• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone decorated their Magic Bands? Please show us the pictures!

I think your primer is the problem. I have had better luck using a brush on acrylic primer and topcoat from the craft store rather than nail polish. Now I use acrylic leather paints/primer/topcoat/thinner and like that the best.

Are you painting the bands in a curved position or flat? They will be more prone to cracking if you flatten them. I don't even flatten mine for taking pictures. I am usually pretty careful putting them on, but even so, the bands that I have done with nail polish seem to crack around the holes after some time.
I'm a huge Lilly Pulitzer fan and I'm trying to decide the best way to make some Lilly bands for myself. I could take the easy route & order the decal skins but I'm afraid of them peeling off. I'd love to try my hand at painting! Very afraid of the dreaded cracking. So, thinking I'll order the leather paints and paint my pattern over the middle part of the band but not down along the more flexible parts. I'll get a bracelet display stand to hold it in the curved position while I paint.

Questions! Do you use the leather deglazer or is there an Angelus primer that I'm not seeing on their site? Do you use the Angelus sealer? Do you brush all these on?

Thanks in advance!

Do the decals peel off? Is there anything special that can be done to make sure they stay adhered?

I used temporary tattoos and sprayed acrylic sealer (can be found at a craft store) on top. They stayed on throughout the whole trip, even getting wet in the rain. It seems fairly permanent.

I wish I had seen this before now. Don't have time to order these from Amazon now.

If you have a Party City near you, they have lots of Disney temporary tattoo packs for 99 cents. I used those with acrylic sealer over it. It's a great way to easily customize the bands :-)

I used temporary tattoos and sprayed acrylic sealer (can be found at a craft store) on top. They stayed on throughout the whole trip, even getting wet in the rain. It seems fairly permanent.

If you have a Party City near you, they have lots of Disney temporary tattoo packs for 99 cents. I used those with acrylic sealer over it. It's a great way to easily customize the bands :-)
Awesome thank you!

@iheartglaciers How did you apply the tattoos? I tried with my last bands, but failed miserably.

I just remembered that I put 5 layers of Modge Podge on first (I used glow in the dark so it glowed on dark rides! You probably don't need 5 layers if you're using regular Modge Podge (but you need that much for it to glow in the dark), then put the tattoos on in a normal way--wet towel or sponge on top, apply light pressure (too much pressure could cause the tattoo to move under the top paper), and then peel the backing/paper. You have to be careful peeling the paper backing off to make sure the tattoo stuck on the band (especially for skinny parts/edges of the tattoo). The Modge Podge helps provide a surface for the tattoos to stick onto. Also when you do all this, don't flatten out the band because when you bend it back in a circle, the Modge Podge or sealer could crack. You need the acrylic sealer to protect the tattoos and make it waterproof (regular Modge Podge isn't waterproof).

If you want to skip the Modge Podge you could just spray a layer of the acrylic sealer on first, and then again after the tattoos. Or I've also heard of people putting it on directly, but cleaning the surface with rubbing alcohol first.

I hope that helps!

Here are some photos:

Last edited:

I'm a huge Lilly Pulitzer fan and I'm trying to decide the best way to make some Lilly bands for myself. I could take the easy route & order the decal skins but I'm afraid of them peeling off. I'd love to try my hand at painting! Very afraid of the dreaded cracking. So, thinking I'll order the leather paints and paint my pattern over the middle part of the band but not down along the more flexible parts. I'll get a bracelet display stand to hold it in the curved position while I paint.

Questions! Do you use the leather deglazer or is there an Angelus primer that I'm not seeing on their site? Do you use the Angelus sealer? Do you brush all these on?

Thanks in advance!

I didn't use the deglazer. I did use the Angelus sealer (I have both matte and satin). I used a foam brush for the sealer, but for the paints I use nail art brushes and small artist brushes.

Got our magic bands today and put all of our decals on!!
E2BD7753-EB76-4930-B668-24531F722A73_zps5khgfjcc.jpg
vrajewski10513- where did you find the Mets personalization decal??? Looking for New Orleans Pelicans and can't find anything. Thanks.

So tell me, do you use a base coat before you paint on the band? If so, what do you use? And, acrylic paints vs. nail polish? And a top coat to seal? What do you use?

So tell me, do you use a base coat before you paint on the band? If so, what do you use? And, acrylic paints vs. nail polish? And a top coat to seal? What do you use?
To piggy back off of this...I see people talking about temporary tattoos. However, I want my images to show up vividly. Has anyone used stickers instead, and if so, is there anything differently I need to do to ensure they stay on?

To piggy back off of this...I see people talking about temporary tattoos. However, I want my images to show up vividly. Has anyone used stickers instead, and if so, is there anything differently I need to do to ensure they stay on?

Some people have used paint or nail polish in white or a light color under the tattoo. You can always try to match the shape of the tattoo if you don't want to change the color of the band, and just clean up the edges with nail polish remover.

I've seen a lot of stickers used. They seem to be prone to wrinkling, but I think it is more problematic if the stickers are large or if they were applied with the band not closed. I think the original adhesive would make a difference, as well as sealing it with a good flexible sealer probably helps.

Some people have used paint or nail polish in white or a light color under the tattoo. You can always try to match the shape of the tattoo if you don't want to change the color of the band, and just clean up the edges with nail polish remover.

I've seen a lot of stickers used. They seem to be prone to wrinkling, but I think it is more problematic if the stickers are large or if they were applied with the band not closed. I think the original adhesive would make a difference, as well as sealing it with a good flexible sealer probably helps.
Great, thanks for the tips!! My plan is to use a glitter nail polish to cover the band, then add stickers. Is base coat or topcoat polish better to add once I'm finished? Or have we found something even better?

Great, thanks for the tips!! My plan is to use a glitter nail polish to cover the band, then add stickers. Is base coat or topcoat polish better to add once I'm finished? Or have we found something even better?

Some people have even used Modge Podge as a base coat. As a sealer, I am using a product made for flexible materials, used in the automotive industry. I will hopefully work on my bands early next week, and I'll report back, though I'm not using stickers.

.hi. These bands all look great. I don't have a lot of time and need to do 10. This is our first time with Magic bands. I am thinking of getting some decals. If I do, would you rub the band with rubbing alcohol , let dry, put decals on. Is that enough or do I have to put a top coat on??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter