Huge Crane Next To Castle?!

aprilbabes

Mouseketeer
One of my favorite things to do at MK is to get into park before rope drop, take in the views and get some great family photos while it's fairly empty. I recently noticed in other peoples photos that there is a crane next to the castle! This is going to ruin my traditional family picture in front of the castle :(
Does anyone know how long they are doing construction?
Is there an angle that you can get a great picture without the crane in the background?

Don't have photoshop. Regardless of picture, I'm still hoping it's gone before we get there at the end of April because it's just an eyesore that detracts from the beauty of the castle.

If this is your biggest problem you're doing ok ;)

First world problems and all...

If this is your biggest problem you're doing ok ;)

First world problems and all...

Well at least I'm not on here complaining about FP+ and MB like everyone else. Just venting about something I find a little annoying. Certainly not saying it's going to ruin my trip.

aprilbabes said:
Well at least I'm not on here complaining about FP+ and MB like everyone else. Just venting about something I find a little annoying. Certainly not saying it's going to ruin my trip.

Amen!!!!! Its EXTREMELY annoying!

But you did say it was going to ruin your traditional family photo.
I agree with PP, if this is the worse thing to happen you are in good shape.:lmao:
Have Fun

Normally by the end of Feb the crane is history as they have taken all of the Xmas lights down by then, but I am hearing that Disney is doing maintenance on the Castle so the crane will be staying around for a bit longer...how much longer that bit is is unclear.

Don't have photoshop. Regardless of picture, I'm still hoping it's gone before we get there at the end of April because it's just an eyesore that detracts from the beauty of the castle.

I have read post saying it is coming down in march. It's not always up either. They take it down before wishes and if weather is not so good. It didn't really bother us in jan. We have a few pics with crane in it. No biggy, now we will know what time if year that pic was taken lol

One of my favorite things to do at MK is to get into park before rope drop, take in the views and get some great family photos while it's fairly empty. I recently noticed in other peoples photos that there is a crane next to the castle! This is going to ruin my traditional family picture in front of the castle :(
Is there an angle that you can get a great picture without the crane in the background?

It isn't always there -- we noticed it wasn't there at RD during EMH one morning... and then it was back. Or maybe there was just a perfect angle where it was blocked.

Despite people chastising you for asking this, I think it is a wonderful question and very valid. Sure there are many other problems in the world, however, when you pay good money for a Disney Vacation, you would like to think you can get a picture of the iconic castle and/or you in front of the castle without a huge crane. I have lamented about that as well. But I will tell you, even when there is not construction, it is often there for putting up lights at Christmas and other times. I looked it up and can find no actual dates listed for completion. on Disney's site, it just says things are opening through 2014 so I'm thinking if you want no crane, avoid this year and avoid November when lights are going up on the castle in preparation for the holidays.

I do think you can get some side angles of the castle with your family. There are a few photos at other locations besides directly in front (like one hangs out near Crystal Palace), but I think you would just have to luck out that the crane was moved at that point. I would say, you yourself could find a side angle and just ask a person walking by to take a picture for you. It can be very frustrating. I still look at our November picture and lament at the crane!! I feel your pain. Good luck.

We normally go in Dec, but went in Feb this year, so this was my first crane experience. I booked CP breakfast to get into MK early and get that great picture. Not only was the crane at the castle, but it was a gray, foggy morning. Not the beautiful, blue sky you want as a background. I still got the picture and it is definitely different than my other castle pics. Did it ruin my trip? Not even for 5 minutes. But we are going in Nov or Dec next year. :-)

Though it's not a show-stopper, I agree that it's annoying. It was in our pics from Feb 2013 and I Photoshop'd them out.

There are some free Photoshop-like programs you can download (legally) like Paint.Net - DH has used it to get rid of the crane for years! ;)

We're lucky enough to get to MK a couple of times a year and the crane still bothers us. I can't imagine how disappointing it must be to those who aren't there as much as us and really hope to see a normal castle.

when you get there,walk around the castle...look for the best angle that hides the crane....it's amazing what you can hide in a photo if you look carefully....:rotfl2:

when you get there,walk around the castle...look for the best angle that hides the crane....it's amazing what you can hide in a photo if you look carefully....:rotfl2:

This is so true. I tend to prefer something a little different to the routine traditional shots that 'everybody has'

If you're going to be there when the sun goes down the castle from the Fantasyland is beautiful. Stand away from the castle and close to the camera so that you don't appear as little specs in the frame to get the castle in.

Here's one from 2012 where I couldn't get the angle I wanted due to the scrims and there was something else going on there that I don't recall now, so I had to zoom in more than I'd wanted but managed to cut out the stuff I didn't want

Cinderella's back door by MisfitLee, on Flickr

I know it's disappointing. Our first trips were at Easter time and then we started going in September/October from 2010 and between the crane which became an almost permanent feature and all the scrims on Main Street with the construction and facades being done, you had to be so creative to get a decent photo if you didn't want all the 'extras'.

Something else you could do is wait until early evening as they do take the crane down a few hours before the fireworks.

the crane is in every photo I have had since 2008.......doesn't take away from the trip or the "magic" at all.

we actually like having it there.....its become an attraction i dont need a FP+ or MB for :)

pirate:

Isn't there also a crane there because of the construction at the Mine Train? Although that may be over by then.

I'm waiting for the complaint threads that will be here when they start working on the Hub.

My daughter's friend is there now. He sent a picture of himself in front of the castle from Main Street and I looked for the crane in the picture and I couldn't find it. If it is still up there are definitely angles to take the picture without it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter