Huge Crane Next To Castle?!

It doesn't matter what they do.... there will either be:

a. a thread complaining that everything is run down and in need of repair or
b. a thread complaining that things are getting repairs

best I can tell everyone wants everything repaired, repainted and spit shined ~ just right before they get there and not while they are there. Perhaps they should close the park for a couple weeks a year for maintenance.

Yep. Disney can't win when it comes to these things.

Wow... I'm seriously in shock over the ridiculous turn this thread has taken. My intention , when I originally posted, was simply to vent a little to people I thought would appreciate how I feel. My photographs are my absolute favorite souvenir and I have a family photo in front of the castle framed from our previous trips. I was simply expressing a little disappointment that I'd have a crane in this year's photo. I also really appreciate the constructive photography advice so many of you have offered. However, unlike many of the other posters that responded, I have a very clear perspective on things ,and in no way did I indicate that this was going to ruin my trip. I think people on here really need to relax. If you don't have anything helpful to say, save your time and don't say anything at all.

One of my favorite things to do at MK is to get into park before rope drop, take in the views and get some great family photos while it's fairly empty. I recently noticed in other peoples photos that there is a crane next to the castle! This is going to ruin my traditional family picture in front of the castle :(
Does anyone know how long they are doing construction?
Is there an angle that you can get a great picture without the crane in the background?

I read only the first few posts can understand the frustrations. However, I don't think any Disney World vacation is 100% perfect. Take the picture like your normally have and have the crane in there. And then remember that trip for what it was all about. Not the perfect picture, not the crane but the memories, the good times, the happiness, a crane is nothing compared to those.

Well at least I'm not on here complaining about FP+ and MB like everyone else. Just venting about something I find a little annoying. Certainly not saying it's going to ruin my trip.

Sorry that you had to deal with negativity. I tell my kids that Disney is a "non-negativity" place - no bad moods in Disney. This Disboards should be the same way - no negativity. There is enough of it in the world. We should be boosting people up - not knocking them down.

Enjoy your vacation at the most wonderful place on earth! I hope that you will get a great picture in front of the castle without a crane.

I don't remember once, and please quote me when you find it saying I was offended by the post, very much the opposite, I find it amusing, reread and then reread again.

Please remember this post next time your choking on a turkey leg at WDW all those poor starving African kids would love to be choking on a turkey leg just like that.

Now thanks for your opinion, i'll take it away with me and then i'll wipe my butt with it.

popcorn::pirate:

All of my photos end up with a giant Crane behind the castle! Here's one I took last year...

disney-castlewithCrane.jpg

And the year before that...

CraneCastle.jpg

NilesbehindCastle.jpg

On a serious note... these are not my best photoshop work (just something I tossed together on a lark in about 2 minutes), but if anyone would like help photoshopping cranes, etc. out of photos, please feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to do it for you (no charge).

Here's a sample from my trip to Milan. The Duomo (cathedral) was covered in scaffolding.

Duomocropped.jpg

Or was it?

Duomofixedcropped.jpg

Granted, I wasn't able to reconstruct it perfectly, but unless someone told you it was photoshopped, I don't think you'd notice. Also, wiping out a crane with sky behind it is a lot easier than getting rid of scaffolding in front of intricate architecture.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
All of my photos end up with a giant Crane behind the castle! Here's one I took last year...

CraneCastle.jpg

NilesbehindCastle.jpg

On a serious note... these are not my best photoshop work... just something I tossed together on a lark in about 2 minutes.

But if anyone would like help photoshopping cranes, etc. out of photos, please feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to do it for you (no charge).

Here's a sample from my trip to Milan. The Duomo (cathedral) was covered in scaffolding.

Duomocropped.jpg

Or was it?

Duomofixedcropped.jpg

Granted, I wasn't able to reconstruct it perfectly, but unless someone told you it was photoshopped, I don't think you'd notice. Also, wiping out a crane with sky behind it is a lot easier than getting rid of scaffolding in front of intricate architecture.

Is that a wire attached to the top of the castle?

Holy canoli, they need to get rid of it, ruining WDW vacations since...

I don't know, since it was put there.

Is that a wire attached to the top of the castle?

Holy canoli, they need to get rid of it, ruining WDW vacations since...

I don't know, since it was put there.

:rotfl2: You know, I almost photoshopped the wire out too! I think I have some castle photos that DO have the wire removed! :rotfl2:

magicbob you made me snort with laughter!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I survived the great birthday cake castle fiasco of 1997 and I have suffered no long term ill effects. Well, the fact that the trip cost me $20 000 had some medium term effects, but I paid my bills and still went back. And that was in the infancy of photoshop and I had a FILM camera!

Folks time to get back on topic.

BTW there is no need to include every photo image when replying to a post...just saying ;)

OP, If cranes or other eyesores are in your photos, you can use either photoshop or many similar free programs to eliminate them.

Cranes are usually not too hard to get rid of because there's usually only "sky" behind them and a simple "cloning" of the sky covers it up.

I'll reiterate my offer to photoshop anyone's pictures if you don't have a way to edit them yourself. Feel free to PM me.

P.S. Those of you who quoted me and included my rather large images (sorry for that)... you can always go back and edit your post to remove the repeated images.

As I think disnut8 said, include the crane in the picture. It won't always be there and may help to make that picture different from all the other pictures of the castle you've taken. That's the action I decided to take with my kids' pre-school pictures - goofy looking, not perfect, but a wonderful (and perhaps a little embarassing) memory of that time in their lives.

And thanks for the heads up so I'll be prepared for my upcoming trip! My plan is to include that crane in our mandatory castle pic.

As for the people who seem to think they need to pass judgement on your post/problem, ignore, ignore, ignore. Most of the time, people on these boards are helpful. ;)

princess:

OP I feel your pain as we leave for the happiest place on earth in about 5 days. No it won't ruin our trip, yes it's necessary...but would I rather it be gone - yes. It is what it is, refurbs are always happening.

Regardless, we can't let those negative vibes from others responding to this post make us feel bad for a little vent session!

Folks time to get back on topic.

BTW there is no need to include every photo image when replying to a post...just saying ;)

I think the "crane" pics are well worth including in replies.....a touch of humour is sometimes lacking on these boards so I like to celebrate it when I do find it :thumbsup2

Request magicbob...can you also do a Bob Crane for me :)

One of my favorite things to do at MK is to get into park before rope drop, take in the views and get some great family photos while it's fairly empty. I recently noticed in other peoples photos that there is a crane next to the castle! This is going to ruin my traditional family picture in front of the castle :(
Does anyone know how long they are doing construction?
Is there an angle that you can get a great picture without the crane in the background?

If it's still up, you should ask for a free night in the Grand Floridian!
Just Kidding, of course! It was up for our fall trip one year putting the Christmas lights on Cinderella's Castle. When I see our pics with the crane, it reminds me that I want to go during the holidays and see the lights! Just like Rapunzel's lanterns, only LED!

The best angle at that time was on the walkway from Liberty Square, but there was still a definite crane. But I don't remember having it in the night shots.

I wonder if it's from putting the finishing touches on the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train… Hopefully it will be down soon!

People mention photoshop often...but not everyone knows how to use it or is computer savvy at all.

I get it. It's frustrating OP. There's been some good advice here on how to get a pic without the crane if it's up. And sometimes they take it down during parts of the day, so you may be able to score a pic at random times. Best of luck and have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter