Hurricane Irma?

I'm downloaded more movies/episodes of shows to Netflix. We're doing a car service with a grocery stop, so hopefully we can get some water then along with snacks, etc. I'm thinking we'll get a few extra snacks than we'd normally get just in case.

So... we are scheduled to check out of our Fort Wilderness cabin Monday morning and fly out at 5:20pm which is looking pretty dicey. There is availability right now at a value resort for Monday and Tuesday night online. If you were in our shoes, would you wait and see which resort we get evacuated to (since that would definitely happen if it gets bad enough that our flight is canceled) and then try to extend from there wherever we end up? Or go ahead and book a value resort for a couple of nights and hope they waive the cancellation fee if we don't end up needing it?

Anyone else just gonna ride out the storm at their resort? We're staying off site but had a campsite rented for the evening of the 10th with a couple extra family members. The storm will hit at the beginning of our 14 day trip so I'm thinking we'll just go and hang in our townhouse and hope for the best.
We are heading down on the 7th. We plan on riding it out for now but that may change depending on how it looks Wednesday. Moving our trip to the 14th may be a better option.

:wave: Be safe on your trip!!

Thanks buddy! The way I'm looking at it I got a great 4.5 days coming up at least, and if it's getting messy I'll change flights and book it out of there Saturday night.

You're right. It's too early for real answers. It all depends on the storm track, strength, and timing. If the hurricane hits the Orlando area on the day you are to fly out, your flight will be cancelled. If it hits while you are at WDW, parks will be closed and you will be confined to your room for a period of time. But right now, no one really knows where this storm will go. It could move back out to the Atlantic as it moves north. It could take a track up towards the Carolinas. It could go more into the Gulf. Or it could hit Florida dead on. Just keep an eye on it.

Oh, and we're supposed to fly down on the 8th and be there through the 17th. I'm really hoping it tracks back out into the Atlantic.
We are arriving the 8th and leaving the 17th as well. Praying this Hurricane moves along

Last edited:
So... we are scheduled to check out of our Fort Wilderness cabin Monday morning and fly out at 5:20pm which is looking pretty dicey. There is availability right now at a value resort for Monday and Tuesday night online. If you were in our shoes, would you wait and see which resort we get evacuated to (since that would definitely happen if it gets bad enough that our flight is canceled) and then try to extend from there wherever we end up? Or go ahead and book a value resort for a couple of nights and hope they waive the cancellation fee if we don't end up needing it?
I would book a couple of nights now & cancel if the storm goes a different direction and you don't need the rooms.

If you could fly into Orlando on Sat, would you do that, or reschedule for Wed? It look a like Sun/Mon is when Orlando would be mostly impacted.

If you could fly into Orlando on Sat, would you do that, or reschedule for Wed? It look a like Sun/Mon is when Orlando would be mostly impacted.

its honestly way to early to tell anything right now. all the news and weather reports keep changing every hour.

i say tomorrow you will have a much better idea of whats going to happen. by Wednesday you will get all confirmations from airlines and airports of what will happen.

I fly in saturday morning as well :( its all a waiting game right now. regardless i will make it there one way or another!

My family and I are flying into Orlando the morning of the 5th and flying out on the 10th in the morning. I've been constantly checking up on the storm and the potential impact. Is anyone else going to be there during this time frame? I'm nervous but at the same time my family and I have been looking forward to this for month's now and if all we're going to get is some rain I think we're just going to roll the dice. What are other's doing during this time frame?

I'm flying in the 6th! Stay is through the 16th. My husband wants to see if we can move our trip back a week and maybe miss the bulk of the storm. I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

I'm flying in the 6th! Stay is through the 16th. My husband wants to see if we can move our trip back a week and maybe miss the bulk of the storm. I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

We fly in the day before and leave on the 10th I think we're just going to roll the dice and go for it. If worse comes to worse we will try to leave a day early on Saturday or just suck it up and ride it out....

My family and I are flying into Orlando the morning of the 5th and flying out on the 10th in the morning. I've been constantly checking up on the storm and the potential impact. Is anyone else going to be there during this time frame? I'm nervous but at the same time my family and I have been looking forward to this for month's now and if all we're going to get is some rain I think we're just going to roll the dice. What are other's doing during this time frame?
We are going the 7th through the 12th. If Irma does head straight for Florida, I think we will cancel our trip entirely. We will only be there for 5 nights, and Irma is likely to have an impact at least half of the time we are there. To me, it's not worth it. I'd rather postpone it.

Hurricane Irma is now a CAT 4. I realize that hurricanes wobble constantly, causing the tracking to be difficult at best.

What concerns me about this conversation is how Orlando is generally safe from direct hits, equating to little impact on everyday life. What is alarming are the comments regarding the size of Florida, and Orlando being " landlocked ", if you will. The mileage width of Florida is 361 miles. Length being around 417 miles.

IF Irma is a turd like Harvey was, and stalls... goes back out... makes landfall again... stalls... ummm. Epic flooding ensues.

Harvey's eye hit Rockport... The eye being the calmest. Rockport to Galveston is 255 miles. With that being said, Harvey travelled much further than the width of Florida, when you consider Beaumont and then Louisiana. :eek:

I'm not being a nay sayer here, I'm just truly concerned. I have cancelled our trip...not because of a few storms, but for the potential of catastrophic flooding.

Be safe, everyone and I do hope this monster storm wobbles her big fanny out to sea.

:grouphug:

What happened with Harvey won't happen with Irma. Hurricanes are steered by upper atmosphere winds...Harvey stalled because it was stuck between two stubborn high pressure systems of equal strength. This won't happen with Irma...there is a strong Jetstream and a low pressure system will be coming down from the north in the coming days which will steer Irma along it's ultimate path. The path will depend on how strong that low pressure system gets and how far south it dips. Once Irma makes its turn, it will move quickly.

IF they call for any type of impact on late Sunday/Monday (timing?), we will more than likely know something regarding evacuations on Saturday. For Matthew, which hit late Thursday-Friday, we were asked to vacate our cabin on Wednesday and mandatory by noon Thursday. Guests were sent to AoA. Also, from what I remember, guests that needed room extensions were accomodated at discounted rates.

Now, saying all that, I'd wait and see where they may/may not send you.

Btw, we will be there, as well...checking in this Friday. I sure know how to pick em' :rolleyes:

We are going the 7th through the 12th. If Irma does head straight for Florida, I think we will cancel our trip entirely. We will only be there for 5 nights, and Irma is likely to have an impact at least half of the time we are there. To me, it's not worth it. I'd rather postpone it.
Completely agree with what you are saying there. For my dates though it looks like if it does have an impact it will not be there until Saturday so we would only lose 1 day in the park and I would try to get a Saturday night flight out. We'll just see I guess.

its honestly way to early to tell anything right now. all the news and weather reports keep changing every hour.

i say tomorrow you will have a much better idea of whats going to happen. by Wednesday you will get all confirmations from airlines and airports of what will happen.

I fly in saturday morning as well :( its all a waiting game right now. regardless i will make it there one way or another!

I think Saturday is safe right now but yeah we'll know much better tomorrow and Wed.

Dude I'm the exact same dates!!

Like I said earlier, we'll be good until at least mid-day Saturday. We don't have to make decisions right now about changing flights or anything.

I consider us lucky since only the very end of our trips will be affected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter