First names you would never call a child of yours?

I would try to imagine the child as a child and an adult in his or her various chosen roles. Imagine a CEO named x... A mother.. A nurse..

I like names a child can shorten if they don't like it say Elizabeth. Plenty of scope to go Betty, Beth, Liz etc.

I agree. We tried to pick names that would be "strong" adult names for our girls. Our two girls have old-fashioned, classic names that can each be shortened to 3-4 nicknames of their choosing if they wish to be called something different when they get older. We do call them by their full names now, though.

My SIL went with a theme, Kaleb, Kendall and Kash. It still boggles my mind that her kids are KKK. :rolleyes1

I knew a woman who had three girls named Keeley, Kallie, and Kaitlee. While trying to choose a name for the third she said it didn't make sense to have two names similar and have the third different. Her husband commented that people will call them the KKK kids but caved and went with it anyway.

As far as the going by middle names thing I never understood that either. I went to school with two girls who both went by their middle names and I never knew why. They said their parents preferred the middle names so that is what they were called. Ok, but if that is the case why not make that your first name?

A high school English teacher told a story about how she grew up down the street with a family that believed the kids should choose their own names so they chose a middle name and just gave them letters for their first names at birth and waited to update it when the child was old enough to select the name themselves. I asked her what the parents called the kids because surely the parents didn't actually call their kids P and Q or whatever the letters were. Apparently they went by their middle names. Well then what is the point?

I'm going to choose my words carefully here, because undoubtedly several DISers have named their kids these names, so please don't take offense. I'll list the names I don't like in categories.

CATEGORY 1: "Trendy" names: Mackenzie, Mickayla, Emily, Colton, Weston, Connor.
CATEGORY 1A: Unusual spellings. Kyleigh, Emmaleigh, Gynnifer.
CATEGORY 2: Thurston Howell's Frat Brothers at Yale: Braxton, Bentley, Dunlap.
CATEGORY 3: Common Biblical Names: Matthew, Luke, Sarah.
CATEGORY 4: Obscure Biblical Names: Hezekiah, Gomer, Josiah.
CATEGORY 5: Your Grandparents' Names: Herkimer, Flossie

If Mrs. Homie and I had had kids, we'd landed on Elias William for a boy (we'd have called him "Will") and Holly Grace for our daughter (we'd have called her "Grace"). And yes, we named our hypothetical children Will & Grace.
I'm with you, except for Category 3.

Common biblical names would work for me.

But otherwise, keep the trendy names and the, let's call them what they are, weird spellings to a minimum.

So, I always see some fairly interesting names as I work in a doctor's office. Yesterday we had a Beyoonka. That would be Bianca, or so I hope as that's how I pronounced it.

Knowah Truth (Truth is his middle name) was given to a baby 19 years ago in my hometown. I kid you not! I read it in our paper today this young man is now involved in a serious criminal law case. :(

So, I always see some fairly interesting names as I work in a doctor's office. Yesterday we had a Beyoonka. That would be Bianca, or so I hope as that's how I pronounced it.

I would pronounce it "bay OON kuh" because of the double ohs (oo). Pronouncing it like Bianca would NEVER occur to me!o_O

As far as the going by middle names thing I never understood that either. I went to school with two girls who both went by their middle names and I never knew why. They said their parents preferred the middle names so that is what they were called. Ok, but if that is the case why not make that your first name?

A high school English teacher told a story about how she grew up down the street with a family that believed the kids should choose their own names so they chose a middle name and just gave them letters for their first names at birth and waited to update it when the child was old enough to select the name themselves. I asked her what the parents called the kids because surely the parents didn't actually call their kids P and Q or whatever the letters were. Apparently they went by their middle names. Well then what is the point?

I know someone who goes by his middle name because he was named after his dad. His dad turned out to be a POS father so his mother started calling him his middle name because she didn't want him to go by his father's name. Makes sense to me.

I wouldn't name my children the same name as genocidal maniacs.
Or use 19th century names (Freelove? Um, no).

I dealt with a Mr. Janus a few years back - genuine, as his credit card proved. You can guess the calamitous first name...

My MIL thought Susan would be a good name for a girl...Susan Smith, yeah, I'll pass on that one (although no one probably remembers now)

I don't like alcohol names (I'll make an exception for Brandy), but I once had someone help me at an eye doctor and her name was Kahlua.
Car names aren't my favorite either.

I'm not generally a fan of names that are common nouns like miracle, destiny, faith, hope, grace, sky, etc. I don't laugh at these names or anything, I just don't prefer them.

I am also not the biggest fan of androgynous names.

I understand that if the person is a "junior" or it just ended up sticking, but I know people who always planned to call the kids by their middle name. I also don't quite get that.

On the other hand, I also don't understand when people are named a nickname. My DH knew a guy whose first name on his birth certificate was Jim. I don't understand why you wouldn't name the kid James and call him Jim. So I guess I'm not consistent with the belief that you need to name a kid what you call them.

I know someone who goes by his middle name because he was named after his dad. His dad turned out to be a POS father so his mother started calling him his middle name because she didn't want him to go by his father's name. Makes sense to me.

Well sure and I get that too. I'm talking about people who plan to call their kids by their middle names from the get go. I don't get it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter