Hurricane Irma?

We have reservations for Friday thru Monday and have decided we are definitely NOT going.

The following is me just getting things off my chest feel free to skip to the next post if you like:

I understand the business and financial side of Disney not making changes or refunding anything until there is a Hurricane Warning for the ORLANDO area issued from the NHC. There are A TON of different situations with guest reservations. The storm might be hitting at the very beginning of a long stay for some, it could be in the middle for some, or (like in my situation) it could be at the end of an extended weekend trip. Each person can weigh their comfort level and make decisions accordingly.

My thinking was, we could probably enjoy Saturday for the most part. Sunday would be dicey as to how much fun we would have given the increased winds and rain. We have tickets to MNSSHP on Sunday evening. We could do with rain, but the high winds and rain would make it miserable, even at the MK. However, our biggest fear would be Monday. I expect that airlines will be grounded on Monday as the storm rolls through, only to resume Tuesday. Now they have to try to not only honor the original scheduled flights, but also get everyone else who was supposed to fly out on Monday worked in as well. (I know this happens with every major weather event world wide. It's nothing new.) But now, I am forced to find and pay for lodging for as many days as it would take to get a flight back home.

Since we have APs, it is a little easier for us to reschedule than others. I just wish that I could call in now (before a warning may be issued) and re-book a room for January without penalty. I would be taking a few less people out of the mix of stressful times.

If they don't issue a warning, I'm only out a room deposit and the MNSSHP tickets. Most likely financially cheaper than going and having to stay longer due to delays. Now, my child missing school would be another thing.

Why aren't you able to re-book a room for Jan without penalty? I thought that you could modify a room only package without penalty right up to check in. That has been my experience. I was supposed to check in yesterday. I called Monday night and rescheduled. It took a long time but it all worked out in the end.

My understanding is that if you had a trip planned for 9/6 to 9/13 (just for an example) at the GF you could reschedule that reservation for anytime outside of the five day cancellation window (for a room only package) and then cancel that reservation without penalty. So, you need to reschedule for anytime after 9/12. You don't need to find a room for a week, just find something for one night. Then you can cancel that reservation and get a refund for the night that you have already paid. Only change your reservation to a room that costs equal to or less than what you have already paid (because otherwise you would have to pay the difference for a night in a more expensive room...it would be refunded but I wouldn't do that) then change the reservation, and cancel the new reservation. I never cancel immediately after rescheduling but I'm sure that you can. I've canceled a couple of hours later. In the past, when I wasn't sure if this would work, I changed a reservation for the Poly at $700 a night to a room at Pop Century for around $150. I was refunded immediately for the $550 difference and then later I canceled the room at Pop and was refunded the other $150.

Harvey was the exception to the west is best rule. I am beginning to think the rules are going out the window these days.
Harvey didn't really have a East or West did it? It was a different creature all the way around due to the way it moved and stopped and just rained. It really didn't even have wind associated with a hurricane. It was rain and lots of it. Something different all together. I think it needs a new definition.

At least Irma is behaving like a Hurricane usually behaves. Hopefully that makes sense. Harvey didn't.

People have moved other reservations (not those for Irma but shouldn't be any different) and as long as they keep their same confirmation number they keep their renovation gift card

There's no benefit to doing it on the phone vs. online UNLESS you are inside the change window and online is trying to charge you a change fee. On the phone they can waive that.

We got travel insurance so we can't change anything online :( I'm going to wait until friday to make any decisions. We are scheduled to drive and we were planning to leave at 6:30 pm I'm already thinking about gas prices... idk if they would be higher before or after the storm (if we were able to reschedule a week and keep our free dining) That is what id like to do.... wait a week but then I wonder about clean up. I remember watching videos on youtube of some of the damage from Matthew last year and it wasn't nearly as bad a some of what we are seeing from Harvey. I live in upstate NY and it gets crazy when they call for a big snow storm but we've never had the need for all the extra supplies even when we've lost power for days. I'm thinking that people should always be prepared and avoid this craziness and chaos. Media creates this panic days in advance then it gets worse earlier and then there is less to go around. crazy!

Poo. I can't change online anymore. I guess bc it is so close to check in it now tells me to call to make changes.

Harvey didn't really have a East or West did it? It was a different creature all the way around due to the way it moved and stopped and just rained. It really didn't even have wind associated with a hurricane. It was rain and lots of it. Something different all together. I think it needs a new definition.

Dickinson, TX had lots of wind damage. There was something like 144 tornado warnings in a 24 hour period outside of Houston. It just had a lot of moisture in it from stalling over the Gulf for so long.

ETA: Port Aransas and Corpus might have had more wind damage than Dickinson. It's the flooding people remember though.

I posted this once already but this thread has engulfed it in all the chaos. If you insured your trip with Travelex when booking through Disney your trip costs will be covered 100% if your flight is cancelled or if MCO closes. I confirmed that yesterday. So being that the only way I wouldn't go down is if my flight on Sunday is cancelled/MCO closes it really gives me the freedom to wait until the absolute last second. Just wanna post that for anyone that may be in the same boat as me

We have not been able to change our reservation over the Disney phone line (407) 939-1936. Constant recording ... "We're sorry all circuits are busy now. Please try your call again later." No online alternative to make changes, so we might be out of luck on our room fees. Hopefully we can at least use our tickets at a later date.
Keep calling! I got through yesterday by dialing over and over!

I'm on hold with DVC member services. I am fairly certain there is no availability to move our trip from this weekend (9/10-9/15) to the following (9/16-21)...if by some miracle there is, we will move the trip. If not, we will cancel. Not sure what happens to our points. I'm honestly so frazzled I can't remember if the points were current use year or banked. So I'm hoping we don't lose the points completely. Either way, if we cancel the trip we will book something off-site for cash for that later week and try to salvage our vacation. We weren't doing Disney, so we will need to reschedule our Discovery Cove day. Not happy about having to eat $600+ to book a cash reservation somewhere but honestly we desperately need a vacation.

Assuming Florida is still standing of course.

lg_spaghetti.jpg

I hope it just goes east and out to sea... This is tampa news btw

Hi I just went on CNN and was listening to their weather report. Yes this is a very plausible situation but a little premature to have confidence. There is consensus that this hurricane is going to turn east. However, nobody is sure when it will take the turn. It could turn early and go up the east coast or it could turn later and hit directly into Florida. The weather person says it would realistically be another 72 hours before they know more on the US mainland strike. As a pp mentioned these things are unpredictable and can change at any time.

If you can wait till the last minute to decide I totally agree and understand. It takes a lot of time and money to plan a trip. The thing I think about is even if you get down there and are safe you have to ask yourself do you really want to spend a possible couple of days in a room where you spent all that money for parks? If you can change it without losing much money and can go another time I would think about that.

I remember back in 2011 when New England was hit with hurricane Irene. We had friends on vacation and they could not get back to their home for almost a week. It was very stressful and cost a lot more money added to their trip. They had known about the possible storm threat and did not alter their time frame to get home. That is a very serious thing to consider. Are you able to be away from home for a possible week or less. Traveling through other states and Florida could be messy.

Either way whatever you choose I wish you luck and safe travels. For everyone that will be in this hurricane's path I will be praying and thinking about you. It breaks my heart when I hear so many people lose so much because of natural disasters.

At least Irma is behaving like a Hurricane usually behaves. Hopefully that makes sense. Harvey didn't.

Ummm...tell that to the people of Rockport, Port Aransas, Taft, and all the other communities the storm originally hit before Houston's flood. (Just like Katrina-those hit by the storms winds are forgotten under the shadow of the flood.) http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/26/us/rockport-texas-hurricane-harvey/index.html http://www.kiiitv.com/news/local/a-look-at-the-damage-in-taft-after-hurricane-harvey/469420129

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/04/us/hurricane-harvey-from-corpus-christi-to-houston/index.html This article gives a good map of the swath of land that this storm covered and many pictures and details of some of the communities affected.

When folks say Florida will have some impact no matter what, this is a reference point.

Last edited:
I live in Tampa and am monitoring the storm. Keep in mind, no matter the plot this is a massive, massive storm over 400 miles wide. FL is a little over 100 miles wide. ALL of Florida will be effected. The gov. is asking for ALL of Florida to prepare. Last year Matthew followed a path similar to the current spaghetti models. Matthew was smaller and less intense. Disney closed for Matthew. The path can shift, the forecasts can change. If you can change your plans I would. As a Floridian, we all need to prepare. If you can make adjustment and allow for more Disney employees to be with their families during the storm it would be appreciated by those employees and their families.

Our family has supplies and hotel reservations in the event we need to evacuate.

If you think the media is overreacting then please, listen to Gov. Rick Scott. His advice is sound and should be taken into consideration.

I know many have trips that they are looking forward to, but I can tell you you will enjoy it more without a hurricane.

We got travel insurance so we can't change anything online :( I'm going to wait until friday to make any decisions. We are scheduled to drive and we were planning to leave at 6:30 pm I'm already thinking about gas prices... idk if they would be higher before or after the storm (if we were able to reschedule a week and keep our free dining) That is what id like to do.... wait a week but then I wonder about clean up. I remember watching videos on youtube of some of the damage from Matthew last year and it wasn't nearly as bad a some of what we are seeing from Harvey. I live in upstate NY and it gets crazy when they call for a big snow storm but we've never had the need for all the extra supplies even when we've lost power for days. I'm thinking that people should always be prepared and avoid this craziness and chaos. Media creates this panic days in advance then it gets worse earlier and then there is less to go around. crazy!
Orlando had no damage from Matthew at all. Didn't really even have any rain. Can't even compare to Harvey. Irma will not do what Harvey did. Irma won't stall out and drop 50" of rain on FL like Harvey did. So you can at least eliminate that worry from your mind.

What if any clean up will there be from Irma? That no one knows. Won't till there is more known about where it's going.

Ummm...tell that to the people of Rockport, Port Aransas, Taft, and all the other communities the storm originally hit before Houston's flood. (Just like Katrina-those hit by the storms winds are forgotten under the shadow of the flood.) http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/26/us/rockport-texas-hurricane-harvey/index.html http://www.kiiitv.com/news/local/a-look-at-the-damage-in-taft-after-hurricane-harvey/469420129
Ok, then need to discuss it in 2 different ways. There are 2 different parts of Harvey to discuss. The rain that Houston got had nothing to do with East side/West side of the Hurricane. The winds that came with it when it first blew in were typical Hurricane behavior.

For anybody canceling, did you book airfare through Disney for AA? I am on hold now with customer service, but I am curious how they handle the airfare. I can't do anything with it through AA website as it tells me to contact my travel agent (WDW).

Super frustrating, huh? Have a trip planned for Night of Joy for my family, and trying to decide what to do is really hard with the lack of information Disney is putting out there. Family leaves tomorrow morning, but no word on cancellations of the concert, or anything in regards to Irma.
I think the reason is they still just don't know enough about where it's going to make a cancellation call. As frustrating as it is. But they can't make a call about things they don't know about yet.
When do performers cancel? They need travel time too. "Hmm? I think I'll keep my powder dry for the Hurricane Relief concert." "Could I please open tonight, we have the first helicopter out of the jungle scheduled."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter