Has anyone decorated their Magic Bands? Please show us the pictures!

.hi. These bands all look great. I don't have a lot of time and need to do 10. This is our first time with Magic bands. I am thinking of getting some decals. If I do, would you rub the band with rubbing alcohol , let dry, put decals on. Is that enough or do I have to put a top coat on??

I would definitely recommend the decals if you don't have a lot of time, especially for TEN! I would just follow the instructions they give you when you order the bands, but using alcohol and letting them dry before you apply the decal shouldn't hurt.

Brooke, so beautiful! What did you use?

Sorry some of these are out of order, but here are ours!!!

View attachment 192776 View attachment 192777 View attachment 192774 View attachment 192772
View attachment 192773
View attachment 192775
View attachment 192778
View attachment 192779
View attachment 192780
View attachment 192781[/QUOT

So beautiful! What did you use for it all? Base coat, paint and top coat? Should be getting our bands anytime and I'm ready to decorate!!

(I apologize in advance if any pictures are duplicated or not within the body of this post. I tried, I promise!)

I've learned SO much from this thread! Here are my bands and a detailing of what I did, based on information from here and from here. After our trip (8 days away!), I will come back and update how they held up. I am not a particularly good artist and my kids wanted designs that I really couldn't do, so this time I opted to make decals with my Cricut. Once I found the images I wanted (some I purchased on Etsy), I used the template found on the website I linked and imported everything into Cricut Design Space to create my decals. (Just as a note, this was my first time using a Cricut, and the Design Space was *extremely* frustrating, their "Help" features were NO help, and I was about ready to box it up and send it back. But, I researched and soldiered on - figuring out by a lot of trial-and-error. But enough of all that...) For those who *do* use Cricut, I used the vinyl setting, despite the sheets of decal material being so thick.steps 1 and 2.jpg

If you notice in the picture above, once you have printed on the vinyl, you have to run it under water to wash away any excess ink. I was fortunate in that my printer ink did not seem to wash away at all.

Next, I applied three coats of the adhesive primer to the MBs. I don't know that 3 coats were necessary, but it seemed like a good number to me. :thumbsup2 Then, I applied the vinyl to the curved/closed bands. For the longer strips of vinyl, such as the Inside Out band, I was a bit disappointed that the vinyl did not lie flat. It wrinkled and gapped a bit. I even took it off and tried again (with a newly printed piece), but the same thing happened. One trick I did learn was that once you have your decal lined up with where you want to place it, start pressing in the middle and work toward each end. You can somewhat lift and try again if you see that it is off a bit, but I think that the adhesive primer makes that more difficult to do. The instructions say to then let the vinyl cure for about 24 hours, which I did. During that time I embellished the bands just a bit - Inside Out characters got a little bit of sparkle in their hair, Mickeys were painted (with nail polish). One thing to note, if you do decide to paint with nail polish over the plastic adhesive, it will likely NOT be removed with nail polish remover. I got a tiny bit outside the lines of one of the small Mickey heads at the end of the band, and I really couldn't get the polish off. A little bit did, but it was almost like the band was stained.

For the top coat I used this SEM Flexible Coating:

top coat.png

Again, I used 3 coats. Even though the product label says "high gloss" it isn't as high gloss as I thought it would be.. But they are shiny enough. Using this flexible top coat for plastics is fantastic! Our bands are just as bendable now as they were when we got them. My biggest concern is how well the vinyl that buckled will remain adhered to the bands. We will be hitting the water parks one day of our trip, plus using the resort pool, so I will be sure to post the results afterwards.

One final note - making these bands this way was expensive - the total cost was around $46! The vinyl decal sheets were the most pricey. You have to purchase so much of each item, but you only use a little bit. But, it provided a creative outlet for me, I learned more about my Cricut, and the kids love them! Plus, now I have all the supplies for the NEXT Disney trip. :D

So here they are! magic bands 1.jpg magic bands 2.jpg magic bands 3.jpg

One final note - making these bands this way was expensive - the total cost was around $46! The vinyl decal sheets were the most pricey. You have to purchase so much of each item, but you only use a little bit. But, it provided a creative outlet for me, I learned more about my Cricut, and the kids love them! Plus, now I have all the supplies for the NEXT Disney trip. :D

So here they are! View attachment 204986 View attachment 204987 View attachment 204989

That's a labor of love! So cool, great job!!

(I apologize in advance if any pictures are duplicated or not within the body of this post. I tried, I promise!)

I've learned SO much from this thread! Here are my bands and a detailing of what I did, based on information from here and from here. After our trip (8 days away!), I will come back and update how they held up. I am not a particularly good artist and my kids wanted designs that I really couldn't do, so this time I opted to make decals with my Cricut. Once I found the images I wanted (some I purchased on Etsy), I used the template found on the website I linked and imported everything into Cricut Design Space to create my decals. (Just as a note, this was my first time using a Cricut, and the Design Space was *extremely* frustrating, their "Help" features were NO help, and I was about ready to box it up and send it back. But, I researched and soldiered on - figuring out by a lot of trial-and-error. But enough of all that...) For those who *do* use Cricut, I used the vinyl setting, despite the sheets of decal material being so thick.

please keep us posted! the sealer i used on mine was awesome - except in the pool! it started to do weird things.. so curious how your sealer holds up!!!

Not really decorated, but we don't use our real names anymore --- this years theme ....

14938174_10207520964769134_2550511247167727347_n.jpg

Did anyone do anything to the magicbands before putting on the magicyourband decal? I want to make sure it stays, and also want to add glow in the dark nail polish to the edges.

I just painted DD, DS, and my magicbands. DH just got some glow in the dark nail polish on his Mickey Head and I completely left my parents bands alone.

I thought about getting a black nail polish pen to go around the Mickey heads, but decided to leave them as-is. I don't have a steady hand or the patience to make it look crisp.

I used Sinful Colors nail polish. The dark one is a chameleon color Nice Guise and the sparkly purple is Frenzy. The Mickey heads are the glow in the dark polish of theirs. I used two coats of polish on the bands and around 4 for the Mickey heads.
I'm not sure if I should go over everything with a coat or two of clear? :confused3

I just painted DD, DS, and my magicbands. DH just got some glow in the dark nail polish on his Mickey Head and I completely left my parents bands alone.

I thought about getting a black nail polish pen to go around the Mickey heads, but decided to leave them as-is. I don't have a steady hand or the patience to make it look crisp.

I used Sinful Colors nail polish. The dark one is a chameleon color Nice Guise and the sparkly purple is Frenzy. The Mickey heads are the glow in the dark polish of theirs. I used two coats of polish on the bands and around 4 for the Mickey heads.
I'm not sure if I should go over everything with a coat or two of clear? :confused3

Your wedding rings though...oh so super cute!!

Thanks! :sunny: I got it last year at Hollywood Studios. I think it was around $30-40. I never had a "real" wedding ring and have worn many different rings for my wedding ring. But this one! I think I finally found a keeper.

It's adorable!!

@pammydw - I love those colors you used! I would recommend some kind of top coat - maybe an acrylic sealer?
I've tried the pens on a business card with a waxy coat and they dried almost immediately. I don't think I'm going to even need a base coat, but definitely a top coat. I was worried since these are oil based that they might smudge or take a long time to dry, but they don't do either thing! Do you think an acrylic sealer will be okay with the oil based paint?

@pammydw - I love those colors you used! I would recommend some kind of top coat - maybe an acrylic sealer?
And thank you! I'm loving these colors too! I can't wait to get started. I've got my design down, but not my daughter's yet. She wants some snowflakes, but that's all she requested. She would like to be surprised! Last time I had someone do our bands, but I'll give it a go this time! I'm a cookie decorator, so hopefully these won't be too difficult! Hopefully!!

We had glow in the dark paint on ours the last time and it was fun in the dark rides!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter