January 2013 Discounts

Yeah, I was shocked, shocked, SHOCKED when she said that, but I LOL'ed. She was very casual about it. "I'm sure your sister would go to Disney if you asked her, just put her on the reservation. If it turns out something like her job or the kid's school or anything else gets in the way of this vacation she's taking but doesn't know about yet, simply replace her with another guest." LoL!

DeborahA said:
come one WDW lets get moving on those discounts for January.
Pleeeeaaaasssseeeeee.

What discount are you looking for. The SPD discount saved us $1793. We booked that discount before the price change. If FD comes out it would save us a couple hundred more. But I am happy for what we did get. It came out to almost free dining. It was $44.82 per person per day off of our original booking.

I don't understand all the people that are happy to be paying a higher price than someone else for the same thing. Disney is selling a commodity, but are charging different prices to different people with no apparent logical reason.

I don't understand all the people that are happy to be paying a higher price than someone else for the same thing. Disney is selling a commodity, but are charging different prices to different people with no apparent logical reason.

I don't understand? If I go on the website now and you go on the website now and we put in the same package using the same offer then we'd get the same price. The offers have restrictions just like any other offer from any other company. For example, buy e get 1 free or offer not valid on Saturday, etc. The only people who may get different prices are people who have a PIN code. Nobody really knows who gets PINs and when but I see that as a promotional strategy that WDW somehow. And that to me is also like belonging to a frequent flyer club and getting perks or discounts.

I don't understand? If I go on the website now and you go on the website now and we put in the same package using the same offer then we'd get the same price. The offers have restrictions just like any other offer from any other company. For example, buy e get 1 free or offer not valid on Saturday, etc. The only people who may get different prices are people who have a PIN code. Nobody really knows who gets PINs and when but I see that as a promotional strategy that WDW somehow. And that to me is also like belonging to a frequent flyer club and getting perks or discounts.

Disney does offer different special offers to people from different countries...... I believe I saw a post that said that UK residents have a free dining offer for WDW for Jan 2013 - March 2013. I believe it was free quick service for value and moderate resorts, and free regular dining for deluxe's.

Since we like table service meals we'd rather have the p/s/d offer, but it's still frustrating to see them offer it to the UK and not the USA.

Disney does offer different special offers to people from different countries...... I believe I saw a post that said that UK residents have a free dining offer for WDW for Jan 2013 - March 2013. I believe it was free quick service for value and moderate resorts, and free regular dining for deluxe's.

Since we like table service meals we'd rather have the p/s/d offer, but it's still frustrating to see them offer it to the UK and not the USA.

At least when the deals are offered by country we can understand who is included in that group and why. With pin codes it seems to be completely random. I know there must be some reasoning behind them, but from the outside it is impossible to tell what that is.

If two people book EXACTLY the same package they could have vastly different costs if one of the parties has a pin code. If you walked into a grocery store and someone was randomly handing out coupons for half off, but you don't get one, would you be happy? They could have a perfectly reasoned out rational of why some are chosen for the discount. If the consumer can't figure out what it is, though, we are not going to be pleased.

And your last analogy doesn't make much sense since members of frequent flyer clubs and loyalty clubs are typically the ones getting the discounts. The same could not be said to be true for Disney. Instead we have anecdotal evidence that it is exactly opposite.

If two people book EXACTLY the same package they could have vastly different costs if one of the parties has a pin code. If you walked into a grocery store and someone was randomly handing out coupons for half off, but you don't get one, would you be happy? They could have a perfectly reasoned out rational of why some are chosen for the discount. If the consumer can't figure out what it is, though, we are not going to be pleased.

And your last analogy doesn't make much sense since members of frequent flyer clubs and loyalty clubs are typically the ones getting the discounts. The same could not be said to be true for Disney. Instead we have anecdotal evidence that it is exactly opposite.

I agree, most companies reward their frequently returning customers with rewards or incentives of some sort, but the pins do not seem to be sent out that way. The only two pins I've ever received were through snail mail and for my Dad and Sister for Disneyland, both of whom I had used my annual pass to book discounted rooms for. My family (husband and 2 kids) have been going to both Disneyland and WDW quite regularly since 2000, with most of the last 5 years spent at WDW, and have never received a pin for either park. :confused3

I agree, most companies reward their frequently returning customers with rewards or incentives of some sort, but the pins do not seem to be sent out that way. The only two pins I've ever received were through snail mail and for my Dad and Sister for Disneyland, both of whom I had used my annual pass to book discounted rooms for. My family (husband and 2 kids) have been going to both Disneyland and WDW quite regularly since 2000, with most of the last 5 years spent at WDW, and have never received a pin for either park. :confused3

What about a bounce back offer? I am not familiar with them but have seen posts where people mention getting them. Is that like an incentive for frequently returning customers?

What about a bounce back offer? I am not familiar with them but have seen posts where people mention getting them. Is that like an incentive for frequently returning customers?

Yes it can be, but it is available to anyone staying there whether it's their first trip or their 20th trip, so it's not necessary to be a frequently returning customer to receive it, and they're not always offered. I think I've only seen a bounce back offer twice when we've been there. Once was our very first trip and we didn't know if we'd want to go back since we're from the west coast and Disneyland is so much closer, and maybe one other time when the offer was for a time we couldn't travel, so it didn't do us any good.

The PIN codes are not drastically different. I saved $72 with my PIN versus the GP offer. And I'm not saying that PINs go to frequent visitors but you're more likely to randomly get one if you do something Disney - sign up for a offer, go to their website and create an account, take a vacation there, etc. And anecdotally I don't think we can derive much from the posts on here. I see some people post they get a PIN every year and go there very year, some don't. But I often get coupons based on my purchasing habits that not everyone gets who has the same grocery club card as me. I'm a silver medallion FF and I don't get the same bonuses as gold and platinum. All people aren't treated the same in most Programs for a variety of reasons I'm sure.

People pay different prices for things all the time. I happen to be someone who haggles and I often get a discount when the person right behind me in line doesn't. For the most part I think most people pay about the same price for the same quality package they purchase at WDW. Now I can't speak for non-U.S offers. I wold imagine that because most non-U.S visitors get more time off than Americns and airfare costs quite a bit more that more incentive may be needed to entice them to take their holiday in Orlando, Fl...just a guess.

And to be clear, I agree with your point that it's not always fair when discounts aren't applied across the board, I'm just saying that it happens all the time but for the most part I think the majority of people pay about the same in the end.

Their logic is simple, sell as many units as possible at list price, and discount as necessary to fill up the balance of the rooms. It happens in all kinds of business' everyday.

As for Disney fans, we have no logic, it's a sickness :rotfl2:

We have been to WDW 12 times in 12 years and DL twice. I am signed up on the disney site and have many DVD's and custom maps. We have never gotten a pin. I have done a few bounce back offers. I did manage to get the p/s/d before the price was increased.

BOTTOM LINE

I love going to the happiest place on earth (yes I know that's really DL motto) so I'm ok with paying less than the next person:lmao::rotfl2: or slightly more:scared:

I pay, go, and leave life behind.pixiedust:

Muddypaws said:

Can't say I'm happy I didn't get a pin but can say I'm happy I saved close to $1800 off our original booking. It is discriminating the way pins are sent. At least it feels like that when your not on the receiving end.

Ultimately, while we choose to make our time at WDW super happy and fabulous, the business machine that is Disney is not concerned with my happiness. They are, and have been for some time, only concerned with shareholder profits. I'm ok with that - I'd love to see them give a nod to customer loyalty, but they don't. I still choose to throw them my cash because I feel the product offered is worth it. It is what it is if you want to love Disney - there is no need to try and romanticize them. The joy and wonder comes with you - and is found in those cast members who also make it important. It just 'ain't' something corporate gives a crud about :).

I'm trying to book a hotel for January for marathon weekend and was lucky enough to get a PIN offer via email but all the value resorts (excluding family suites) aren't available and even with the savings, other hotels are out of my budget for this trip. I found Disney rooms on Priceline at really good rates and was hoping for some advice before I book. Some of the room types are listed twice, with different prices and only some say they include Magical Express service (obviously the more expensive ones). Is that accurate? I thought all Disney rooms included ME, but I don't know if that's different when going through a third party.

I keep checking on here to see if anyone was lucky enough to get a free dining offer. I was hoping Disney was going to come out with an extra special 2013 offer. We are currently booked with S/P/D discount, but you never know. I keep checking for any pin I may receive or any extra offer that might be out there....

Called last Friday and asked if we had a pin, and YEAH we did. Free Dining, saved us about $300.00. And we didn't have to change resorts.
;)

lkh said:
I'm trying to book a hotel for January for marathon weekend and was lucky enough to get a PIN offer via email but all the value resorts (excluding family suites) aren't available and even with the savings, other hotels are out of my budget for this trip. I found Disney rooms on Priceline at really good rates and was hoping for some advice before I book. Some of the room types are listed twice, with different prices and only some say they include Magical Express service (obviously the more expensive ones). Is that accurate? I thought all Disney rooms included ME, but I don't know if that's different when going through a third party.

I've never used Priceline, but I would think that all Disney resort rooms include magical express. I would just be nervous about any additional fees the third parties have, especially if you have to cancel or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!