voted, please do so now :thumbsup2).

Here are five more comments posted on the poll thread (two for each restaurant and one tie :confused3):

Hi jabead,

For us it has to be Artist Point, last time we were there, November 2010 I had the grilled Buffalo, it just melted in my mouth.

The only draw back on that occasion was the air conditioning, it was on the cold side and my DW had to ask for a blanket. Has anyone else found it cold there?

Had to be flying fish my favourite restaurant (so far!!).

Sorry I missed the last poll my internet was off for a week:sad1::sad1:
Missed my disney fix and of course the food reviews!!

While I love the Boardwalk and the Flying Fish, I also love Artist Point. Completely different atmosphere and food.

Flying Fish by a mile.

Easy answer: neither is better. Both are very good dining experiences and you will be happy with which ever one you pick. We prefer AP for its very different menu (where else can you get buffalo?) and the wonderful theme-ing of WL.

Wow these two are both in my top five but FF is my #1 overall. Never a bad meal or experience and we make this a MUST DO every trip. AP is very good and the food is great, it is a very quite experience. We love FF and hanging out on the Boardwalk afterwards or enjoying a nice stroll over to Epcot.

You really can't go wrong with either choice!

We love the potato wrapped snapper at the FF.

It's interesting to compare these two, as Artist Point seemed to really hit its stride when Keith Gimbel was the general manager, and he's since moved to the Flying Fish.

I've only been to Artist Point once, and certainly wasn't disappointed. The buffalo short rib I had was good, if not overly memorable. The room is certainly impressive, and, since my house is decorated the same way (at least the part which I can afford so far), I was ready to pry some of those Craftsman-style light fixtures right off the walls.

I make no secret of my shameless shilling for the Flying Fish. Every meal I've had there has been at least excellent, with two ranking in the ten best I've had in my life (and I have eaten in Michelin-starred restaurants in New York and Las Vegas). To be fair, only about one time in six do I eat from the regular menu. The mussels first course in staggeringly good, and the servers know by now to bring me a soup spoon and a loaf of bread as there's no way that pool of pesto crema is going into the dishwasher. Steak is something I very rarely order in restaurants, but the Flying Fish's char-crusted steak is exceptional in both quality of meat and preparation.

So, for me, Flying Fish in a walk.

flying fish hands down. better food imo than artist point and we have had great service there every time. both have a nice atmosphere and i'd say look at the menus between the two and see what's more to your liking if you're trying to pick between them but we LOVE flying fish.

Four more comments...all in favor of Flying Fish.

Welcome back to Part II of the fourth episode of the WWD Signature Smackdown (Semi-Final Round). As you might recall from Part I, Artist Point had soundly defeated its opponent, Flying Fish Cafe, in Round I of their competition. It was then left up to the DIS audience to decide whether Flying Fish would remain down for the count and therefore out of the competition.

In Round II, the many fans of Flying Fish Cafe came to its defense.

By a vote of 29 to 23, the audience favorite and Winner of Round II is….

3216716918_8fbcdfec261.jpg

With each of these restaurants winning one round we must have a tie-breaking Round III to determine the overall winner. So please tune back in tomorrow to find out which of these two great restaurants will go on to the Final Round of the Signature Smackdown competition.

ROUND III

This round will again be based on the dining experience of the show’s creator, but this time will focus on only four aspects of the meal…Appetizers, Entrées (including sides), Desserts, and Service.

Okay, so we will first compare the Appetizers…

IMG_3917.jpg

Flying Fish Cafe's Signature Crispy Maine Coast Jonah Crab Cake with vegetable slaw, roasted red pepper coulis, and ancho chile remoulade

IMG_3937.jpg

Artist Point's Smokey Portobello Soup

I’m going to give this one to Flying Fish as the crab cakes were delicious, probably the best I have ever had. :thumbsup2

Next we will compare the Entrees (including sides)…

IMG_3918.jpg

Flying Fish Cafe's Signature Char-crusted Certified Black Angus New York Strip Steak served with Heirloom beans, roasted parsnips, celery root, rainbow carrots, fingerling potatoes, and a classic sauce foyot

IMG_3945.jpg

Artist Point's Cedar Plank-roasted King Salmon with Roasted Baby Fennel, Marble Potatoes, Pinot Noir Beurre Rouge, and Crispy Truffle Chips

This one definitely goes to Artist Point, as the steak at Flying Fish was good but not great.

Then comes the Dessert comparison…

IMG_3925.jpg

Flying Fish Cafe's Signature Caramelized Banana Napoleon - phyllo, banana mousse, creme caramel, exotic fruit coulis and bitter chocolate

IMG_3948.jpg

Artist Point's Berry Cobbler with seasonal berries and housemade vanilla ice cream

Both of these were the signature desserts of the restaurants and as such were somewhat disappointing. If I had to choose one, I guess it would be Flying Fish for the Banana Napoleon.

And finally we will compare the Service we received at these two Signature restaurants. Although the service was good at Flying Fish, it was even better at Artist Point.

With each restaurant having two wins in Round III, the tie-breaking round ends in a tie. :confused3 So in this case I will defer to the opinion of the majority of the audience.

Therefore, proceeding to the FINAL ROUND of the SIGNATURE SMACKDOWN will be...

3216716918_8fbcdfec261.jpg

And so we must say goodbye to ARTIST POINT... 'cause you've been SMACKED DOWN!

artist-point1.jpg

:wave2::wave2::wave2::wave2::wave2::wave2::wave2:

Please stay tuned for the next episode, where California Grill and Yachtsman Steakhouse will be competing for the final spot in the FINALS of the WWD SIGNATURE SMACKDOWN. :happytv:

Hello everyone! It’s time now for the second contest of the Semi-Final Round of the WWD Signature Smackdown.

Competing today will be Yachtsman Steakhouse and California Grill.

ROUND I

As you may recall from the YUMMY AWARDS, our first contender, Yachtsman Steakhouse, performed remarkably well, receiving 8 YUMMY nominations and winning 3 Awards …

Highlighted by their Steaks, which were both nominated and won the SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS for a STEAK WELL DONE and were also both nominated for BEST LEAD ENTREE.

IMG_3977.jpg

Filet Mignon

IMG_3976.jpg

New York Strip

However, California Grill had an even better performance, also receiving 8 Yummy nominations but with 4 wins…

Highlighted by their Triple Cheese Flatbread, which was nominated and won the award for BEST INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE by an APPETIZER

IMG_4013.jpg

And their Valrhona Chocolate Cake, which was nominated and won the award for BEST PERFORMANCE BY A DESSERT.

IMG_4017.jpg

And so I must declare the winner of ROUND I of this competition to be…

contemporary2-0141-1.jpg

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Okay, now I will turn it over to all of you to determine if Yachtsman Steakhouse will be eliminated from the Signature Smackdown competition or return for a tie-breaking round. So stay tuned for Round II, coming to your computers very, very soon. :surfweb:

ROUND II -The Audience Participation Round

Okay, now it’s time for your voices to be heard. Will Yachtsman Steakhouse remain down for the count or will it return to compete in a tie-breaking Round III?

It’s for you to decide. :confused3

Here is the link to the poll...California Grill vs. Yachtsman, which do you think is better?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2666835

Oh, and don't forget to post your cheers here for your favorite or jeers for your least favorite. All comments and pictures are welcomed. :thumbsup2

Four comments so far...

Three in favor of Yachtsman Steakhouse.

We went to both of these place a few weeks ago and I enjoyed the food at Yachtsman so much better. Service was wonderful also. At Cali Grill the view was better, but very loud and we ended up with a very annoying waiter.

YSH is our choice. We've done both and found CG lacking in terms of service and quality of food. About the only thing that CG does have going for it is the view of the MK, especially if you are there for the fireworks.

But we are talking about dining here. We've always had great service at YSH and the steaks are cooked exactly to our specification. The lobster bisque is to die for - as are the onion rolls slathered with butter and roasted garlic!

Have never been to California Grill, but Yachtsman was amazing :thumbsup2.

And one for California Grill.

These are my 2 favorite Disney restaurants.....so hard to choose. I have to give California Grill the edge for the view of the castle.

Four more comments...

Two for Yachtsman Steakhouse.

If you just want a great view, go to the California Grill. If you want good food, go to the Yachtsman Steakhouse.

QFT! I was going to say the same thing. {as GeorgeG}

One for California Grill.

I prefer California Grill :)

And one for both??? :confused3

For view, atmosphere California grill. The Yachtsman's food is good maybe even better than California grill. Although if you like sushi then California grill wins on all levels.

Four more comments, all for Yachtsman.

Both are very good, but I thought the food was better at the YM.

The Food and Service at the Yachtsman were much better IMHO

We think CG is WAY overrated. YS is very good.:earsboy:

California Grill isn't what it used to be. Food and service used to be spot on - not so much anymore. It's a real shame. But if you want to go, I suggest making an early reservation (around 5:45) or going after fireworks (if at 9, do a 9:30).

Yachtsman gets some varied reviews too, but I've always had a good experience there. I'd give it a try!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter