Hurricane Irma?

Your story is a cautionary tale of why people need to get names and if possible extension so they can get back to them if disconnected

Hopefully you can get your rate back
hhmm didin't think of that. after being on hold for so long, I asked the CM to take down my # incase we were disconnected.. she said she couldn't. but it didin't occur to me to take down HER extension! luckily we weren't cut off . Deena was the BEST!!!!! so patient and called Guest Relations twice for me while I was on hold . worked very hard for me and accomplished chopping off the first day of my room reservation with the same rate. I love deena!

Glad I got gas yesterday. Many stations down in SW Florida are now out of gas until they get another truck in.

Fingers crossed this storm just keeps pushing further and further East

Between Harvey and now Irma, I've learned more about hurricanes the past 2 weeks than I ever thought I would. I don't have a Disney trip being affected by Irma, but I'm watching this one closely and am sitting on edge because my sister just moved back to Orlando. And by just, I mean within the last week. I really hope the eye and the eyewall stay off the coast.

My uncle who booked the trip had been on hold for almost 4 hours with guest services to see if we can still get free dining if we move our trip next week. Plus my job is trying to work with me and change the schedule for next week this is stressful!

Let us know. So far I've only heard a no answer on free dining.

Just adding in my experience so far...

I live in Kissimmee sort of by DAK Lodge. I had booked a trip to Vero Beach this weekend, checking in Friday and checking out Sunday. I held out as long as possible, but finally decided to cancel today. I just got off the phone. Waited less than a minute for an agent, who cancelled without question and refunded my full deposit. She DID mention that the wait time for Guest Services was over two hours earlier today... So if you're looking to cancel, it should be easy, but if you need anything more, of course, be prepared for long hold times.

If you look at the latest NHC models, you'll see at least two of the tracks show Irma potentially bulldozing right up the coastline where Vero is.

The only site you need to look at is the NOAA-NHC website at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/. It has the most up to date information available.
NHC takes the ECMWF and the GFS into account when making their prediction, at certain times of the day the NHC updates after the ECMWF and GFS have come out. so your statement is not entirely accurate.

Well, if you can predict the future, don't hold out on us. When and where will it hit. We are all waiting to hear your insight.

Don't call me stupid for trying to plan ahead in case the storm moves. It's rude, unfair, and petty. Thanks.
Let me help you. The storm is a major storm. Its impact is STATEWIDE. The governor has issued an emergency for STATEWIDE. Do you really need more than that?

We were there during Matthew last year. Based on our experience, the chances of that happening are pretty slim, not non-existent, but slim. We had nothing to do for about 24 hours of our trip other than sit around and talk to other guests and CMs. Remember, the fact that you are not able to get out because flights are cancelled or the airport is closed, also means that others are not able to get in. We made friends with some people that got stuck there 2 extra nights. They were told there were a lot of cancellations for people not coming in (some who could not get there with flights- and others who cancelled because they did not come with the storm coming) and had no trouble staying-- they were given a discounted rate (I think they asked for a discount- which it never hurts to ask- the most they can say is no). We also met some people who had been evacuated from Fort Wilderness and into resort rooms. I also recall some people that were told they would have rooms, but would probably have to move out of CL, but they wound up being able to stay in CL. I could be wrong, but I think the shelter with cots that someone talked about was for CMs. We talked to CMs that were running lobby activities and playing with kids, as well as some of the other CMs. I know they were all being kept on property. I remember some of them talking about being put in resort rooms. It seems like someone else was talking about an area where they were putting in beds for a whole lot of CMs to stay if necessary. I would not stress about not being able to find a room if you were to get stuck there. Based on our experience last year- that did not seem to be a problem- just look at this board and all the people who have already cancelled or moved their trips. It is never a sure thing that it will not be a problem, but I think there is a much greater chance that they will have a room for you, or will do something to help you. They really did the best they could to take care of the guests last year under the circumstances. What stinks is the extra cost of basically being stuck inside at a resort for another night or two.

You have to do what you think is best for you, but if it were me, I would probably cancel. I think even if the hurricane veers east and skirts by, there is a good chance you are looking at a lot of rain and some wind.
It really doesn't matter but guests were definitely staying on cots. My husbands company (he works for) had 1000's of people there and some he knew were on cots.

We are supposed to fly down Sat 9/9. I called to cancel today and because I paid with gift cards the Disney rep didn't know if the amounts that I paid had to go back on each individual gift card or if the total amount would be refunded to one single gift card. She said she would have to transfer me to someone in billing - and when she did it was a recording, they gave me options 1,2 or 3... and I chose 2 for "existing reservation". Then it said sorry that extension is unavailable. So - I waited 45 mins for practically nothing. Still have reservations for the 9th-13th, don't know what I'm going to do. Might give it one more day and call again tomorrow. I doubt we will even be able to fly into Orlando on the 9th.

They refund back to each individual gift card, they also don't do them all at 1 time, I had to reschedule last year and the gift card refund process was a real pain.

Any idea how far in advance either the airline or Orlando airport would give you if they cancel your flight/shut the airport down?

I travel a lot and in my experience, the timing of weather related cancellations for storms like this are usually 12-24 hours out.

NHC takes the ECMWF and the GFS into account when making their prediction, at certain times of the day the NHC updates after the ECMWF and GFS have come out. so your statement is not entirely accurate.

That may be, but I would still trust data coming from NOAA more than any other site (or anything that anyone would repost here). At least one knows NOAA is credible.

I hope no one here is foolish enough to base their decision to cancel or postpone their upcoming trip on reposted secondhand data.

Last edited:
Maitland and Jacksonville are being shutdown on Friday. Schools are shuttered until Tuesday. Bridges close at 40 miles per hour and that is expected in Maitland and Jax so take that as you will.

So I'm east suburb of Atlanta. Should I get some preps? I've lived here 24 years and never had to consider prepping for hurricane.

So I'm east suburb of Atlanta. Should I get some preps? I've lived here 24 years and never had to consider prepping for hurricane.
That's amazing that you haven't had to prepare for a hurricane. I live in Connecticut and I plan every year. I haven't needed it for many, many years but it's good to be prepared. Don't you get hurricanes much more than the Northeast?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter