Honeymoon Lovers and Seafood Lovers take on Disney Dining! - dining plan analysis

I also read negative reviews on pasta from Sci-Fi but glad to read different opionion on it! I've been there lunch once and that was years ago.

Glad you enjoyed your lunch at Sci Fi and count me as another one who is pleasantly surprised to see a positive review of the pasta dish.

hey hey :) we're going back to sci fi this time... his request :) glad you liked it!! i'm excited about the cherry coke... they put so many cherries in mine last time!!

i had that smoothie in may and didn't like it. i should have finished my report and you would have known :laughing:

I love your reviews! It looks like you got to eat at quite a few great restaurants! I've heard lots of good things about that sangria from Kouzzina. We ended up having to cancel our meal at Kouzzina during our last trip but I might have to fit it in during our next trip! And now I might have to go on a hunt for that s'mores cupcake. Curses! ;)

Just got caught up! Sci fi vanilla coke sounds good, lol!!! :lmao: Ur DH's strawberry shake looks good too! & thanks for the tip on the smoothie.I'll stick w/ my blue ras slush.:goodvibes Glad you enjoyed ur meal @ SF. :thumbsup2 I love fantasmic! It is such an awesome show!!!

Yes, the vanilla coke was sooo good! Fantasmic was really good, I was so glad I finally got to see it!

We did Sci-Fi in May, for lunch. My youngest and I split that same pasta dish. I had also read some not great reviews for it, but was pleasantly surprised. It was good. Even splitting with no appies, we could not finish the whole thing. They were really nice about the splitting and brought it out already on two plates.

Terri

I agree, it was a really big dish! My DH finished it off for me ;)

I also read negative reviews on pasta from Sci-Fi but glad to read different opionion on it! I've been there lunch once and that was years ago.

I think they just changed the menu so it's one menu for lunch and dinner. So if you ever go again it doesn't really matter whether you do lunch or dinner!

Glad you enjoyed your lunch at Sci Fi and count me as another one who is pleasantly surprised to see a positive review of the pasta dish.

Yes, it was good :thumbsup2 Might just be a hit or miss thing... or maybe I'm less picky than most people.

hey hey :) we're going back to sci fi this time... his request :) glad you liked it!! i'm excited about the cherry coke... they put so many cherries in mine last time!!

i had that smoothie in may and didn't like it. i should have finished my report and you would have known :laughing:

Ooh, cherry coke would be good too... I had a hard time deciding between cherry or vanilla! And haha, I might not even have learned from your review about the smoothie... as you'll see later on, I ended up getting another smoothie in MK and it was the same way :rolleyes:

I love your reviews! It looks like you got to eat at quite a few great restaurants! I've heard lots of good things about that sangria from Kouzzina. We ended up having to cancel our meal at Kouzzina during our last trip but I might have to fit it in during our next trip! And now I might have to go on a hunt for that s'mores cupcake. Curses! ;)

Yes! I think a trip to the boardwalk is going to be a must on our future trips for both Kouzzina and that cupcake!

Yak and Yeti Counter Service

For our Animal Kingdom lunch we decided to try the Yak and Yeti Quick Service option. The seating area was nice, it was pretty empty because we ate around 11:15 am. We sat right next to this fountain:

P1000523.jpg

For my meal I got the honey chicken:
P1000521.jpg

This was good, but it was definitely very sweet. I gave it a 7.5 out of 10. It had a nice crunch to it and the flavor was pretty good. It was served with rice, but because of the type of container that they give you all the rice is on the bottom and it was really hard to mix it all up, so that was frustrating.

DH got the orange beef:
P1000522.jpg

He gave it a 6.5 out of 10 but I don't think he really liked it. I think there were onions in it, which he hates so that might have turned him off of it as well.

Here's the container the meals come in:

P1000525.jpg

For dessert we both got the frozen lemonade:

P1000524.jpg

Jason gave it a 7.5 out of 10, but I have to give it a 4 out of 10. It was just wayyy too sweet, not light and refreshing like the one we'd had at HS the day before. I ate maybe a third of it and threw the rest out.

Overall we'd give Yak and Yeti CS about a 6.5 out of 10. Not impressed with any of the AK CS places yet, so maybe next time we'll do a TS meal for lunch and go elsewhere for dinner.

We used two CS credits for this meal.

Honey Chicken: $9.99
Orange Beef: $10.99
Frozen Lemonade: $3.59
Frozen Lemonade: $3.59
Bottled Water: $2.50
Root Beer: $2.59

Total without tax: $33.25

Later on I grabbed a snack at Chip n Dale's cookie cabin, outside of the Festival of the Lion King. A root beer float:

P1000577.jpg

This was sooo good! It might have been my favorite snack of the week. It had substance but wasn't too filling, and it was refreshing and cooled you down. Basically just a typical root beer float but it hit the spot!

Everything looks so good! I would give the regular TS at Yak & Yeti a try - much better than the CS. I'm sad we missed it this trip.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Yak n Yeti QS option - the food looks so good!

I have always wondered what the root beer float was like so thanks for letting us know.

Becky! I finally read your dining review--- SO sorry it took me so long! Anyway, I wouldn't eat 80% of the food on here because I HATE seafood AND raspberries--- I think it's the one thing we don't have in common!!!

However, I want that Greek lasagna in my stomach NOW! Along with all of your cupcakes. :D (And actually, that honey chicken up there looks pretty tasty!)

Everything looks so good! I would give the regular TS at Yak & Yeti a try - much better than the CS. I'm sad we missed it this trip.

That's definitely in the plans for next trip! There are a few items on the TS Yak and Yeti that I'm dying to try, and I've read some really good reviews!

I'm glad you enjoyed the Yak n Yeti QS option - the food looks so good!

I have always wondered what the root beer float was like so thanks for letting us know.

You're welcome! The root beer float is great, especially on a hot day!

Becky! I finally read your dining review--- SO sorry it took me so long! Anyway, I wouldn't eat 80% of the food on here because I HATE seafood AND raspberries--- I think it's the one thing we don't have in common!!!

However, I want that Greek lasagna in my stomach NOW! Along with all of your cupcakes. :D (And actually, that honey chicken up there looks pretty tasty!)

Haha yeah, I guess that is one thing we don't have in common! Yes, the one bite of Greek lasagna that I had was really good! I definitely need to go back to Kouzzina. And I'm eager to try more cupcakes! :goodvibes

Second the comment on Y&Y TS. Really good.

My next trip is with my husband as well as my parents, so I'm going to give them a lot of say in where we eat - but I'm definitely pushing for Y&Y TS on our AK day, I've heard so many good things and I really want to try it!

T-REX

After spending the day in the Animal Kingdom we headed to Downtown Disney to have dinner before going to see the later showing of Cirque du Soleil. For dinner we chose T-REX: we had gone to the Rainforest Cafe before and had fun, and we like places with a cool atmosphere so we decided to give it a shot!

P1000584.jpg

We were seated right next to some triceratops. I mean you are literally right next to these dinos. And the move every so often too! So it was definitely a lot of fun, I thought we had an awesome seat.

P1000594.jpg

P1000587.jpg

The one thing I will say though is that toward the end of our meal, a little girl (maybe around 5?) came over to look at the dinos. Not really a big deal. She stood rather close to me for a minute or two and then scurried away. However, five or ten minutes later, as we were signing the check and all, she came back. And proceeded to pretty much climb on the ledge, partially on the dino, and just sit there. Which was right next to me, I mean she was pretty much inches from my face. We were done eating but it was still very bizarre. She didn't speak English, which I know because at one point she asked me my name in Spanish. I rustled up some of my high school Spanish and told her - she didn't say anything else. She was still sitting there when we left. The strangest (and most concerning) part is that I didn't see any adult in the nearby vicinity that seemed to be with her. :confused3

But on to the food. First we got drinks. This menu had lots of delicious sounding drink choices, though they were expensive. Most came with a "souvenir glass" which I'm sure boosts the price. I suppose you could ask for it without but that's the only way they were listed on the menu. I knew I definitely wanted a Cotton-tini, and I got the Tropical flavored one. This comes in a glass and it's just blue cotton candy. They then pour the alcohol over it and the cotton candy dissolves into the drink. Unfortunately I only have an after shot of this:

P1000590.jpg

It was really, really tasty. Very sweet, but if you like sweet then it was great. A little overpriced but I guess it is a "novelty."

DH had the "Cat 5", which had Citrus Vodka, Midori Melon Liquer, Malibu Coconut Rum, 99 Bananas Liquer, sweet & sour, and pineapple juice:

P1000588.jpg

Also very sweet, but good. Just overpriced. Yes, we were used to paying $8-$10 for these types of drinks at Disney, which is still expensive. This one was $14. At least it was 21 ounces and you got to keep the glass (woohoo, a cheesy glass with the store's logo on it), but still. We were on our honeymoon and had decided we would order whatever we wanted and not worry about $$, but I would never go to this place for alcohol again because it's just too much.

Since you can't use the dining plan here we decided to do an appetizer instead of dessert. We shared the Brachiosaurus Brushetta (Grilled eggplant, bruschetta tomatoes, herbed cheese and toasted focaccia bread drizzled with a balsamic glaze):

P1000595.jpg

This was really good, we gave it a 9 out of 10. What we should have done was just ordered a few apps here and shared them with our drinks. I LOVE brushetta and this one did not disappoint. As an appetizer it was a decent size, though I do wish they gave you a bit more for the price.

For my meal I got the Paleozoic Chicken Sandwich (Fried pizza dough with grilled chicken, lettuce, bacon, pepper jack cheese, avocado, tomato and lemon aioli), which I asked for without avocado:
P1000596.jpg

This was actually really good, I gave it a 9 out of 10. It didn't come with fries though, I had to sub those in for an extra fee (I think it comes with chips originally). Loved the combo of flavors, and the lemon aioli made the whole thing taste really great. A little kick with the pepperjack cheese. DH ended up eating half of this and he really liked the pizza dough and felt that was a unique touch, he really loved the pizza dough. The fries were good too.

DH ordered the Tribal Fish Tacos (Your choice of tempura fried or blackened grilled tender Mahi Mahi wrapped in corn tortillas and topped with red cabbage, fresh cilantro, pico de gallo and our T-REX avocado cream sauce):

P1000597.jpg

He gave them a 7 out of 10 and said that "they weren't remarkable." He ate about half of his plate and half of mine, which was fine with me as I was full anyway.

Overall we gave it an 8 out of 10. I felt that the food was good at T-REX and the atmosphere was fun, but the prices were high, even for Disney. We ordered some of the cheapest things on the menu - but it was still a bit much to pay $15 for just a chicken sandwich and not even get fries included with that. You are paying for the "experience," of course, and maybe it just got to me more here because we were paying OOP! So I'd say we would come back but maybe not for awhile... and probably not for an evening when we were looking to indulge on alcoholic drinks, although they certainly are fun and unique here.

We paid OOP for this meal.

Tropical Cotton-tini: $10.99
Cat 5: $13.99
Brachiousaurus Brushetta $9.59
Chicken Sandwich: $14.99
Add Waffle Fries: $1.99
Fish Tacos: $17.99

Total without tax and tip: $69.54
Total with tax: $74.06
Total with tax and tip: $87.06

Great review of T-Rex - the food looks yummy and yay on having an awesome seat!

As it does not accept the dining plan I would probably only try it if I was not on the plan.

A bit pricey for lunch, but as you said, it's for the experience and atmosphere. The food looked pretty good though, so I wouldn't mind paying as long as I enjoyed myself. It reminds me of rainforest cafe, but w/ dinosaurs. Very cool, and glad you had fun! :goodvibes

This is the 1 place we HAVE to go to for our dino loving son but we're dreading it! We're familiar with the over priced adequate food but since we're doing DLXDP its kinda killing me we're gonna spend so much on a meal that. The kids are gonna be too excited to eat anyways! Oh well,its a trip of a lifetime&my boy deserves dinos! Thanks for the review!

Great review of T-Rex - the food looks yummy and yay on having an awesome seat!

As it does not accept the dining plan I would probably only try it if I was not on the plan.

Yeah, I think if you're on the dining plan anyway it's not worth it to pay OOP for it unless it's like our situation - we were on the regular dining plan but wanted to do a few signatures but still wanted a sit down meal every night, so we knew we'd have to pay OOP for one or two dinners anyway.

A bit pricey for lunch, but as you said, it's for the experience and atmosphere. The food looked pretty good though, so I wouldn't mind paying as long as I enjoyed myself. It reminds me of rainforest cafe, but w/ dinosaurs. Very cool, and glad you had fun! :goodvibes

The food was actually better than expected, so that was a plus! And the atmosphere is definitely really cool.

This is the 1 place we HAVE to go to for our dino loving son but we're dreading it! We're familiar with the over priced adequate food but since we're doing DLXDP its kinda killing me we're gonna spend so much on a meal that. The kids are gonna be too excited to eat anyways! Oh well,its a trip of a lifetime&my boy deserves dinos! Thanks for the review!

At least you'll enjoy the atmosphere, the inside with all the dinos is really very cool looking! I think if we ever come back here it will be if I get to do a trip with my cousins - they are 5 right now but I'm hoping to take them to Disney in a few years and I think this would be the sort of place that they would love!

Les Chefs de France

For our second day in Epcot we ate at Les Chefs de France for lunch!

P1000612.jpg

My friend who is currently living in France had given us money to use here on our honeymoon registry. We decided to try it for lunch. Jason was also excited about this one because he likes to try "new" cuisines and wanted to sample some French food! The first ressies were at noon, which is when we had ours, so we were one of the first groups seated. The dining room is very pretty:

P1000614.jpg

We were also given a great table by the window! It was wonderful to be able to look out at Epcot while eating.

P1000616.jpg

When we were first seated we were presented with some delicious bread. This was really good!

P1000615.jpg

We paid for this OOP and decided to skip appetizers. We had been so full at every other meal and I really wanted to try some snacks around the World showcase!

I ordered the vegetarian lasagna (zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, onions and bell peppers baked into thin layers of pasta) :
P1000617.jpg

To be honest, I don't even know what I was thinking ordering this. I don't even like lasagna very much in general. Nothing else on the menu was really appealing to me.

Anyway, not surprisingly, I did not like it all that much. I give it a 6 out of 10. It was fine, but nothing special. I didn't expect quite so much tomato sauce (given that it's not even in the description, though I guess you assume since it's lasagna. But, I have had vegetarian lasagna that didn't use tomato sauce). I don't really care for tomato sauce. So, it was okay. I ate about 2/3 of it. If you like lasagna, you might have a better experience with it.

DH ordered the Crepe Florentine (large crepe filled with chicken, spinach, mushrooms and bechamel sauce):

P1000618.jpg

He really liked it and give it an 8.5 out of 10. There was some sort of cheese in it too that really added to the dish for him. He said it exceeded his expectations. I tried a bite and it was good, though I don't like mushrooms so if I got it I would've ordered without mushrooms.

For dessert we decided to split the creme brulee:

P1000620.jpg

This was great! DH gave it a 10 out of 10, I gave it a 9 out of 10. DH absolutely loved it. He says that it was "the most fantastic dessert I had in Disney World." It was also a really big portion, so it was good for sharing. He kept talking about that creme brulee for days!

Just as we were finishing dessert Remy started making his rounds! He was very cute and came over to interact a little with us:

P1000621-Copy.jpg

Overall we had very mixed opinions on Les Chefs de France, so I'm giving it a 7.5 out of 10. However, it was one of DH's favorite meals of the trip, and one of my least favorite. I know I'm partly to blame for what I ordered though. I would be willing to try it again to sample something different, especially so I could have some of that creme brulee again!

We paid OOP for this one since we were going to run out of TS credits and knew this would be a cheap meal. Since we didn't even get drinks and it was lunch, this was by far our cheapest TS meal!

Vegetable Lasagna: $14.99
Chicken Crepe: $14.79
Creme Brulee: $8.99

Total with tax: $41.30
Total with tax and tip: $48.30

Yay on getting a great seat at Chefs and being one of the first to be seated.

I was eyeing up your vegetable lasagne thinking it looked yummy but then read your review of it :confused3

I'm glad you enjoyed the creme brulee...if I ever return to Chefs I will have to remember to order this over the profiteroles.

Ha looks like I will stay with dinner at Les Chefs, that crepe looks like a hot pocket :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter