Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I both received the J&J on Thursday night. I hadn't been able to get appointments on my own yet (demand still exceeds supply here so far), but then the city that our small business is in had a clinic for the businesses. It included restaurants, shops, construction, all kinds of businesses. The city has been hard hit since the start (as has my town, which abuts), and this was one in a series of clinics at this site for first responders, healthcare workers, teachers, elderly, etc. that live or work in the city. The clinic was so efficient and organized - they were amazing and I was sitting in my "observation chair" in about 5 minutes. I joked to the guy who administered the shot if it would be weird for him if I started crying and he was like, "Ma'am, I never hurt anyone, you'll be fine!" And I told him it would be tears of relief and happiness and then we just laughed. :sunny:

My husband had no side effects to speak of, expect some arm soreness. Despite much pre-hydration, I was not so lucky. Hit me like a ton of bricks Thursday night, up a lot Thursday night with headaches, body aches, and fever. I was a bit of mess all day Friday. At one point, I took my very strong and spirited 1 YO dog for a walk, and I felt so crummy and devoid of coping skills that I couldn't get her to cross the street and I almost just sat down in the road and wept. I didn't, of course, we dragged each other home and napped on the couch together. I think some of my physical reaction was because I was really anxious before - not so much about the vaccine itself but more that something would go wrong and I wouldn't get to receive it, and then I think my body was just holding on the stress until after.

My husband and I both received the J&J on Thursday night. I hadn't been able to get appointments on my own yet (demand still exceeds supply here so far), but then the city that our small business is in had a clinic for the businesses. It included restaurants, shops, construction, all kinds of businesses. The city has been hard hit since the start (as has my town, which abuts), and this was one in a series of clinics at this site for first responders, healthcare workers, teachers, elderly, etc. that live or work in the city. The clinic was so efficient and organized - they were amazing and I was sitting in my "observation chair" in about 5 minutes. I joked to the guy who administered the shot if it would be weird for him if I started crying and he was like, "Ma'am, I never hurt anyone, you'll be fine!" And I told him it would be tears of relief and happiness and then we just laughed. :sunny:

My husband had no side effects to speak of, expect some arm soreness. Despite much pre-hydration, I was not so lucky. Hit me like a ton of bricks Thursday night, up a lot Thursday night with headaches, body aches, and fever. I was a bit of mess all day Friday. At one point, I took my very strong and spirited 1 YO dog for a walk, and I felt so crummy and devoid of coping skills that I couldn't get her to cross the street and I almost just sat down in the road and wept. I didn't, of course, we dragged each other home and napped on the couch together. I think some of my physical reaction was because I was really anxious before - not so much about the vaccine itself but more that something would go wrong and I wouldn't get to receive it, and then I think my body was just holding on the stress until after.
:grouphug: I can see that. So much mental energy tied up in this vaccine for everyone.

DD is 24 hours post second Pfizer vaccine. Knock wood, so far no side effects. It's just so odd to me after the other 4 of us in the family all had pretty bad side effects that first 24 hours (2 of us Moderna and 2 of us JnJ). I'm so happy for her though!

Arm hurts like heck, but that's not the side effect we were concerned with.

I sailed through my second Pfizer shot with nothing notable except a sore arm. I'm almost at 48 hours post and feel great. Arm isn't even sore anymore.

My sister, and both parents were LAID OUT for a day (my mom for several) after their Pfizer shots, so I was expecting the worst.

I haven't hit qualification for it yet here in PA. A while back, even those who qualified couldn't get the shot. I don't know how long that will continue with PA rapidly adding all groups available to get the vaccine.

Now I am concerned with the few cases of ITP with the low platelets, J&J. I had posted on another thread before about the viral infection I had had in 2020, where my platelets dropped to dangerous levels and ended up in the hospital, at a time when they didn't want to admit anyone. Someone there suggested I actually had Covid, it just didn't show up in the tests. :confused3 I was very ill for good month and a half and a slow recovery.

I thought I would maybe try for Pfizer, but have read a few instances with this one as well. It concerns me greatly. I know people always say the risk is low, but when you are the statistic, it's 100%.

Last edited:
They are now recalling the J and J one here in Georgia. Oh well. Glad I got it before they did.

Really? Why? The fainting/nausea thing? That's an absolutely normal post vaccine response.

This is becoming like one of those mass hysteria phenomenon. People are reading about the AZ situation, getting nervous/anxious because J&J shares the same tech, and they are experiencing vaccine induced vasovagal responses, which is not uncommon. An anaphylaxis reaction immediately following vaccine administration is the only real cause for alarm. Nothing else serious would happen that quickly (within 15-30 minutes).

Really? Why? The fainting/nausea thing? That's an absolutely normal post vaccine response.

This is becoming like one of those mass hysteria phenomenon. People are reading about the AZ situation, getting nervous/anxious because J&J shares the same tech, and they are experiencing vaccine induced vasovagal responses, which is not uncommon. An anaphylaxis reaction immediately following vaccine administration is the only real cause for alarm. Nothing else serious would happen that quickly (within 15-30 minutes).
I could not find any news story on this. The only thing I could find was they shut down 1 site.

Sounds great for vaccine availability for you guys. Around here it's still a bit slow, it seems...
Yes. It's been open to everyone for a couple of weeks now. However, I have been our family's 'designated appointment getter' since vaccination opened in January. (I found appointments for my parents, my in-laws, my sister's in-laws, an older neighbor, a couple of my dad's 80-something-year-old friends, etc.) I've kind of been keeping up on when/how/where to find appointments, so I was ready to jump once we were eligible.

Around here, appointments in the city are still somewhat hard to come by (not impossible, but you can't just expect to log on any old time and find one), but outside the city, there are slots going unfilled. (For my daughter's appointment on Thursday, we'll drive about an hour... but I wanted the first appointment I could get for her... school is back in session full time, spring sports are happening, and AP exams are coming up.)

I hope your rollout speeds up and you can be vaccinated soon.

Last edited:

I could not find any news story on this. The only thing I could find was they shut down 1 site.
Yep, I believe this is being blown way out of proportion. From everything I've read they shut down one site in Georgia because of 8 people having a reaction.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/johnson-johnson-vaccine-georgia-shut-down-side-effects/
"Georgia is the third state to temporarily shut down a vaccine site after eight people suffered adverse reactions to the shot. Earlier this week, 18 people in North Carolina reported side effects, while 11 people in Colorado reacted to the shot with symptoms ranging from dizziness, nausea and fainting. "

Other than a sore arm no side effects for my daughter after her first Maderna shot.

I called to find out why if I’m eligible I can’t get an appointment and was told there is a glitch and to pick another occupation. So I did that and am getting my first Pfizer today at 3. So yes, even though I’ve said I’ll wait, I am biting the bullet and getting the vaccine. One because I haven’t seen my parents since Christmas 2019 and two I’m ready to get out and cautiously do things I haven’t since March 2020. I am still nervous about the unknown. Wish me luck.

Other than a sore arm no side effects for my daughter after her first Maderna shot.

I called to find out why if I’m eligible I can’t get an appointment and was told there is a glitch and to pick another occupation. So I did that and am getting my first Pfizer today at 3. So yes, even though I’ve said I’ll wait, I am biting the bullet and getting the vaccine. One because I haven’t seen my parents since Christmas 2019 and two I’m ready to get out and cautiously do things I haven’t since March 2020. I am still nervous about the unknown. Wish me luck.

You've got this! Good Luck!

Just got my vaccine. No real pain from the injection. Because I have reactions to bee stings (I swell up like a ballon) I am having to wait 30 minutes vs 15 minutes. This is not something I’ve heard before. Lucky me. I’m kind of glad that I didn’t know in advance because it may have dissuaded me.

Just got my vaccine. No real pain from the injection. Because I have reactions to bee stings (I swell up like a ballon) I am having to wait 30 minutes vs 15 minutes. This is not something I’ve heard before. Lucky me. I’m kind of glad that I didn’t know in advance because it may have dissuaded me.

Yeah a bee sting would get you 30 minutes. Some places are making you wait 30 minutes if you've had any reactions to antibiotics or something like that--they made my mother wait because she an adverse reaction to Cipro. I had to wait 30 minutes because I am temporarily taking a blood thinner after having foot surgery. My second shot is tomorrow and I wonder if they'll make me wait 30 minutes again even though I did okay with the first.

From what I've read, since there's a known *very rare* possibility of anaphylaxis, the CDC decided to err on the side of caution and have everyone with any significant allergy issue wait the extra time. I can imagine it's scary to hear though! Congrats on getting your shot!

Yep, I believe this is being blown way out of proportion. From everything I've read they shut down one site in Georgia because of 8 people having a reaction.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/johnson-johnson-vaccine-georgia-shut-down-side-effects/
"Georgia is the third state to temporarily shut down a vaccine site after eight people suffered adverse reactions to the shot. Earlier this week, 18 people in North Carolina reported side effects, while 11 people in Colorado reacted to the shot with symptoms ranging from dizziness, nausea and fainting. "

All of it is blown out of proportion. If people are waiting for the first drug where all 8 billion of us can take it without having a reaction then I’ll meet them for a drink and we can ride our unicorns together.

It’s pathetic journalism. They’ve interviewed the woman who fainted multiple times. Just quietly ignore the millions who have already taken the J&J without issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter