First names you would never call a child of yours?

Beverly, Angie, Clovis, Marcia and Shirley would be at the top of the Denny Crane list.

Denny Crane!

I'm going to choose my words carefully here, because undoubtedly several DISers have named their kids these names, so please don't take offense. I'll list the names I don't like in categories.

CATEGORY 1: "Trendy" names: Mackenzie, Mickayla, Emily, Colton, Weston, Connor.
CATEGORY 1A: Unusual spellings. Kyleigh, Emmaleigh, Gynnifer.
CATEGORY 2: Thurston Howell's Frat Brothers at Yale: Braxton, Bentley, Dunlap.
CATEGORY 3: Common Biblical Names: Matthew, Luke, Sarah.
CATEGORY 4: Obscure Biblical Names: Hezekiah, Gomer, Josiah.
CATEGORY 5: Your Grandparents' Names: Herkimer, Flossie

If Mrs. Homie and I had had kids, we'd landed on Elias William for a boy (we'd have called him "Will") and Holly Grace for our daughter (we'd have called her "Grace"). And yes, we named our hypothetical children Will & Grace.

I'm not at all offended that my daughter's name, Emily, is on your list, but I felt compelled to point out that Emily is not actually trendy. Think of Emily Dickinson and Emily Bronte, the name has been around for hundreds of years in those cases ;) I think maybe you meant to say popular? Trendy to me means new and fleeting, Emily has been and remained a popular name throughout the centuries. Interestingly enough, while the name Emily does always top the popularity list, my DD has never had another Emily in her class in three schools. In fact, I think there are maybe only one of two other Emily's in her whole school. Anyway, hope *you* are not offended by my non-offense lol, just had to clarify. It did give me cause when we named her such a common name, but it had special meaning to us.

My peave is this trend of intentionally misspelling names to make them "unique and special." Then becoming indignant when no one can spell them right on birthday invites.

I totally agree. It's one thing if someone wants to be unique in their spellings,but the outrage when people "misspell" little Kris-tell's name as "Crystal"' makes them look ridiculous.

I'm not at all offended that my daughter's name, Emily, is on your list, but I felt compelled to point out that Emily is not actually trendy. Think of Emily Dickinson and Emily Bronte, the name has been around for hundreds of years in those cases ;) I think maybe you meant to say popular? Trendy to me means new and fleeting, Emily has been and remained a popular name throughout the centuries. Interestingly enough, while the name Emily does always top the popularity list, my DD has never had another Emily in her class in three schools. In fact, I think there are maybe only one of two other Emily's in her whole school. Anyway, hope *you* are not offended by my non-offense lol, just had to clarify. It did give me cause when we named her such a common name, but it had special meaning to us.

As an Emily, I agree with you! I am in my 30's. I never personally knew another Emily until I was in high school and met 1 other. She was a grade ahead of me, though; never had another one in the same grade. Emily is a lovely name. I like having it (even though I didn't pick it out!).

As an Emily, I agree with you! I am in my 30's. I never personally knew another Emily until I was in high school and met 1 other. She was a grade ahead of me, though; never had another one in the same grade. Emily is a lovely name. I like having it (even though I didn't pick it out!).

Thank you, I love it too, and hope my DD will grow up being as happy with the name as you are :)

These are cracking me up!

DH hates his full name- Ronald- because of the McDonald's connection, and that his family used to call him "little Ronnie" because his dad's name is also Ronald. But he isn't a junior since his middle name is the same as his grandfather who passed away a month before he was born. He insists on being called Ron.

My boys don't have weird names but they are not super popular either. Older DS's middle name is the same as DH, but I always say it's after his great-grandfather, and we just liked how his first name sounded. Younger DS's first name is a variation of my brother's middle name and we liked how the middle name sounded with it. Both of them have one name that is unisex, and both have first names with two syllables, middle name with one. Later we also realized that they had initials that matched up to several other family members. I didn't ever point this out to my brother, but he and his wife just did the same thing with their daughter.

My first name is after my grandfather's middle name, which was spelled Sidney, because I was born on his birthday, and they had already used the feminine version of his first name for my aunt. My middle name is Theresa after the saint. Sounds great, except with my last name beginning with D my initials were STD! Really?!? When I was old enough to figure this out my parents argued "Well they were called VD's back then!" I asked why they didn't pick a "Y" middle name so my initials could be SYD, also a nickname. I actually have on my high school diploma "Sydney Yvonne D___" because they let us pick how we wanted it printed. Once I got married it wasn't an issue. Coincidentally my step-sil is name Yvonne!

My brother's first name is after my uncle and then they picked a different middle name, which he's always gone by. Again, I always wondered why my parents didn't just use my uncle's name for his middle name since they planned on calling him by his middle name anyway!

And now, somewhere, some woman is going to name her daughter Cre8tivleigh and her son Youneek :sad2:

Years ago I worked briefly with young lady, but her parents weren't very cre8tyv, so they named her boring old Unique.

I'm not offended by your non-offense at all. I just define "trendy" differently than you do. Emily's ubiquity may be regional; my nieces live in central Illinois, and for all of them, about 80 percent of the white girls they go/went to school with have/had one of about ten names: Emily, Emma, McKinzie, Mickayla, and so on. The Latina/Asian/Indian/African American girls they went to school with mostly had names more common to their cultures.

Last edited:
I know of someone named Nimrod. I think it's a biblical name, but I can't imagine growing up with that name. He must have been teased ruthlessly. Parents really should think carefully about their child's futures.

I'm not offended by your non-offense at all. I just define "trendy" differently than you do. Emily's ubiquity may be regional; my nieces live in central Illinois, and for all of them, about 80 percent of the white girls they go/went to school with have/had one of about ten names: Emily, Emma, McKinzie, Mickayla, and so on. That Latina/Asian/Indian/African American girls they went to school with mostly had names more common to their cultures.

Our daughter is Asian. Her middle name is Chinese and virtually unpronounceable by most native English speakers, so we wanted something easy to pronounce and traditional for her first name :)

I went to school with a whole family of kids with the last name Dick - Donna, John & Harold (& yes he went by Harry - who does that to their kid?!).
My second grade teacher was Mrs. Dick

Depends on the last name, but yes, I'd exercise extreme caution in naming a child Richard. Years ago, I met someone named Richard Pound. Imagine the jokes on that one.

Richard Head was a Chevy dealership owner in a small town in CO years back - don't know if it still is. And the guy didn't go by Richard :rolleyes1

Dwayne (I always think of it as duh-wayne) and Tyler (I've worked with kids for years and all of them with the name Tyler have had behaviour problems!)

I went to school with Dwayne Boehm. First day in class, our Algebra teacher said, "That's not a name. That's a guitar note!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter