Hurricane Irma?

That's amazing that you haven't had to prepare for a hurricane. I live in Connecticut and I plan every year. I haven't needed it for many, many years but it's good to be prepared. Don't you get hurricanes much more than the Northeast?

Well I'm like 5 hours from the coast. Atlanta is north Georgia. So we have the whole state of South Carolina between us and ocean.

I changed my dates (finally after 3 hours!). The dates have not changed in mydisneyexperience though. However it does show my new balance (which is the amount i expected). Should i be worried?
No sometimes changes take up to 24 hours, after that I would call if it hasn't changed. Your balance is correct so you should be ok.

We decided to cancel our trip. We were coming in this Friday. I had to cancel flights and tickets and garden grocer. Garden grocer is keeping a 25% restocking fee. I am disappointed with their decision.

So cat 1 wind is expected in Maitland and Jax to last for 12-24 hours. for those that don't know Maitland is basically Orlando. Winds and rain and maybe power outages. Diz has their own power grid so that probably wont be too bad, but outlying locations may have a bad time. The rest of that area is going to have issues with all the hotel services.

It really doesn't matter but guests were definitely staying on cots. My husbands company (he works for) had 1000's of people there and some he knew were on cots.

That is interesting. That is the first I heard of guests on the cots- didn't seem to have any issues at YC/BC with rooms. I know even some of the resort CMs were in rooms, because one CM told me she didn't mind Hurricane Matthew so much because being in the resort room and having WDW provide her meals was nicer than her apartment. I wonder if they were in the same place as some of the CMs were staying on cots. Do you know what resort they had been staying in that they wound up on cots?

That is interesting. That is the first I heard of guests on the cots- didn't seem to have any issues at YC/BC with rooms. I know even some of the resort CMs were in rooms, because one CM told me she didn't mind Hurricane Matthew so much because being in the resort room and having WDW provide her meals was nicer than her apartment. I wonder if they were in the same place as some of the CMs were staying on cots. Do you know what resort they had been staying in that they wound up on cots?

Yes. It was at the convention center at Coronado springs. That is where my husbands convention was being held. It went on for two days but then they needed the center to put people.

I watched it all on periscope. That is a good tool for anyone wanting to visualize what is going on somewhere.

And no one at CSR was provided meals. They were served bologna and bread sandwiches for like $15 you had to stand in line for hours for that. There was a whole thread with pictures I'm sure we could scrounge up.

I am literally so stressed right now i could cry. I realize we are lucky and dealing with only a vacation and thankfully not our home (as others are here, many prayers with all of you) This was supposed to be a family trip between my DH, my DM and DD. She beat breast cancer earlier this year and we were going to celebrate! I have changed my flight with Delta (waiting 3.5 hours for a call back) to friday, to then learn there are ZERO rooms at WDW. and i asked from Value (where we were staying) all the way to deluxe. They have NOTHING open. At this point i am on hold trying to reschedule to November but my parents are so upset, and still want to continue down. I don't feel it's best for us to head down into a major hurricane when we in Kentucky have never experienced one. I am hoping that if i move my dates to the November free dining they will still keep my free dining for me. I am so upset, i work 3rd shift as a 9-1-1 dispatcher so moving my schedule for a vacation is not easy. Irma can suck it!!! I cant believe all this planning and watching my countdown has come to this :( good luck to everyone no matter your plans

I am literally so stressed right now i could cry. I realize we are lucky and dealing with only a vacation and thankfully not our home (as others are here, many prayers with all of you) This was supposed to be a family trip between my DH, my DM and DD. She beat breast cancer earlier this year and we were going to celebrate! I have changed my flight with Delta (waiting 3.5 hours for a call back) to friday, to then learn there are ZERO rooms at WDW. and i asked from Value (where we were staying) all the way to deluxe. They have NOTHING open. At this point i am on hold trying to reschedule to November but my parents are so upset, and still want to continue down. I don't feel it's best for us to head down into a major hurricane when we in Kentucky have never experienced one. I am hoping that if i move my dates to the November free dining they will still keep my free dining for me. I am so upset, i work 3rd shift as a 9-1-1 dispatcher so moving my schedule for a vacation is not easy. Irma can suck it!!! I cant believe all this planning and watching my countdown has come to this :( good luck to everyone no matter your plans
Have you considered a different hotel, maybe the airport until you can check in?

OCPS just posted, obviously giving parents time to decide if they want to leave or not after school Friday
Regarding Hurricane Irma, the school district will make a determination Thursday, Sept. 7 as to whether schools will be open or closed on Monday, Sept. 11, 2017.

Oh man. Our limited options just got more limited. Was hoping if we had to cancel we could lose the DVC res and instead book a cash trip off site the following week. But apparently the kennel we board our dogs at is going under construction that week. So it's take our chances and drive down this Saturday, or cancel the trip completely. We have until Friday to pull the trigger.

Have you considered a different hotel, maybe the airport until you can check in?

I did, I figured maybe stay at the Airport, but my DH said he doesn't want to be cooped up at the airport. Which i somewhat understand since we couldn't do the parks that day then. Then i'm also so scared to go into a storm of this magnitude and possibly put ourselves in danger or have half of our trip washed out between Irma and possibly Jose. We were set to depart 9/9-9/18. i was trying to leave 9/8 to be pre-cautionary thinking if we could get there we could figure it out. I've been reading this thread since it was in the single digits but never posted. So many unknowns are not helping!!!

She beat cancer, so this is a great year - no matter what happens with your trip. Be disappointed about the trip, but start planning a new one.

OCPS just posted, obviously giving parents time to decide if they want to leave or not after school Friday
Regarding Hurricane Irma, the school district will make a determination Thursday, Sept. 7 as to whether schools will be open or closed on Monday, Sept. 11, 2017.
This is what I was alluding to. Schools in Jax are releasing early tomorrow and closed on Friday to let people leave the area. Also closed on Monday as that is when it will hit hardest this area. Maitland (Orlando) the day before. It aint going to be all sunshine and dolewhips.

I'm really sorry this stinks. Just reschedule that trip, start a new countdown. You have your mom. My MIL had breast cancer as well. We planned an after chemo trip too. But she didn't make it. Hug your mom tight, give it a good cry, and start the plans over. It will be here before you know it!!!

I am cancelling for my family as we speak. THANK YOU, to all who have answered my questions, and eased my fears. For what it is worth, my family was due to arrive tomorrow, and I just spoke to a cast member who, without asking, said my deposit would be refunded, even though tomorrow was the check-in date. I didn't even need to ask. I think we need to give these cast members more credit. They are doing everything they can to make things right in this scary situation! Thoughts and prayers going out now to all those in Irma's path, including my uncles in Palm Beach County. <3

People need to stop worrying about the path. Florida is gettin affected no matter what. Unless sorcerer Mickey moves it away to sea himself. Stop watching the path. You'll go just. Look at weather.com. The forecast for the weekend in Orlando isn't too to bad. Winds up to 60 which I kno is still pretty high but the forecast for Miami is a lot worse. So I don't think Orlando will the affects as much as other parts of Florida. So just cause Miami abd the keys are gonna get whacked doesn't mean wde will.

Has anyone canceled their Disney package and it is still showing up on their my disney account as not canceled? I am starting to stress over all this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter