• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

How bad does cheer competition make parks in early May?

:)
8707970269_2750c3acb4_c.jpg
be68053a14a8b0a8502bfdee4a464de8.jpg

Sorry to me that's dangerous. When I was a CM in MK we were specifically told to use common sense but anything older than like a 7 year old shouldn't be in the air be it on someone's shoulders or being lifted. Sure they are pros but the people around them aren't. What happens when a little kid goes off running not paying attention and runs smack into one of the guys? That young woman would hit the concrete and pretty darn hard.

Sorry to me that's dangerous. When I was a CM in MK we were specifically told to use common sense but anything older than like a 7 year old shouldn't be in the air be it on someone's shoulders or being lifted. Sure they are pros but the people around them aren't. What happens when a little kid goes off running not paying attention and runs smack into one of the guys? That young woman would hit the concrete and pretty darn hard.
Yes,we were "scared" watching the Cheerleaders at RnRC-some CMs asked them to stop shortly after we walked up.
(They are very impressive with what they can do however!:))

8707970269_2750c3acb4_c.jpg

Of course since that's where we are staying, lol. ...what dates will the competitions be? We are there 5/8-5/15

Cheer competition run through May 14 at WWoW. Competitions are Friday to Sunday. Teams compete to make it to finals on Sunday. Some teams start Friday while others start Saturday. We are checking into Sports on the 5/11. That's where the organizer put our team. Some teams book away from the values. Some commute as others have said. All depends...on average you can expect about 950 teams each weekend for the May competitions.

I'm thinking there are designated fly practice zones that everyone knows about? All Stars makes total sense. I think the "not allowed" we were told about was like at the food court or inside buildings or at the pool (wet = not safe to fly). So again the photo you posted do not bother the organizers the teams are all being really respectful there and just practicing. Heck take the 5 minutes to enjoy a really awesome routine.

Thank you! We have plenty of rules and while I never excuse poor behavior the kids at these competitions beat out 1000's of teams to get there! 12,000 teams competed for 1881 invitations! The teams there are the top 15% in the country. They work hard to have the honor of being at the competition.

We stayed at all star music last year in early May and didn't notice the parks to be any more crowded than they were supposed to be, maybe just the food court in the mornings and evenings. We didn't have any problems with noise, we did see a couple groups practicing basic stuff outside which again wasn't a problem. I had no idea the competitions would be going on during our stay and thankfully it didn't matter!

We just got back from Universal and we noticed an increase in teens in the park on Wednesday May 3rd. It wasn't just cheerleaders there were some choirs and dance teams there as well (custom shirts). It did drive wait times from the 10-15 minute range to the 45-60 minute range.

They are everywhere this weekend lol. It was a noticeable change Thursday at the parks and POR. I don't know if that is normal with the weekend approaching or due to the influx of people for competitions.

They are everywhere this weekend lol.

Yes,yes they are!lol:)

Thousands upon thousands-the competition uses the HP Fieldhouse,the J Center and two ADDITIONAL huge "temporary structures" at WWoS as well as the Dance Competition at CBR!:)

I don't know if it was the cheer competition or Wishes or what but MK was a TP 8 yesterday which was as busy or busier than our spring break trip two years ago. The reason we go in May is the kids school has a teacher in service this week so we are taking them out only 3 days instead of 5 but since it's not any less crowded I think we're going to go back to March so we don't have to take them out at all.

The parks are viritually unaffected during the daytime.
That's when they are having the competitions.

They don't compete every day, so they are in the parks on their off days.

I will not go in to full detail about what happen but I almost died ( and I am no kidding) the only region why is that I was at first aid ( I was felling dehydrated ) took 2 nurses ( one was on break) to help me. I decided I could not stay so when I want to check out they asked me way I told then and they took me to a back room where they said they would let me stay at AKL, but part of it ( a good part of it was they kept me up from 1 am to about 5 am) was told they had kicked out a good number of them.

How can cheerleading going on at the resort make you dehydrated? Or was that a separate issue?

The no stunting in the park or getting disqualified sounds like a Pop Warner rule. All Stars does not have that rule that I have ever heard and this is our 11th season. Perhaps some coaches say that to their teams to discourage them from stunting.

No, it's a common sense rule - and enforced by Disney - and teams have been sent home early for that nonsense. (Or it has been reported as such on the DIS) Disney does not want the liability if someone gets hurt throwing a trick. No one does, so the parents and coaches should make it clear that it is irresponsible to do tricks outside of the practice and competition areas.

'

Great pic of a great college team. :) Only flying I ever see at the park is a pose for a pic, not throwing baskets or real flying. I do not see anything wrong with a pose. Building an entire pyramid is different, that takes up a lot of space. Usually you just have a basic stunt position for a picture which in my opinion is not dangerous unless the person(s) attempting the skill for the very first time ever. Most of these girls have been doing this skills for 10 or more years and consider it a very basic skill. Now throwing true flying skills (baskets, tosses, release moves, etc) is a different story.

My daughter has been doing this for 11 years and have never heard this rumor about being disqualified. This may be a different style of cheer that states this (pop warner maybe) or coaches putting out false threats to keep the girls in line.

All it takes is one bad step on an uneven surface and someone gets badly hurt. WDW is not flat - the surfaces are actually textured and slanted to promote drainage for the torrential summer downpours. It's not smart to do even the lifted poses at the parks, IMO.

How can cheerleading going on at the resort make you dehydrated? Or was that a separate issue?

/QUOTE]
I went too first aid because I felt dehydrated then I started to have other medical problems caused by the lack of sleep because of the horrible cheer leader keeping me up all night,

All it takes is one bad step on an uneven surface and someone gets badly hurt. WDW is not flat - the surfaces are actually textured and slanted to promote drainage for the torrential summer downpours. It's not smart to do even the lifted poses at the parks, IMO.

cheerleader are not to do stunts in the park they can get disqualifyed fro doing them if the CM feel like doing it,

I so wish they would as stunts are danguruse for those around then.

I was there 2 weeks ago when the cheer leader where there doing stunts a little boy saw then and try to do a stunt and got hurt luckily not too bad, his parent were right there and stayed to stop him right a way but it happened so fast they could not.

I guess I have been massively lucky. I've been to the parks a few times with many different cheer groups, and have never been bothered by them. No random cheering on the bus. No stunting by attractions. No ruckus at the resort to keep me up all night.

I guess I have been massively lucky. I've been to the parks a few times with many different cheer groups, and have never been bothered by them. No random cheering on the bus. No stunting by attractions. No ruckus at the resort to keep me up all night.
hang around the Cinderella castle and you will see them ( when the show or parade are not going on) and if you stay at value you are more likely to hear then ( exspshal all start spots in the football section facing the filed)

So, help me out here. I'm trying to narrow down dates for my 2018 trip and this thread and these crowd reports are driving me bonkers since I'd like to go in April/early May.

This weekend has been crowded with cheerleaders, but what about last weekend? There should have been two cheer/dance things going on then as well. Is it just that this Summit one is the BIG one? And what about the D2 summit thing next weekend...better or worse than this one?

Same here. I have seen groups of cheerleaders before while there and they have not been an issue. As I do whenever I'm at a park and there are large groups of any type I tour in a different rotation. If they seem to be concentrated in Adventureland, then I start in Tomorrowland, etc. I generally don't stay at resorts where there are large groups, so I have not experienced the crowds or noise. Last year we went from May 4 - 14 and we did not experience large groups at any of the parks.

Like many others have posted...... It's not necessarily the crowds being affected as it is the NOISE and unruly kids! We've gone during the cheer competitions a few times and some of the groups are well behaved..... BUT most of them are simply LOUD and annoying! :crazy2: Depending on the dates, you will see them in the parks the days after they compete. And it's the luck of the draw if you end up in a park that they are at. One year we went to HS and by noon we couldn't stand it any more.... the loud cheering waiting in line and just walking around.... so we hopped over to Epcot and it was fine there! So.... just roll with it! And hopefully you have park hoppers! and PRAY that there isn't a large group at your resort!!!! if there is.... be prepared to only sleep from 2am to 6am and eat at the parks!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

So, help me out here. I'm trying to narrow down dates for my 2018 trip and this thread and these crowd reports are driving me bonkers since I'd like to go in April/early May.

This weekend has been crowded with cheerleaders, but what about last weekend? There should have been two cheer/dance things going on then as well. Is it just that this Summit one is the BIG one? And what about the D2 summit thing next weekend...better or worse than this one?
There will always be groups at Disney that are loud and cheer not just the cheer leader, I would look into where you are staying and they to pick a moderate or deluxe if you can afford it, and look at the resort that you are staying at try not to have a room close to the pool have one with a parking lot view helps ( unless you are at a deluxe resort then it really dose not matter) I have gone dow 3 times the last week of April and only had problems one time, Yes I did see then in the parks I did see them doing stunts in the park yes they did move in big groups, but so dose ever tour group. my advice is to pick the best week that works with you and if you find they are causing a problem for your vacation that you can not do something about ( like if you are waiting to watch the parade and they are right next to you cheering doing stunts what ever and you can move then move, yes it is annoying) but if you can not do something go up to a CM and let them know in a nice way what is going on and see what they can do to help you, This not only works for the chear leader but anything else too. and some times the answer is we can not do anything but for the most part they will try to help the situation

Like many others have posted...... It's not necessarily the crowds being affected as it is the NOISE and unruly kids! We've gone during the cheer competitions a few times and some of the groups are well behaved..... BUT most of them are simply LOUD and annoying! :crazy2: Depending on the dates, you will see them in the parks the days after they compete. And it's the luck of the draw if you end up in a park that they are at. One year we went to HS and by noon we couldn't stand it any more.... the loud cheering waiting in line and just walking around.... so we hopped over to Epcot and it was fine there! So.... just roll with it! And hopefully you have park hoppers! and PRAY that there isn't a large group at your resort!!!! if there is.... be prepared to only sleep from 2am to 6am and eat at the parks!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Very hard to just switch parks with FP+, unless you want to not use your fastpasses for the park you are in, and wait at the other park until the times have gone by so you can try to get same day ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter