• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FEBRUARY 2008 WDW travelers post HERE!!!

someone mentioned the AAA rates in this thread-I don't know anything about AAA- but I do know those AP rates are about the same as the AAA from what i have read from on this thread so far.

Last year, while in the quarter(New Orleans is about 40 miles south of us) i got the coolest suitcase-it is red with white polka dots and black trim and zippers. It is sooo Minnie Mouse::MinnieMo and I am thrilled to be able to use it so soon. We got it out of the attic today to start washing and packing for Disney Land. I know we will have fun together, but I am having some very minor twinges of guilt not bringing the kids. Can't afford it then , though, anyway and we NEED some time away. We homeschool and we are with DD's 24/7. This just goes to show I will blow my budget on them in souvenirs-in all honesty:angel: :rotfl: .

We go early Feb every year. Yes there have always been AP discounts for January and the first 2 weeks of Feb. In 2006 I paid $49 a night for Pop and in 2007 I paid $59 a night for Pop. There were NOT any general public code discounts this year for this timeframe. Some folks did get pin postcards, but did not receive them until early Feb, so hardly any time to book. I generally go during value season and the season will change to PEAK season, usually right before President's weekend. So look for the rate to change sometime around Feb. 13 or 14. If you book your stay during value season, you will get that rate throughout your trip. This year during our last few days of our trip before departing on Feb. 9 the home builders conference folks came in. The news was saying that there were 100,000 participants and alot of them were staying at Disney resorts. There were shuttles moving them around. We saw them at the WL and Poly and there were some moderates and other deluxes too. I looked at their schedule for next year and the conference is during President's Day Weekend, so I predict that weekend will be booked well beyond discounts being released. The conference is from Feb. 14-16 (which is the Thur/Fri/Sat of Prez weekend). We still plan to go next February and again will probably be the first week of Feb. or the last week of Feb. (we are DVC members so don't really need the discount unless we want to add a day). For our Feb 2007, we stayed at Pop one night before moving to the WLV. I booked my AP rate for my one night stay when the AP rates were released (I can't remember when they were released, but would guess in November or December--I'll update if I figure out when I booked).

We have gone every year for Mardi Gras for the past 15 years and can usually get a good AP discount at least.

I prefer when Mardi Gras is earlier as you seem to get better discounts-and I prefer slightly cooler weather. As far as crowds, it is hit or miss. When we went last year(Mardi Gras was the 28th I think), it wasn't as crowded. Two years ago when it was the 8th, the crowds were a little bigger than I expected. This year it should be really crowded due to President's Week, but there were codes still offered- although the ones last year were better and came out earlier.

Bottom line-you just have to be diligent about keeping a close eye on the boards for discounts!

See you in a day:goodvibes and at Mardi Gras 2008 in Disney! We will be there with our Mardi Gras and LSU shirts on!!

Mardi Gras was on Feb 5, 2005-also! Kind'a wierd it is going away from that date for a while!!

I found that information on this website:
http://www.mardigrasdigest.com/html/Mardi_Gras_future_dates_100.htm

Mardi Gras was on February 8th, 2005...according to that site. Although, Mardi Gras will fall in early February again in the next 50 years, it doesn't ever fall as early as February 5th.

Next 50 years...Mardi Gras falling on or before Feb. 10th....

Feb 9th, 2016
Feb 9th, 2027
Feb 10th, 2032
Feb 6th, 2035
Feb 10th, 2043
Feb 6th, 2046
Feb 10th, 2054

Speed :teleport:

ok- subscribing....looking for any discounts for rooms next january or february...if I booked now, and got AAA in 2 months or whatever, would they apply the discount rates when they came out to my same ressie, so nothing would be changed/lost?TIA:goodvibes

Yes...you can book now at rack rate. Then, call back when the AAA rates are released (usually in August) and ask them to apply the AAA rate to your room-only reservation.

If you want to book a package (room, tickets, dining)....you must book thru a AAA agent (not thru Disney) for packages. If that is the case, I think you have to wait until the 2008 AAA rates are released before booking thru a AAA agent.

We plan on going the end of Jan., beginning of Feb. Just got back the 23rd of Jan. but it seems like such a long time ago.

I found that information on this website:
http://www.mardigrasdigest.com/html/Mardi_Gras_future_dates_100.htm

Mardi Gras was on February 8th, 2005...according to that site. Although, Mardi Gras will fall in early February again in the next 50 years, it doesn't ever fall as early as February 5th.

Next 50 years...Mardi Gras falling on or before Feb. 10th....

Feb 9th, 2016
Feb 9th, 2027
Feb 10th, 2032
Feb 6th, 2035
Feb 10th, 2043
Feb 6th, 2046
Feb 10th, 2054

wow! It was probably the 8th- for some reason I had it in my head it was the 5th-oh and I agree with another previous poster- it was more crowded than expected in 2005. I blamed that on the Daytona 500 being the same week. We figured some families made a vacation out of it. I am going to look up the Daytona 500 for next year-I know it was on this past weekend!

Just looked it up-it is February 17, 2008 -50th Anniversary DAYTONA 500 -may be busy around the middle of the month. We may miss any crowds from that.

wow! It was probably the 8th- for some reason I had it in my head it was the 5th-oh and I agree with another previous poster- it was more crowded than expected in 2005. I blamed that on the Daytona 500 being the same week. We figured some families made a vacation out of it. I am going to look up the Daytona 500 for next year-I know it was on this past weekend!

Just looked it up-it is February 17, 2008 -50th Anniversary DAYTONA 500 -may be busy around the middle of the month. We may miss any crowds from that.

You may have been thinking that your vacation started on Feb. 5th since that is the Saturday. I've already been doing that with 2008 saying that Mardi Gras is Feb. 2nd since that's the Saturday that we will probably arrive in Orlando.

Looks like we will just miss the Daytona crowd. Qualifying for the race is usually the weekend before the actual race. Then, there are a series of events/races/qualifiers during that week that lead up to the race.

So...I would expect some of the crowd to start arriving on the weekend of February 9th....as most of us "mardi gras escapees" will be leaving.

Happy Mardi Gras 2007!

The Daytona 500 is 2/17 in 2008. We will be some of that crowd, arriving on the 9th to do Disney the week before the race, go to the 500 on the 17th and then leaving on the 19th. :cool1: Last time we went was in May '06 so I am looking forward to doing Disney in some cooler temps.

:wizard: Beth

I will join the code watch our plan is for feb 6th to the 12th for our 2nd trip ever

and will be watching this thread every day or so

(my little girl wanted to type her name) tina 6 :love: :banana: :3dglasses :cheer2:

You may have been thinking that your vacation started on Feb. 5th since that is the Saturday. I've already been doing that with 2008 saying that Mardi Gras is Feb. 2nd since that's the Saturday that we will probably arrive in Orlando.

Looks like we will just miss the Daytona crowd. Qualifying for the race is usually the weekend before the actual race. Then, there are a series of events/races/qualifiers during that week that lead up to the race.

So...I would expect some of the crowd to start arriving on the weekend of February 9th....as most of us "mardi gras escapees" will be leaving.

Happy Mardi Gras 2007!

when you mentioned Feb 2-it hit me-that is my birthday:hourglass - and we will be enjoying our first day in WDW-I gotta' think about making some birthday ressies!!!:eek: :banana:

My DH is a BIG NASCAR fan-he is currently teaching my DD's to bet - the car that comes in first(out of thier picks) has to buy ice cream for the others-or is it vice versa:rotfl: And so no offense to NASCAR fans, but I hope we miss the crowds related to Daytona 500 and its qualifying races- but with my luck it may be some other convention or something that brings crowds-so in that case-I'd rather be with the NASCAR fans!!
I am rambling now-just hoping for lower crowds in general!:yay:

Just reading about Mardi Gras 2008. How crowded will it be first week in Feb. 2008 :confused: ?? We have been to WDW twice the first week of Feb and the crowds were really light until Valentine's Day.That is the main reason we chose to go back during that time.

Just reading about Mardi Gras 2008. How crowded will it be first week in Feb. 2008 :confused: ?? We have been to WDW twice the first week of Feb and the crowds were really light until Valentine's Day.That is the main reason we chose to go back during that time.

we went in 2005 during Mardi Gras(mentioned before) and I would say the crowds were moderate-but we were expecting LOW crowds, mostly Lousiana folk. I was told it was a bit busier due to Daytona being the same week(end). Next year it is different-check out page 2 on this thread. Low crowds are the reason we go and went at that time of year too.
Another GREAT time we went was October-the week of Halloween. Just don't go on Halloween night! that was like summertime!

I went for Mardi Gras 2005, it was also mine and my twins bday!

We plan to go in Feb 4-9, 2008!

Looking for low crowds and a discount

did I mention wea re officailly booked!!
Going to Disney Land-DH and me only-in 13 days!

It is awesome to hear from Louisianians going for Mardi Gras next year! We are booked Feb. 2 - 7 and will be sporting the local attire also! I'm thinking a little LSU, maybe some Saints, and definitely some Mardi Gras stripes! Hope we bump into you there!

FYI- for those that will be there for Feb 1-the 180 days out day is August 5th- get up early if you are wanting ressies at Cindy's!

I will update these sorts of things as time goes on... counting, wishing... kids counting months right now! Less than 11 months!

Just Subscribing. Me and my finance were thinking of going to DisneyWorld for our Honeymoon next year so hopefully there will be some discounts codes. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter