• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Honeymoon Lovers and Seafood Lovers take on Disney Dining! - dining plan analysis

Becky,

Just read read the whole TR. Seems like you and Jason had a fabulous honeymoon. Loved the food reviews. You went to alot of our favorite places. :) You also gave me some inspiration to maybe try some new ones.

We love 1900 PF for both breakfast and dinner. We had breakfast there in June during our site visit and fell in love with the juice. We are planning on having it at our reception. We are also doing the strawberry soup, since it is one of Paul's favorite food items. It is also really good on the cruises too!

What a fabulous start to what what is hopefully a very long and very happy life together. Congrats!

Becky,

Just read read the whole TR. Seems like you and Jason had a fabulous honeymoon. Loved the food reviews. You went to alot of our favorite places. :) You also gave me some inspiration to maybe try some new ones.

We love 1900 PF for both breakfast and dinner. We had breakfast there in June during our site visit and fell in love with the juice. We are planning on having it at our reception. We are also doing the strawberry soup, since it is one of Paul's favorite food items. It is also really good on the cruises too!

What a fabulous start to what what is hopefully a very long and very happy life together. Congrats!

Thanks for reading! We had some great food that week. The 1900 Park Fare breakfast was really good, I love that you're having the strawberry soup on your menu! That was delicious.

Ignore this post - it's all my math that probably isn't very interesting to you! Details in the next post!

all of the meals that we used the dining plan for and the items that counted towards it (so not including alcohol or our T-REX meal, other meals we didn't use credits for).

EOS: $20.94
Narcoossee's: $143.29
CHH: $31.34
CRT: $111.98
Bagel: $1.99
SS: $32.74
Magic Cookie Bar: $2.39
Coral Reef: $63.96
1900 PF: $44.71
Boardwalk Bakery: $7.98
Kouzzina: $64.85
PP: $24.75
Cupcake: $3.99
Smoothie: $3.39
YY: $33.25
Root Beer Float: $3.59
WS Snacks: $5.78
Akershus: $85.98
Riverside Mill: $25.36
Dole Whip: $3.99
Smoothie: $3.59
Tony's: $61.60
Riverside Mill: $19.56
Other Snacks: $15

Total: $816

Extras not covered by the dining plan (alcohol, tip):

Narcoosee's: $46.65
Coral Reef: $36.71
China Drinks: $12.49
1900 PF: $7.56
Kouzzina: $29.08
Sci-Fi: $57.72
T-REX: $87.06
Chefs de France $48.30
Wine Walk: $20
Akershus: $46.14
Tony's: $10.41

Total: $402.12

Things we wouldn't have bought if not for the dining plan (extra desserts when we were full, two drinks at CS):
EOS: $6.97
Narcoosee's: $16.29
CHH: $9.67
SS: $6.38
Magic Cookie Bar: $2.39
Coral Reef: $10.99
Kouzzina: $9.88
PP: $6.48
Smoothie: $3.39
YY: $9.68
Riverside Mill: $6.28
Smoothie: $3.59
Tony's: $4.49
Riverside: $8.78
Other Snacks: $6

Total: $111.25

Grand total:
$1218.12

Dining Plan Thoughts

We got the dining plan for free, so it was obviously a no-brainer for us. However, I am curious to see how much of a value it is and determine if it would be worth it on future trips. So I did some calculations.

The DDP was $45.99 per person per day. We had 8 days. So if we had paid for it, we would have paid $735.84.

Adding up everything we used the dining plan for (not including alcohol, tip, non-DDP meals), we spent $816. And that's with two CS meals we didn't even use. So it looks like the DDP was a good deal for us, right? We saved about $80!

But wait. There were definitely things that we ordered because it came with the meal and we wouldn't have gotten otherwise. When we order CS we always share a drink and never get dessert, so there were a lot of extra desserts and drinks. I calculate all of those to be worth about $111.25. So maybe the dining plan isn't worth it for us... now we're behind the game by about $30.

There were also plenty of things we might have done differently. Would I have been paying attention to the cost of my entree if it wasn't already paid for? Probably. Might we have ordered an appetizer instead of desserts? Almost definitely, a few times. So there's no way to know for sure.

Conclusion on the Dining Plan

I would do it again. Even if I subtract the things we would not have gotten without the DDP, we're still only $30 behind the cost of it. And for me, someone who is super budget conscious and always worrying about money, I think $30 for some peace of mind and not constantly fretting about how much something costs is definitely worth it. Unless we were on a super budget or something, I would almost certainly pay for the dining plan (though I prefer to get it for free!).

That being said, our next Disney trip we are staying at a timeshare off-property, so we have no choice but to go OOP! So if you stay tuned in about a year and a half I think that will actually be a better indication of whether or not the DDP is worth it to us! ;)

Also, for the two of us for 8 days, DDP and OOP, we spent a grand total of $1218 on food.

Stay tuned for my lists of best/worst meals and restaurants!

Lol I felt the same way about the dining plan. I'm pretty sure we saved money but at the same time probably wouldn't have ordered some of the things if they hadn't been included! However would also not hesitate to add it again if it was an option.

Congratulations! :goodvibes Thanks for sharing your reviews. I enjoyed catching up this morning while procrastinating on all the things I need to do today. Looks like you had some really great meals. :thumbsup2

Congratulations, both on your wedding and your excellent reviews, most interesting and useful.

Back to the wine walk, do you have to have particular wines? I ask because my daughter and I both prefer dry wines, preferably red (altho I think the rosa regale would go down well!)

Lol I felt the same way about the dining plan. I'm pretty sure we saved money but at the same time probably wouldn't have ordered some of the things if they hadn't been included! However would also not hesitate to add it again if it was an option.

When it's free you definitely can't go wrong! :thumbsup2 I think it's worth it not to have to worry about prices while you're actually on vacation, but I'll see how it goes next trip without it!

Congratulations! :goodvibes Thanks for sharing your reviews. I enjoyed catching up this morning while procrastinating on all the things I need to do today. Looks like you had some really great meals. :thumbsup2

Thank you! I'm glad I could help you procrastinate ;) We had some great food!

Congratulations, both on your wedding and your excellent reviews, most interesting and useful.

Back to the wine walk, do you have to have particular wines? I ask because my daughter and I both prefer dry wines, preferably red (altho I think the rosa regale would go down well!)

Thank you! I'm glad my reviews could be useful to you. As for the wine walk, unfortunately yes, you are limited to the specific wines that they give you. You can't make any substitutions. We both like sweet wines, but were willing to try whatever. From what I remember, the French wines were a white and red, both pretty dry, Italy had the sweet red (Rosa Regale) and a dry white, and Germany had two sweet whites. So if you prefer dry it might not be the best deal for you.

I struggle with the dining plan and the cost of it as well. I KNOW we wouldn't spend nearly as much on food if we weren't on it but I love to be on it and not have to worry about paying the bill or picking out a cheaper entree. So usually when the free dining promotion is on we end up upgrading to the DDXP because I love having the option to have an appetizer and/or dessert with my meals and the option to choose counter service or table service for each meal. All in all the dining plan to me is a great value if you use it properly but I do agree that we could spend way less on food if we were careful and paying OOP.

I struggle with the dining plan and the cost of it as well. I KNOW we wouldn't spend nearly as much on food if we weren't on it but I love to be on it and not have to worry about paying the bill or picking out a cheaper entree. So usually when the free dining promotion is on we end up upgrading to the DDXP because I love having the option to have an appetizer and/or dessert with my meals and the option to choose counter service or table service for each meal. All in all the dining plan to me is a great value if you use it properly but I do agree that we could spend way less on food if we were careful and paying OOP.

My wife and I both struggle with the savings of having to buy the dinning plan. We have for the most part stayed off of property because we can obtain free hotels that are nice and 10 minutes away. For a family affair we splurged last October (stayed at Fort Wilderness Cabins) and did like it as the DDP was included in the package. We found ourselves at times trying to keep up with reservations and lost some park time chasing them. Also I am a big eater and my wife is not. My daughter would be fine with a snack. We liked the cabins so well that we booked them again for the end of March. I did the math and splurging on where we wanted to eat the plan would be a break even if paid for. My daughter would be a waist of food unfortunately. We would save $150.00 plus OOP but the catch is the deal that we received is not beatable even getting 15% off and OPP. So hear we go, DDP but I'm not sad because we will do/eat things we normally would have passed up. The best values seem to be finding the 1 TS credit dinners that are the more expensive like Crystal Palace or like wise. I should add that my cardiologist does not approve of the DDP. Great review, was very fun to read!!!!!

Just finished reading all your reviews. You did a great job and the pictures were really nice. I like how you did a cost analysis too. I find it really annoying that you have to get a desert. My DF doesn't like sweets all that much and personally there were times I would have prefered to get a sweet elsewhere. But we felt tied to the plan. I think you should have an option of appetizer or desert. I could have sworn that's what they did when I went in 2008.

Anyhow, great reviews and it gave me lots of ideas for our trip. Congratulations on your marriage!!!

I enjoyed reading!!! Thank you for sharing! My hubby and I honeymooned in Disney also and it was the best trip I have ever taken! I hope you are enjoying married life! :bitelip:

librarygeek this was a GREAT honeymoon trip review. Thanks for posting such detailed dining reviews. I really enjoyed reading your TR.

I linked to this through a newer review, and I love it! We honeymooned with free dining in May of 2011. I really loved your end analysis. I totally kept every receipt and detailed out the numbers to see if the plan was "worth it". I didn't know other people did such things. :rotfl: I totally forgot to take pics the whole time I was there so I never posted a review. We visited almost all different places than you though! Kinda weird

Yeah, though I totally agree with you about the convenience of it. I would love to try the DDXP but I'm afraid it would be too much food! I felt so full just from the regular one. But I like being able to get an appetizer - I wish the regular one offered the choice or an appetizer or dessert.

My wife and I both struggle with the savings of having to buy the dinning plan. We have for the most part stayed off of property because we can obtain free hotels that are nice and 10 minutes away. For a family affair we splurged last October (stayed at Fort Wilderness Cabins) and did like it as the DDP was included in the package. We found ourselves at times trying to keep up with reservations and lost some park time chasing them. Also I am a big eater and my wife is not. My daughter would be fine with a snack. We liked the cabins so well that we booked them again for the end of March. I did the math and splurging on where we wanted to eat the plan would be a break even if paid for. My daughter would be a waist of food unfortunately. We would save $150.00 plus OOP but the catch is the deal that we received is not beatable even getting 15% off and OPP. So hear we go, DDP but I'm not sad because we will do/eat things we normally would have passed up. The best values seem to be finding the 1 TS credit dinners that are the more expensive like Crystal Palace or like wise. I should add that my cardiologist does not approve of the DDP. Great review, was very fun to read!!!!!

I agree, you can get some really good deals with the 1 TS credits - places like Crystal Palace and Akershus. The character meals especially pay off!

Just finished reading all your reviews. You did a great job and the pictures were really nice. I like how you did a cost analysis too. I find it really annoying that you have to get a desert. My DF doesn't like sweets all that much and personally there were times I would have prefered to get a sweet elsewhere. But we felt tied to the plan. I think you should have an option of appetizer or desert. I could have sworn that's what they did when I went in 2008.

Anyhow, great reviews and it gave me lots of ideas for our trip. Congratulations on your marriage!!!

Yes, I know exactly what you mean! Having the choice would be nice, as not everyone wants sweets with every meal.

I enjoyed reading!!! Thank you for sharing! My hubby and I honeymooned in Disney also and it was the best trip I have ever taken! I hope you are enjoying married life! :bitelip:

Thank you! Married life has been great so far, we had our two year anniversary a few months ago! Honeymooning in Disney is definitely fantastic!

librarygeek this was a GREAT honeymoon trip review. Thanks for posting such detailed dining reviews. I really enjoyed reading your TR.

Thanks so much, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :goodvibes

I linked to this through a newer review, and I love it! We honeymooned with free dining in May of 2011. I really loved your end analysis. I totally kept every receipt and detailed out the numbers to see if the plan was "worth it". I didn't know other people did such things. :rotfl: I totally forgot to take pics the whole time I was there so I never posted a review. We visited almost all different places than you though! Kinda weird

Haha I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one keeping such meticulous track of things! This past year I got an annual pass since I was taking multiple trips, and I got the Tables in Wonderland card. I have a spreadsheet of all the various savings I've gotten with it to see how much it paid off ;)

Can't believe I'm just finding this report, excellent! Totally spot on with meal reviews, esp. Chefs de France.

Can't believe I'm just finding this report, excellent! Totally spot on with meal reviews, esp. Chefs de France.

Agreed! Found this while doing a search for Chefs de France... very helpful, even years later! :-) I wish Kouzzina was still around... but doesn't appear to be?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter