• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fall 2012 AP Rates- is anyone else waiting?

Like everyone else I have been waiting months for these passholder discounts. I called at 7 AM this morning to be told that POR was eligible for the discount on my dates (Nov. 11-17) but there was nothing available. I'm so confused. DH and I have been passholders since 1997. We did let them expire in 2010 but just recently purchased them again. In all of the years since 1997 (excluding 2011 and most of 2012) we have always stayed on property and always had a decent to very nice passholder rate. That is without calling on the day the discount was released. I guess I just don't understand how all discounts were gone. Can someone shed a light on this for me? Were there only 2 rooms released for my dates at the discount rate, lol?? Are people who are booking free dining with rack rate rooms filling up my resort? Did Disney put the passholder rates on the website prior to 7AM this morning? :confused3 I was told to keep trying in case Disney adds more rooms to this discount. Is that likely? Anyone have any explanations and or advice for me? Trying to be optimistic... I am still going to Disney for a week! :) Just really could use a decent discount...

I would keep checking something might open up. Early yesterday morning I was trying to find a standard room at the Poly with the new fall offer. There was only lagoon view club level available. I checked again late last night and several categories had opened up, and standard view was available. Checking different combinations of dates might help too. This morning when AP rates came out standard view wasn't available, but I changed the dates and added an additional night that I really didn't need, and all the sudden it was available. I decided to keep those dates, but I have read where others are booking then calling to cancel the nights they don't need. I hope something opens up for your dates!

Well I was right. Once again the AP discounts did not beat the bounceback I already had. No rooms are even available at PORS. POFQ is $1371.00 (compared to the $955.25 I currently have with the bounceback). CBR is $966.00 and CSR is $993.00. Oh well, it looks like I'll keep the bounceback for the third time this year. AP discounts used to always beat the bouncebacks I booked, but not this year.:mad:

How far ahead do BBs usually run? We've never done a bounceback but we'll be there in Dec and we know we'll be going back in Oct. With the lack of availability and discounts for Oct the past couple years I would love to lock in a bounce back.

When I was there last Sept, free dining for the rest of the year was offered as the bounceback. I wasn't interested in free dining and knew I was going back in Nov/Dec so didn't book free dining, hoping for a room discount later. When I went back in Nov/Dec, there wasn't anything in the room for the first few days, but midway through the trip (around Dec 1st) a bounceback showed up for room discounts for most of 2012. I booked three bouncebacks for 2012 (May 5th-12, Sept 1st-8th, and Oct 27th-Nov 3rd). There were a few dates blocked out. I originally wanted the first week of Dec, but some of those dates were blacked out, so had to go with Oct 27th-Nov 3rd (I also wanted Nov 4th, but it was not included). Also not all resorts may be available for your dates. I wanted POFQ for my May trip, but had to go with CSR instead, so be prepared to be flexible with both dates and resorts.

dawgsgirl said:
I have been getting more and more disgusted with the AP rates. My resort of choice is POFQ and a 5% discount is an insult. So....I now have a few nights at POFQ with the AAA discount and the majority of the trip over at the dark side---AKA Hard Rock. Universal sent me a 40% off pin code and they got my business. Looking forward to our Orlando trip!!

Wow! 40% is great. Congratulations! Have you been to Universal before? How did you get the code? I am going for the first time next year and would love a great discount like that.

Wow! 40% is great. Congratulations! Have you been to Universal before? How did you get the code? I am going for the first time next year and would love a great discount like that.

I have been to Univerisal for the opening of Harry Potter. Guess that is how I got on their list!! NEVER a pin code from Disney. :( Hope you enjoy your trip to the dark side!!

dawgsgirl said:
I have been to Univerisal for the opening of Harry Potter. Guess that is how I got on their list!! NEVER a pin code from Disney. :( Hope you enjoy your trip to the dark side!!

Thanks. We are looking forward to it. I am waiting for a great discount from WDW as well. But I just found out I am going during Pop Warner week next year and am told that discounts aren't usually offered during that time. :(

mlamanna1701 said:
Thanks. We are looking forward to it. I am waiting for a great discount from WDW as well. But I just found out I am going during Pop Warner week next year and am told that discounts aren't usually offered during that time. :(

Depends on what you're looking for. We're at a Deluxe during PoP Warner and didn't have any trouble getting a RO discount. FD and Value resorts are probably a different story.

I would keep checking something might open up. Early yesterday morning I was trying to find a standard room at the Poly with the new fall offer. There was only lagoon view club level available. I checked again late last night and several categories had opened up, and standard view was available. Checking different combinations of dates might help too. This morning when AP rates came out standard view wasn't available, but I changed the dates and added an additional night that I really didn't need, and all the sudden it was available. I decided to keep those dates, but I have read where others are booking then calling to cancel the nights they don't need. I hope something opens up for your dates!

Thank you! I will keep trying... Taking your advice and trying extra nights too. :thumbsup2

Tltorrez said:
Depends on what you're looking for. We're at a Deluxe during PoP Warner and didn't have any trouble getting a RO discount. FD and Value resorts are probably a different story.

Thanks. That is good to know. I am staying Deluxe and hopefully a RO discount will be offered.

I second this. I had booked TPV at Poly and it was not showing as available for either the GP or the AP discount when I checked online yesterday morning. We decided to change it to TPV CL at Poly, which WAS available with both discounts and would have saved us about $450. By the time I called yesterday afternoon, the GP discount was available for the non-CL TPV room I already had booked and it saved us nearly $1300. The AP discount was still not available for that category.

As a side note, when I called around 4 pm CST yesterday, the CM I spoke with was not aware that AP rates had opened up - he checked while we were talking and saw they were available.

I gotta figure people are doing some switching and finagling right now with the new discounts, so there may be some fluidity in the room categories available.

There's nothing available besides All-Star Sports for our October stay. Wow, it's been a few years since I've paid rack rate for a room. General public discounts, AP discounts, FL resident discounts...no bites on anything! :laughing: I realize there's some sort of conference going on but we're going for our second wedding anniversary so we don't really want to change our dates, we want to be there ON the special day! Ah well.

There's nothing available besides All-Star Sports for our October stay. Wow, it's been a few years since I've paid rack rate for a room. General public discounts, AP discounts, FL resident discounts...no bites on anything! :laughing: I realize there's some sort of conference going on but we're going for our second wedding anniversary so we don't really want to change our dates, we want to be there ON the special day! Ah well.

I totally understand wanting to be there on your special day - sometimes it's worth paying rack if it's a special occasion. Did you try breaking the days up to see if the discount is offered for some of your days, but not all? So long as your reservations are all for the same room type, you probably would not have to change rooms - you would just stop by the front desk and sign a couple things and be on your way. Just a thought. I had to do that once with a promotion that had a 14 day stay limit and I was there 17 days, so I had to split it into two reservations, but considering how many people combine a RO day or two before or after a package stay, it's a pretty common occurrence to have more than one reservation to cover the complete stay.

Good luck and have a great anniversary!

Put me in the line up with other AP holders who are less than thrilled with this recent round of "discounts". I have two rooms booked Sun-Sat in mid-Oct at the AKL CL. The AP discount is not applicable to these rooms.:confused3 though the GP discount did get me a ever so slight savings yesterday. When I called today, I asked the CM to check CL rooms at several resorts--no luck! Somebody remind me again WHY I bother with an AP??

We bother with an AP for discounted admission to the theme parks. Anything else we get with it is a perk and perks can be changed or dropped at any time. We can never count on a perk being there.

I think a lot of us are used to the old days when a discount percentage was applied evenly across the board to all resorts of a given category, and being valid every day of the week. Now they are being much more statistical about it and offering discount rates according to where the lowest occupancy is, and most of the discounts apply to Sunday through Thursday dates, excluding weekends (which are generally more popular). I was looking for something in the Epcot resorts area. BCV and YC appeared to have virtually no discount, BWI was a little better, but BC and BWV had the largest discounts. So I booked BWV. To get the best deals you sometimes have to be willing to change resorts or room categories. It's a personal choice about what is more important to you - your resort choice or saving money. There isn't a wrong answer - mine changes from trip to trip. But most of the time you don't get everything you want at one time, so you have to prioritize. I'm sorry you didn't get the discount you hoped for. It could be that the CL inventory got booked up in the feeding frenzy surrounding the GP offer. Give it a week or so, and check back. Things should have settled a bit by then and maybe you'll get a better deal.

fla4fun said:
We bother with an AP for discounted admission to the theme parks. Anything else we get with it is a perk and perks can be changed or dropped at any time. We can never count on a perk being there.

I think a lot of us are used to the old days when a discount percentage was applied evenly across the board to all resorts of a given category, and being valid every day of the week. Now they are being much more statistical about it and offering discount rates according to where the lowest occupancy is, and most of the discounts apply to Sunday through Thursday dates, excluding weekends (which are generally more popular). I was looking for something in the Epcot resorts area. BCV and YC appeared to have virtually no discount, BWI was a little better, but BC and BWV had the largest discounts. So I booked BWV. To get the best deals you sometimes have to be willing to change resorts or room categories. It's a personal choice about what is more important to you - your resort choice or saving money. There isn't a wrong answer - mine changes from trip to trip. But most of the time you don't get everything you want at one time, so you have to prioritize. I'm sorry you didn't get the discount you hoped for. It could be that the CL inventory got booked up in the feeding frenzy surrounding the GP offer. Give it a week or so, and check back. Things should have settled a bit by then and maybe you'll get a better deal.

Very well said on all points!

I booked a 2BDR villa back in January. I knew my chances of a discount were slim. So I figured if I was paying rack rate I might was well book BCV and try out SAB. But I knew the chance of a discount was slightly higher at BWV so I took the chance. Turned out neither had discounts on 2BDR. But BWV did have discounts on 1BDR and Studios. So I split into two rooms and saved. Couldn't have done it if I had my heart set on BCV. We would be happy at any of the Epcot or MK resorts but BWV always comes out as the best value. Good thing we like it so much. :)

Hi Becky!

We had the same problem, wanted to stay in a deluxe for my 40th but the prices are ridiculous so back in Jan I booked POFQ for 10 nights with the AAA discount, 20% off.

When the GP and AP discounts came out not only was my POFQ price better but they didnt have anything available prior to Oct 25 so I decided to do a split stay, 7 nights POFQ and 3 nights YC. Wish I could have more stays at YC but I will take what I can get and we love both places so it is win win.

I found out there is a few conventions going on Oct 21-25 and one of them is a Bill Clinton one.

What I found to be crazy is we are 49 days away from our trip and I was able to redo all my dining reservations so my YC/BC/BWI meals are at the end of our trip....wide open dates and times.

Hi Becky!

We had the same problem, wanted to stay in a deluxe for my 40th but the prices are ridiculous so back in Jan I booked POFQ for 10 nights with the AAA discount, 20% off.

When the GP and AP discounts came out not only was my POFQ price better but they didnt have anything available prior to Oct 25 so I decided to do a split stay, 7 nights POFQ and 3 nights YC. Wish I could have more stays at YC but I will take what I can get and we love both places so it is win win.

I found out there is a few conventions going on Oct 21-25 and one of them is a Bill Clinton one.

What I found to be crazy is we are 49 days away from our trip and I was able to redo all my dining reservations so my YC/BC/BWI meals are at the end of our trip....wide open dates and times.

Hi Nicki!!

Woah...you got a 20% discount for POFQ in October back in January?! I really need a AAA membership! That's so much better than what Disney's been offering...no discounts until a month beforehand and extremely limited availability!

I can't really complain though since we're not willing to change our dates, not just for the anniversary factor but also because our time off requests have been approved at work. :laughing: At least it's just three nights, and rack rate at POFQ isn't TOO terrible. We do love the resort! I do hope this doesn't become a trend though!

Yippee, Wahoo! :banana: :dance3:

I think i just got the annual pass rate I thought I missed! I called Tuesday when the rates were released right at 7 AM to be told there were none available. I was so upset! It was suggested here that I keep trying and try adding extra days that could then be removed. I've been trying different date combinations online for the past two days and just now I found my discount!!!!

Now... someone please tell me I can call tomorrow and remove 7 nights from this reservation I just made and keep the passholder rate for the 7 nights I will be there? I'm not going to lose the 30% discount am I? I did not cancel my existing non discounted room yet either for fear I've messed something up.

I am tentatively excited until someone here tells me I screwed up or Disney does tomorrow. Crossing fingers and toes!!!
:worried:

Universal sent me a 40% off pin code and they got my business. Looking forward to our Orlando trip!!

We also got this via email - bummed that the dates are only Sun - Thurs though as the Disney discounts for our week start on Sun we needed Fri - Sun :headache: Oh well we are Universal bound for sure to see WWOHP and then to WDW for F&W and MNSSHP - thank goodness we booked that bounce back during our summer trip!

No, nope, nada.... Not when they clearly advertise resort discounts as part of their AP renewal - it's right on the dang card they sent via snail mail.

Quit advertising this as part of a reason to renew or purchase an AP then sure drop the so called "perk". But advertise it as a reason to buy / renew that is not a "perk" that is part of what you are paying for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter