Hurricane Irma?

Re: State of Emergency. Just as an FYI, one was declared on Oct 3rd 2017 regarding Matthew. The hurricane didn't hit until 4-5 days later. So while this is a little earlier, it's similar in terms of timing if Irma is set to be on Miami's doorstep by Saturday.

Quite right! This time last week we were saying that about Irma. Lesson learned, it's never too early to at least keep it in mind.

And it's incredibly fascinating to watch these things spawn and change over time. I first watched one last year as my trip grew closer. Eventually it turned into Hurricane Matthew. Concern isn't a finite resource, well maybe our capacity for anxiety created by it is but we can look at multiple things. People also said "lets deal with harvey first then care about this new one!" But if it's an active season, there may be more things that pop up in close numbers. Hopefully there are no heavy impacts on anyone.

Where do you see this?

MIAMI (CBSMiami) — Florida Governor Rick Scott has declared a StateOf Emergency to prepare Florida for a possible hit by Hurricane Irma – now a category 4 hurricane.

Monday evening the governor issued the order for all 67 counties in the state soon after the latest advisory showed the forecast cone reaching parts of South Florida sometime during the weekend.

“Hurricane Irma is a major and life-threatening storm and Florida must be prepared. I have continued to be briefed by the Florida Division of Emergency Management on Hurricane Irma and current forecast models have Florida in Irma’s path – potentially impacting millions of Floridians,” said Governor Scott.

Absolute worst case scenario for me would be leaving Saturday night. How's Disney with refunding a night if you're leaving because of a storm?

Hurricane Irma is now a CAT 4. I realize that hurricanes wobble constantly, causing the tracking to be difficult at best.

What concerns me about this conversation is how Orlando is generally safe from direct hits, equating to little impact on everyday life. What is alarming are the comments regarding the size of Florida, and Orlando being " landlocked ", if you will. The mileage width of Florida is 361 miles. Length being around 417 miles.

IF Irma is a turd like Harvey was, and stalls... goes back out... makes landfall again... stalls... ummm. Epic flooding ensues.

Harvey's eye hit Rockport... The eye being the calmest. Rockport to Galveston is 255 miles. With that being said, Harvey travelled much further than the width of Florida, when you consider Beaumont and then Louisiana. :eek:

I'm not being a nay sayer here, I'm just truly concerned. I have cancelled our trip...not because of a few storms, but for the potential of catastrophic flooding.

Be safe, everyone and I do hope this monster storm wobbles her big fanny out to sea.

:grouphug:

Anyone else just gonna ride out the storm at their resort? We're staying off site but had a campsite rented for the evening of the 10th with a couple extra family members. The storm will hit at the beginning of our 14 day trip so I'm thinking we'll just go and hang in our townhouse and hope for the best.

Anyone else just gonna ride out the storm at their resort? We're staying off site but had a campsite rented for the evening of the 10th with a couple extra family members. The storm will hit at the beginning of our 14 day trip so I'm thinking we'll just go and hang in our townhouse and hope for the best.

Just stock up on food/water/batteries and have a first aid kit. I'd be doing the same as you!

Oh man. It figures. Hurricane possibilities...you can blame me. It's because we're going to Orlando on the 9th LOL.

We are staying at SSR but are not doing the parks. We actually have tickets to Discovery Cove on the 10th but I am concerned we may have to move that reservation to another day. Our plans for the other days were Bush Gardens, Aquatica and Sea World, all of which wouldn't be feasible during a hurricane on the 10th.

We will make the best of it. My concern will be our Discovery Cove day on the 10t needing to be moved.

JUst started browsing this thread and didn't start at the beginning.....

DS24 & his GF are heading to WDW the 9th as well. They will be flying into MCO and their main concern is that they can get down there. They said they could deal with the rest, they just want to get there.

We arrive on the 7th at Boulder Ridge then switch to YC CL on the 9th. I am absolutely terrified at this point but trying to figure out the logistics of rescheduling has me beyond stressed out right now. For right now we are still going.

No, we are not planning to ride it out. We have such a short trip planned that it doesn't make sense to fly down there and sit in the condo. If I had a 1 week trip planned, that would be different. Be safe to anyone planning to ride it out in the hotels/resorts. If you can rearrange your trip and arrive a couple of days later , I would do that. Unfortunately, we will reschedule altogether unless there is a dramatic shift.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter