Hurricane Irma?

Apparently me posting updated ECMWF, GFS, and NHA data makes me an expert. Where's my paycheck?

I just want people to stay informed. I haven't once said that this is the absolute path. I'm just posting data from world renowned hurricane model forecasting

Yeah, I don't get why anyone would object to you posting the most respected models as they are released. Are they outdated in a few hours? Sure, but we won't have anything better to go off until the next one is released, so some info is better than none!

If you are on a cruise, Irma may have made some of your destinations not visitable; my parents went on a cruise a year before and after a hurricane, and after the hurricane, all the island trees were gone . . . the hurricane leveled it.

I hope your cruise and destinations are all well and functioning on your trip. I love cruises.

I was just thinking it is going to be non destination cruises for awhile. I wouldn't mind that. I love at sea days.

Im about to cancel at sept 12 fast pass for Na'vi river ride at 7:30. pushed back our trip to the 13th due to irma.. just letting you all know so my fellow irma-concerned peeps can have first crack at it

Yeah, I don't get why anyone would object to you posting the most respected models as they are released. Are they outdated in a few hours? Sure, but we won't have anything better to go off until the next one is released, so some info is better than none!

I'd shake it off. There is so much snarkiness in this thread it's ridiculous. Seems everyone is being corrected, reprimanded or snarked at. Most definitly not the Disney spirit at all!

Last edited:
Ok, so let's say I decide to go to Disney for a trip, and have a hotel booked until Monday. If my flight home gets pushed out to say Tuesday/Wednesday, but there are no rooms available to stay, what can Disney do in that situation? or am I on my own?

So if my flight is cancelled, and I have no room, and no transportation to the airport, Disney is going to kick me to the curb? Just trying to understand. Not getting any answers from calling...too long of a wait right now.

We were there during Matthew last year. Based on our experience, the chances of that happening are pretty slim, not non-existent, but slim. We had nothing to do for about 24 hours of our trip other than sit around and talk to other guests and CMs. Remember, the fact that you are not able to get out because flights are cancelled or the airport is closed, also means that others are not able to get in. We made friends with some people that got stuck there 2 extra nights. They were told there were a lot of cancellations for people not coming in (some who could not get there with flights- and others who cancelled because they did not come with the storm coming) and had no trouble staying-- they were given a discounted rate (I think they asked for a discount- which it never hurts to ask- the most they can say is no). We also met some people who had been evacuated from Fort Wilderness and into resort rooms. I also recall some people that were told they would have rooms, but would probably have to move out of CL, but they wound up being able to stay in CL. I could be wrong, but I think the shelter with cots that someone talked about was for CMs. We talked to CMs that were running lobby activities and playing with kids, as well as some of the other CMs. I know they were all being kept on property. I remember some of them talking about being put in resort rooms. It seems like someone else was talking about an area where they were putting in beds for a whole lot of CMs to stay if necessary. I would not stress about not being able to find a room if you were to get stuck there. Based on our experience last year- that did not seem to be a problem- just look at this board and all the people who have already cancelled or moved their trips. It is never a sure thing that it will not be a problem, but I think there is a much greater chance that they will have a room for you, or will do something to help you. They really did the best they could to take care of the guests last year under the circumstances. What stinks is the extra cost of basically being stuck inside at a resort for another night or two.

We are supposed to arrive in Orlando Friday morning and fly back to Chicago MOnday night..

I guess it's time to cancel, huh??/ :(:guilty::guilty::guilty::guilty::guilty:

You have to do what you think is best for you, but if it were me, I would probably cancel. I think even if the hurricane veers east and skirts by, there is a good chance you are looking at a lot of rain and some wind.

I have to say, as a long-time weather nerd, these last two storms are the first time I've ever noticed the "general public" engaging in debates on non-weather forums about stuff like GFS vs Euro. It's very weird. I'm generally of the opinion that information is power, but it's also easy to quickly get in over your head with this stuff and come away with the wrong idea.

Even on meteorology forums (with pro and amateur meteorologists) it took me a long time to figure out the posters who knew what they were talking about vs those who just want to see the biggest possible storm.

I don't know what my point is here, really, except that it's important not to live and die by each "model run". I know it's difficult not to when it's going to potentially impact your life.

Believe it or not, the State of Florida has (as of May 2017) has a new evacuation plan.. it makes use of the shoulders of the highways & interstates. Apparently
Contraflow will only be used as a "last resort".

I'm wondering if they are rethinking this idea right about now...

Here is a link to what was published back in may with the details.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/transportation/fl-hurricane-one-way-evacuations-20170518-story.html
Wow, interesting. Thanks for the link. :)

My dates were 8-11th, room only reservation with MNSSHP. We were able to change our resort reservation +$140 reservation difference, which is okay. We connected pretty quickly, but I did dial the travel agent line (since I booked my own reservation). Next, I had to call the ticket center .... which kept getting a busy signal. Finally I got through right away but I guess it was guest relations and they transferred me to ticketing ... which was the busy signal. Finally got through after redialing and holding for 1.5 hours. They were able to switch my MNSSHP tickets for our new dates with no problem.

I just couldn't justify using up local resources when people are evacuating, even if Irma doesn't make landfall, the people would still be traveling back home.

Good luck to everyone else, I hope no matter your position, you stay safe :flower3:

Just adding in my experience so far...

I live in Kissimmee sort of by DAK Lodge. I had booked a trip to Vero Beach this weekend, checking in Friday and checking out Sunday. I held out as long as possible, but finally decided to cancel today. I just got off the phone. Waited less than a minute for an agent, who cancelled without question and refunded my full deposit. She DID mention that the wait time for Guest Services was over two hours earlier today... So if you're looking to cancel, it should be easy, but if you need anything more, of course, be prepared for long hold times.

Just adding in my experience so far...

I live in Kissimmee sort of by DAK Lodge. I had booked a trip to Vero Beach this weekend, checking in Friday and checking out Sunday. I held out as long as possible, but finally decided to cancel today. I just got off the phone. Waited less than a minute for an agent, who cancelled without question and refunded my full deposit. She DID mention that the wait time for Guest Services was over two hours earlier today... So if you're looking to cancel, it should be easy, but if you need anything more, of course, be prepared for long hold times.

I am a 2 hour hold now. The CM on the phone found us the military rate at the GF and the call cut off. Called back and it was gone. Holding to see if I can get some help as they are telling me no military rates at all for most of September.

Southwest Airlines updated their travel advisory. They are now through Sunday, Sept. 17th.
https://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory_2017841504542489393.html

I'm still waiting - I'm going to wait for awhile before deciding what to do. My trip is Mon. Sept. 11th with an arrival around 6pm (I had to look that up. LOL) and coming home on the last flight out on Sunday, Sept. 17. My husband is supposed to join me on Sept. 14th.

And yet, you are certain that the models are wrong.

No, I am simply pointing out models are educated guesses, not facts as some here are trying to present them. Frankly, many here are incorrectly using the term "model, " confusing it with term "tracking." That is represented by many of them making statements to the effect "the model is showing changes in....."

I am a 2 hour hold now. The CM on the phone found us the military rate at the GF and the call cut off. Called back and it was gone. Holding to see if I can get some help as they are telling me no military rates at all for most of September.
Your story is a cautionary tale of why people need to get names and if possible extension so they can get back to them if disconnected

Hopefully you can get your rate back

Any idea how far in advance either the airline or Orlando airport would give you if they cancel your flight/shut the airport down?

As someone who is now leaving at 4 in the afternoon on Saturday this makes me feel good about my decision.

As someone who was leaving at 4 in the afternoon on Sunday, this makes me think I may have been able to pull it off.

you can second guess yourself ad nauseum till the cows come home. lol I just changed our arrival from chicago from sept 12 to sept 13. just to be safe, and to lessen the possibility of sitting at Ohare airport on tues for many hours with delays. of the chance that MCO might be closed.
now will the storm have not as much affect on orlando as Ithink it might? yes will I kick myself for making a change, shortening our trip by 1 day? if it wasn't necessary? probably, but the reverse would also be true if I DIDN'T make the change and the worst DID happen.. once you make the decision.. it's done.. now we canstop stressing! :)

Going back pages to keep chewing that bone----

Actually, this post was in response to a pp's picture, and, at that time I was saying it came out in the news as truth!!
'At that time'! I wasn't far, so I remembered. So, 'later' they disproved it. Sheesh!
I believe you, maybe I took things the wrong way. I just want people to support others without any disapproval. Nobody will make all the correct decisions but they do so for a reason. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Looks like at this time the storm is heading your way , but may be north of you by Tuesday...:teleport:

Correct - 5pm NHC update included the following: " The threat of direct hurricane impacts in Florida over the weekend and early next week has increased. Hurricane watches could be issued for portions of the Florida Keys and the Florida peninsula on Thursday." Also, if the storm does hit Orlando yes, in all likelihood it will be out by Tuesday. But as the sage veterans of hurricanes here have pointed out, it's the aftermath that can be the most grueling phase and takes time to deal with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter