• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Highway in the Sky Dine Around with Wishes viewing area

I'm glad they sort of put it back right (strange about the cordials). Unfortunately count me in the burned camp with @HopperFan - we were told it wasn't going back and so my wife and I discussed it, found a reservation at Flying Fish for Valentine's Day, and cancelled because the value wasn't there. Of course, someone had my Valentine's Day reservation for 2 gone within 30 minutes of me cancelling it. Oh well, live and learn. I'm sure we'll have a great time at dinner regardless.

However, I'm a bit peeved because the lady I spoke with specifically told me that the Tea Room was no longer available, thus making the change necessary. That it seems was a complete and utter lie.

I'm glad they sort of put it back right (strange about the cordials). Unfortunately count me in the burned camp with @HopperFan - we were told it wasn't going back and so my wife and I discussed it, found a reservation at Flying Fish for Valentine's Day, and cancelled because the value wasn't there. Of course, someone had my Valentine's Day reservation for 2 gone within 30 minutes of me cancelling it. Oh well, live and learn. I'm sure we'll have a great time at dinner regardless.

I was wondering the same thing!

Yes I thought the cordials were a perfect touch with the desserts for the "finale" .... so what did they have to drink other than coffee.

I hope they 'forgot' to bring them out tonight because I thought the cordials were part of the 'wow' and 'special' factor as well.
It's possible that they just didn't make it out tonight because the decision was last minute. They didn't call me until the event was under way to say it was being restored to the original. They aren't a deal breaker for us, but I do hope they come back.

They had a premixed coffee/liquor combination. Something like Bailey's but I can't remember exactly.

Oh ...... and what about the desserts? If they had cheese course, did they still have cheese at end or did they bring back desserts?

Oh ...... and what about the desserts? If they had cheese course, did they still have cheese at end or did they bring back desserts?

No additional cheese at the end and it looked like 2 desserts. I got a special bag of gluten free options, 2 mini whoopie pie like treats. And everyone got the gift box with 2 chocolates as they left.

I'm just still shocked enough people complained that they put it back. It must have been enough cancellations/threats of cancellation to make the event border on unprofitable. Anyways, like I said before I'm happy for the people who booked it. Hopefully it gets extended and my wife and I can hit it up on our next trip to WDW. I doubt we are getting our Valentine's Day reservation back.

I'm just still shocked enough people complained that they put it back. It must have been enough cancellations/threats of cancellation to make the event border on unprofitable. Anyways, like I said before I'm happy for the people who booked it. Hopefully it gets extended and my wife and I can hit it up on our next trip to WDW. I doubt we are getting our Valentine's Day reservation back.

JUST MY OPINION (and imagination):
- Events made a decision that would make it easier for them to host and create a large profit margin for their profit center.
- In their minds the event is sold out and will continue to sell out so ...... why not?
- George is obviously all about upsells; and so far several have had some growing pains.
- Some events went perfect (MK EMM), some needed some adjusting (DAH) and some may have failed (don't know yet but DHS EMM & cabanas).
- Universal's new campaign is directed right at adults. Disney has to stay in that game.
- This is a great adult offering, one that can expand especially to Epcot resorts or World Showcase, maybe even AK with ROL seats.
- These events could be like F&W, where folks will visit specifically for them (I was).
- George had no idea they made the change.
- When everyone started emailing CC George, he got wind of the Event Team change.
- George doesn't want a huge hit to all of a sudden have negative publicity.
- Poo hit the fan, Events were told to fix it fast before it's too late.

Last edited:
Seriously after their people told folks on the phone that it will not be reversed back. That all their feedback was people like the new way.

SO ............. obviously the negative feedback way outnumbered the positive? Or was that just a story they made up to try to keep Highway in the Sky Lite.

And I am cancelled and my night is full. Congrats to whoever picked it up!

Oh well, I will still write my letter tomorrow to explain why I cancelled and maybe they need to have better discussions on potential ramifications before they try to pocket more money at every turn.

Just so you don't miss this @gillep, keep watching for April if this holds true.

Thanks HopperFan!!! I think I am out regardless, unless my husband comes up with a super convincing argument. I don't like the idea of all of the changes and the poor communication, including the bizarre idea that people could enjoy drinking champagne from plastic flutes on a moving stinky monorail, and actually expressed this enjoyment to Disney in any sort of numbers, especially compared to the previous incarnation! I still find a lot of value in Disney, and it still works as a great vacation destination for my family, I am just no longer excited about, or comfortable booking this. My husband and I usually do pretty well on our own, so we know our DIY recreation will be excellent!!! I hope that all who do book this enjoy it immensely, as it does look like a well curated experience in its original form.

Hope they open reservations for April soon! This sounds like the perfect event for our "splurge night."

Thanks for all the explanations. I still don't know my dates for March, but its cool, I'm used to last minute, but was hoping I might be able to get a last minute cancellation, and then I saw the changes, and now its back to the original billing (seemingly), so, the mind reels. Anyhow, I appreciate the up to date information.

One question, several have mentioned the size of the group, and I don't tend to be terribly social in settings like this, I do cocktail parties for work, they pay me to do it; I've eaten my body weight many times over in canapes. I'm not much for chit chat on my own time. Other than normal pleasantries/discussions on the food/wine pairings, how "chatty" is this event?

One question, several have mentioned the size of the group, and I don't tend to be terribly social in settings like this, I do cocktail parties for work, they pay me to do it; I've eaten my body weight many times over in canapes. I'm not much for chit chat on my own time. Other than normal pleasantries/discussions on the food/wine pairings, how "chatty" is this event?
Our group was right at 24. I have seen 25 - 30 posted from other people. (However I thought it was capped at 24?) The event is wonderfully social since the group seems to be like-minded in their enjoyment of Disney. It is really more like multiple small group gatherings. One of the attendees I met also attended solo. We hit it off and had a ball at each location. At each venue you are able to sit with the same group or different people, if you like. We felt like fast friends with a number of guests by the time we reached the Grand Floridian! However, you can just smile and enjoy the event. No pressure to talk ... :p

Last edited:
Our group was right at 24. I have seen 25 - 30 posted from other people. (However I thought it was capped at 24?) The event is wonderfully social since the group seems to be like-minded in their enjoyment of Disney. It is really more like multiple small group gatherings. One of the attendees I met also attended solo. We hit it off and had a ball at each location. At each venue you are able to sit with the same group or different people, if you like. We felt like fast friends with a number of guests by the time we reached the Grand Floridian! However, you can just smile and enjoy the event. No pressure to talk ... :p

Thanks, I'm always happy to talk about food/drinks. I just think about countless flights stuck next to people that are talking to me about nonsense with my earphones on. I don't feel bad about it either:) Likeminded Disney fans wouldn't feel like a work function. But it sounds like if people start talking about sportsball I can zone out with a nod and a mouthful of food.

George's office called me today to let me know the original format was reinstated. I told them I appreciated the call and that I had heard about it on the DisBoards. I told him to please let George know I appreciate it that it was put back. The CM that called me seemed pretty excited it was reinstated too. :) pixiedust:

I hope they 'forgot' to bring them out tonight because I thought the cordials were part of the 'wow' and 'special' factor as well.
Especially since they had my favorite drink (from photos) ... amaretto. :p That would be my perfect ending.

Oh, I agree about the cordials! EVERY location included an adult beverage in the original version of the event.

1) The Wave = Bay Lake Sunset Signature Cocktail
2) Trader Sams = Hippo-poto-maitai
3) Citricos = One red wine pour plus One chardonnay pour (or a double pour of either)
4) Garden View Room = Fairytale Cuvee champagne (multiple glasses as desired)
5) Contemporary Wishes Viewing = Coffee and choice of cordials Amaretto, Kahlua, Bailey's from memory... possibly a few more?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter