First names you would never call a child of yours?

Speaking of names that sound strange on an adult, I knew of a Col "Brandy" Last name. Somehow, Brandy just doesn't infer leadership. Sorry if that's someone's name, but the parents probably never imagined her future military rank. It's like people who name their daughter's things like Bambi. It doesn't make anyone think CEO. Some people hate their names and go on to change them also.

I actually thought of that when my daughter was born. I gave her a more professional sounding legal name and then a shorter nickname she goes by. She can use the other name if she wanted to be more "professional"- Bunny, Bambi and Candy sound more like the "other profession" type names LOL.

I have a friend whose name is Lucinda.. of course she doesn't go by that name.. but when i found out, i knew right off that she was likely named after a grandmother or a great grandmother.. I think that is awesome. I told her such. She was a bit embarrassed by the name but i told, heck no.. she should be proud to be selected to carry on that name for one of her grandmothers. I also told to learn more about her so that when someone asks about it she could tell just who this lady was because chances are, she was much more than just a grandmother!

I know Emma is an older name and should probably be labeled a classic name but to me it's trendy because it jumped in hype after Rachel named her baby Emma on Friends. It really is a pretty name.

My neighbor is Lucinda but she goes by Lindi. I like Lindi.

Personally, the only names that were "off my list" were where I had a bad association with the names. Nothing wrong with the names, per se, but there was no way I was going to name my child after the fourth grade bully!

The other thing I find odd is when siblings have names that wildly differ in style. For instance, i know a family with 4 kids: Joy, Hope, Faith, and Chuckie. :rolleyes1Which of these things is not like the other? Which of these things just doesn't belong!:rolleyes1

Of course I met a family who swung a little too far the other way. Their kids were Mick, Bud, and Brandy. The husband went so far to explain that they couldn't think of a beer name for the girl, so they went with Brandy. I'm not sure if Mick and Bud were nicknames or given names (I'm hoping nicknames), but the kids -- toddlers at the time -- answered to them. (Brandy was an infant.)

A lot of old names are coming back. My grandmother was named Hazel which I always thought was such an old fashioned name, but I know one newborn and have heard of several others just this year. Names come and go. My name was fairly common in my generation (born 1960) but I haven't heard of a newborn with my name in years. It's a pleasant name, but just not used very often. My boys have very common names for kids born in the 1980's and they were names that were on the top ten list during that time. DH and I are very traditional. I see parents thinking they're being unique with their kids names only to have multiples in classes when they get into school. Everyone thought they were being unique. I definitely have issues with intentionally misspelling names to make them unique, yet being upset when everyone spells it wrong.

Speaking of names that sound strange on an adult, I knew of a Col "Brandy" Last name. Somehow, Brandy just doesn't infer leadership. Sorry if that's someone's name, but the parents probably never imagined her future military rank. It's like people who name their daughter's things like Bambi. It doesn't make anyone think CEO. Some people hate their names and go on to change them also.

About a dozen years ago now a friend of mine named her son Isaiah. She said she thought it was, while maybe not unique, at least not a popular name. When she went in to the hospital to have her son there were two other Isaiah's in the nursery at the same time. I think she said they were both spelled differently but still, she thought she was being unique and there were three Isaiah's in the hospital at the same time. Oops.

I am the unofficial family historian and note some names from my family tree that i love but probably wouldn't use them for my child:
Granfield
Emmaline
Erastus
Jemima
Lydia
Verana
Polly
Ursula
Wilford
Ellis
Clerisa
Jasper

Also, i noted there are at least a dozen Mary's in my family tree (grandmothers)... and i wanted to name my youngest daughter Mary but my wife would have NONE of it.. too old fashioned for her but i don't think of Mary as old fashioned.. to me its a timeless classic!

I actually thought of that when my daughter was born. I gave her a more professional sounding legal name and then a shorter nickname she goes by. She can use the other name if she wanted to be more "professional"- Bunny, Bambi and Candy sound more like the "other profession" type names LOL.
I took it a step further, not only CEO, but if they turned out too tall, too short, too fat, too thin, unfortunate nose, bad personality. I stuck with names that anyone can carry.

I know Emma is an older name and should probably be labeled a classic name but to me it's trendy because it jumped in hype after Rachel named her baby Emma on Friends. It really is a pretty name.

Also, i noted there are at least a dozen Mary's in my family tree (grandmothers)... and i wanted to name my youngest daughter Mary but my wife would have NONE of it.. too old fashioned for her but i don't think of Mary as old fashioned.. to me its a timeless classic!

I do love both of those, classic or not!

I LOVE the name Mary! It was my grandmother's middle name, and my sister already used our grandmother's first name for her daughter. If I ever had a daughter, I'd name her Mary. But, I had a boy and I'm done having babies, so that's that. It's a very pretty name and not used often anymore, at least by itself. (I've seen some Mary Claire's, Mary Kate's, etc.)

I LOVE the name Mary! It was my grandmother's middle name, and my sister already used our grandmother's first name for her daughter. If I ever had a daughter, I'd name her Mary. But, I had a boy and I'm done having babies, so that's that. It's a very pretty name and not used often anymore, at least by itself. (I've seen some Mary Claire's, Mary Kate's, etc.)

Mary Elizabeth was what i wanted to name my daughter... VETOED! :(

My mother's name is Mary but she went by her middle name. I also had an aunt whose first name was Mary and she went but her middle name too. Big Irish Catholic family, I'm pretty sure every other female's middle name is Mary.

It is true that it grew in popularity due to Friends but I consider it classic. It has been almost 14 years since Friends and it is still topping the list so it will be here a long time.

Says the Mom of an Emma.lol.

Last edited:
My SIL went with a theme, Kaleb, Kendall and Kash. It still boggles my mind that her kids are KKK. :rolleyes1

Funny that both of my boys' names are on this list, but their names are popular now. They definitely weren't 12 and 9 years ago!

I have two boys, ages 9 and 12, that are both on this list, and sure as heck weren't when they were named! I figure we started the trend ;)

As far as names I could never use?

I have never met any of the following who did not have behavioral issues:

Anthony
Dylan
Dakota
Johnny
any of the -den family that everyone seems to stick to these days

And I am not really big on androgynous names for either gender.

I have two boys, ages 9 and 12, that are both on this list, and sure as heck weren't when they were named! I figure we started the trend ;)

Anthony
Dylan
Dakota
Johnny

Every Jayden I have ever met has been bad. Just plain bad. Including my cousin/Godson. Before my aunt had him I told her the name was super popular and my "bad" theory. She did it anyway and he was a piece of work. He's calmed down a lot now that he's a teenager.

There are certain names that just scream "trailer park" to me. Nevaeh, Jaxson, Grayson, Ashlyn, car names (Bentley), booze names (Brandy), etc.

I really like classic names, but not the super old-fashioned ones like Millicent, Gertrude, etc. Actually, when I hear "Gertrude," all I can think of is this:

fuVdkvT.png

Also, unlike the woman I heard screaming at her kids in the park yesterday, I wouldn't name my son and daughter Edward & Isabella.

Speaking of theme names, we had a family at the preschool with sons named Tag, Dash, and Chase. The mother was pregnant when the last boy moved on, but I never found out if it was a boy or girl or whether the name stayed with the theme.

Anthony
Dylan
Dakota
Johnny

I agree with Dylan, and will add Brandon to that list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter