How bad does cheer competition make parks in early May?

I wasn't replying directly to your post, sorry that you thought I was.

I didn't think you were but posts don't exist in a vacuum. I replied directly to yours that I don't think people are wildly exaggerating you just got a good group of kids around you.

We joked at our last competition that no smoking was allowed strictly due to the amount of hairspray fumes that would likely blow the hotel off its foundation.

That is true, there are somethings worse than cheer crowds.

We were at CSR several years ago while some sort Little Miss "my daughter is prettier than your daughter" competition was going on. Every day at lunch, the food court was taken over by hundreds of three foot tall DIVAS in their ball gowns and their equally demanding entourages.

The first day it was fun to watch the arguments about why Stacie can't have more soda and the fit that followed. After that it was just continued yelling.

And you sure couldn't enjoy the pool either. Every evening the pool had a sheen of hairspray and makeup; enough to make the Exxon Valdez look small.

I didn't think you were but posts don't exist in a vacuum. I replied directly to yours that I don't think people are wildly exaggerating you just got a good group of kids around you.

And I think some do. Not necessarily this post, but it is a subject that seems to bring out the people to pile on. Ymmv.

I've stayed twice now at a resort at the same time as cheerleaders, and had no problem with them either time. I think some people greatly exaggerate how much they affect the rest of the guests. Or just a couple really bad apples stand out.
Count your self lucky very lucky. They can be very bad.

Are they still building the sports complex that is suppose to have event/convention hotel rooms as well? I heard about it back in 2013 but not since then. Suppose to be close to WWOS and not for families on vacation but rather all the money making teams that come into town for every single sport.
The only Project I'm aware of is the Flamingo Crossings project with the 2 Suite Hotels now open.

They are 3rd Party Hotels and they do have amenities for "teams" such as a Batting Cage,but they are open to anyone.:)

The only Project I'm aware of is the Flamingo Crossings project with the 2 Suite Hotels now open.

They are 3rd Party Hotels and they do have amenities for "teams" such as a Batting Cage,but they are open to anyone.:)

Maybe it didn't happen. There was talks of Disney building team facilities and housing for softball and baseball teams and then also open the housing up for cheer and other comps. The facilities would bring a summer camp and travel ball back to the area and Disney since some of the Orlando travel ball doesn't happen at ESPN.

We've been (a fairly long time ago) during it and I don't think it was the parks that were an issue, but definitely louder at the All Star where we and they were staying.

Thanks! Staying at POR. Is that a typical place for them to stay/ practice?

We will be there the same time as you for Summit. Our gym owner will not allow us to stay at All Stars, so we will be have 7 squads from our gym staying at POR, along with their families.
As far as practicing, I do not know where they will be practicing.

As of today, my daughter is going to the Summit (May 5-7) and will compete on Friday to try to get to Sunday. We will be in the parks Saturday. The Summit and Cheerleading Worlds is different from other competitions where ALL teams compete on two days. Some teams compete Friday with only top teams moving to finals on Sunday and some teams compete Saturday with only top teams moving to finals on Sunday. The teams that do not get to move forward to Sunday are probably going to be in the parks. Some may choose to watch the Sunday finals anyways. But if you are traveling from out of state and your team is eliminated on Friday or Saturday, I would be in the park! :)

The no stunting in the park or getting disqualified sounds like a Pop Warner rule. All Stars does not have that rule that I have ever heard and this is our 11th season. Perhaps some coaches say that to their teams to discourage them from stunting.

Cheerleading and Dance Worlds is the last weekend of April. http://usasf.net/worlds/worlds/

The Summit D1 is the first weekend of May. https://www.varsityallstar.com/the-summit

The Summit D2 is the second weekend of May. https://www.varsityallstar.com/D2-summit

Since we are a Tampa based gym, our gym chooses the commuter package, which means family stay wherever they want. Quite a few of our families have reservations at Shades of Green. A few families with reservations at Pop said they would cancel because of renovations they just found out about.

Last edited:
As of today, my daughter is going to the Summit (May 5-7) and will compete on Friday to try to get to Sunday. We will be in the parks Saturday. After this weekend, they may not compete Friday and just go straight to Sunday (hoping to upgrade to paid bid), so we would be in the park Friday and Saturday. The Summit and Cheerleading Worlds is different from other competitions where ALL teams compete on two days. Some teams compete Friday with only top teams moving to finals on Sunday and some teams compete Saturday with only top teams moving to finals on Sunday. The teams that do not get to move forward to Sunday are probably going to be in the parks. Some may choose to watch the Sunday finals anyways. But if you are traveling from out of state and your team is eliminated on Friday or Saturday, I would be in the park! :)

The no stunting in the park or getting disqualified sounds like a Pop Warner rule. All Stars does not have that rule that I have ever heard and this is our 11th season. Perhaps some coaches say that to their teams to discourage them from stunting.

Cheerleading and Dance Worlds is the last weekend of April. http://usasf.net/worlds/worlds/

The Summit D1 is the first weekend of May. https://www.varsityallstar.com/the-summit

The Summit D2 is the second weekend of May. https://www.varsityallstar.com/D2-summit

Since we are a Tampa based gym, our gym chooses the commuter package, which means family stay wherever they want. Quite a few of our families have reservations at Shades of Green. A few families with reservations at Pop said they would cancel because of renovations they just found out about.

Somebody should tell the Touring Plan people. Hopefully, the parents will remember to put clothes on their girls this time around.

Somebody should tell the Touring Plan people. Hopefully, the parents will remember to put clothes on their girls this time around.

I have no clue what you are trying to implying or why you replied to my post? It's not relevant to the conversation. Welcome to our backyard! Enjoy the Sunshine State!

Last edited:
We are going to Summit Cheer competition as well this year and we went last year all the way from California. Our gym has 7 teams coming to the competition and have some very strict rules set by our gym owner. Most of our teams are arriving on Wednesday the 3rd or Thursday 4th. We are all staying at the All-star resorts as are most of the cheerleaders. I would tell you that the weekend won't be too busy as most all are competing and watching. We have a private party Sunday night at HS. You will see the most cheerleaders in the parks MON-TUES with it tapering down as people go home Wednesday through the rest of the week. Unfortunately you will probably see them stunting to take pics around the parks but they are all for the most part very well behaved and will not be a nuisance like the South American kids are.

Thanks for this thread <3 We will be there May 2-13, and this is helpful to know when to go into the parks.

You shouldn't notice significant increases in crowds at the parks due to the cheer competition.

If you happen to be at one of the host resorts, it will either be quiet or crowded...they travel in packs you know.

The real issue isn't the crowds, it's the noise....
We got spirit,
Yes we do,
We got spirit,
How 'bout YOU!

Over and over, loud and proud. It was like an aroused tomcat was screaming while scratching his claws on a chalkboard.

Ha Ha you a so funny! It's NOT that TYPE of cheerleading. There are several types. This is All Star! in April and May! Only chanting would be normal teen chanting or singing. Things teens do to have fun and entertain themselves. It's cute, but yes can get annoying. I have seen random groups of non cheerleaders doing this as well, like singing on the bus. There are no chants in All Stars. They don't even have poms.

For the record, we will be at the competition and will not be staying at a Value. I rather not be at those resorts myself. Our gym lets us choose to stay where ever we want. I am on Disney property, just not at a value. I'd rather be someplace quiet away from the cheer crowd since we will get enough of that at WWoS. I also like to sleep early and possibly late when on vacation. 2 of the 4 days we will be there we will be at WWoS, not the parks.

Last edited:
Yes-all FLYING should be done at the Resort!:)

Aren't they amazing?!:)

2017 College National Champion Kentucky Wildcats
32371667606_0dcb30268c_c.jpg
'

Great pic of a great college team. :) Only flying I ever see at the park is a pose for a pic, not throwing baskets or real flying. I do not see anything wrong with a pose. Building an entire pyramid is different, that takes up a lot of space. Usually you just have a basic stunt position for a picture which in my opinion is not dangerous unless the person(s) attempting the skill for the very first time ever. Most of these girls have been doing this skills for 10 or more years and consider it a very basic skill. Now throwing true flying skills (baskets, tosses, release moves, etc) is a different story.

My daughter has been doing this for 11 years and have never heard this rumor about being disqualified. This may be a different style of cheer that states this (pop warner maybe) or coaches putting out false threats to keep the girls in line.

Last edited:
I mean there was a well reported all out fight between 2 pop warner teams one year at the all stars so just because you didn't experience it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. That's why I said some years it is great with no incidents and other years you get a bad apple group.

It shouldn't be a park issue other than happy kids :) Most of their competition schedules don't allow for a huge amount of time in the parks. Resorts will be effected so if you are concerned, try to stay at a resort that is a non-host.

Only flying I ever see at the park is a pose for a pic, not throwing baskets or real flying. I do not see anything wrong with a pose. Building an entire pyramid is different, that takes up a lot of space. Usually you just have a basic stunt position for a picture which in my opinion is not dangerous unless the person(s) attempting the skill for the very first time ever. Most of these girls have been doing this skills for 10 or more years and consider it a very basic skill.
:)
8707970269_2750c3acb4_c.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter