Huge Crane Next To Castle?!

Despite people chastising you for asking this, I think it is a wonderful question and very valid. Sure there are many other problems in the world, however, when you pay good money for a Disney Vacation, you would like to think you can get a picture of the iconic castle and/or you in front of the castle without a huge crane. I have lamented about that as well. But I will tell you, even when there is not construction, it is often there for putting up lights at Christmas and other times. I looked it up and can find no actual dates listed for completion. on Disney's site, it just says things are opening through 2014 so I'm thinking if you want no crane, avoid this year and avoid November when lights are going up on the castle in preparation for the holidays.

I do think you can get some side angles of the castle with your family. There are a few photos at other locations besides directly in front (like one hangs out near Crystal Palace), but I think you would just have to luck out that the crane was moved at that point. I would say, you yourself could find a side angle and just ask a person walking by to take a picture for you. It can be very frustrating. I still look at our November picture and lament at the crane!! I feel your pain. Good luck.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 My gosh, no kidding...what is the deal with people feeling this uncontrollable need to flame other ppl. who express something that is not ideal for them. :confused3:confused3:confused3 I wasn't aware that this was the "3rd world problems" forum...oh wait that's right it's not, it's the disboards and specifically a forum board about the theme park.:sad2:

OP, you asked and vented and very valid question/complaint. Hopefully it will be down for your trip, but regardless have a great trip!

Thank you so much for your ever so lovely opinion, I really appreciate your thoughts, they're great.
Although I don't think everything on this board is a first world problem, people posting about people dying, losing employment, losing homes, they're not first world problems, are they?

These boards are not offensive (mostly), the magnificent moderators nip those offensive comments in the bud very quickly.

And FYI, some people do come here to talk about real problems

ARGH!!! What is wrong with you? Not only is this the disboards, but this particular thread is in the theme park section of the forum...posts about ppl. dying, losing employment, losing homes etc., obviously do not belong here...which makes me very curious as to why in the world you even opened this thread and why on earth you couldn't control yourself enough to simply NOT post a rude unhelpful post?

The OP had every right to ask the question and to also not be happy about something.

Was there 2 weeks ago and was too busy enjoying myself to even notice. I'm sure the crane is in my pictures of the castle, but so what? What's the big deal?

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.

I also feel huge disappointment! This is the reason I feel that it matters!

We come from the UK and so it costs £1000s for us to fly across let alone the hotel stay for 2/3wks for example my trip in June is costing £13,700 for 3wks for my family!

Where as we can afford to do this every 2years or so MANY family's can not, it will be their only trip to the world, and every one dreams and gets excited about seeing the castle and having their 1st family pic in front of it, "JUST LIKE IN THE ADVERTS"
They don't however get excited about putting that picture with a huge ugly crane in, on the wall once home,
If they are going to use the castle as the main focus point of the park and adverts then that's how the castle should look! Truly don't think that is expecting too much, considering one the price of admission and 2, all he hype disney itself makes about the castle in the 1st place!

Actually that's the original crane that was used to build the castle. As the story goes...when finally completed, the castle and the crane became great friends which is why the crane still visits the castle regularly :hug: The End. pixiedust:

:rotfl: Classic! Love it!

We come from the UK and so it costs £1000s for us to fly across let alone the hotel stay for 2/3wks for example my trip in June is costing £13,700 for 3wks for my family!

Where as we can afford to do this every 2years or so MANY family's can not, it will be their only trip to the world, and every one dreams and gets excited about seeing the castle and having their 1st family pic in front of it, "JUST LIKE IN THE ADVERTS"
They don't however get excited about putting that picture with a huge ugly crane in, on the wall once home,
If they are going to use the castle as the main focus point of the park and adverts then that's how the castle should look! Truly don't think that is expecting too much, considering one the price of admission and 2, all he hype disney itself makes about the castle in the 1st place!

You get a bargain in the UK, you should try flying 24 to 34 hours and paying twice as much :goodvibes That's what it's like for we Aussies.

Rather than complain about the crane in the castle, we have travelled so far and paid so much, we just enjoy our holiday and make the most of it. I have the crane in many photos from over the years and come to think of it, in many of my friends and families photos too and to be honest, before this thread I've never even thought about it being an issue, it's just there, no big deal. It's not going to disturb my holiday.

ARGH!!! What is wrong with you? Not only is this the disboards, but this particular thread is in the theme park section of the forum...posts about ppl. dying, losing employment, losing homes etc., obviously do not belong here...which makes me very curious as to why in the world you even opened this thread and why on earth you couldn't control yourself enough to simply NOT post a rude unhelpful post?

The OP had every right to ask the question and to also not be happy about something.

Who yanked your chain?

Nothing is wrong with me, I didn't open the thread did I? I replied in a thread, on a forum.

I have an opinion, I will express it as I see fit.

Peanut.

Rude and unhelpful, get a grip.

Did I say that they didn't have the right to ask a question and not be happy about something?

I guess as Australians we take the option of looking at the bright side re most things and not letting a simple thing like a crane ruin our trip. As you can see by our posts, we enjoy a good laugh...especially when we pay 10's of $1000's of dollars to travel 32 hours to even get to wdw......an average cost for a family of 4 is aprox $35,000.... For a couple it's $22,000. For 3 weeks, at a value resort.....remember it is aprox $3000 per person just to get to wdw.....that's 12k just in airfare.....

may I suggest you check the change over times ie Halloween to Xmas , or the refurb schedule of the forecourt of the castle to see when they will be doing work. A little research does go a long way.......ignorance isn't an excuse as there are so many online resources to choose from. Oh, and when do you expect disney to do work re decorations or maintenance when the parks are open 365 days a year???? You expect things to be pristine, so maybe the crane is a necessary evil.......

We love our crane pictures.......:thumbsup2

YMMV.

The crane is mildly annoying but why not just choose a different spot for your family photo- the "front of the castle" pics are so overdone anyway.:confused3

We just got home last night from WDW. The cranes were up every day and by 7pm they were removed. So we always took nice family photos around that time. We did take a few photos with the cranes in the background. Wasn't pretty but I guess the work done to castle has to happen. We saw them painting the blue on. The silver was def a primer.

Not surprising. A subspecies to the Sandhill crane is native to Florida.
:thumbsup2 :lmao:

And I LOVED the, ummm, creative crane pics. ♥ I'm glad I'd just put down MY coffee :rotfl2:

Thanks for making my day a bit brighter. :goodvibes

Seriously, though, if it's there, it's there - make the best of it - maybe tell a story about Crane and his Castle. From what I've been reading here, our trip this time is going to be chock-full of 'constructively creative' photos from around the Hub. Add that to the changes already made, and it's going to be like a whole new park to us.

We were just there and there was THREE cranes up! yes, it was annoying, but they did put the big one down at dusk for the fireworks. Just move the picture to dusk time.

Also, the moats are empty and construction is everywhere, it is pretty annoying to be honest. BUt, I know I will be back so I am okay with it this time. However, I would be pretty annoyed if it was my only time to Disney.

All of my photos end up with a giant Crane behind the castle! Here's one I took last year...

disney-castlewithCrane.jpg

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

even now I still laugh.....well done magicbob, well done!

I'm pretty sure that the cranes are there to replace tiles on all the castle spires. following several WDW instagram accounts I've seen current pictures of the spires going from blue to silver. I'm not sure if the silver is new tiles or just the base color because I'd be surprised if they were changing the whole thing. anyway, whatever it is for it's just repairs, but will probably be a whole to get the whole castle done. too bad they can't do repairs and Christmas lights at the same time! Back to the question about good photos, we were there in September and there was a crane in MK every day but it was gone by 7 at least and still plenty bright enough for good photos. also there was one point of the trip where you could only see a small part of the crane at the very top of the castle from the traditional hub picture spot, so we took a horizontal family photo with not 100% of the castle in it (an easier solution to photoshop)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter