Is Coronavirus affecting your travel plans?

We’re flying Air Canada Into Fort Lauderdale because the cruise begins and ends there .We will drive to Marco Island and back to FLL. .. when we disembark if armagedden has happened, I guess we’ll drive home to Toronto. 🤷🏼‍♀️

We’re watching what happens over the next week. My husband is flying to Florida next Monday, and visiting his father and step-mother and then his mother, before I join him the following weekend when school is out. His mom has non-Hodgkins and just got out of the hospital after suffering from one of her cough/upper respiratory infections. If there is any chance that he might be exposed to anything on the way down, he may change his plans so as not to take the risk (even if its very small) in bringing anything into her home. She likely wouldn’t survive the Coronavirus.

We’re in NY and 7 miles from a major university with diversity (almost 100 nations represented), many of those kids having had winter break with their families abroad. I am nervous about something popping up around here.

For those who say “be more concerned about the flu” it just doesn’t make sense to me. Of course, we are concerned about what things are usual, but this is something unusual, and thus, I am more concerned about what will happen as it potentially spreads in the middle of flu season. Ugh. In other news... I just read an article about how warm water was found beneath a large ice sheet in the Antarctic and when the sheet melts, it will cause sea level to rise 3 feet across the globe. Any good news?

To date this year - 305 have died from Coronavirus
Today alone - 963 have died from ‘seasonal flu’
This feels scarier because the infection numbers leap daily , but the deaths are actually low in proportion.

At least for the flu I can get a vaccine - and mortality rate is 0.1%.vs 2%.

The problem is we do not know the real mortality rate. The New York Times and The Guardian have had some very detailed articles which talk about how the number of cases counted in Wuhan are only of people tested. But many, many people with milder symptoms have not been officially diagnosed and also people died of "pneumonia since early-mid January that were not counted as a Coronavirus death. Someone upthread mentioned potentially 75,000 cases and that is a number I found during my reading too.

It will be very interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks. I am flying to California tomorrow and my husband leaves for a month in Italy at the end of the month. I am supposed to be join him in early-mid March. I am optimistic that the Europe trip will not be impacted, but we get more/different information everyday. But no, I am not worried at this point about catching it here around town.

Last edited:
To date this year - 305 have died from Coronavirus
Today alone - 963 have died from ‘seasonal flu’
This feels scarier because the infection numbers leap daily , but the deaths are actually low in proportion.

It's less scary for me since I know I'm very unlikely to get the coronavirus. It's getting far more media coverage because of China's reaction to it. And it will eventually impact our supply chains in the US. However, it's pretty contained at this point. No worries here. But it's fascinating to watch this unfold.

Why would I? The Coronavirus has been around for a long time. This is just a variant of it. It is called the common cold and it leads to pneumonia in the very old and imunocompromised.

China has responded remarkably well especially in comparison to how the US responded to H1N1 which infected and killed far more worldwide.

people coming back from China were not put in any type of isolation.

I booked a trip to NYC for DH just yesterday, as he found out on Monday that a relative died very unexpectedly. He's not going to miss the funeral because of the chance of coronavirus. What can you do?

Sooooo, this happened at his Southwest gate at LGA on Sunday afternoon waiting for his return flight. The plane that he's supposed to board pulls up at the gate and the passengers begin to deplane. A woman wearing a medical mask promptly passes out the moment she steps off the jet-way into the terminal. NO ONE goes near her to assist. EMTs were called but even they hung back a bit after she was conscious again. SWA says there will be a delay while they clean the plane. Then they say, no, even longer delay, they are switching out the plane entirely. Meanwhile the woman says she's fine and tries to walk away. NYPD is there at this point and says, no, no, we'd like to know who you are, where you've been, and where you are going! No idea what she said to them in response. DH then gets the skinny from the very talkative crew who was on her inbound flight to LGA. She threw up twice during the flight, once spraying a bunch of passengers. Who knows what she had, but given the current climate it was a really alarming event! DH was just glad that there was another plane available for them to switch to.

Sooooo, this happened at his Southwest gate at LGA on Sunday afternoon waiting for his return flight. The plane that he's supposed to board pulls up at the gate and the passengers begin to deplane. A woman wearing a medical mask promptly passes out the moment she steps off the jet-way into the terminal. NO ONE goes near her to assist. EMTs were called but even they hung back a bit after she was conscious again. SWA says there will be a delay while they clean the plane. Then they say, no, even longer delay, they are switching out the plane entirely. Meanwhile the woman says she's fine and tries to walk away. NYPD is there at this point and says, no, no, we'd like to know who you are, where you've been, and where you are going! No idea what she said to them in response. DH then gets the skinny from the very talkative crew who was on her inbound flight to LGA. She threw up twice during the flight, once spraying a bunch of passengers. Who knows what she had, but given the current climate it was a really alarming event! DH was just glad that there was another plane available for them to switch to.

If a passenger on a plane “sprayed” me with vomit, I wouldn’t be able to hold it together. Pretty sure I would freak the heck out, and it has nothing to do with the Coronavirus. That’s a nightmare.

I have a friend who got food poisining in Costa Rica and it didn’t start until she was in flight. She passed out and had to taken off the plane by EMTs when they arrived.

there are about a thousand other reasons this person could have been ill. People got sick on planes before this and will continue to do so.

I just flew internationally and didn't really notice any oddness at JFK. My flight home today was not as full as usual but it's also an odd day and time to return from an international vacation.

I have a friend who got food poisining in Costa Rica and it didn’t start until she was in flight. She passed out and had to taken off the plane by EMTs when they arrived.

there are about a thousand other reasons this person could have been ill. People got sick on planes before this and will continue to do so.

Ironically, happened to me on my flight back from China in December - longest flight ever (actually only about 11 hours but felt forever). I didn't pass out or need medical intervention (and always made it to the toilet), but I was miserable. Thankfully, I was in Business so (a) had a "bed" and (b) had a bigger/less crowded bathroom (also an overnight flight so most people were sleeping, also keeping the bathroom free).

Happy the trip was in December and not January.

We are in Singapore at the moment, going to Sydney later today to join a cruise.
When we arrived here earlier in the week from London the only change to the usual process was some people ar the airport asking travellers at random to have their temperature taken.
There are more people than usual wearing masks, almost always Asians not westerners
This trip was originally planned to hub through Shanghai and Hong Kong with Shanghai Disneyland as a primary objective! We became concerned at the end of last year with the unrest in HK so rerouted our flights through Singapore instead. A case of being right for the wrong reasons?

ford family

My sister got food poisoning when leaving Disney and threw up on the plane ride home. Didn't pass out, but she was doubled over most of the flight and couldn't get to the bathroom because the guy on the aisle was sleeping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter