Free Dining 8/26-9/22-Anyone Else Hear This?

No discounts. :( I have heard different opinions from many different people regarding the crowds. Some say, no crowds, some say high crowds. I know we went during the Millineum Celebration during Off Season once and it was SOOOOOO packed. We went on Oct and it wasnt bad at all. I just cant take my kids out of school again. I took my 5th grader out this year and then she got a 7 day illness and a few fevers after that. She missed too much school, not to mention making up the work is aweful. We have been several times and want to go at a more relaxed pace this time BUT we are taking a young teen who has never been so we want to show her a good time. Just hoping it's not like Christmas crowds! We went last June and it really wasnt that bad.

No discounts. :( I have heard different opinions from many different people regarding the crowds. Some say, no crowds, some say high crowds. I know we went during the Millineum Celebration during Off Season once and it was SOOOOOO packed. We went on Oct and it wasnt bad at all. I just cant take my kids out of school again. I took my 5th grader out this year and then she got a 7 day illness and a few fevers after that. She missed too much school, not to mention making up the work is aweful. We have been several times and want to go at a more relaxed pace this time BUT we are taking a young teen who has never been so we want to show her a good time. Just hoping it's not like Christmas crowds! We went last June and it really wasnt that bad.

:wave2: We're going the same week and a half as you except that we're leaving on the 17th. We usually go at that time and last year with the free dining was more crowded. (We missed free dining the year before b/c I just had our daughter.) We usually only had to wait for maybe one or two rides the whole trip and those were usually later in the day. I love going at that time b/c the crowds seemed lighter to us. I"m really hoping that it will be even emptier b/c we are missing the free dining.

Gretchen

That sounds encouraging. I wanted free dining but must say that it is a double edged sword for us. If NOT having the free dining will keep crowds down, I would almost rather do that. Congrats for all you who get to take advantage of this great offer!!!

I was wondering if anyone was there last year when they offered the free dining? How was the crowds? We are thinking about going during free dining and was wondering if it would be more crowded b/c of it. Thanks

I think this year the crowds will be worse. Last year (and the previous year) the free ddp was for a longer timeframe, about 8+ weeks. This year all of the free dining folks will be squeezed into 4 weeks, all I can say is WOW. That will be alot of folks trying to take advantage of this great deal in such a short timeframe. This will be interesting to see. I unfortunately did not plan well and booked my trip the middle of August, so no free ddp for us, but I do have the DVC points sitting around, so have booked with them instead. Strangely, this was the first time I had planned in advance to take advantage of the free ddp. In 2005, we were already going and were booked with CM discounts, so some of us booked the free ddp, while others did not. Last year we did not plan to go, but on the 3rd Visa day, we decided to book a last minute trip (already went 3 times that year). So that is it for me. No more pre planning and hoping for a discount. Next year it's either last minute or nothing. Too much stress waiting for something that didn't happen. I'll be calling next week to cancel my grand gathering and packages. Good luck to all and I'll be eagerly reading to see what types of lodging are still left to book. This will be like black friday for leftover disney rooms.

n2mm I hope you change your mind about canceling..:guilty: Maybe they will extend the dates at the last minute. Here's some pixie for you pixiedust: . Also, the dates for free dining are longer than the 4 weeks extended to the general public. From what I've been reading, those who booked through bounce back and from the UK have the full beginning of August until October 3 that was offered in years past.

n2mm I hope you change your mind about canceling..:guilty: Maybe they will extend the dates at the last minute. Here's some pixie for you pixiedust: . Also, the dates for free dining are longer than the 4 weeks extended to the general public. From what I've been reading, those who booked through bounce back and from the UK have the full beginning of August until October 3 that was offered in years past.

I believe the whole month of August will have larger crowds then normal. First Disney moved the start of value season from the last Sunday in August to the first. Since many school systems in the south are starting school later this year, I have a feeling many families may hit WDW early- mid August to take advantage of the value season rates.

Then you had UK and bounce back free dining offered for pretty all of August. Since the general public free dining dates are later, I assume bookings for the first part of the month must be way up.

I believe the whole month of August will have larger crowds then normal. First Disney moved the start of value season from the last Sunday in August to the first. Since many school systems in the south are starting school later this year, I have a feeling many families may hit WDW early- mid August to take advantage of the value season rates.

Then you had UK and bounce back free dining offered for pretty all of August. Since the general public free dining dates are later, I assume bookings for the first part of the month must be way up.

That's what I think too.

I think bounce back and the UK bookings did really good for the month of August...hence no need to offer it to the general public now. I think it will be just as crowded as it was apparently last year during free dining in August.

::yes::

When you all say crowded, HOW crowded do you mean? Once I went during October or September but it was the Millenium celebration. It was WAY more crowded that trip than any other I have taken in the summer or fall. I have never done Christmas time and probably wouldn't. I know when we did go during the crowd, it was so bad that it took at least an hour for EVERY ride, some two hours! I dont want to see that again. Do you think early to mid August will be comparable to the first two weeks of June? I didn;t find that terribly bad.:confused3

I believe the whole month of August will have larger crowds then normal.

oh come on now!! The only consolation I have on not being able to get free dining or a special PIN code is that the week we are going (8/23 - 8/28) will be lower crowds! Don't burst my bubble ;)

oh come on now!! The only consolation I have on not being able to get free dining or a special PIN code is that the week we are going (8/23 - 8/28) will be lower crowds! Don't burst my bubble ;)

Nobody will be there that week :thumbsup2 . I got it from a reliable source :rotfl2: That's the week that noone will be in the park except you...have fun.:lmao:

Yes, the free dining is longer than 4 weeks, but for the GP it's only 4 weeks. It just meant that all of the earlier timeframe in August and later timeframe in September is at capacity so there was no need to offer it to the GP. Please don't worry about me, we are still going. It just means I'm using my DVC points and booked a 2 bedroom at OKW for the 4 nights I had hope to do the free dining. The nice part is, if they change and offer it for earlier August (because alot of us canceled) then I can switch back and still try to get into a value resort last minute and put my DVC points back into my holding account. I am fortunate enough to have this flexibility. The only thing I'm cancelling is my 3 packages. We can still buy the DDP staying on points and will be spending less money than the 3 packages, (but I have to use my precious points, which I was hoping to save for 2008). My DIL on the other hand has to cancel her 4 rooms booked for August and is changing to September now. She is taking her 10 kids, plus some extras so the free ddp is the ONLY way she can afford to take that many mouths to feed. It would've been a true grand gathering had it worked out for all of us. I'm hoping to switch back to free ddp for Aug. 15-19 if the dates change later on, as it has happened before. On Aug. 19-24 we are at the BCV 2 bedroom, but that was part of our original plan.:idea:

When you all say crowded, HOW crowded do you mean? Once I went during October or September but it was the Millenium celebration. It was WAY more crowded that trip than any other I have taken in the summer or fall.
Holly,
We were there last year Aug 4-17. The day free dining hit (Aug 13) it was VERY noticeable ! Crowds came in throngs. Waits were like 90++ min for the more popular attractions. I am hoping early August won't be this bad, but we shall see.
We were in WDW Oct 4-8 this past fall and found it much more crowded than ever before. Food and Wine Festival has been moved up earlier than in the past and it made a real difference in crowds especially on the weekends when the locals came in. Sat, Oct 7 was so packed in Epcot that we ended up leaving earlier than we would have normally.

Nobody will be there that week :thumbsup2 . I got it from a reliable source :rotfl2: That's the week that noone will be in the park except you...have fun.:lmao:

thanks! That makes me feel much better:thumbsup2 ;)

Holly,
We were there last year Aug 4-17. The day free dining hit (Aug 13) it was VERY noticeable ! Crowds came in throngs. Waits were like 90++ min for the more popular attractions. I am hoping early August won't be this bad, but we shall see.

yikes! we will be there through the 28th....it makes me wonder if I should move up our arrival a few days and leave 8/27 instead :confused3 I would rather not fly home on Sunday the 26th due to higher airfare

I have never done Christmas time and probably wouldn't. I know when we did go during the crowd, it was so bad that it took at least an hour for EVERY ride, some two hours! I dont want to see that again.

If you want to see WDW in all of it's Christmas glory, think about going mid December. All of the decorations and Christmas shows are in place, but the crowds are light. We went Dec 14-21 a few years back (Saturday to Saturday). The first half of the week we walked right on to everything. Later in the week we were hitting half-hour waits for the more popular attractions. I would definitely go back during that time of year. The only problem with going in Dec/Jan timeframe is the weather. It might be in the mid 70s or it might be in the 50s. I've been in Dec/Jan three times, and each time we hade a few warm days, and a few cool days. But considering how light the crowds are, it is worth it.
Now that I think of it, another good option is the first full week of January. I have done this twice. This is the lowest attendance week every year. The Christmas decorations tend to come down this week. So you get to see all of the Christmas stuff for half of your stay, and then see the parks in their normal mode the other half.

I'm going 8/20 to 8/30 and here's my thoughts which I'm sure is just wishful thinking but anyways....Value season starts 8/5 and FL and a lot of the country is back in school by 8/20 so I think "most" folks will go earlier in Aug (or July or June...) OR just wait the extra week to get free dining.

I was there 8/23 to 8/30 last year and I think free dining started on the 13th and the crowds weren't bad at all.

I have thought about changing my dates a bit but then I'd have to pay to change airfare at $25 per person and then it might be busier the ealier I go and who knows so I'm just going to stick with my dates and plan on being at the park at opening. I found in Aug people tend to stay out very late and get a late start. I think we'll be fine hitting the parks at opening and going back to the resort for a swim. Maybe we'll do a few things we haven't before like mini golf or rent a boat or surrey bike. I think we find enough to do even if the parks get crazy on the 26th.

cepmom,
Did you know you can still get the free dining for part of your trip?
No-she's not staying 3 nights after 8/26 and she'd have to purchase another set of tickets too.

cepmom,
Did you know you can still get the free dining for part of your trip?
nope, we're leaving on the 28th. If the promotion is anything like the last couple of years, then they will require a 3 night minimun (although some people are reporting a 5 night minimum this year:confused3 not sure about that though) and I will need to buy tickets for the first couple of days, tehn tickets again wiht my package...doesn't work out moneywise, but thanks anyway!
I'm going 8/20 to 8/30 and here's my thoughts which I'm sure is just wishful thinking but anyways....Value season starts 8/5 and FL and a lot of the country is back in school by 8/20 so I think "most" folks will go earlier in Aug (or July or June...) OR just wait the extra week to get free dining.

I was there 8/23 to 8/30 last year and I think free dining started on the 13th and the crowds weren't bad at all.

I have thought about changing my dates a bit but then I'd have to pay to change airfare at $25 per person and then it might be busier the ealier I go and who knows so I'm just going to stick with my dates and plan on being at the park at opening. I found in Aug people tend to stay out very late and get a late start. I think we'll be fine hitting the parks at opening and going back to the resort for a swim. Maybe we'll do a few things we haven't before like mini golf or rent a boat or surrey bike. I think we find enough to do even if the parks get crazy on the 26th.

that's kind of what I was thinking too....the week before free dining would be better...the thing is we'll be there for 3 days after free dining starts. I wonder if I should move my trip up a little, like 8/21 and get out on the 26th. I can't move the dates to coincide with free dining because DD has a commitment that last week in Aug.

I haven't purchased airfare yet so I think I am going to wait and see if flying home on the 26th is a good price or not. If it's too much $$ I'll just stick to my original dates and hope for the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter