• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

We booked a standard room for our family of four - do we have to request two queen beds instead of a sleeper or bunk beds since my kids are older? Or will they just see the ages on our reservation and give us two queens?
July

Karenklo, 23rd - 29th, AKL

Here is the latest list of everyone visiting in 2017 & 2018

If you have any updates please let me know…

January

Archdandy, 17th - 27th, kidani

Volne, 21st - 25th, AKL

Hockeybabe, 22nd - 24th, Kidani

Texans_loyal, 22nd - 25th, AKL

MKEgramma, 22nd - 29th, AKL

10MoreMinutes, 28th - 30th, AKL

10MoreMinutes, 30th - 31st, ASM

Maranara, 29th - Feb 5th, AKL

February

Ericar, Jan 30th - 6th, AKL

Fosterlovesmickey, 4th - 11th, AKL

Jen4400, 4th - 11th, AKL

Bozley0621, 7th - 12th, AKL

Javamoma, 8th - 11th, AKL

Twende, 9th - 11th AKL Jambo & 11th - 16th AKL Kidani

Markandjen, 11th - 13th, AKL

Crostorfer, 14th - 17th, AKL

disneyAndi14, 16th - 23rd, AKL

March

Buteraa, 14th - 19th, AKL

Dwheaton, 18th - 24th, AKL

Sparkyco, 17th - 25th, AKL CL

April

Katiedid36, 1st - 8th, AKL

Momtwoboys, 17th - 24th, AKV

May

Xlsm, Apr 30th - 6th, AKL

Mindeola, 1st - 4th, AKL

Traceylee, 6th - 14th, AKL

Katriscari, 6th - 16th, AKL

Ml sumner, 20th - 25th, AKL

PoohNFriends, 28th - Jun 3rd, AKL

Rlduvall, 29th - Jun 5th, AKV

June

Mlunsford, May 28th - 3rd, AKV

Capang, 6th - 14th, AKL

Kamikazecat, 22nd - July 6th, Jambo House

July

Karenklo, 23rd - 29th, AKL

August

OThopeful35, 1st - 12th, AKL

Izzylovesmickey, 3rd - 6th, AKL

Arden01, 16th - 23rd, AKL

DizDaD7, 19th - 22nd, AKL

September

October

Dgbg100106, 1st -4th, BCV

Pkltm, 2nd - 11th, AKL

Hi Pluto, 4th - 5th, Kidani

Kristenrice, 15th - 20th, AKV- Jambo

Karen1987, 15th - 29th, AKL CL

Bigskip, 28th - Nov 11th, AKL CL

November

TaraPA, 11th - 13th, AKL CL

December

Rlduvall, 2nd - 9th, AKV

Somnia, 8th - 15th Jambo CL

Sunset7132, 8th - 17th, AKL

New Hamp, 9th - 12th, AKL

Sndral, 9th - 15th, Jambo

LvsTnk, 10th -19th, Kidani

Sndral, 15th - 19th, Kidani

Could anyone tell me what kind of yogurts the have for sale in the Mara and Zawadie market......96 day's and counting.

We are very excited for our first stay at Jambo house. I thought I read somewhere that they did daily flamingo feedings. Flamingos are my favorite animal. Does anyone have any information on this?

As my daughter shouted this morning, 5 DAYS! 5 DAYS! 5 DAYS!!!!! :) Question about the busses...we're planning on doing rope drop each morning...for those who also are early morning park people...what time did you get on the busses? I have no sense how long it takes for a bus to come or how long the ride from AKL is to the park. We'll be up super early (oh, the joys of having a child who thinks sleeping late means sleeping until 6:30) but the longer I can spend sipping coffee and watching giraffes, the better. :)

We are also early risers who plan to hit rope drop next week. :) Until I get a sense of how busy the stop is, I'm planning 30 minutes in advance of opening time for DAK, 45 for EC and DHS and 1 hour for MK. There are likely others on here who might have more insight. Since the bus stop doesn't have a great way to form 'lines', I find if we're not pushy about the order in which we arrived, we get pushed out of the way by those who arrived last but think they should board first. (One of my WDW pet peeves...)

As my daughter shouted this morning, 5 DAYS! 5 DAYS! 5 DAYS!!!!! :) Question about the busses...we're planning on doing rope drop each morning...for those who also are early morning park people...what time did you get on the busses? I have no sense how long it takes for a bus to come or how long the ride from AKL is to the park. We'll be up super early (oh, the joys of having a child who thinks sleeping late means sleeping until 6:30) but the longer I can spend sipping coffee and watching giraffes, the better. :)

....or, it's posted on a board something like this:

WDW2006117.jpg
Thanks! Do you know if there is a listing of the current activities?

Hi everyone! I'm slowly planning for a possible May 2018 trip and I was planning on renting DVC points for about 4 nights at AKL. I'm leaning more toward a Standard Studio since I'd love to save a bit of $ (and it's just me) and from the other postings it seems like there are plenty of areas to view the animals.

However, I guess the age old question is...Jambo or Kidani? I feel like I've researched this to death and am no closer to an answer. One thing is that I won't be driving so I'll be exclusively relying on the buses, and I know that most of the buses stop at Kidani first, which is a huge plus for me. HOWEVER, part of the reason I'm staying at this resort (other than having never been) is that I am super excited to try all of the restaurants - Sanaa, Jiko, Boma, the lounge. And of course most of the restaurants are at Jambo.

With that bit of background, I guess my final questions are:
1) Is the bus situation at Jambo that much worse than Kidani? Other than not getting a seat, what's the probability of a full bus passing me up at Jambo?
2) Any opinions over Jambo vs. Kidani? I love to hear personal experiences/reasons.

Thanks in advance- you seem like a lovely group of people on this board!

Hi everyone! I'm slowly planning for a possible May 2018 trip and I was planning on renting DVC points for about 4 nights at AKL. I'm leaning more toward a Standard Studio since I'd love to save a bit of $ (and it's just me) and from the other postings it seems like there are plenty of areas to view the animals.

However, I guess the age old question is...Jambo or Kidani? I feel like I've researched this to death and am no closer to an answer. One thing is that I won't be driving so I'll be exclusively relying on the buses, and I know that most of the buses stop at Kidani first, which is a huge plus for me. HOWEVER, part of the reason I'm staying at this resort (other than having never been) is that I am super excited to try all of the restaurants - Sanaa, Jiko, Boma, the lounge. And of course most of the restaurants are at Jambo.

1) Is the bus situation at Jambo that much worse than Kidani? Other than not getting a seat, what's the probability of a full bus passing me up at Jambo?
2) Any opinions over Jambo vs. Kidani? I love to hear personal experiences/reasons.

I am no expert so info could be wrong. I would do Jambo for a standard view (not the value parking lot price). The views for DVC studio rooms are either pool or partial Savannah (i.e. with a fenced people pen view). Might be a 60/40 split in favour of partial Savannah I never counted on touringplans site. There are parking lot views at Kidani and those partial Savannah views. I would rather have a pool view than a parking view. When we were at Jambo I barely noticed the fencing on the 5th floor. The pool views seem decent with less walking to the bus and everything else. You will have to specify that you want Jambo or Kidani when renting from at least David's.

Buses were never close to full for us getting on at Jambo but I only went there once. Going back next month at Jambo. Had I paid for a Savannah view I would pick Kidani.

I am no expert so info could be wrong. I would do Jambo for a standard view (not the value parking lot price). The views for DVC studio rooms are either pool or partial Savannah (i.e. with a fenced people pen view). Might be a 60/40 split in favour of partial Savannah I never counted on touringplans site. There are parking lot views at Kidani and those partial Savannah views. I would rather have a pool view than a parking view. When we were at Jambo I barely noticed the fencing on the 5th floor. The pool views seem decent with less walking to the bus and everything else. You will have to specify that you want Jambo or Kidani when renting from at least David's.

Buses were never close to full for us getting on at Jambo but I only went there once. Going back next month at Jambo. Had I paid for a Savannah view I would pick Kidani.
I would get quotes from the dvc rental places before stressing too much over Jambo vs Kidani. They may only have one or the other available. Plus, Kidani would have more dvc rooms available, since it's more of the dvc "home". You could always try to get a kidani house with a request for "close to jambo". Of course, it's only a request.

~Cari~ pluto:

I would get quotes from the dvc rental places before stressing too much over Jambo vs Kidani. They may only have one or the other available. Plus, Kidani would have more dvc rooms available, since it's more of the dvc "home". You could always try to get a kidani house with a request for "close to jambo". Of course, it's only a request.

~Cari~ pluto:
Yeah, that's a good point, and one I thought of last night. I guess there's just a lack of planning I can do this far out so I'm reaching!

1) Simple answer...NO Chances are slim to none, not getting a seat... Also I believe there are dedicated buses to at least MK, not sure about all the other parks.:confused3
2) We stayed @ both and quite honestly love them both for different reasons. True the 2 TS restaurants & QS are at Jambo, & Sanaa only at Kidani...But there is a shuttle that runs between the 2 resorts. Also the pool at Jambo is larger w/ a small slide. Kidani has a more intimate pool w/ a much larger slide, & also a water play area. ( actually pretty good size too ) The Lobby at Jambo is A M A Z I N G, and Kidani is more subdued...The overall feel there is laid back.. Savanna views may be a lil better @ Kidani.

Here's a link to a website that has some more info.....http://www.aklresort.com/content/printed-materials

DVC studio values don't face the parking lot...Pool views, or savannah on the Ostrich Trail.
Not so sure about that...They don't all face the pens.& that's it.
This is true, provided you're on the Giraffe Trail...That's ideal IMHO

~Cari~ pluto:
No real benefit to that though... Still a few minute walk...Best bet is to just take a bus/shuttle over.

Can we be added as well? My daughter and I are going for our annual trip Feb 24 to March 8th-AKL CL. This will be our fourth time at AKL after a long string of BC stays. In fact, the last time we stayed here was with my husband and son back in 2011 when they stilled loved coming with us to WDW. Now they do their thing and we do ours! My daughter will be turning 21 during the trip so she is looking forward to her first legal cocktail at Dawa Bar, followed by a celebration dinner at Tiffins. Maybe RoL will open just in time for her birthday??pixiedust:We had lunch at Flame Tree last year and watched the construction thinking there was no way they would be ready in time but never thinking it would be a full year later.

AKL is her favorite resort so she is especially excited to be going back. We have a ton of ADR's including two fireworks dessert parties, dinner at BOG, lunch at CRT, two Fantasmic packages and brunch at CG along with breakfast at 'Ohana, Cape May, Tusker, Garden Grill and 1900 Park Fare and dinners at Le Cellier, Artist Point, Kona, Tutto Italia, Homecoming.......I just counted and we have 31 for 13 days-Yikes! I have to pare down a bit, this is crazy even for me.:crazy2:

Since you are planning for so far into the future, you should be able to get Jambo (which has fewer DVC villas than Kidani) especially if you contact whomever you plan to use to rent from on or before the 11 month home resort booking window opens.
For a first stay at AKL and as a solo, I'd opt for Jambo. The lobby is amazing & it's nice to occasionally sit in the lobby & people watch in addition to animal watching. The QS restaurant is there as is Victoria Falls - the lobby bar. The standard view villas in Jambo will be on the 5th floor on either Kudu or Zebra trail & you'll be looking at the pool or foliage around the pool or a partial savanna view. Kidani studios are bigger, but as a solo that probably isn't as important. And at Kidani your standard view may be towards the front road/parking area. Kidani is all DVC units whereas Jambo is mostly hotel rooms so the guest mix is a bit different.
Have fun planning.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter