• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

easywdw crowd calendars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet there are many who lament the days when things were more laid back and you didn't have to plan so far out...

For our upcoming trip (right after Thanksgiving), we have free dining and hoppers, but with the uncertainty with evening entertainment in particular, our plans are set for mornings/lunch... but we should be able to hop as needed most evenings to take advantage of what is happening.

I hope this helps us be flexible enough to get to the Star Wars fireworks and ROL should it be going then.

I also really appreciate Josh's info - and honesty about difficulty in predicting. Maybe it would be helpful to add those notes in the monthly crowd calendar section of the site so people understand a little better... I have seen a few posts here with this same question.

I wonder if this is an indication that the crowd calendars have gotten too big, that it's not just a few in-the-know people using them anymore, and Disney trying to reassert control. If you look at it from their POV, they put things like EMH in place in part to draw people to certain parks on certain days but now too many people avoid those parks on those days. I could see that being annoying from their POV. Although the crowd calendars were helping do the job they wanted done anyway in trying to balance out the crowd throughout the year (if the tiered pricing and fall and mid winter events are indeed intending to do that). But it seems like Disney's over done it with price increases and other things that have driven people away. I can't imagine they wanted attendance to be dead this summer.

Eh, I'm not sure that makes sense. I don't have scientific data here, but I would be more than willing to bet that if you polled everyone walking through the gates, the vast majority have never heard of the planning websites and an even smaller number are actually using a touring plan based on those sites.

I'm sure Disney has a reason (good or not) as to why they're withholding final operating hours and entertainment until very close to the date, but I doubt it's to "control" people. A lot of people are locked into a plan via ADRs and/or FP+ that are difficult (or impossible) to change so close to their trip.

It would be in Disney's best interest to give the information out further in advance, but they must be trying to figure out budget or metrics or something behind the scenes right now.

EasyWDW calanders are the reason why my son thinks I am a genius when it comes to Disney-I appreciated the strategy more than the "good" and "bad" days to visit parks-in 2014 the only day we could visit AK (due to also having other family with us and they had limited time) was on a "not recommended" day. But with the plan of what rides to hit first, what FP to make and when to hit the shows-it worked beautifully. My son that year even did all the Explorer badge stuff and happened to be right by Dug & Russell when they came out for their M&G and got his book signed and pic taken. I think the longest we waited was ~35 minutes for the Finding Nemo show-and that was done deliberately-got a snack and lined up in the shady area:)

We also usually went against the grain and did EMH-but hopped when it started getting croweded, or did late EMH in 2015.

So if Josh does come up with a new thing then how to tour a park on EMH days, party days, firework days etc may still be quite helpful! I bought a TP subscription and while I did use it for real time wait times (pretty nice actually) it didn't really help much with actual touring plans.

And yet there are many who lament the days when things were more laid back and you didn't have to plan so far out...

For our upcoming trip (right after Thanksgiving), we have free dining and hoppers, but with the uncertainty with evening entertainment in particular, our plans are set for mornings/lunch... but we should be able to hop as needed most evenings to take advantage of what is happening.

I hope this helps us be flexible enough to get to the Star Wars fireworks and ROL should it be going then.

I also really appreciate Josh's info - and honesty about difficulty in predicting. Maybe it would be helpful to add those notes in the monthly crowd calendar section of the site so people understand a little better... I have seen a few posts here with this same question.

I think that is a brilliant strategy! It lets you have the ADRs you want, while being flexible enough to hop to the park at night to catch whatever evening entertainment you want to see. Eat TS for lunch, plan on QS for dinner, get afternoon FPs and you're all set! Sadly, though, there are many people who can't afford PH.

That was really interesting. one thing he said...about the last week of april being busier than easter. We were there that week and found the crowds, except for Monday, quite nice. Hmm. I still use touring plans.

I'm leaving on Saturday(9/10). I didn't realize that this summer had been "dead". Should I anticipate "deader"?

Eh, I'm not sure that makes sense. I don't have scientific data here, but I would be more than willing to bet that if you polled everyone walking through the gates, the vast majority have never heard of the planning websites and an even smaller number are actually using a touring plan based on those sites.

I'm sure Disney has a reason (good or not) as to why they're withholding final operating hours and entertainment until very close to the date, but I doubt it's to "control" people. A lot of people are locked into a plan via ADRs and/or FP+ that are difficult (or impossible) to change so close to their trip.

It would be in Disney's best interest to give the information out further in advance, but they must be trying to figure out budget or metrics or something behind the scenes right now.

True that probably the majority of people don't check the crowd calendars but the number of people who do are increasing. Our first trip with kids I was no great Disney follower but a simple google search brought me to easyWDW. Both Josh and TP are starting to show that EMH days are starting to not be as crowded again. Because word is out to avoid them probably.

But your probably right that there is a more mundane reason on Disney's part for failure to get schedules out. I'm probably giving them way too much credit. :teeth:

I think that is a brilliant strategy! It lets you have the ADRs you want, while being flexible enough to hop to the park at night to catch whatever evening entertainment you want to see. Eat TS for lunch, plan on QS for dinner, get afternoon FPs and you're all set! Sadly, though, there are many people who can't afford PH.

Yeah, if park hoppers work for your family it's a great way of dealing with the problem. But they are expensive in both dollars and transit time. We missed Star Wars fireworks in May because they changed the schedule 2 weeks before our trip. No way we were giving up BBB appts to see them. And getting hoppers for our family of 5 just did not make sense for us.

And even now there are mixed signals heading into the fall. The Disney resorts are near 100% capacity for much of the next two months, but at the same time they are offering unprecedented discounts to annual passholders on 1-day tickets and extending resident discounts. It "feels" like everybody and their mother is going in October, but the attendance estimates that are out there are tepid.
How do these AP discounted passes work? Can I buy two for my niece and nephew over three days? I know I'm allowed a total of six. Can my kids and husband also buy up to six?

Another Josh/easywdw fan here. I get frustrated for people (not with them) when they get into a tizzy about some weird thing that "someone" "in the know" is predicting... how? I don't know. All this nonsense comes across my fb feed - one saying SWaGS is going away completely after October 1 because they hadn't released dates yet when anyone who is following knows that the slow release of dates has been the pattern for quite some time now. I can be a little bit snarky myself so I thoroughly enjoy the tone of his website and even before this thread, it has always rung way more true and balanced than anything else I have ever seen. This just reinforces that and it is a breath of fresh air for someone to say "listen, I am not going to talk out my butt to make people happy. I don't know the answer to this." I would rather "I don't know" than planning my vacation on gospel that turns out not to be true.

I planned my december vacation based on what I know to be true after 20 years of going to disney, some periods several times a year and then some with long breaks. I know some things have changed but in my 2014 trip I did find with FP+ booked in advance and stand by on everything else. I'm touring the way I know it works for me and in a generally slower time of year... how that actually manifests itself I guess we will see but when I went in 2014 September was WAY more crowded than I expected yet we did just fine. Having a plan but being able to deviate a bit based on current conditions can be helpful imo. I purposely planned to be at some parks on what were "bad" days (morning EMH days) because I felt that for those parks and my touring style the benefit of the EMH outweighed any crowds later in attractions I wanted to do that don't really have much in the way of lines (shows etc).

anyway just saying there is not going to be a magic bullet to tell you what to do. You need to plan and then be flexible a bit around the parts of your plans that can't or are hard to change.

I paid for Touring Plans. Hated it. To each his own. I guess that's why there are so many Disney Blogs...something for everyone. EasyWDW has made my planning so easy since 2011. And I love the humor. LOVE it! And I find his advice is the best out there. Luckily there were crowd calendars for September. But his touring plans will help no matter which day you go. And it's relatively easy to piece it together yourself based on all the info on his site.

First Tour Guide Mike and now JOSH!!! :eek::sick: I am really sad but I surely can understand. Disney DOES NOT make it easy with the planning anymore.

Maybe Disney's strategy is to make us all buy park hoppers so we have the flexibility to make changes to our plans at the last minute.
we always get PH because we travel in the fall when 4 of the 6 nights we are are in the parks close early for hard ticket parties.

Thanks for the write-up, Josh! This is my first time planning a vacation for myself and used a combo of crowd calendars to come up with the week after Thanksgiving. I'll admit I was a bit bummed when I realized his November 2016 calendar probably wasn't going to get past the "preliminary" point, but his honest write-ups and great touring plans (with times!) kind of filled in the blanks for me. Plus, I'm not all that big on nighttime entertainment. If I'm RD'ing every day, I can't really stay too late in the parks...:o

Of course, all I read now is how the Fall is going to be slammed, but- I guess I'll just have to see for myself!

I've been on the DIS for nearly 10 years - folks either see the humor in being a little anal retentive and owning up to it or they gasp in disbelief and think OH HORRORS and send me PMs to try to shame me away and chastise me. :rotfl: Whatcha gonna do. Just gotta laugh at some folks.

You know, I've been curious about this before I have to admit but didn't want to seem bothersome and ask lol

anyway just saying there is not going to be a magic bullet to tell you what to do. You need to plan and then be flexible a bit around the parts of your plans that can't or are hard to change.

THIS! I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I think some people need to step back and breathe and adjust their planning style. Disney is HUGE and you are NOT going to get to do everything you want no matter how much planning you do and no matter how early Disney releases their info. You cannot change the crowds in the park or the length of the lines. you can, however, change how you tour. You have to prioritize. I have always done Disney with the mindset that we can't do everything and we will be happy with what we can do. I have instilled this mindset in my daughter too. Is not seeing the MSEP parade really going to ruin your vacation? If you can't see it then pick something else to do! There is so much to see and do in Disney!

Maybe Disney's strategy is to make us all buy park hoppers so we have the flexibility to make changes to our plans at the last minute.
we always get PH because we travel in the fall when 4 of the 6 nights we are are in the parks close early for hard ticket parties.

I was thinking the same thing when I was typing my earlier reply about getting PH to be more flexible but I didn't want to say it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter