• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Highway in the Sky Dine Around with Wishes viewing area

I am not trying to be inflammatory, but is fireworks viewing on the 4th floor deck really included/listed as a resort amenity? Or said a different way, is that viewing location for resort guests only?
No, but one could be a bit miffed if you are staying there and go up to watch the fireworks to find the prime viewing section roped off for this event. Will it ruin your vacation? I hope not. What I think you are seeing is a cumulative frustration with some people (like myself) where it seems like Disney going all in on these paid add-ons or specials. I've made my point that they should be focusing on base experience and improving that as opposed to all of these specials they are heavily promoting. Now the ones that particularly don't sit well with me is when they remove something that was available to all (Riverboat, this viewing area, parade viewing areas) to make way for these events. That has a negative impact on the "regular" guest. If an event was designed from the beginning to have a special VIP section or an attraction was built with set hours to accommodate a special event time that regularly happens I'm OK with it. But what a lot of these events are doing is shoehorning them into a all ready established experience and making them special at some cost to the normal guest. All so Disney can make money off it. Specials like the express transportation for people with hoppers doesn't effect the base experience and so something like that I don't make as much as a fuss about but it still goes to the point of just more add ons instead of offering a new show, or more park hours, or better CM training. Items that everyone who goes to the parks will benefit from.

I went last night!!!! I couldn't figure out how to post pics but I saw you got some off of Instagram. It was worth the money!!!! We had 3 guides that always stayed with us, plus the management team from the current resort. Drinks were full pours, but only one per person, until we got to the champagne (which was the Fairytale) and the cordials. Those places it was all you could drink. Food was amazing!!!! Most of the group agreeed that the pork belly was the best app, and everyone enjoyed Citricous. We actually sat in the restaurant to eat there, everywhere else we were off to the side. They accomadated all allergies. And they didn't completely close the 4th floor deck at the Contemporary, we only had a small portion. But, they put seats for us to sit and watch the fireworks. The only downside, if there is one, was the wait for the monorail, it was packed last night. They did have a boat standing by to put us on, in case of emergency, but they almost put us on it between the Poly and Grand, because the line was all the way back to the gift shop in the Poly. There was a guy there from Disney Food Blog, he took lots of pics and asked lots of questions, so I'm sure his review will be awesome. It was limited to 25 people. It was also a late night, we got to Contemporary just in time for the fireworks. I'll try to answer any questions, I did take some notes, lol!!!! By the way, it was a lot of alcohol!!!!! Full pours plus both red and white wine with dinner!!!! Non Alcoholic was available upon request.

Thanks for filling in the blanks. Sounds like it went fairly smooth for first time. Good idea on a boat on standby but maybe that should be part of it before fireworks to make sure you have a bit more time. From the instagram photos seems like not much time for desserts before the fireworks. Although monorail is easier to drop you right at viewing area. Oh, he did say something about special photographer, since he wasn't a Disney wondered who he was, will have to watch DFB. We are excited about this!

Honestly, last night, there wasn't even that many people on the deck besides us. Plus, it's not really different then a large group or family waiting there for an hour or so to get the prime spot. Even if you were staying there, you're not guaranteed the best spot on the deck. The only difference this time was it was roped off and signed. I doubt you would even get a full refund for the entire night since it's not a listed perk for Contemporary guest only.

Honestly, last night, there wasn't even that many people on the deck besides us. Plus, it's not really different then a large group or family waiting there for an hour or so to get the prime spot. Even if you were staying there, you're not guaranteed the best spot on the deck. The only difference this time was it was roped off and signed. I doubt you would even get a full refund for the entire night since it's not a listed perk for Contemporary guest only.

Disney has always allowed guests from other resorts and offsite to enjoy some resort spaces and activities. Poly Beach, CR 4th Floor, Campfires at Ft Wilderness, Transportation system, Movies at resorts ..... long list of open arms.

The message I take is these areas are open to anyone to use, and if Disney decides to host private events on their own spaces, that is their choice to do. These extras are not just random decisions, am sure they are all tied to Guest surveys and comments. The fact that 4 mos sold out in 24 hours tells them Guests are interested in these, and it would make sense to offer more options like this.

Well darn, wouldn't you know we decided at the last minute to take a trip the 19th through the 23rd. I haven't looked but I'm assuming this is all booked, it is something we would love. My only worry would be transport back to the resort after, I wouldn't want to drive after all that alcohol, we are staying at the Dolphin so if we could get to MK before the buses stopped running it would be great. Oh well, I'll keep looking to see if anything opens up.

Well darn, wouldn't you know we decided at the last minute to take a trip the 19th through the 23rd. I haven't looked but I'm assuming this is all booked, it is something we would love. My only worry would be transport back to the resort after, I wouldn't want to drive after all that alcohol, we are staying at the Dolphin so if we could get to MK before the buses stopped running it would be great. Oh well, I'll keep looking to see if anything opens up.

Given that this is over shortly after fireworks, you could easily walk to the bus depot and get back to your resort. MK usually does not close after fireworks and even after closing buses run for an hour or so to allow for shoppers/diners.

THAT SAID: We are booked in March because we are heading down for a special event at Universal. I was going to stay offsite. But this may have me moving onsite. To me the biggest benefit of staying onsite is the DDBD! Disney Designated Bus Driver. Disney keeps putting stuff out there like this, CV etc .... I may be on property more than normal.

Last edited:

I quickly scanned this post so may have missed this, but what is the starting time on this event? My friends and I routinely do "Monorail Crawls" and I know how long it takes to get around normally, but I'm curious how they can spin back around to the Contemporary for 10pm Wishes.

What part of the deck was roped off?

I quickly scanned this post so may have missed this, but what is the starting time on this event? My friends and I routinely do "Monorail Crawls" and I know how long it takes to get around normally, but I'm curious how they can spin back around to the Contemporary for 10pm Wishes.

Official start time was 6:45, but we got there at 6:25 and almost half the group was already there. We got back to the Contemporary for fireworks at 9:57. Most people had coffee and desserts after.

I believe the starting time depends on when Wishes is... my start time in early March is to meet at the Wave at 5:45... I think others said 4:45.

Start time seems to vary based on fireworks time. I saw 6:45, 5:45 and 4:45.

Official start time was 6:45, but we got there at 6:25 and almost half the group was already there. We got back to the Contemporary for fireworks at 9:57. Most people had coffee and desserts after.

Wow, that's a pretty quick night. Obviously a huge difference is my group of 20 all has to wait for drinks while the Disney sponsored group have everything ready for them. It takes us about 5 hours to circle around. I am hosting a Holiday Monorail Crawl on one of the same nights, but based on my schedule we will never match up. I didn't want to clog the monorail for the other guests.

Last edited:
What part of the deck was roped off?

Looks like in pictures the area closest to the front of resort/Magic Kingdom. West side. You can see the monorail line above them.

In photo one the farthest where the folks are sitting.

@olliffm1 ... confirm if this is it.

IMG_0044_2.jpg

Contemporary%20Resort%20030.jpg

wishes-fireworks.jpg

Thanks for the pics Hopper!

So if it's the west side of the deck facing the MK, they did take away the best part of the deck. Actually, it's the only truly good part of the deck since the rest of the deck deals with the obstruction from the monorail in some way.

Thanks for the pics Hopper!

So if it's the west side of the deck facing the MK, they did take away the best part of the deck. Actually, it's the only truly good part of the deck since the rest of the deck deals with the obstruction from the monorail in some way.

That is what I took from the Instagram photos. I couldn't figure out a way to copy and paste them here but these are the ones.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNigXCuAm-E/?tagged=highwayintheskydinearound

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNigeisAsoa/?tagged=highwayintheskydinearound

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNihilzgj8H/?tagged=highwayintheskydinearound

Thank you! I'm not a fan of Trader Sam's drinks either... too sweet... but if it comes with the package, I'll probably drink it! LOL! Thanks for the review and answering my questions.
Me too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter