Duffy Bear Leaving Soon?

I could really care less about Duffy, I don't do meet & greets. But you can't compare him to Figment. Figment is a decades-old character with a great story and his own very popular attraction(s), and was the mascot of Epcot.
Duffy is a generic teddy bear solely created to sell you a bunch of outfits that they threw together a storybook for. Totally different, IMO. :confused3

Not knocking Duffy here. Really, if you like him, more power to you. But he's not a character like Figment. He's a generic stuffed animal.
Sadly Figment is slowly becoming a figment. :(

Sadly Figment is slowly becoming a figment. :(
I love figment too! But his attraction is never busy. At least when we go. I've always just walked on. I hope they bring him back. I would love to be able to meet him again!

Duffy is not popular overall. If he was he would be staying. I love him and many others do. But it's not enough. We were lucky we got him for the few years that we did.

Something I will never understand though is some people seem to rejoice in an attraction close/or a character removal if it wasn't their cup of tea but others liked it.
I don't rejoice when something is taken away that others enjoy, but I didn't.I guess I was brought up different.

I love figment too! But his attraction is never busy. At least when we go. I've always just walked on. I hope they bring him back. I would love to be able to meet him again!

Something I will never understand though is some people seem to rejoice in an attraction close/or a character removal if it wasn't their cup of tea but others liked it. I don't rejoice when something is taken away that others enjoy, but I didn't.I guess I was brought up different.

Figment's attraction is not busy because it's a little kid ride! Do you ever see a line for Triceratop Spin? Parents are drawn to the big rides.

Duffy was not a relevant character here in the US. In Japan he's popular, or so I hear. I know "of" him and his basic backstory but as others said I think this is just to tap into the build-a-bear market and sell clothes. Duffy is only seen in a few old Mickey cartoons right? If they wanted him to succeed here in the US they'd have to plug him in the MM Clubhouse as a recurring character that speaks and builds love w the kids.

I'm not glad to see him go, I'm really... impartial. He has no place just being a random bear w lacking story and no effort on developing him as a staple character.

A bit of his origin for those that don't know. Duffy was initially created by OLC (oriental land company) as a character at TDS. He was given more of a life because the market was placing a demand for it after the large acceptance of The Disney bear in 2004 at TDS (in the USA parks it failed and was reduced to clearance in all its various colors). In 2005 He was given a name, a make over, a story, a stage show and a purpose. A wonderful story was created for him and his personality came to life. To say Duffy is big over there is putting it mildly. Guests wait longer for him than any other character. When Duffy and friends merchandise debuts its new line every season it creates lines that are out the door with long wait times. Duffy was an after thought at DCA and Epcot (October 14 2010). Yes He was pretty much brought in for sales nothing more. You could buy him before anyone heard of him. The merchandise hit the stores before the meet and greet. Die hard Duffy fans in the truest form "laugh" at the merchandise that the American Disney parks offer for the most part. They find them cheap, in poor taste and lacking any imagination and creativity. The clothing and other merchandise offered at TDS is spectacular. In simplistic terms It's like their (TDS) Donna Karen and were (USA) Faded Glory (walmart). In September of 2014 Duffy was removed from DCA and replaced by Oswald the Rabbit (I believe he is gone now too).Now it appears to be EPCOT's turn.

The OLC invested time in Duffys creation, they gave him a purpose.

Last edited:

NOOOOOOO! I knew this would be coming, especially after DL pulled his meet and greet several months ago, but I still hate it. When Duffy first showed up in fall 2010, DD, then 4, fell in love with him. We bought the bear, and at that point he had country outfits in every WS country and she was asking for all of them. Boy did I curse that bear and Disney marketing that trip....but her love for Duffy continued....and the darn bear won me over. That bear went about everywhere she did for the next few years. He came to meals and ate with us, he sat on the couch and watched TV with her, when we played games he sat with us and "played" too. Whatever room she was in, he was always somewhere in that room too. She is 9 years old now, and she still sleeps with him every night and he still goes to WDW and DL with us and to the parks every single day (since that is his home), and although no longer all the time, he does still sometimes travel around the house with her or show up at meals or to watch TV with her or to play games with the family. We have read the book time after time. He gets a new outfit every Disney trip. He also has grown a few family members....little Duffy and jumbo Duffy have somehow made their way into our house....and I might even have my own Duffy (originally bought to replace hers in the event it disintergrated or was lost). We cuddle the character at meet and greets every year. He is pretty important in our family and it will be so sad to see him go!!!! Even though she knew he would not be at DL this year- when she saw his empty meet and greet spot (his replacement, Oswald, meets in a different location), a tear ran down her face.

Is he supposed to still be there on October 3 as his last day, or is October 2 supposed to be his last day with him gone on October 3?

Aw, sweet story :love: We have a Duffy family too.

I think our DD was about 6 and the story of Duffy was on the hotel TV and she just fell in love. Then we bought a Duffy of course. Then she found a map at a gift shop and I guess saw the Duffy greet listed on there. We weren't planning on going to Epcot again, but she insisted! We had to make a special trek over just to meet him. She was a girl on a mission! Since then we always try to stop by. We also used the story of Duffy to help explain things when her dad goes on his frequent business trips and how Mickey missed Minnie the same way she missed her dad, but the love is still there even when you are far apart.

We are going 10/10 - 10/18 in 2 months. My daughter just made a homemade countdown clock and started sleeping with Duffy bear. All 3 of my kids have one, some of them have 2 sizes even. This stinks!

I really hope this is just a rumor. My daughter collects all the different outfits for him and takes him along on all our different trips. We even made an album for him! The meet and greet always is crowded whenever we go, so it just doesn't make sense as to why they would get rid of him. Have there been any updates to this?

New Duffy merchandise is still filtering into the parks. As of now they will still offer his merchandise.

Last edited:
I have been making clothes for my kid's Duffys. I'm linking my latest creation, with step by step instructions. I'm not an excellent sewer, so if I can make them, anyone can! I posted a bunch of Duffy clothes ideas on my blog months ago, that I made from my son's baby clothes after he grew out of them. Here's the latest: https://aleasalbums.wordpress.com/2015/08/26/dressing-duffy-chef-hat-2/

Oh, I hope not! I missed meeting him whilst we were there last year, and have since acquired my own Duffy (and I'm 30 next week!). I think he's really cute and I was hoping to meet him next year!

It was awesome seeing how much the Japanese loooooooooooove Duffy and Shellie May when we were at Tokyo Disney in April. Here are a couple of our favorite sightings.

IMG_4322.JPG
It was crazy how many otherwise normal looking people we saw who were perfectly happy to be hauling a Duffy the size of a 3 year old around with them all day.

IMG_4700.JPG
Cutest Duffy ever.

I remember Duffy when he was called just a Mickey Bear and he came with a story book. I bought each of our grandchildren one and I still have one for myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter